PDA

View Full Version : Wish List

Brodels
11-08-2004, 08:45 PM
I wish for...

1. Another perimeter shooter

2. Another tough inside physical presence

3. Another athletic swingman/scorer

The Spurs couldn't shoot the ball and played soft. It will happen again. Hopefully not in the playoffs.

The Spurs have some great pieces, but they need another shooter and some toughness. Hopefully they can get it done.

timvp
11-08-2004, 10:02 PM
I think the Spurs already have those answers.

Parker needs to hit his outside shots. In the first three regular season games, his outside shot is off. If he's hitting, then Barry, Manu, Bowen and Brown will be enough.

Rose and Massenburg need to play more. Horry needs to play less.

Devin Brown needs more minutes.

Sec24Row7
11-08-2004, 10:15 PM
We are the best team in the league.

What more do you want?

When our offense of the first 2 games clicks with what our defense should be capable of, this team will be better than either 99 or 03.

Rick Von Braun
11-08-2004, 10:57 PM
I wish for...

1. World Peace.

2. 100M dollars bank account. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

smeagol
11-08-2004, 11:16 PM
I wish for...

1. World Peace.

I thought that's what Andie MacDowell wished for in Groundhog Day . . .

No . . . that's what she drank for . . . "to World Peace"

T Park
11-09-2004, 12:01 AM
and studied 19th century french poetry

"Pfft, what a big waste of time that was" :rollin

Spurminator
11-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I wish for February to begin tomorrow, so we really know what to expect from this team.

jcrod
11-09-2004, 10:52 AM
I wish for...

The Spurs couldn't shoot the ball and played soft. It will happen again. Hopefully not in the playoffs.

The Spurs have some great pieces, but they need another shooter and some toughness. Hopefully they can get it done.

UH, this isn't the off season. We're only three games in, calm down. We have everybody we need when Johnson comes off the IR.

bigzak25
11-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Parker will not hit his outside shots....and playoff teams will not be stupid enough to leave Barry when TD is doubled.....it will be upto Manu, Bruce and Dev to spread the floor......

I do agree that more of Malik, Mass and Dev is a VERY good thing. But as said, it's early.

Brodels
11-09-2004, 11:22 AM
UH, this isn't the off season.

Newsflash: teams make moves during the regular season to improve.

We're only three games in

I'm not talking solely about the first three games.

calm down.

Calm down? I didn't know I was being uncalm.

We have everybody we need when Johnson comes off the IR.

I'm simply able to identify weaknesses with the team. You don't seem to want to admit that the Spurs have any weaknesses at all.

The Third will help defend big threes, but he isn't a perimeter shooter. While I feel that he could be the athletic swingman that we need and that Massenburg may provide the needed toughness if he gets minutes, I'm not convinced that the team has enough perimeter shooting.

Name me one pure shooter other than Barry on the Spurs. You can't, because there isn't one.

For all that Manu and Parker bring to the table, they can both get very cold from the outside for long stretches. Neither player is a pure shooter. That's not to say that they aren't great players, but they are not great perimeter shooters.

Answer me this: what is going to stop teams from collapsing on Duncan if the shooters can't make shots? This team needs one more shooter. Barry isn't going to average more than 30 minutes per game, and Bowen, Manu, and Parker are inconsistent from the outside.

I'm willing to admit that the Spurs aren't perfect. They may end up being the best team in the league, but there is always room for improvement.

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2004, 11:27 AM

I'd be curious to hear some concrete suggestions to address those issues. I mean, is your athletic swingman going to be a shooter as well, and if so, how on Earth are you going to find (and get) that guy? Who do you want and who are you willing to move to get such players (understanding the realities of the cap and teams' unwillingness to trade exceptional players for average players)? Those kinds of players don't just stand around on street corners, you know.

I can't see that the Spurs need another outside shooter or another swingman. How many shooters does this team need? Wing-heavy teams don't often win titles. The Spurs shot poorly on Sunday, true, but even the best outside shooters have bad shooting nights and whole teams face occasionaly shooting funks like that. Let's not go pushing for wholesale changes. We've seen 3 games and in 2 of the 3, this team has shot well.

From some of what I'm reading, it sounds like some half-expected the Spurs to go undefeated this season. Did you really think they'd go an entire season without dropping a game that should be a walkover? They do this every year. They'll do it again this year.

