PDA

View Full Version : Movie "Children of Men"

Fabbs
01-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Save time and money, total suckage.

Altho it does have a lot of mindless violence, abrasiveness and plot holes.
You "The Departed" lovers might like it.

leemajors
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
that's too bad, the book was written by one of my fave authors, PD James. she's usually a detective fiction writer and the book is supposed to be excellent. i got a copy of an academy screener, but haven't watched it.

scott
01-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I thought it was really good

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 10:27 PM
If Scott liked it and Fabbs trashed it, its probably solid.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-10-2007, 11:44 PM
I've been wanting to see this movie just cuz it sounds like it has the whole brave new world thing goin on. Also want to see Pan's Labryinth. Looks like stoner movie of the month to me.

ATX Spur
01-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Children of Men turned out to be very different from what I originally thought, but was fantastically done. Alfonso Cuaron is a great director, and the actors nail some tough scenes. It's unpredictable, and the story is fascinating. I want to see it again.

Burn531
01-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Recently d/l it but haven't watched it yet.

Gerryatrics
01-11-2007, 02:12 AM
The book sucked. Sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked. The worst book I ever read. Every time I see the trailer for the film I get a headache because I'm reminded of the pain and suffering I went through reading that entire piece of shite. I find myself filled with a mix of rage and self-loathing just for replying to a message about the film loosely based on the book.

dougp
01-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I thought the movie was pretty freakin good ... all the scenery looks like it was ripped right out of Half Life 2 though, lol.

Medvedenko
01-11-2007, 03:38 PM
It was an amazing movie, touching and gripping at the same time. I believe people who don't like this movie, want all the answers spoon fed to them. The movie is quite simple and painted with broad strokes of dystopia and depression. It works on a lot of different levels. So far my movie of the year.

jinglejangle
01-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I've been wanting to check this out.
Heard mixed reviews on it, with the majority leaning towards good.
They don't make very make good sci-fi films any more so it has my interest.

01-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I'd love to see this one made into a movie.

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0385721676.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

MrChug
01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Aren't most children "of men"? I mean women too, but...oh well. Maybe I missed the point. And no, I'm not watching it.

Lady Marmalade
01-11-2007, 10:45 PM
My boyfriend and I are going to watch this one ( my choice ..previews look interesting) and I also want to watch Freedom Writers ( we haven't agreed to see this one, but I can always see it with my lady friends).

Fabbs
01-16-2007, 05:04 PM
that's too bad, the book was written by one of my fave authors, PD James. she's usually a detective fiction writer and the book is supposed to be excellent. i got a copy of an academy screener, but haven't watched it.
**************spoiler alert if you care************************

in gray:
Movie strays quite a bit from the book. Book has wife Julia as the pregnant one, and it's mostly about the intereactions between husband Clive Owen and Julia.
The foul smelling foul mothed Fishes are not around and the world is not in such abrasive hater chaos, just more like hopelessness.

There really wasn't a "human league" in the book. They just wanted to get away from the government so Julian could have the baby in peace (as I said before, she claimed she would simply die if she had it in the care of the government).

I think the Human Project in the movie simply served as the omnipotent protagonists. The "good guys" in a world of evil, corruption, and fear. I think you simply have to assume that they would have the facilities to care for the baby and the mother.

The Fishes thought the baby would spur the uprising. You saw this more clearly when the leader (I'm forgetting his name at the moment) says during the battle scene at the end (paraphrasing) "They've already started the revolution, and they haven't even seen the baby yet!" In the mind of the fishes, the comfort of the mother was of less importance then the "greater good" of starting the uprising.

Spurminator
01-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Pan's Labyrinth was meh.

King
01-16-2007, 05:22 PM
My boyfriend and I are going to watch this one ( my choice ..previews look interesting) and I also want to watch Freedom Writers ( we haven't agreed to see this one, but I can always see it with my lady friends).

Isn't that just Dangerous Minds: Redux?

slayermin
01-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Great movie. Clive Owens and Michael Caine were incredible.

"Cough. Do you taste strawberries? That's what it's called. Strawberry Puff." :lol

Faccia di Angelo
01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
I really liked it too. I didn't want to see it at first from what I saw of the previews but I'm glad I did. I thought it was a great movie, well done and I enjoyed it. I've been recommending it to everyone along with Night at the Museum..which I didn't want to watch either lol

Fabbs
01-24-2007, 12:54 PM
If Scott liked it and Fabbs trashed it, its probably solid.
So Manuel did you see it?

resistanze
01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
I agree with Fabbs, movie was ass. I watched it again with my sister and she agreed.

Nbadan
01-24-2007, 03:12 PM
The Children of Men is among the top 250 films of all time on IMDB (currently #160). It's also been nominated for 3 Oscars. That said, the cinematography isn't for everyone, although there are some really cool battle scenes and even blood on the lenses of the camera in one scene, a rarity in film that adds to the effect. I’ve never read the book, but perhaps I would have felt more association with the characters since there was little character development in the movie. (spoiler) One star dies in the first half…

(Spoiler alert)

Overall, I don't really know what all the hype is about; the viewer is forced to draw his own conclusions about the causes of its own supposed genocide. Kee being left on the boat at the end was anti-climactic and we never really know what the Human Genome Project is about, or even if it really exists.

It’s no Gattaca.

MannyIsGod
01-24-2007, 04:16 PM
I managed to miss Dan's spoiler, but I think perhaps Dan should go back and edit his post to the way Fabbs made his.

I hate spoilers and I wish people would use common sense when posting them. Adding a (spoiler alert) and then 2 lines later in the same text continuing on with the spoiler is pretty shitty, IMO.

Nbadan
01-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Well, it's a pretty shitty movie. Wait for the DVD.

PakiDan
01-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Saw it today... Great movie. Smart, and gripping. Scary.

Lady Marmalade
01-29-2007, 01:09 AM
Isn't that just Dangerous Minds: Redux?

HAHA that's what my boyfriend says... So Not sure if my lady friends will want to see it or if I want to wait to see the DVD

Children of Men was a good movie.