PDA

View Full Version : Pacers @ Wolves (11/9/2004) Call it now.

pooh
11-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Here is your chance...there will be a gamechat but only on Yahoo (cause it's my team and I can't get in this chatroom) and you'll have to PM me for the way in.

SCOUTING REPORT
The Pacers (3-0) are beginning to look like themselves again. Jermaine O'Neal expects to return to the starting lineup against Minnesota (2-1), where he'll square off with friendly rival Kevin Garnett. O'Neal sat out the first regular-season game with a sore foot and came off the bench in the last two.

"I don't think I'm going to come off the bench this time," O'Neal said. "I really look forward to playing Kevin Garnett because he brings so much to the table. It's a huge obstacle for me because I haven't really played that much this season but I'm up for the challenge and my teammates are up for it and we're going to try to go 4-0 and be undefeated on the road so far."

Center Scot Pollard returned to practice Monday and is expected to be back in the lineup, as well. Pollard sat out Saturday night's victory over Chicago with a stiff back.

An interesting and unexpected trend showed signs of developing in the last two victories. In both games, team rallied in the absence of both All-Star forwards, O'Neal and Ron Artest. In Boston on Friday night, the Pacers trailed 77-71 when both went to the bench, and a comeback began immediately. Against Chicago on Saturday night, the role-players finished the third period on a 21-10 run that put the game out of reach. In those two victories, the Pacers outscored their opponents 31-17 when both Artest and O'Neal were out of the game.

"I think we've got a professional group of guys and a veteran group of guys that don't panic because those guys aren't out there," said Austin Croshere. "Guys aren't necessarily trying to prove themselves, they're out there trying to do the things we've done as a team all along: play hard and execute our offense."

A central figure in both games was Fred Jones, who figured to play sparingly this season but, with Reggie Miller injured, suddenly is the sixth man. Jones had career highs of eight rebounds against Boston and four 3-pointers against Chicago and is averaging 12.0 points thus far.

"Since we've had a couple of guys out, we've really realized it has to be a team effort," Jones said. "There's no individuals that can carry the load right now. Everybody has to be accountable."

WHO'S HOT

Ron Artest leads the Pacers in scoring (24.3) and is tied for the lead in rebounding (7.0). ... Austin Croshere averaged 15.7 points and 6.0 rebounds in three starts at power forward. ... Fred Jones is averaging 12.0 points and 3.7 rebounds off the bench while shooting .571 from the field. ... David Harrison has totaled 12 points and nine reobunds in 40 minutes. ... Garnett is shooting .576 from the fllor and averaging 27.3 points, 16.7 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 3.0 blocks. ... Trenton Hassell is 11 of 15 from the field (.733).

WHO'S NOT

The Pacers are averaging 20.3 turnovers. ... Tinsley is 8 of 25 from the field (.320). ... Minnesota point guards Sam Cassell and Troy Hudson are shooting a combined .338 from the field (23 of 68).

KEY MATCHUP

Jamaal Tinsley vs. Sam Cassell - Tinsley is as big a reason as any the Pacers have averaged 103.0 points in the first three games, totaling 31 assists and just 11 turnovers. He has had periodic struggles with Cassell, whose motormouth personality and relentless offensive game can wear out an opponent. The Pacers needs Tinsley to remain in command and under control and not get caught up in an individual duel with Cassell.

INJURIES

Pacers - C Scott Pollard (back) is probable; F Jonathan Bender (knee) is doubtful; G Reggie Miller (hand), C Jeff Foster (hip) and G Anthony Johnson (hand) are on the injured list.

Timberwolves - F Ndubi Ebi (knee) is on the injured list.

Pacers 105
Wolves 98

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Wolves by 4.