PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding in public?

easjer
01-10-2007, 08:15 PM
This has been a raging debate on my other boards all day long. I'm curious to know what some men think about this.

Is it inappropriate for a woman to breastfeed her child in public?

Is it appropriate for a breastfeeding woman to be discreet (either try to cover up, or if baby won't cooperate, be as discreet as possible and show as little as possible)?

When discussing this, is it a false analogy to say that breastfeeding is like sex/defecation - it may be natural, but is not intended for public viewing?

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-10-2007, 08:18 PM
This has been a raging debate on my other boards all day long. I'm curious to know what some men think about this.

Is it appropriate for a breastfeeding woman to be discreet (either try to cover up, or if baby won't cooperate, be as discreet as possible and show as little as possible)?

When discussing this, is it a false analogy to say that breastfeeding is like sex/defecation - it may be natural, but is not intended for public viewing?

(Second Edit: I'm really fucking tired right now and I don't think I made any sense with that statement.)

I've personally got no problems with it.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
i have never seen a woman breast feeding that turned me on or off, i could care less. as for it being inappropriate in public? meh, i don't think so.

SpursWoman
01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I'd probably be discreet about it, but it wouldn't bother me if other mothers did it wherever.

*shrugs*

Shelly
01-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Doesn't bother me. Most mothers I knew that were breastfeeding did it wherever, but just threw a blanket over their head.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Who cares?

midgetonadonkey
01-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I breast feed my dog in public and I don't care what anyone says about it. My baby needs to eat.

ObiwanGinobili
01-10-2007, 09:26 PM

Is it inappropriate for a woman to breastfeed her child in public? No it is not.

Is it appropriate for a breastfeeding woman to be discreet (either try to cover up, or if baby won't cooperate, be as discreet as possible and show as little as possible)? If that is what makes the mother or baby more comfortable (I know some mothers are incredibly modest, and some older babes are easily distracted) then fine. I am pro- "whatever works for the nursing pair" . I had one baby who refused the blanket, and the next one I;ve only had to use it a few times. the 'lift and latch' method seems to work just fine = baby's mouth covers areola, and shirt drapes well over everything else resting on babes nose. Also- nothing screams "look! look at me! I;'m nurinsg over here!!" like a large 'nursing shawl' or cover up. As a side note - women who expose their entire chest most liekly have other crazy issues too.

Yes it it. Nursing is eating. the baby is eating. The breast was biologically enginered to provide the best source of nutrition to the infant. It is only the american oversexualzation of the breasts that would make such a natural act "shamefull" or soemthgin that needs to be done out of site. It is not inappropriate for an adult to eat in public, it is definatly not inappropriate for a child to eat in public.

01-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I have no problem with it (but be a little discrete please) except for the patchouli smelling hippy chick that would breastfeed her kid in the pew during the padre's homily.

Vizzini
01-10-2007, 09:46 PM
as long as their is an attempt at discretion, I'm fine with it

Spam
01-10-2007, 10:28 PM
What is the big deal? A baby has to eat. You all don't really think baby bottles have been around forever do you?

tlongII
01-10-2007, 10:42 PM
As long as she is hot.

Bob Lanier
01-10-2007, 10:43 PM
No.

It's appropriate for people to keep their children to themselves.

When discussing this, is it a false analogy to say that breastfeeding is like sex/defecation - it may be natural, but is not intended for public viewing?Yes; that's a ridiculous comparison.

missmyzte
01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
When a baby wants to eat, you have to feed the baby right then. There's no "wait until we get home" with babies. Most women throw a blanket over anything that would be exposed so you don't see anything.

easjer
01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
My own opinion, which I didn't state in order not to taint the questions, is that public feeding is no big deal. However, I think the woman should be as discreet as possible - I realize that not everyone can cover up, and that's fine. I take issue with women who yank up their shirts, whip out their boobs and leave them exposed for a length of time while settling the baby. There is no need for that. And I don't think it is an entirely inapt analogy in those situations to point out that not all natural acts need to be on display.