Brodels
11-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I'd be curious to hear some concrete suggestions to address those issues. I mean, is your athletic swingman going to be a shooter as well, and if so, how on Earth are you going to find (and get) that guy? Who do you want and who are you willing to move to get such players (understanding the realities of the cap and teams' unwillingness to trade exceptional players for average players)? Those kinds of players don't just stand around on street corners, you know.

I can't see that the Spurs need another outside shooter or another swingman. How many shooters does this team need? Wing-heavy teams don't often win titles. The Spurs shot poorly on Sunday, true, but even the best outside shooters have bad shooting nights and whole teams face occasionaly shooting funks like that. Let's not go pushing for wholesale changes. We've seen 3 games and in 2 of the 3, this team has shot well.

From some of what I'm reading, it sounds like some half-expected the Spurs to go undefeated this season. Did you really think they'd go an entire season without dropping a game that should be a walkover? They do this every year. They'll do it again this year.

I'm not asking for wholesale changes. I'm hoping they'll get a little bit tougher in the frontcourt. That might happen if Massenburg plays minutes like he did against Seattle. If he doesn't it's still going to be a problem.

The athletic scoring swingman is a wish that is possibly unrealistic, but the Spurs can still work on something here. The Third will help some. It also would be nice if the Spurs dropped someone like Wilks to take a chance on a young athletic available swingman. Eddie Robinson is a huge risk, but he's out there. Other young athletic swing players are out there.

As far as shooting goes, in my mind, that's the number one need. The Spurs would be better off with an Eric Piatkowski or a Wes Person. Those kinds of players are often available and the Spurs might not have to give up much. It's necessary to have another shooter capable of hitting a couple of shots when Parker and Manu are struggling from the perimeter. It's also useful against a zone.

How many shooters does this team need?

Two.

Look, I'm not asking Pop and R.C. to upset the apple cart. But I think they need to think about adding another shooter. I think that we'll see it as a weakness as the season goes on. Play Massenburg or replace Mass or Marks with a tough bruiser who can play some minutes. Take a chance on an athletic young swing player if one becomes available. Give The Third a chance when he gets healthy.

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2004, 12:17 PM
It also would be nice if the Spurs dropped someone like Wilks to take a chance on a young athletic available swingman. Eddie Robinson is a huge risk, but he's out there. Other young athletic swing players are out there.

I understand what you're saying but fundamentally disagree with your position. This team HAS to have a third point guard -- a third true point -- because of the fact that both Parker and Udrih are relatively fragile players. Last year demonstrated that need as clearly as could be possible. Wilks isn't a great answer, but he's at least a body who has an understanding of the system and some ability to play the game. Better than scouring the Aussie waiver wires, if you ask me.

As for Eddie Robinson -- I'll never understand the fascination with him. Sure he's 6'8" and athletic, but he's had plenty of opportunities, with different teams and coaches to prove that he can play at the NBA level. Somehow, he's never done anything and was so ineffective that the Chicago Bulls bought him out. They paid money for him to go away. I wouldn't touch Eddie Robinson with a 10 foot pole, and I'm befuddled by those who see anything in this guy as a basketball player.

The Spurs would be better off with an Eric Piatkowski or a Wes Person.

Better off than what? Better off with those guys than with Brent Barry?

Those kinds of players are often available and the Spurs might not have to give up much. It's necessary to have another shooter capable of hitting a couple of shots when Parker and Manu are struggling from the perimeter. It's also useful against a zone.

Well, I don't think Person is likely to be available, since it appears he's going to play a role with Miami. Piatkowski might be available, but if his shooting was such a certainty, why was he unable to get consistent minutes on a good Houston team last season? You'd think, with the offensive troubles the Rockets had last year, that a shooter would have been integral to Van Gundy, but somehow, Piatkowski never really could crack the rotation.

I agree that shooters are helpful, but here's a question: when Manu and Parker are struggling with their outside shots, are you going to sit them for long stretches in favor of a journeyman shooter? If not -- if you're going to join such a journeyman shooter with Parker and Ginobili during those droughts -- what's the difference between using Barry in that role and using Piatkowski or Person or anyone else in that role? I'd argue that Barry is a substantially better choice than any of those other guys because if he's not hitting shots, he can at least do a number of other things to help your team score. Piatkowski and Person are one-dimensional players who are helpful only when they are making shots.

Spurminator
11-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Piatkowski or Person would just be Steve Smith 2005.

zinger
11-09-2004, 12:27 PM
about the lack of a 2nd shooter,

dev has been shooting 3 pointers all offseason for a reason. Pop knows what you know.

