PDA

View Full Version : News for timvp

ShoogarBear
01-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Barbaro apparently suffered a setback today in his attempts to recover from the broken leg, but he's hanging in there.

timvp
01-11-2007, 12:27 AM
This is horrible.

Simply horrible.

Why must God do one of His creatures this way?

Solid D
01-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Could be Satan got a holt of eem.

timvp
01-11-2007, 01:38 AM
I need another update, Shoog. I just can't sleep at night without knowing about a horse's every move.

ShoogarBear
01-11-2007, 01:47 AM
NYT to the rescue:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/01/11/sports/11barbaro.1.190.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/sports/othersports/11barbaro.html?ref=othersports
Barbaro Set Back by Damage to a Hoof

By JOE DRAPE (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/d/joe_drape/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Published: January 11, 2007
Barbaro (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/b/barbaro_race_horse/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) was said to be resting comfortably last night after his months of slow, smooth recovery were interrupted by 36 hours of pain caused by damaged tissue in his left hind hoof.

The colt’s owners, Roy and Gretchen Jackson, and the veterinarian who cared for him while he was racing, Dr. Kathleen Anderson, said yesterday that they remained optimistic that Barbaro would fully recover. They indicated that this latest setback, part of a long and harrowing convalescence, was not as serious as previous episodes.

Each of them visited Barbaro and said the colt’s condition was improving as the day went on. Anderson said Barbaro was eating well and resting quietly in his stall in the intensive care unit of the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals in Kennett Square, Pa., when she left him in the late afternoon.

“I do not think it as dire as it was in July,” Anderson said in a telephone interview.

That was a reference to the period when laminitis, an often-fatal disease caused by uneven weight distribution in the limbs, first afflicted Barbaro.

“It’s a step back, a disappointment and a shock because we thought we were over the hump,” Anderson said. “But it’s not insurmountable.”

Veterinarians removed the damaged tissue Tuesday night, and Barbaro was listed in stable condition. The situation, however, was described as a “significant setback” to his efforts to properly regrow a hoof that was destroyed by laminitis, according to a statement released by the University of Pennsylvania (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_pennsylvania/index.html?inline=nyt-org)’s New Bolton Center in Kennett Square.

Barbaro, last year’s Kentucky Derby winner, has been recovering at the center since he shattered his right hind leg in the opening yards of the Preakness Stakes on May 20. In fact, his recovery was going so well that the Jacksons were making plans to move him to a facility or farm in Kentucky before winter set in.

Roy Jackson said the colt had shown discomfort in the past 36 hours primarily from a cast put on last week that was intended to help re-align a bone in Barbaro’s left hind hoof. The cast was removed Tuesday night. Some new separation of a portion of his hoof was found, and the tissue was removed.

“There was an area of his hoof where he was bothered by the cast, and by getting that cast off he has already shown some relief,” Jackson said in a telephone interview yesterday afternoon after visiting Barbaro. “I just left him and he was eating away at the hay, standing and putting weight on it better. The way it was explained to me was, the tissue removed was like getting an in-grown toenail removed.”

While the original fracture in Barbaro’s right hind leg appears to be healing well, veterinarians have always said they were more concerned about the severe laminitis that prompted the removal of 80 percent of the colt’s left hoof.

Until Tuesday, Barbaro’s convalescence had been going well enough for the Jacksons and the colt’s surgeon, Dr. Dean Richardson, to consider discharging him from the hospital for a more pastoral environment on a farm.

Richardson did not respond to requests for an interview yesterday.

It takes a year for a horse to regrow a hoof, Anderson said, and Barbaro was six months into the process and doing very well, except for a portion of his inside heel. Still, when Anderson visited last week, she said the colt was at the top of his form and looked ready to take flight in the Kentucky bluegrass.

“He was looking ready and forward to big green pasture — we all wanted it for him,” she said. “This sets things back, but not all the way to six months ago.” She added: “It’s not an overwhelming problem; it can heal given enough time. We all have to dig down and regroup. He’s had better days, but he’s had a lot more worse ones, too. He’s a fighter.”

