PDA

View Full Version : Mutombo's Finger Wagging: To Tech or Not to Tech?

MrChug
01-11-2007, 12:09 PM
What are your feelings? Years back they'd anticipate finger wagging, and immediately T him up for doing it because of the taunting rules. Now for some reason he does it constantly with no consequence and others are getting techs for a small grunt after a dunk. Is it okay? Should he be treated like everyone else? Discuss.

timvp
01-11-2007, 12:12 PM
The rule has been the same for years with him. As long as he doesn't wag his finger at a player, he can get away with it.

But damn, dude is like 45 years old. If he wants to stop play and have confetti drop from the sky and have a laser light show after each block, he deserves it.

themvp
01-11-2007, 12:18 PM
No.

Giving a 40+ year old man a technical for that finger wagging whis he's been using for 18 years would be just retarded.

BTW, he's my idol.

mabber
01-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Wasn't Mutombo the player (while in Denver) that called off his wedding the day before it after he asked the chick for a prenup and she said no? I recall some player in Denver was going to have a huge wedding and people were flying in for it from all over the world and when the chick wouldn't agree to a prenup he said "see ya",

timvp
01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Wasn't Mutombo the player (while in Denver) that called off his wedding the day before it after he asked the chick for a prenup and she said no? I recall some player in Denver was going to have a huge wedding and people were flying in for it from all over the world and when the chick wouldn't agree to a prenup he said "see ya",

That was Stephen Jackson.

mabber
01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
That was Stephen Jackson.

Was he with the Nuggets at the time? Regardless, I applaud him for it.

Mixability
01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Was he with the Nuggets at the time? Regardless, I applaud him for it.

You applaud him for being a dumbass NOT to get the prenup waaaaay before? So he wastes peoples time, not only money on a cancelled wedding?

ah, well. It should be expected from HIM.

Taco
01-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Friggin Cookie Monster shouldn't wag his paw at anybody

PM5K
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I love Dikembe's finger wagging only because Jordan got to use it against him....

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-11-2007, 01:59 PM
He's been doing it for so long I think he sidesteps the rule with a grandfather clause, namely that since Mutombo is old enough to be the grandfather of some of the guys he blocks he can wag his finger all he wants.

mabber
01-11-2007, 02:57 PM
You applaud him for being a dumbass NOT to get the prenup waaaaay before? So he wastes peoples time, not only money on a cancelled wedding?

ah, well. It should be expected from HIM.

No, I applaud him for not marrying the bitch because she wouldn't agree to the prenup. Obviously, he should have asked earlier to save a lot of people time and money (although I believe I heard he paid people back for their air, etc. costs).

MrChug
01-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Well...I think if it was LESS of a dirty player I'd be okay with it. Can you imagine Yao wagging his finger? :lmao

Phenomanul
01-11-2007, 03:23 PM
He's been doing it for so long I think he sidesteps the rule with a grandfather clause, namely that since Mutombo is old enough to be the grandfather of some of the guys he blocks he can wag his finger all he wants.

:lol :lol :lol

Very witty.... :tu

VaSpursFan
01-11-2007, 03:33 PM

yeah that was him. i'm not at liberty to discuss all the details as i was not privy to them but there were other provisions of the prenup that the young lady took issues with that related to how many children she would bear, etc. I know this because talk of this prenup made its way through certain cirlces of the Georgetown Alumni community. Dik is really a good guy, know him personally, but some of the stuff he was "supposedly" asking for in that prenup was quite comical.

mabber
01-11-2007, 03:46 PM
yeah that was him. i'm not at liberty to discuss all the details as i was not privy to them but there were other provisions of the prenup that the young lady took issues with that related to how many children she would bear, etc. I know this because talk of this prenup made its way through certain cirlces of the Georgetown Alumni community. Dik is really a good guy, know him personally, but some of the stuff he was "supposedly" asking for in that prenup was quite comical.

I thought it was Dikembe, but Timvp said it was Stephen Jackson.

ponky
01-11-2007, 03:48 PM
wgaf?

but this should have been the poll because he's a douche who isn't even that good so he doesn't deserve a signature gesture

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/pics/0513greedbig-autosized158.jpg

boutons_
01-11-2007, 06:52 PM
His finger wag was a funny novelty, but that stopped a long time ago.

Now it's a weak form of taunting.

Bob Lanier
01-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Is Deke a balla?