Jimcs50
11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
A pass first PG. One that actually has more assists than KG.

jcrod
11-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Newsflash: teams make moves during the regular season to improve.

I'm not talking solely about the first three games.

Calm down? I didn't know I was being uncalm.

I'm simply able to identify weaknesses with the team. You don't seem to want to admit that the Spurs have any weaknesses at all.

The Third will help defend big threes, but he isn't a perimeter shooter. While I feel that he could be the athletic swingman that we need and that Massenburg may provide the needed toughness if he gets minutes, I'm not convinced that the team has enough perimeter shooting.

Name me one pure shooter other than Barry on the Spurs. You can't, because there isn't one.

For all that Manu and Parker bring to the table, they can both get very cold from the outside for long stretches. Neither player is a pure shooter. That's not to say that they aren't great players, but they are not great perimeter shooters.

Answer me this: what is going to stop teams from collapsing on Duncan if the shooters can't make shots? This team needs one more shooter. Barry isn't going to average more than 30 minutes per game, and Bowen, Manu, and Parker are inconsistent from the outside.

I'm willing to admit that the Spurs aren't perfect. They may end up being the best team in the league, but there is always room for improvement.

:blah

The reason I said it's not the off season is, because who are you going to find NOW sitting out there that fits YOUR needs. You're going to have to trade someone to get someone. Who are you going to trade, besides the untradable Malik.

The two people you mention, Wesley and Piat make more than the min. So who are you going to trade, that the other team would take?????????

Yes I agree Johnson doesn't have an outside shot, but neither does E. Robinson, so what's the difference??????

If your not basing it on three games, then what are you comparing it too? You're not being calm by saying we need at least two new players after three games, I call that uncalm.

Every team has weakness, I can admit anything. I'm just not going to say the need changes after three games. They have all they need on they're current roster.

ChumpDumper
11-09-2004, 01:13 PM
A tall athletic swingman to hold Lint's place is all we need.

Want one that can score? John Wallace.

Want one that can defend? Donnell Harvey.

Want one that can do a little of both? Terence Morris.

Waive Wilks and get one of these guys.

As soft as we played, we would've caught and passed the Sonics had we been able to get a hand in Lewis/Radman's faces.

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2004, 01:24 PM

If he could do that at a level sufficient to help a team win NBA games, why's he not working right now? In a league full of teams that are starving for points, you'd think a "scorer" like John Wallace would have no problems finding a job.

If he could do that at a level sufficient to help a team win NBA games, why's he not working right now? it must have been his defensive prowess that caused him to play a total of 15 minutes in the preseason with the Hawks. (are we seriously thinking that camp castoffs from the Atlanta Hawks are going to make a difference for the Spurs?)

If he could do that at a level sufficient to help a team win NBA games, why's he not working right now? I was blown away by Morris' ability to hit 1 of every 4 shots he took this preseason with the Clippers. And his career 3.7 ppg is amazing. Move over Bruce Bowen, Devin Brown, Brent Barry, Manu Ginobili, Romain Sato. We've found an answer on the wing.

Brilliant -- when Tony or Beno goes down, we'll just shift one of our athletic wings to the point full-time. Maybe Sato? or perhaps one of the previously mentioned guys.

ChumpDumper
11-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Perhaps Barry.

You missed the entire point that these guys are just placeholders for Linton.

Why was Wilks available in the first place? According to you, we should never signed him at all, seeing as he was out of work and all....

What is our need right now?

timvp
11-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Spurs should just wait for Linton. He should be ready within a month. Even if it takes a whole month, a couple of November losses just build character.

:)

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Why was Wilks available in the first place? According to you, we should never signed him at all, seeing as he was out of work and all....

That's not at all what I said. My point is that the guys that you mention are not better than any of the wings on this roster. Wilks, on the other hand, is better than Marque Perry, the third point guard he replaced. If a wing who is better than what we have comes available, I'd be all for the acquisition. But right now, the guys who are out there aren't better than the status quo -- except in the minds of some armchair GM's who are convinced that they see ability where NBA GM's do not.

By the way, Pop has already said that he's got no intention of relying on Barry playing long minutes at the point. If Tony and/or Beno goes down, you're going to see plenty of Wilks or whomever the Spurs bring in to replace him.

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2004, 01:35 PM
What is our need right now?