As a longtime owner, Roy Jackson said he understood that a horse’s health could change “day to day or sometimes minute to minute.”

He and his wife have spent tens of thousands of dollars on Barbaro’s care and have said repeatedly that they would continue to do so as long as the colt can be free of pain and shows a will to live. Barbaro’s move is postponed indefinitely, but Jackson said yesterday that the colt appeared to be meeting those standards.

“Hopefully this is just a hitch in the road,” he said. “All we can do is give him the best care and say our prayers.”

ShoogarBear
01-11-2007, 01:49 AM
He's in the horse ICU? :lol

Damn, that's a long-ass article. I bet nobody writes an article that long about Tony Allen.

ShoogarBear
01-11-2007, 01:50 AM
It's also important that I note that I was mistaken. This is a problem with laminitis in his left hind hoof, and not the right hind leg he broke.

baseline bum
01-11-2007, 01:53 AM
He's in the horse ICU? :lol

Damn, that's a long-ass article. I bet nobody writes an article that long about Tony Allen.

The only good Barbaro article I ever read was the one where Bill Simmons said signing Barbaro would be Isiah Thomas' next move as Knicks GM.

timvp
01-11-2007, 01:54 AM
It's also important that I note that I was mistaken. This is a problem with laminitis in his left hind hoof, and not the right hind leg he broke.

Thanks.

I needed that.

ShoogarBear
01-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Damn, I saw saw the clip of him. He's limping pretty good.

ShoogarBear
01-11-2007, 02:00 AM
http://www.farriervet.com/images/cool%20A.jpg

ShoogarBear
01-11-2007, 02:01 AM
I guess Desinex doesn't help with that.

timvp
01-11-2007, 02:03 AM
BRB. Going to go watch SportsCenter for the latest.

Kori Ellis
01-11-2007, 02:22 AM
Please stop making fun of that horse. :married:

rayray2k8
01-11-2007, 02:27 AM
I say put him out of his misery and turn him into glue already..
j/k

T Park
01-11-2007, 05:07 AM
You guys are harsh :lol

angel_luv
01-11-2007, 01:09 PM
So Sea Biscuit has become Limp Biscuit... or sort of. :lol

Hank Hill
01-11-2007, 01:20 PM
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/149591_front200.jpg

Pistons < Spurs
01-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Barbaro feeling better, still faces long laminitis fight

Barbaro is bouncing back again.

The Kentucky Derby winner is spending hours in his protective sling, needed to deter sudden movement and make the colt comfortable as he fights back from his latest setback from laminitis.

"Oh yeah, he's not down as far as he was on Tuesday," co-owner Gretchen Jackson said Thursday. "He's coming back. He's a comfortable horse."
Barbaro
AP Photo/George Widman
Barbaro, in this recent picture, still needs to grow back more of his left hind hoof in order to fully recover.

X-rays on the 4-year-old bay colt showed no additional complications in either hind leg, and chief surgeon Dean Richardson said Barbaro was "acceptably comfortable" in his recovery from having damaged tissue removed from his left hind hoof on Tuesday.

"They're being aggressive in treating it," Jackson said. "I think it makes it sound worse than it is."

Barbaro spent part of the summer in his sling in his ICU stall at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. The ailing colt would squirm in the sling, which allowed him to shift his weight from side to side. The main goal is comfort.

"As far as his attitude, he's fine," Jackson said. "He's got fight. He just tries hard."

Barbaro seemed more comfortable Thursday in his ongoing fight with laminitis, a painful, often fatal disease, in his left hind foot. Jackson said Barbaro was not in pain, felt better and had a "decent night."

"We are reminded that the horse has a very serious condition that could rear its ugly head off and on," Jackson said Thursday. I'm concerned all the time. I've been concerned since May. They say he's dealing with it. He's not in pain. He's OK."

