PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' late struggles lead to firing of defensive coordinator

ducks
01-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Broncos' late struggles lead to firing of defensive coordinator

By PAT GRAHAM, AP Sports Writer
January 10, 2007

AP - Jan 9, 9:08 pm EST
More Photos

DENVER (AP) -- Larry Coyer didn't know what to say after he was fired as defensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos.

So he sent out a personally typed-up statement Tuesday. That way the always talkative Coyer wouldn't accidentally let something slip out of anger.

"I have the highest regard for him (Mike Shanahan) and have no choice but to accept his decision and do so with as much dignity and grace as I can muster," Coyer said in the prepared statement.

Coyer wasn't taking calls at his house, but his wife, Jan, spoke up on his behalf.

"He's going to be all right. He'll land on his feet because he's always trusted that God will put him where he needs to be," she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Coyer was dismissed after a promising season sputtered to a close with five losses in seven games. Coyer was in charge of a defense that started this season by becoming the first team in 64 years to not allow a touchdown over the first 11 quarters.

And then things unraveled. Denver finished 14th in the league in yards allowed as the Broncos stumbled from a 7-2 start to finish 9-7. Denver gave up an average of 27.7 points in its final seven games, including 83 points in two losses to San Diego.
"Make no mistake, I was very aware that some hard changes had to be made in several areas. ... I made my concerns known as it pertained to the defense," Coyer said. "Did we always coach and play to our best ability? No! No one does. ... There is always room to do better."

With Coyer in charge, Denver's rush defense had always been among the NFL's elite. The Broncos had allowed an average of 93.3 yards per game since 2003, second in the NFL in that period.

Last season, though, teams gained an average of 113.3 yards as injuries starting taking a toll. Denver lost starting safety Nick Ferguson to a left knee injury against San Diego on Nov. 19 and Sam Brandon, who played in the nickel package, to a right knee injury against Pittsburgh on Nov. 5. Linebacker Al Wilson didn't play in the season finale against San Francisco due to a sore back.

Ferguson was surprised by the news of Coyer's firing, but quickly recovered.

"It's a business," he said. "It's a high-pressure game and if we don't do our jobs as players ... "

He paused.

" ... You know what happens," Ferguson finished. "We have to move on. I'm hoping the person who comes in is the type of person who takes on the mentality of the defense -- tough and hard-nosed. We have a lot of character. We know how to joke around and play loose. I hope the person who comes in tries to maintain that attitude."

Coyer's firing came eight days after cornerback Darrent Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting following a New Year's Eve party at a downtown Denver nightclub.

Coyer served four years as Shanahan's defensive coordinator, earning the promotion from linebackers coach to succeed Ray Rhodes.

"Anytime a season goes as this season has gone, somebody has to pay the price," said Coyer, who's been with the Broncos for seven seasons. "Sadly, and with broken hearts for Jan and myself, regretfully that fate has fallen on my shoulders. I say sadly and with broken hearts because we have truly loved being part of this outstanding organization."

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
This is about right.

Coyer failed to make any adjustments throughout the season once teams picked up on the fact that the Broncos weren't going to be sending any blitz packages at any offense.

Last year it was the opposite, he failed to adjust when teams learned they could "dink & dunk" us to death.

mardigan
01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah with the personel the Broncos have, he deserved to get fired. To many good players to fall apart like that

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2007, 02:27 PM
...i agree. but when are they moving cutler to linebacker? that should shore up the 'D'.

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 02:29 PM
...i agree. but when are they moving cutler to linebacker? that should shore up the 'D'.

I don't get it.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't get it.

...i am just being stupid, forget it.

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 02:34 PM
...i am just being stupid, forget it.

You know how much defense I take to anything Broncos.

stretch
01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
the Broncos suck.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2007, 03:52 PM
the Broncos suck.

not as much as the titans.

samikeyp
01-10-2007, 03:53 PM
You know how much defense I take to anything Broncos.

Broncos fans are easily riled up. :lol
(sorry bro.....you know I had to have a little fun with ya after the "all Texans are" smack)
:)

stretch
01-10-2007, 03:54 PM
not as much as the titans.
possibly so. unfortunately, im not a Titans fan. nice try though.

samikeyp
01-10-2007, 03:55 PM
I would love to say the Broncos suck....but they had the same record as my team so an equal degree of suckitude was attained. :depressed

:smokin

Besides after what they have gone through recently......I couldn't do it any way.

johnsmith
01-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Broncos fans are easily riled up. :lol
(sorry bro.....you know I had to have a little fun with ya after the "all Texans are" smack)
:)

Yep, I deserved it.

leemajors
01-10-2007, 04:15 PM

that was damn funny.