PDA

View Full Version : Pinko terraist lover Sam Brownback opposes surge

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Brownback opposes Bush plan for troop increase in Iraq
SAM HANANEL
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Sen. Sam Brownback said Wednesday he opposes President Bush's plan to send more troops to Iraq, a departure from his previous support for Bush's Iraq policy.

"I do not believe that sending more troops to Iraq is the answer," the Kansas Republican said in a written statement from Baghdad, where he met Tuesday with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and other top officials to discuss U.S. policy in Iraq.

"Iraq requires a political rather than a military solution," Brownback said.

Brownback, who is planning a bid for the White House, said he came away from meetings with al-Maliki and other Iraqi leaders "convinced that the United States should not increase its involvement until Sunnis and Shi'a are more willing to cooperate with each other instead of shooting at each other."

Bush was to announced in a televised address Wednesday night plans to send 21,500 more U.S. troops to Iraq and concede that it was a mistake not to have sent more forces there earlier.

Brownback's comments will not help Bush as he tries to rally GOP support for his plan. Other Republican lawmakers, including Minnesota Sen. Norm Coleman, have said an escalation of U.S. forces isn't the answer to the violence in Iraq.

Other Kansas lawmakers were waiting until Bush delivered his speech to comment on the plan.

Brownback said he has long supported the goal of a free Iraq, but he stressed the need for Iraqi leaders to assume more of the burden for reducing violence.

"While we cannot make a precipitous withdrawal, we can transfer more security responsibility to the Iraqis and reduce the threat to American troops," Brownback said.

Brownback said the United States "cannot sustain a war effort without broad public support, and we cannot count on such support unless the situation in Iraq improves and American casualties decrease."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/16429419.htm

Most likely, plenty more Republicans will voice their hate for America tomorrow.

PixelPusher
01-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Who would've thought that McCain would be the '08 Republican candidate that's openly supporting Bush's Iraq's stategery.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Actually I think he and Lieberman want even more troops on the ground. If we're going to add more troops, that's probably the better choice, but the time for those kinds of numbers was 2003.

boutons_
01-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Brownback, that rings a bell.

ah, yes an asshole from asshole Kansas whose assholes elected him.

==================

December 19, 2006

Senator Removes His Block On Federal Court Nominee

By NEIL A. LEWIS

Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas, who blocked the confirmation of a woman to the federal bench because she attended a same-sex commitment ceremony for the daughter of her long-time neighbors, says he will now allow a vote on the nomination.

Mr. Brownback, a possible contender for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008, said in a recent interview that when the Senate returned in January, he would allow a vote on Janet Neff, a 61-year-old Michigan state judge, who was nominated to a Federal District Court seat.

Mr. Brownback, who has been criticized for blocking the nomination, said he would also no longer press a proposed solution he offered on Dec. 8 that garnered even more criticism: that he would remove his block if Judge Neff agreed to recuse herself from all cases involving same-sex unions.

( which is basically a Senator extorting judicial actions pre-appointment from a federal judge as a condition. "Toto, we don't ever want to go back to Kansas" )

In an interview last week, Mr. Brownback said that he still believed Judge Neff's behavior raised serious questions about her impartiality and that he was likely to vote against her. But he said he did not realize his proposal -- asking a nominee to agree in advance to remove herself from deciding a whole category of cases -- was so unusual as to be possibly unprecedented. Legal scholars said it raised constitutional questions of separation of powers for a senator to demand that a judge commit to behavior on the bench in exchange for a vote.

( 'Brownie, you're doing a heckuva an ignorant job" )

Mr. Brownback said that he believed Judge Neff's attendance at the 2002 ceremony merited further investigation, but that he had not meant to set any precedent with his proposal. ''It was the last day of the session and I was just trying to provide some accommodation to see if we could make this thing go forward,'' he said.

He said that ''this is a big hot-button issue'' (mainly in backward KS) and that Judge Neff had not made it clear that her presence at the ceremony did not mean she could not rule without bias in deciding cases involving same-sex unions. ''I'd like to know more factually about what took place,'' he said.