Perhaps a bit more time and a little less complacency. Those are certainly things that John Wallace, Terance Morris, Donnell Harvey, or Eddie Robinson will immediately remedy.

ChumpDumper
11-09-2004, 01:37 PM
My point is that the guys that you mention are not better than any of the wings on this roster.None of the wings on the active roster can guard 6'10" + players. This is a fact.
Wilks, on the other hand, is better than Marque Perry, the third point guard he replaced. If a wing who is better than what we have comes available, I'd be all for the acquisition. But right now, the guys who are out there aren't better than the status quo -- except in the minds of some armchair GM's who are convinced that they see ability where NBA GM's do not.I called the Wilks signing, so what do I know. It's a suggestion, just like saying Duncan shouldn't be such a pussy. This is the stuff message boards are made of.
By the way, Pop has already said that he's got no intention of relying on Barry playing long minutes at the point. If Tony and/or Beno goes down, you're going to see plenty of Wilks or whomever the Spurs bring in to replace him.Not if they suck. We signed Ward last year and he didn't play because he sucked. You play whoever works.

ChumpDumper
11-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Perhaps a bit more time and a little less complacency.Time for Lint yes. But try as they might, our other swingmen won't grow six inches anytime soon.

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Again, here's a fundamental question:

If you bring in another of these legendary wings, whose time gets cut? You're bitching about a lack of length to defend guys like Lewis and Radmanovic, but given those kinds of players tend to play 30+ minutes per night, are you advocating for putting our new acquisition in a 30+ minute matchup? If not, what real good does it do to bring in one guy who might play 5-7 minutes per night (at best)?

Are you going to play 11 guys every night, and just reduce the time for the wings just a little bit?

I posed this question earlier and I'll pose it again: when Manu and Parker are struggling with their outside shots, are you going to sit them for long stretches in favor of a journeyman wing? I still think that Barry is a superior choice to any of the guys who've been mentioned in this and other threads, since he's at least capable of scoring the basketball and helping others to score the ball.

Maybe we should just replace all of our wings with 6'10"+ guys to ensure that we have appropriate length to contest shots on the perimeter.

Brodels
11-09-2004, 01:49 PM
I understand what you're saying but fundamentally disagree with your position. This team HAS to have a third point guard -- a third true point -- because of the fact that both Parker and Udrih are relatively fragile players. Last year demonstrated that need as clearly as could be possible. Wilks isn't a great answer, but he's at least a body who has an understanding of the system and some ability to play the game. Better than scouring the Aussie waiver wires, if you ask me.

We'll have to disagree about Wilks. I think the Spurs could get a Wilks-caliber player on short notice if they needed to. And don't forget, Barry is certainly capable of filling in at point guard and Manu can play there as well. Lint and Devin Brown could get some more minutes at the swing position if it becomes necessary. I'd rather have a pure shooter than keep Wilks around.

As for Eddie Robinson -- I'll never understand the fascination with him. Sure he's 6'8" and athletic, but he's had plenty of opportunities, with different teams and coaches to prove that he can play at the NBA level. Somehow, he's never done anything and was so ineffective that the Chicago Bulls bought him out. They paid money for him to go away. I wouldn't touch Eddie Robinson with a 10 foot pole, and I'm befuddled by those who see anything in this guy as a basketball player.

I think people are fascinated with him because he's got the size and athleticism to become a good player if he ever gets his shit together. I agree that it's not likely. I'm not advocating that the Spurs bring him it, just that athletic swingmen are always available if the Spurs want to take a chance. Hopefully Lint will get a chance.

Better off than what? Better off with those guys than with Brent Barry?

Better off with those guys than Wilks.

Well, I don't think Person is likely to be available, since it appears he's going to play a role with Miami. Piatkowski might be available, but if his shooting was such a certainty, why was he unable to get consistent minutes on a good Houston team last season? You'd think, with the offensive troubles the Rockets had last year, that a shooter would have been integral to Van Gundy, but somehow, Piatkowski never really could crack the rotation.

If the Spurs really want a shooter, they'll be able to pick somebody up.

I agree that shooters are helpful, but here's a question: when Manu and Parker are struggling with their outside shots, are you going to sit them for long stretches in favor of a journeyman shooter? If not -- if you're going to join such a journeyman shooter with Parker and Ginobili during those droughts -- what's the difference between using Barry in that role and using Piatkowski or Person or anyone else in that role? I'd argue that Barry is a substantially better choice than any of those other guys because if he's not hitting shots, he can at least do a number of other things to help your team score. Piatkowski and Person are one-dimensional players who are helpful only when they are making shots.