Barbaro has been rehabilitating at New Bolton since shattering three bones in his right hind leg just a few strides into the Preakness on May 20.

"He is getting up and down on his own and continues to eat and have stable vital signs," Richardson said. "We are considering several additional therapeutic options at this time. He is stable and acceptably comfortable."

Barbaro had become uncomfortable on his left hind foot in recent days a week after a new cast was put on the foot. The cast was removed after some new separation on the inside portion of his hoof was found.

"In my opinion, nobody knows why this happened," Jackson said. "He was doing good in the cast. It was the best I've seen him walk in the time he was there."

After his injury in the Preakness, Barbaro developed severe laminitis, caused by uneven weight distribution in the limbs. The result was that 80 percent of his left hind hoof was removed in mid July.

The disease, called laminitis or founder, involves inflammation and structural damage to tissue that bonds the horse's bone to the inner wall of the hoof.

"We'd still like to see him live a normal life," Jackson said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2727568

Nbadan
01-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Just clone him already, damn.

tlongII
01-12-2007, 12:50 AM
I wonder how many times they've got him to whack off so far? His sperm is all his owners really want.

Pistons < Spurs
01-12-2007, 12:55 AM
THE ARTIFICIAL VAGINA

The "A.V." is the tool most commonly used for semen collection from stallions for use in artificial insemination programs, for the semen to be frozen, or for analysis.

There are several types of artificial vagina available commercially. Although there are differences, they all follow the same general design format of having a tubular inner liner, usually of latex, which is surrounded by a fillable water jacket encased in a harder outer shell. Attachable at the distal end is some form of collection apparatus to capture the ejaculated semen, this apparatus will often include a filter of some sort to remove the gel fraction of the ejaculate and any detritus such as smegma.

Probably the two most common models seen in use in North America are the Colorado and Missouri models. The Colorado model has been modified by other companies but retains a similar basic design. Each AV model has different advantages over another, and many technicians, and indeed stallions, develop a preference for one or another model. These are some of the commonest advantages to each model that we and others have noted:

http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/laneunas.jpg

COLORADO STYLE

* Retains water temperature longer in cold weather
* Is more durable under extreme use
* Liner is cheaper to replace when worn or damaged
* If not too long, allows the stallion to ejaculate well clear of the heated liner, thereby avoiding danger of sperm damage by heat shock

http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/missouri.jpg

MISSOURI

* Is cheaper to purchase initially
* Is lighter and therefore easier to handle when filled with water
* Will allow for the addition of air to make the liner tighter
* Allows a less direct manual stimulation of the penis, which can be preferable with some stallions

ShoogarBear
01-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Is there an address to send get-well cards?

ShoogarBear
01-12-2007, 02:50 PM
THE ARTIFICIAL VAGINA
©Ray Allen

Shelly
01-12-2007, 03:45 PM
He needs some Quaaludes.

ShoogarBear
01-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Bump.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/01/28/bc.rac.barbaro.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Barbaro ailing
Latest surgery on right hind leg marks new setback
Posted: Sunday January 28, 2007 10:31AM; Updated: Sunday January 28, 2007 5:00PM
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- These have been bad days for Barbaro.

The Kentucky Derby winner suffered another significant setback over the weekend, and his fight for survival may have reached a critical point.

After Barbaro developed a deep abscess in his right hind foot, surgery was performed Saturday to insert two steel pins in a bone, one that was shattered but now healthy, to eliminate all weight bearing on the ailing foot.

The procedure is a risky one, because it transfers more weight to the leg.

If the bone were to break again, Richardson said: "I think we'll quit.

"When things start to go bad, it's like a house of cards," he said Sunday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "If one thing fails, that puts more stress on another part. And if that fails, then you're stuck with managing two problems. That's why these are difficult cases."

The right rear leg was on the mend until recently. It's the one Barbaro shattered at the start of the Preakness Stakes eight months ago, and the three broken bones had completely healed.