( liar. Facts don't count to this asshole, only pandering to his radical religious voters. )

On Oct. 12, Judge Neff answered a long list of written questions from Mr. Brownback. In her letter, she said she would decide any cases that came before her according to the law and the Constitution and would not be guided by her personal views. That is the same pledge that several conservative Republican judicial nominees made when asked whether their blunt personal statements opposing abortion rights and same-sex marriages would affect their performance on the bench.

Mr. Brownback, a member of the Judiciary Committee who supported those other nominees, has tried to put himself forward as the Republican presidential contender who best represents the interests of the nation's conservative religious community.

In her letter, Judge Neff said she had attended the ceremony in Massachusetts as a guest, not as a presiding jurist. As the ceremony occurred before Massachusetts's highest court approved same-sex unions, it did not have any legal validity.

One of the women in the ceremony, Judge Neff wrote, was the daughter of a family who had lived next door for 26 years. She said the families were so close that the woman was, in effect, a part of her family and was like a big sister to her own daughters. She said that she had delivered a homily at the ceremony and that ''it was no different than being asked by my own daughters to be part of an important event in their lives.''

Charles Fried, a Harvard Law School professor and leading conservative scholar, said Mr. Brownback's actions were improper. ''First of all, people go to parties for all sorts of reasons,'' Professor Fried said, and how one would rule on a case should not be inferred from that private activity.

Further, he said, ''It would be inappropriate for the judge to recuse herself from any such case because it is a judge's duty to sit on cases'' unless there is a clear conflict of interest. There would be a genuine conflict of interest, he said, if the judge had a financial interest in a case's result or had been associated with one of the parties in the case.

''For her to agree to any such restriction in this case would be wrong,'' said Professor Fried, who has been both a judge and the solicitor general of the United States.

Judge Neff's nomination was included in a package of more than a dozen nominees whose confirmation had been agreed upon by both Democrats and Republicans. Mr. Brownback's objections held up the whole roster of nominees.

Mr. Brownback said that when Judge Neff was renominated in January, he would insist only that the nomination not be approved in a voice vote, but one in which each senator is obliged to record a personal vote.

( just get their names in the record so the radical right religionists can swift-boat them )

=============

sorry, back to our regularly scheduled program. :)

ChumpDumper
01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah, he's the guy who tried to zing Obama by saying Barak was in "his house" when they were at an AIDS conference at Saddleback Church. Obama skunked him by saying church was God's house and everyone's house.

clambake
01-10-2007, 07:00 PM
When a republican from kansas turns on you, the party's, parties over.

PixelPusher
01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
When a republican from kansas turns on you, the party's, parties over.
Kansas turned on republicans last year, in part over the embarassment over the creationists school board members.

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Actually I think he and Lieberman want even more troops on the ground. If we're going to add more troops, that's probably the better choice, but the time for those kinds of numbers was 2003.

No telling if you actually have knowledge of military tactics and foresight, or whether you're just a bored cynic gone moderator.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:05 AM
No telling if you actually have knowledge of military tactics and foresight, or whether you're just a bored cynic gone moderator.I listened to Shenseki back in the day while you concluded he hated America. Who was right?

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:48 AM
I listened to Shenseki back in the day while you concluded he hated America. Who was right?

Link?

Where did i say SHenseki hated america?

what a liar.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:48 AM
:lol

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:53 AM

right on!

I too think talking out of one's ass and provinding no link or proof to back up one's claim is hilarious.

You learned to laugh at yourself.

I can see we're making progress. :lol

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Actually, I was laughing that you took that seriously.

gtownspur
01-11-2007, 03:57 AM
Actually, I was laughing that you took that seriously.

No one, takes you seriously. You thinking everyone does, is funny.

Sincerely,

Your Owner.

clambake
01-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Watchout Chump. Someone has a MAJOR crush on you!!!!!!