I understand your concern here, but I'm not asking Pop to play another shooter for 30 mpg or anything. I just would like someone on the bench who can hit some shots when Parker, Manu, and Bowen are shooting poorly. Not one of the starters is a pure shooter. Barry will provide help some of the time, but if he gets injured or is held to limited minutes, the Spurs will miss his shooting. As bad as Hedo was last season, he really opened things up during the regular season. The Spurs might have advanced had he not disappeared in the playoffs.

We're not talking about a big-minutes kind of guy. I'm hoping for someone capable of coming in for ten minutes here and there and opening things up in the middle for Tim. When the team is struggling from the outside, this player could open things up and force the opponent to adjust. Sort of like Steve Kerr used to do.

Piatkowski or Person would just be Steve Smith 2005.

Person is more mobile than Smith. Smith lost his mobility. Person and Pike are still capable NBA players.

about the lack of a 2nd shooter,

dev has been shooting 3 pointers all offseason for a reason. Pop knows what you know.

Brown could be that player, but I'm not convinced that he's the answer. He'll need more minutes to prove to me that he's a good perimeter option. I'm all for Pop giving him the minutes, but I'm still not comfortable with him being relied upon to hit most of his jumpers.

A pass first PG. One that actually has more assists than KG.

There is some evidence that Beno could be that player. We'll have to wait and see.

The reason I said it's not the off season is, because who are you going to find NOW sitting out there that fits YOUR needs. You're going to have to trade someone to get someone. Who are you going to trade, besides the untradable Malik.

There are several ways to obtain players during the regular season. Sometimes teams release veterans like Charlie Ward. Matt Carroll-esque young shooters are always available. A first or second round pick could bring a vet minimum player in return. I'm not saying that the Spurs need to find answers now, I'm claiming that perimeter shooting will continue to be a problem just like it was in the playoffs last season and that the team will have to address it eventually.

Could Parker become consistent enough to do the job? It's possible. I'm willing to wait and see, but I hope that the Spurs have a plan if the perimeter shooting is still a weakness come playoff time.

The two people you mention, Wesley and Piat make more than the min. So who are you going to trade, that the other team would take?????????

Wes makes about $1.6 million. Something could probably be worked out there. Kareem Rush isn't getting much PT in Los Angeles. He makes $1.17 million. It's possible he could be had for a pick or two. I'm not sure about Peeler's contract, but he can make shots. Even Tracy Murray can make shots. There are veteran players available and young player too. If the Spurs really want a shooter, they'll come up with something.

And for the right player (and it would have to really be the right player), I could see the Spurs trading Devin Brown and include the rights to Scola.

Yes I agree Johnson doesn't have an outside shot, but neither does E. Robinson, so what's the difference??????

Linton plays defense. Nobody has said that the Spurs should get Eddie.

If your not basing it on three games, then what are you comparing it too?

Last year's playoffs. One of the reasons they lost is because nobody could make a perimeter shot. The Spurs replaced Hedo with Barry. Will that be enough?

You're not being calm by saying we need at least two new players after three games, I call that uncalm.

I'm being perfectly calm. I think the Spurs need a shooter. I'm willing to wait and see about the toughness issue. If Massenburg actually plays some minutes, I'll be happy. If he doesn't, it's still going to be a problem up front. I'm willing to take a chance on a swingman if one becomes available.

Would you rather pick up a young swingman with some length and potential or keep Wilks? I'm not asking for Rashard Lewis.

Every team has weakness, I can admit anything. I'm just not going to say the need changes after three games. They have all they need on they're current roster.

Answer me this: If I can't make judgements about the team based on three games, how can you possibly know that the Spurs have all that they need after three games? If you're going to claim that I can't judge anything by three games, at least do the same yourself.

A tall athletic swingman to hold Lint's place is all we need.

As soft as we played, we would've caught and passed the Sonics had we been able to get a hand in Lewis/Radman's faces.

Sounds good to me.

jcrod
11-09-2004, 02:26 PM
There are several ways to obtain players during the regular season. Sometimes teams release veterans like Charlie Ward. Matt Carroll-esque young shooters are always available. A first or second round pick could bring a vet minimum player in return. I'm not saying that the Spurs need to find answers now, I'm claiming that perimeter shooting will continue to be a problem just like it was in the playoffs last season and that the team will have to address it eventually.