Now this. The surgery, in which a cast was removed and replaced by an external brace known as a skeletal fixation device, addresses one problem but could create others.

Barbaro likely will have to bear more weight on his front feet because of his two ailing back legs, making him more susceptible to laminitis, a painful and often fatal disease caused by uneven weight distribution. Laminitis already struck Barbaro's left rear foot in July, and 80 percent of the hoof was removed.

"It's something that we are watching closely, and that could also be a thing that could lead to us quitting," Richardson said.

The colt was doing well Sunday, according to Richardson, and "we will continue to treat Barbaro aggressively as long as he remains bright, alert and eating," he said in Sunday's update sent out by the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa.

Based on Richardson's advice, owners Roy and Gretchen Jackson have been making the decisions concerning Barbaro. Their major concern from the start has been to keep Barbaro comfortable.

"No one is interested in putting the horse through any type of misery," Richardson said. "We're going to treat him the best way we can as long as he stays comfortable. And we're going to stick with that no matter if his chances are 1 percent or 90 percent.

"If he gets to the point where we just don't think it's reasonable to go on, we will not go on."

After months of upbeat progress reports, Barbaro has endured several setbacks the past three weeks.

On Jan. 9, Barbaro had a cast placed on his left rear leg to help realign a bone. The next day, Richardson removed damaged tissue from the colt's left rear hoof, and Barbaro was placed in a sling to help him keep weight off his feet.

On Jan. 13, another section of his left rear hoof was removed, and a cast was placed back on his right hind leg for additional support. He was gradually improving, but last Thursday, Barbaro's left rear cast was replaced and a custom-made plastic and steel brace was applied to his right hind leg. The leg also was fitted with a special orthotic brace for more support.

In the latest setback, the right hind leg is again at risk.

The pins in the right rear leg are connected to an external brace, which is connected to a lightweight alloy foot plate. This results "in the horse eliminating all weight bearing from the foot," Richardson said Sunday in a statement. "The horse's weight is borne through the pins across his cannon bone."

Allowing the pins to bear weight carries "significant risk."

"We believed it was our only option given the worsening of the right hind foot problem," Richardson said in a statement. "Unfortunately, we felt we needed to take this risk because this approach offered our only hope of keeping Barbaro acceptably comfortable."

He explained Barbaro had been uncomfortable on his right hind foot because of an abscess that developed when the horse had a "period of discomfort" on the left hind foot.

"It is not laminitis, but the undermining of the sole and part of the lateral heel region are potentially just as serious," Richardson said.

On Saturday, owner Gretchen Jackson told The Philadelphia Inquirer that Barbaro was again facing tough odds.

"He's got a lot of issues, and not any of them is bad enough to say goodbye. But put together it's not a good day for Barbaro," Jackson said.

Sunday, Richardson sounded as serious as he did on May 21, the day after the Preakness, when he delivered the news that Barbaro's chance of survival was a "coin toss."

"I'm upset, worried, not sleeping well," he said. "A lot of people are very, very committed and spent a huge amount of emotional sources on this horse. So it's very upsetting when things go badly."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Extra Stout
01-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Anything less than a Kentucky Derby-winning colt with million-dollar sperm, and this horse would have been euthanized months ago.

The pitiful thing has gotten the "privilege" of months of pain so that its owners can attempt to recover their investment.

I'm not some animal-rights freak; when they kill cows at the slaughterhouse, that doesn't feel too great either. What I object to is the insult of my intelligence by the media implying that this is some noble cause. What this is, is rich people trying to protect their money. I'm sick of rich people trying to convince me that protecting their money is a noble cause. They trick ordinary people that way into fighting their wars and dying.

I say take Barbaro's owner, make him run until he breaks his leg, make him stand on the other one until it gets swollen and infected, then cut off 80% of his foot, leave him trapped indoors for several months in a body cast, and make him balance himself on his arms while somebody services him daily with a penis pump.

And call the whole thing a "noble" attempt to save his life.

01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I think you can now call him "Wilson".