BeerIsGood!
01-11-2007, 07:36 PM
What would be funny is if the next guy he waves the finger at turns right around and kicks him square in the nuts. That would be funny

Kori Ellis
01-11-2007, 07:47 PM

I believe Mutombo did that, but SJax did one worse. It was the DAY of the wedding. People were sitting in pews, etc. And SJax called it off because she still was refusing to sign the pre-nup. I heard his mom jumped up and down rejoicing. :lmao

THE SIXTH MAN
01-12-2007, 12:58 AM
If he wants to stop play and have confetti drop from the sky and have a laser light show after each block, he deserves it.
This actually sounds good, just throw in some dancers and you'd be set.

RonMexico
01-12-2007, 01:32 AM
wgaf?

but this should have been the poll because he's a douche who isn't even that good so he doesn't deserve a signature gesture

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/pics/0513greedbig-autosized158.jpg

Thomas deserved the MVP

leroyjenkins
01-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Thomas deserved the MVP

ur horrible, get a job

mabber
01-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Thomas deserved the MVP

Most valuable punk? What a joke it was that he was talking trash to Dirk in that playoff series. Then Dirk dropped 50+ on them :lol

ObiwanGinobili
01-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I thought it was Dikembe, but Timvp said it was Stephen Jackson.

Seriously. It was Stephan Jackson.
there are like 4 threads about it from here from back when it happend.
not to mention this article just off the top of my head..
http://www.yaysports.com/nba/2005/09/stephen_jackson_has_great_timi.html
and this blog
http://www.themightymjd.com/2005/09/06/stephen-jackson-is-still-available-ladies/

also he was playing (and still is) with the Indiana Pacers at the time.

Also, Dikembe Motombo has been married to a girl from his home country of Congo since his college years..

During the NBA’s regular season, Mutombo and his wife, Rose (also from Congo) maintain a home in a quiet Philadelphia suburb with their seven children (four of whom are Mutombo’s adopted nieces and nephews). During the off-season, the Mutombo’s reside in Atlanta, Georgia.

http://www.dmf.org/About.html

--------------------------

as to his finger wag. It;s not a Tech. geez louise the refs get worse every year.
The finger wag is even mentioned in the "trivia" section of his Wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dikembe_Mutombo

ObiwanGinobili
01-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Also I remember watching a documentry on Dikembe and his wife Rose and thier charity programs.... I can;t remeber if it was ESPN or A&E or whatever.
But thye have been together a long time.

Borosai
01-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Who's gonna call a tech when he's so soft and cuddly...and sounds like a snoring lion when spooning. Not gonna happen...moving on...

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6915/stmutombomonster01xk7.jpg

NBA Junkie
01-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I love Dikembe's finger wagging only because Jordan got to use it against him....

I remember that well. It was Game 5 of the 1997 Eastern Conference semi's between the Bulls and Hawks. Jordan got T'ed up as a result.

It was a funny moment, though!

MrChug
01-12-2007, 01:17 PM
I remember that well. It was Game 5 of the 1997 Eastern Conference semi's between the Bulls and Hawks. Jordan got T'ed up as a result.

It was a funny moment, though!

I remember when Jordan also shot a freethrow with his eyes closed after saying "Yo Mutombo!! Welcome to the NBA baby!!" (*swish*)

:lmao

NBA Junkie
01-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I remember when Jorday also shot a freethrow with his eyes closed after saying "Yo Mutombo!! Welcome to the NBA baby!!" (*swish*)

:lmao

I thought he did that at Madison Square Garden. I could be wrong.

As a sidenote, to the Jordan finger-wagging incident: He did so after Mutombo made remarks earlier in the series that MJ had never dunked on him. OOPS! Like Jordan wouldn't take that as an incentive to do so as he did with other forms of criticism he took during his career. :lol

MrChug
01-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I thought he did that at Madison Square Garden. I could be wrong.

As a sidenote, to the Jordan finger-wagging incident: He did so after Mutombo made remarks earlier in the series that MJ had never dunked on him. OOPS! Like Jordan wouldn't take that as an incentive to do so as he did with other forms of criticism he took during his career. :lol

Well, Jordan was notorious for hitting freethrows in his heyday with his eyes closed as a psychological ploy to signify, as Jordan put it "I can't even stop myself, how are you gonna stop me?" I'll never forget that. That guy was a great competitor. I'm quite sure that's one of the major reasons Mutombo does it.