I don't see any one out there, if there was I'm sure the Spurs would pick him up if he's worth it. I just think it's to early to say we need another shooter. I would'nt get rid of a first or second round pick for a spot vet. Unless he's really worth it. Especially the way the Spurs have been plucking gems out of the draft.

Wes makes about $1.6 million. Something could probably be worked out there. Kareem Rush isn't getting much PT in Los Angeles. He makes $1.17 million. It's possible he could be had for a pick or two. I'm not sure about Peeler's contract, but he can make shots. Even Tracy Murray can make shots. There are veteran players available and young player too. If the Spurs really want a shooter, they'll come up with something.

Both those guys make more than the min, so you would have to give something in return. Who do you give, that they would except?? Tracy, uhh....no.

Linton plays defense. Nobody has said that the Spurs should get Eddie.

I know he plays defense, and he's 6'8. You're the one who mentioned Eddie.

Last year's playoffs. One of the reasons they lost is because nobody could make a perimeter shot. The Spurs replaced Hedo with Barry. Will that be enough?

I think that's what we're all counting on, isn't it. Plus he's a proven vet, maybe not playoff proven, but as good as you get. He's a better passer and slasher, so I think it's a big difference. Hedo was soft and hesitant to shot, Barry is not.

I'm being perfectly calm. I think the Spurs need a shooter. I'm willing to wait and see about the toughness issue. If Massenburg actually plays some minutes, I'll be happy. If he doesn't, it's still going to be a problem up front. I'm willing to take a chance on a swingman if one becomes available. Would you rather pick up a young swingman with some length and potential or keep Wilks? I'm not asking for Rashard Lewis.

I don't think they need a shooter. It would be nice to have an additional proven shooter, but realisticly, there's none.

I also would like to have and additional tall three instead of Wilks, but there's really none that make you want to jump up.

Answer me this: If I can't make judgements about the team based on three games, how can you possibly know that the Spurs have all that they need after three games? If you're going to claim that I can't judge anything by three games, at least do the same yourself.

Because it's three games. Nobody can, that's why you wait and see. Besides Barry, Parker supposedly worked on his shooting, lets see how does. I think this first week he's still high from his contract. Beno also supposedly has a good jump shoot.

Ghost Writer
11-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Ginobili and Parker are not very good 3-point shooters. Bowen and Horry lost some touch from long range. That's why Barry is so critical.

I'd like to see Rose play more if he does not leave the paint. Massenburg is just as capable as Kevin Willis was.

I am not sold on Devin Brown. His defense is spotty and his offensive skill set is still very green. We need him to play like NBA Jams... dunk and hit threes.

We need help.

P.S.

Our team personality still can be best described as Niles Crane-esque.

timvp
11-09-2004, 03:00 PM
http://www.geocities.com/frasier_luver/Pierce29.jpg

http://i.cnn.net/si/2003/magazine/10/20/spurs/p1_spurs.jpg

Ghost Writer
11-09-2004, 03:02 PM
:lol

I never noticed that resemblance.

I just tried to think of a mainstream nerd.

The Spurs would be so much stronger with a few fearless players... I almost think we are too foreign.

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Well, I'll say this: there is no doubt that the Spurs are at their absolute best when Ginobili is on the floor. I'd think it would be pretty difficult to find many domestic players who are as fearless and who play with as much effort as Manu.

I don't think it's a matter of foreign or domestic -- those Argentinians played this summer without fear and shocked the world. It's a matter of mentality. This team has some guys with that kind of toughness and tenacity. I'm not sure if they have enough of them, but they certainly have a few.

Ghost Writer
11-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Fair enough, FWD.

I think Parker and Ginobili play with passion.

I'm glad we got rid of that phony Hedo.

Rasho is a wimp.

Duncan could stand to be more aggressive.

I just hate to see a talented team cower.

Last playoffs were painful.

jcrod
11-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Fair enough, FWD.

I think Parker and Ginobili play with passion.

I'm glad we got rid of that phony Hedo.

Rasho is a wimp.

Duncan could stand to be more aggressive.

I just hate to see a talented team cower.

Last playoffs were painful.

I agree with Down, you can't anyone as fearless as Manu. Tony is somewhat, needs to be a little more.

We'll be more inter, once Scola and that SF they got in the second round come over.