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Barbaro euthanized this morning.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Does this mean we should bet on the Bears?

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Does this mean we should bet on the Bears?

I'd bet on Indianapolis. They'll rally around this story "win one for the Gipper" style.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I'd bet on Indianapolis. They'll rally around this story "win one for the Gimper" style.

Fixed that for you.

01-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Fixed that for you.

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

ShoogarBear
01-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Harsh crowd.

Pistons < Spurs
01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Barbaro euthanized Monday morning

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his breakdown at the Preakness last May.

"We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," co-owner Roy Jackson said. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

Roy and Gretchen Jackson were with Barbaro on Monday morning, with the owners making the decision in consultation with chief surgeon Dean Richardson.

It was a series of complications, including laminitis in the left rear hoof and a recent abscess in the right rear hoof, that proved to be too much for the gallant colt, whose breakdown brought an outpouring of support across the country.

"I would say thank you for everything, and all your thoughts and prayers over the last eight months or so," Jackson said to Barbaro's fans.

On May 20, Barbaro was rushed to the New Bolton Center, about 30 miles southwest of Philadelphia in Kennett Square, hours after shattering his right hind leg just a few strides into the Preakness Stakes. The bay colt underwent a five-hour operation that fused two joints, recovering from an injury most horses never survive. Barbaro lived for eight more months, though he never again walked with a normal gait.

The Kentucky Derby winner suffered a significant setback over the weekend, and surgery was required to insert two steel pins in a bone -- one of three shattered eight months ago in the Preakness but now healthy -- to eliminate all weight bearing on the ailing right rear foot.

The procedure on Saturday was a risky one, because it transfered more weight to the leg while the foot rests on the ground bearing no weight.

The leg was on the mend until the abscess began causing discomfort last week. Until then, the major concern was Barbaro's left rear leg, which developed laminitis in July, and 80 percent of the hoof was removed.

Richardson said Monday morning that Barbaro did not have a good night.

Brilliant on the race track, Barbaro always will be remembered for his brave fight for survival.

The story of the beloved 3-year-old bay colt's fight for life captured the fancy of millions and drew an outpouring of support unrivaled in sports.

When Barbaro broke down, his right hind leg flared out awkwardly as jockey Edgar Prado jumped off and tried to steady the ailing horse. Race fans at Pimlico wept. Within 24 hours the entire nation seemed to be caught up in a "Barbaro watch," waiting for any news on his condition.

Well-wishers young and old showed up at the New Bolton Center with cards, flowers, gifts, goodies and even religious medals for the champ, and thousands of e-mails poured into the hospital's Web site just for him.

"I just can't explain why everyone is so caught up in this horse," Roy Jackson, who owned the colt with his wife, Gretchen, has said time and again. "Everything is so negative now in the world, people love animals and I think they just happen to latch onto him."

Devoted fans even wrote Christmas carols for him, sent a wreath made of baby organic carrots and gave him a Christmas stocking.

Although the get-well cards and banners eventually will fade or be trashed, the biggest gift has been the $1.2 million raised since early June for the Barbaro Fund. The money is put toward needed equipment such as an operating room table, and a raft and sling for the same pool recovery Barbaro used after his surgeries.

The Jacksons spent tens of thousands of dollars hoping the best horse they ever owned would recover and be able to live a comfortable life on the farm -- whether he was able to breed or not.

The couple, who own about 70 racehorses, broodmares and yearlings, and operate the 190-acre Lael Farm, have been in the horse business for 30 years, and never had a horse like Barbaro.

As the days passed, it seemed Barbaro would get his happy ending. As late as December, with the broken bones in his right hind leg nearly healed and his laminitis under control, Barbaro was looking good and relishing daily walks outside his intensive care unit.

But after months of upbeat progress reports, including talk that he might be headed home soon, news came Jan. 10 of a serious setback because of the laminitis. Richardson had to remove damaged tissue from Barbaro's left hind hoof, and the colt was placed back in a protective sling.

