PDA

View Full Version : Hill: How to stop Tim Duncan

DieMrBond
01-10-2007, 06:12 PM
HOW TO STOP TIM DUNCAN
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6349248

Each week we'll enlist the help of a scout or coach and attempt to find some way to stop the league's most unstoppable players.

Tim Duncan

This defensive dilemma doesn't figure to be as severe until the San Antonio Spurs start marching into the playoffs. When that occurs, the game will slow down and their superstar center (I don't care what anyone says ... he's no stinkin' power forward) will be more involved.

Anyway, with that established, let's visit with an assistant coach currently employed by a Western Conference team. When the subject is stopping — well, slowing down — Duncan, this X-and-O guy goes a bit against the grain.

"Allow the Spurs to go ahead and start their offense on the right side," the coach said. "This will have Duncan on the left block facing out and make him turn over his right shoulder into the middle."

And that's good for us, bad for him?

"Well, he's more efficient turning both ways than anyone out there, but you have a better chance if he's going over his right shoulder to the middle. Obviously, you don't want to let him drop step baseline and make a lay-up. So, if you can keep him on the left block facing out and turn him over his right shoulder into help, you're golden."

You're really and truly golden?

"Well, maybe. If your help defense is late rotating, you're toast. But if he's got it going, you send the guy guarding (Bruce) Bowen to double on the entry pass. When the ball goes back to Bowen, run at him and make him put the ball on the floor. He doesn't enjoy that."

Thanks for the insight, and thanks for killing any future column that includes advice on how to guard Bruce Bowen.

T Park
01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
pffft

coulda told ya that :lol

Bob Lanier
01-10-2007, 06:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/0607/photo/a_duncan_vt.jpg

Dre_7
01-10-2007, 06:25 PM

:lol

wildbill2u
01-10-2007, 06:32 PM
HOW TO STOP TIM DUNCAN
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6349248

Each week we'll enlist the help of a scout or coach and attempt to find some way to stop the league's most unstoppable players.

Tim Duncan

This defensive dilemma doesn't figure to be as severe until the San Antonio Spurs start marching into the playoffs. When that occurs, the game will slow down and their superstar center (I don't care what anyone says ... he's no stinkin' power forward) will be more involved.

Anyway, with that established, let's visit with an assistant coach currently employed by a Western Conference team. When the subject is stopping — well, slowing down — Duncan, this X-and-O guy goes a bit against the grain.

"Allow the Spurs to go ahead and start their offense on the right side," the coach said. "This will have Duncan on the left block facing out and make him turn over his right shoulder into the middle."

And that's good for us, bad for him?

"Well, he's more efficient turning both ways than anyone out there, but you have a better chance if he's going over his right shoulder to the middle. Obviously, you don't want to let him drop step baseline and make a lay-up. So, if you can keep him on the left block facing out and turn him over his right shoulder into help, you're golden."

You're really and truly golden?

"Well, maybe. If your help defense is late rotating, you're toast. But if he's got it going, you send the guy guarding (Bruce) Bowen to double on the entry pass. When the ball goes back to Bowen, run at him and make him put the ball on the floor. He doesn't enjoy that."

Thanks for the insight, and thanks for killing any future column that includes advice on how to guard Bruce Bowen.
Or you could foul him early and put him on the line. That not only stops his rhthym, he doesn't shoot them with consistency.

SequSpur
01-10-2007, 07:31 PM
IF they stop Duncan, than they can't stop Webber...

Hell yeah... Webber and duncan will dominate the NBA!

dbestpro
01-10-2007, 08:37 PM
I wonder if Duncan looks at Oden. The kid shot 9 of 10 free throws in a game recently with his left hand. His right hand is in a cast, he's right handed and only 18.

timvp
01-10-2007, 08:41 PM
The way to stop Tim is to play him in a regular season game in the middle of the year. He usually starts and ends the regular season well, but in the last few years, he just goes thru the motions from December to March.

VaSpursFan
01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
The way to stop Tim is to play him in a regular season game in the middle of the year. He usually starts and ends the regular season well, but in the last few years, he just goes thru the motions from December to March.

this is true

Texas_Ranger
01-10-2007, 09:33 PM
You just need to double-team him and he can't do nothing.

TDfan2007
01-11-2007, 01:11 AM
You just need to double-team him and he can't do nothing.

Except find the open man every time...

polandprzem
01-11-2007, 03:51 AM

Have you got splits somwhere?

I would like to know if those best 2 years (2002 and 3) wasn't he gettig better and better as the season progressed.

slayermin
01-11-2007, 03:57 AM
TD doesn't shoot that 16 to 18 footer anymore. All of his shots are in or around the paint which probably explains his incredible FGP.

It's great that he basically wants desert before dinner but his game is much more limited than his MVP years.

bdictjames
01-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Duncan knows better than do what this guy says on real games

Taco
01-11-2007, 01:53 PM
HOW TO STOP TIM DUNCAN

:wow :lol :lmao :lmao

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Bob Hill doesn't know jack about defense.

Taco
01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
HE DOESN'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT SOCKS ALSO

Solid D
01-11-2007, 04:36 PM

True......and um, also, Randy Hill wrote the article. :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2007, 05:44 PM
True......and um, also, Randy Hill wrote the article. :)

Solid, my friend, my homie, my old school buddie, please tell me that my sarcasm wasn't lost on you.

I'd expect such a thing from a Mavs fan, but you...YOU?!! You,Solid D, the second greatest person on the earth, second only to...The Manu!

Solid D
01-11-2007, 05:48 PM
:lol
That'll teach me to look and think before I type.

:sleep

Solid D
01-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Please forgive me, Edgar.

They need a smilie for "go stand in the corner".