I kind of also think that's a little too much, but the position they've been, you get best available and you can't argue the results.

Rasho is soft, but for the money there's no one out there as good as him. So it kind of gets tiring seeing people still whinning about him. He's good and solid, hopefully the agression on defense we saw in the first two games stays.

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Like I say, I think this team has some guys who just compete. To this point, Manu and Barry seem to be the most on that edge, and I think Parker gets it. Compared to what was here in 2001 or even 2002, they're better -- it remains to be seen if they have the competitive fire and fearlessness that were hallmarks of the 1999 and 2003 teams. Strange that those two teams would have that as a common denominator.

I agree with you in questioning Rasho's intensity. I have seen improvement in his game, and he seemed practically emboldened to walk into Staples knowing that Shaq wasn't there. But, on a night-to-night basis, he's definitely on the Charmin side both physically and mentally.

I think the thing with Tim is a bit more complicated. I think Tim is an intense player and can be pushed to the point of being a ferocious competitor. I think, though, that he tends to drift sometimes, particularly when things aren't going well and he's frustrated. That's not unusual -- Shaq has some of the same qualities. But I get amped when Tim's having "one of those nights" and makes an effort to take a technical. That seems to get him going and break the funk. It shouldn't take that, but for whatever reason, it's been a catalyst for years.

Brodels
11-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I don't see any one out there, if there was I'm sure the Spurs would pick him up if he's worth it. I just think it's to early to say we need another shooter. I would'nt get rid of a first or second round pick for a spot vet. Unless he's really worth it. Especially the way the Spurs have been plucking gems out of the draft.

What about Matt Carroll? He knows the system. Shouldn't they call about Kareem Rush? There are shooters available for the right price.

Both those guys make more than the min, so you would have to give something in return. Who do you give, that they would except?? Tracy, uhh....no.

Nobody knows what they would accept.

And Tracy Murray can hit shots even if he can't do anything else.

I know he plays defense, and he's 6'8. You're the one who mentioned Eddie.

I mentioned him as an example of an available swingman. It was to show that players with talent sometimes become available.

I think that's what we're all counting on, isn't it. Plus he's a proven vet, maybe not playoff proven, but as good as you get. He's a better passer and slasher, so I think it's a big difference. Hedo was soft and hesitant to shot, Barry is not.

Barry will be fine, but he's sucked in the playoffs and he isn't going to play more than 30 minutes on a regular basis. He'll do a good job, but when he's on the bench or if he gets the hurt, the Spurs have exactly zero (0) pure shooters on the team. Do you really want that?

I don't think they need a shooter. It would be nice to have an additional proven shooter, but realisticly, there's none.

So you believe that Barry can singlehandedly cure what was wrong with the team in last season's playoffs? You're asking a lot of an almost 33 year-old bench player.

I also would like to have and additional tall three instead of Wilks, but there's really none that make you want to jump up.

We'll see what The Third can do.

Because it's three games. Nobody can, that's why you wait and see. Besides Barry, Parker supposedly worked on his shooting, lets see how does. I think this first week he's still high from his contract. Beno also supposedly has a good jump shoot.

But after just three games you claim that the Spurs have what they need. What did you base that on, three games? That's my point. You don't know that the Spurs have what they need anymore than I know that they Spurs don't. And last year's playoff performance is solid evidence that I have a legit point.

I am not sold on Devin Brown. His defense is spotty and his offensive skill set is still very green. We need him to play like NBA Jams... dunk and hit threes.

It's not his time yet, but if you watch him, I'm sure you'll conclude that he could become a good player. He needs more time and experience. He's not there yet, but he'll get there.

Marcus Bryant
11-09-2004, 04:21 PM
The Spurs would be so much stronger with a few fearless players.

Well the Spurs took your boy Barry over Jack so perhaps you should tell yourself to go fuck yourself.

JUUOT
11-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Carmelo who is a more physical 3 than what we have in SA did even a worst job than us on lewis tonight so it confirms he is just in a good period. he averages more than 20 points per game. it is not a problem from us but he was great

manustarting2gd
11-10-2004, 12:47 AM
6'10 Athletic Swingmen will continue to wreak havoc on S.A. The first example .. Rashard Lewis, just like he did, the athletic bigs in the league will kill the Spurs all year long.. Teams that will expose our lack of athletic bigs.. UTAH, PHX, LA CLIPS, DETROIT.. just to name a few.