On Jan. 13, another section of his left rear hoof was removed. After Barbaro developed a deep abscess in his right hind foot, surgery was performed Saturday to insert two steel pins in a bone, one that was shattered but now healthy, to eliminate all weight bearing on the ailing foot.

This after Richardson warned last December that Barbaro's right hind leg was getting stronger and that the left hind foot was a "more formidable long-term challenge."

In the end, the various complications from the breakdown at the Preakness were too much.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2747087

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, the owners should be well taken care of.

http://www.visit4info.com/sitecontent/LG/fullZZZZZZTVCCL0224181325PIC.jpg

Spurminator
01-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Tony Soprano is going to kick someone's ass for this.

ShoogarBear
01-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I hope you guys aren't going to continue to beat this de . . . never mind.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-29-2007, 01:33 PM
I hope you guys aren't going to continue to beat this de . . . never mind.

I'd keep posting in this thread, but I'm so hungry, I could eat a hor....uh, cheeseburger.

MannyIsGod
01-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Barbaro brand glue anybody?

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Did they at least jerk the horse off before he died so the owners can make even more money and this scene can be replicated in four year?

ShoogarBear
01-29-2007, 01:37 PM
That wouldn't be a bad way to die.

01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.lcoonline.com/email/060412_LBN-Snap%20Hillary%20Swank.JPG
Unavailable for comment.

Spurminator
01-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Is that the photo they used to get his DNA before he died?

01-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Barbaro euthanized Monday morning

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his breakdown at the Preakness last May.

"We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," co-owner Roy Jackson said. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

Roy and Gretchen Jackson were with Barbaro on Monday morning, with the owners making the decision in consultation with chief surgeon Dean Richardson.

It was a series of complications, including laminitis in the left rear hoof and a recent abscess in the right rear hoof, that proved to be too much for the gallant colt, whose breakdown brought an outpouring of support across the country.

"I would say thank you for everything, and all your thoughts and prayers over the last eight months or so," Jackson said to Barbaro's fans.

On May 20, Barbaro was rushed to the New Bolton Center, about 30 miles southwest of Philadelphia in Kennett Square, hours after shattering his right hind leg just a few strides into the Preakness Stakes. The bay colt underwent a five-hour operation that fused two joints, recovering from an injury most horses never survive. Barbaro lived for eight more months, though he never again walked with a normal gait.

The Kentucky Derby winner suffered a significant setback over the weekend, and surgery was required to insert two steel pins in a bone -- one of three shattered eight months ago in the Preakness but now healthy -- to eliminate all weight bearing on the ailing right rear foot.

The procedure on Saturday was a risky one, because it transfered more weight to the leg while the foot rests on the ground bearing no weight.

The leg was on the mend until the abscess began causing discomfort last week. Until then, the major concern was Barbaro's left rear leg, which developed laminitis in July, and 80 percent of the hoof was removed.

Richardson said Monday morning that Barbaro did not have a good night.

Brilliant on the race track, Barbaro always will be remembered for his brave fight for survival.

The story of the beloved 3-year-old bay colt's fight for life captured the fancy of millions and drew an outpouring of support unrivaled in sports.

When Barbaro broke down, his right hind leg flared out awkwardly as jockey Edgar Prado jumped off and tried to steady the ailing horse. Race fans at Pimlico wept. Within 24 hours the entire nation seemed to be caught up in a "Barbaro watch," waiting for any news on his condition.

Well-wishers young and old showed up at the New Bolton Center with cards, flowers, gifts, goodies and even religious medals for the champ, and thousands of e-mails poured into the hospital's Web site just for him.

"I just can't explain why everyone is so caught up in this horse," Roy Jackson, who owned the colt with his wife, Gretchen, has said time and again. "Everything is so negative now in the world, people love animals and I think they just happen to latch onto him."

Devoted fans even wrote Christmas carols for him, sent a wreath made of baby organic carrots and gave him a Christmas stocking.