But there was a LOT of debate today.

Bob Lanier
01-10-2007, 11:47 PM
What makes breastfeeding at all analogous to defecation?

And what's with the breast fetish Americans have?

MannyIsGod
01-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Its a freaking breast. What is so wrong about the breast and the nipple? For crying outloud I hate this country and their view on the breast.

ShoogarBear
01-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm all for it. :tu

But all the women I ask really get pissed at me.

SequSpur
01-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Breast feeding in public is fine unless the kid is like 7!!!! Then I have a problem with it....

Mixability
01-11-2007, 01:22 AM
I have no problem with it. But I absolutely hate those "rare" mothers who do it without any reservation, just to piss people off. I've literally seen women who look around for someone to tell them something, just so they can go off on them.

One time, at Northstar, I walked up to a mother who didn't have a blanket covering or anything, just shirt pulled up, baby going at it. I saw her eyeing the people walking by, like she was on a hidden camera show, setting people up. She was giving dirty looks left and right. So I walked up to her and said, "excuse me". She yelled at me, "YES?!?!". I asked her if she knew where the nearest restroom was. Stupid bitch thought I was gonna protest her titty show.

Phil Hellmuth
01-11-2007, 03:25 AM
omg a titty!!

a titty!!!

Slomo
01-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I really don't see the problem. Even on the discretion issue, although I kinda agree with you, she would really have to behave in a very lewd fashion to bother me. If in the process of feeding the baby a breast would get exposed I would attribute it to inexperience or bad luck and not to exhibitionism :lol

Sunshine
01-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. I used to breastfeed in public all the time and people usually didn't even realize that I was.

smeagol
01-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Its a freaking breast. What is so wrong about the breast and the nipple? For crying outloud I hate this country and their view on the breast.
I agree (except the part of hating this country :lol )

It's a freaking breast.

polandprzem
01-11-2007, 12:25 PM
When a baby wants to eat, you have to feed the baby right then. There's no "wait until we get home" with babies. Most women throw a blanket over anything that would be exposed so you don't see anything.

This is the answer I wanted to give.

As long as they show no breast , fine with me.

If they will show the whole tit :D - that is not very pleasant view

Summers
01-11-2007, 07:35 PM

That was going to be my two cents. :) Sometimes you have no choice where or when you do it. and from what people have said in this thread, you'd think it'd be a no-brainer (it's a natural thing, the mother should try to be discreet, etc, etc), but still, on the RARE occasion I've had to nurse in public, I have gotten weird looks from people. When the baby was really little (like a few weeks old), I had to take my 3-year-old to the emergency room, and after filling out all the forms and answering all the questions for the triage nurse, i finally found a little corner between some rows of chairs to sit on the floor and feed the baby. And some woman stared at me the entire time. it was very weird and uncomfortable.

midgetonadonkey
01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I cockfeed my chick in public.

Summers
01-11-2007, 07:42 PM
I cockfeed my chick in public.

:lol But are you discreet about it? It's one thing to see a man cockfeeding a chick in public (which, unfortunately, I have seen), but if you can see the whole penis, I mean, that's just inappropriate...

midgetonadonkey
01-11-2007, 07:45 PM
:lol But are you discreet about it? It's one thing to see a man cockfeeding a chick in public (which, unfortunately, I have seen), but if you can see the whole penis, I mean, that's just inappropriate...

No discretion with my chick. She just loves gobbling cock in public. Movie theaters, parks, ice cream shops, skating rinks....

MrChug
01-11-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. I used to breastfeed in public all the time and people usually didn't even realize that I was.

You keep believein that Sunshine...you go on and keep believin that. :p:

MrChug
01-12-2007, 12:39 AM
I actually think it's fine as long as it doesn't give the appearance of vulgarity and that there's an ATTEMPT to hide it from children, perverts, and democrats.