Although the get-well cards and banners eventually will fade or be trashed, the biggest gift has been the $1.2 million raised since early June for the Barbaro Fund. The money is put toward needed equipment such as an operating room table, and a raft and sling for the same pool recovery Barbaro used after his surgeries.

The Jacksons spent tens of thousands of dollars hoping the best horse they ever owned would recover and be able to live a comfortable life on the farm -- whether he was able to breed or not.

The couple, who own about 70 racehorses, broodmares and yearlings, and operate the 190-acre Lael Farm, have been in the horse business for 30 years, and never had a horse like Barbaro.

As the days passed, it seemed Barbaro would get his happy ending. As late as December, with the broken bones in his right hind leg nearly healed and his laminitis under control, Barbaro was looking good and relishing daily walks outside his intensive care unit.

But after months of upbeat progress reports, including talk that he might be headed home soon, news came Jan. 10 of a serious setback because of the laminitis. Richardson had to remove damaged tissue from Barbaro's left hind hoof, and the colt was placed back in a protective sling.

On Jan. 13, another section of his left rear hoof was removed. After Barbaro developed a deep abscess in his right hind foot, surgery was performed Saturday to insert two steel pins in a bone, one that was shattered but now healthy, to eliminate all weight bearing on the ailing foot.

This after Richardson warned last December that Barbaro's right hind leg was getting stronger and that the left hind foot was a "more formidable long-term challenge."

In the end, the various complications from the breakdown at the Preakness were too much.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2747087

Well shit, NOW who is going to go #1 in the WNBA draft?????

timvp
01-29-2007, 02:31 PM
R.I.P.

:depressed

Shelly
01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
http://www.lcoonline.com/email/060412_LBN-Snap%20Hillary%20Swank.JPG
Unavailable for comment.

:rollin

I'll raise you:

http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/Actors3/Rivers_Sd1073305_150x200.jpg

01-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Trifecta?

http://www.oslo.net/historie/OL/gifs/kerrigan.gif

Shelly
01-29-2007, 02:43 PM
:rollin :rollin :rollin

boutons_
01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Did they jerk him off a few dozen times and get his semen on ice?

"They Clone Cows, Don't They"?

How about an order for 25 Barbero clones?

01-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Did they jerk him off a few dozen times and get his semen on ice?

"They Clone Cows, Don't They"?

How about an order for 25 Barbero clones?

Boutons, you ignorant slut. (http://www.jockeyclub.com/registry.asp?section=3#one)

kingsfan
01-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Poor Barbaro, RIP.http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smicry.gif

to21
01-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I say put him out of his misery and turn him into glue already..
j/k

Wish granted. :lol

boutons_
01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
1369, go fuck yourself.

Can't answer my question? Didn't think so.

Klonetucky Derby sounds like a money spinner to me.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
what the fuck are yall talkin about

01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
1369, go fuck yourself.

Can't answer my question? Didn't think so.

Klonetucky Derby sounds like a money spinner to me.

Well no, I can't answer your question you miserable fucktard since I was not there, but if you would pull your head out of your ass once in a while you would have read in the link I provided you that even if they did harvest sperm, they couldn't market it for another racing horse since by rule artificial insemination isn't allowed in racing horse breeding.

So then tell me Einstien, why would they, in your words "jerk him off a few dozen times", or are you just projecting your want to advance from playing "red rocket" with your shar-pei to something bigger?

angel_luv
01-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Did they kill the horse just because he couldn't race anymore? If so that is seriously messed up!

Extra Stout
01-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Did they kill the horse just because he couldn't race anymore? If so that is seriously messed up!
No, they put down the horse because he was never going to be able to stand up on his own ever again, and horses die if they can't stand.

KEDA
01-29-2007, 11:33 PM
no V, sadly the horse was in extreme discomfort, and had developed another injury stemming from the broken leg.

it is really sad though.

angel_luv
01-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks for explaining... what I saw on the news wasn't very clear.

tlongII
01-29-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm hungry.