PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson best pick in the draft?

mardigan
01-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Now that its official, how could any team pass on him? Who has been a better rb prospect out of college in recent memories? Kid is gona be a monster, Texans have got to try and trade up for him.

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2007, 01:06 PM
...i think he might be the steal of the draft. he isn't going #1, apparently, and if he goes 6-10...thats a steal. i have changed my opinion from: if Peterson is there when the texans draft and they don't draft him the city and McNair should give up their team....to....if they don't get him, period, the need to give up the team.

mardigan
01-11-2007, 01:10 PM
And make a giant straw wickerman Warren Moon, put it in the middle of Reliant Stadium,and burn that whole mother down. If he stays healthy, might be the next LJ

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2007, 01:19 PM
And make a giant straw wickerman Warren Moon, put it in the middle of Reliant Stadium,and burn that whole mother down. If he stays healthy, might be the next LJ

i agree...on the wickerman, that is. as for being LJ, i think he might be better. he is quicker and faster, though not quite as big....his line won't be as good either.

clambake
01-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Not to mention he'll be taking some monster hits. He'll need an extended warranty.

mardigan
01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
His oline will be shit probably, what do you think about Mershawn Lynch, or that safety the Boys are projected to pick?

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2007, 01:31 PM
His oline will be shit probably, what do you think about Mershawn Lynch, or that safety the Boys are projected to pick?

...i love Lynch, he runs extremely hard and fast. gotta be the right behind Peterson and may end up being better than him, though i give the slight edge to Adrian.

as for Nelson, don't know a lot about it. but he helped cover some great buckeye receivers that did nothing in the title game. but you're gonna have to read analysts opinions on that.

mardigan
01-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Dallas needs a defensive end or its not gonna matter if Ed Reed is back ther, no qb pressure means busted coverage everytime

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Dallas needs a defensive end or its not gonna matter if Ed Reed is back ther, no qb pressure means busted coverage everytime

...well this is what i always say:

1. the QB gets too much blame and too much credit
2. without an o-line it doesn't matter who your QB, receivers, and RB are
3. WRs will beat any DB if given time, they always have the advantage

...so, yeah, pressure on the QB makes everybody look good.

mardigan
01-11-2007, 01:47 PM
All I know is that between Spears and Canty this year they had 2 SACKS combined, that will kill any secondary , and Ferguson had 0 sacks, bad news

BeerIsGood!
01-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Ferguson's job is to tie up the center and a guard, so he won't get sacks. Canty and Spears were disappointments, that's for sure. Now, whether Ferguson actually did his job well... maybe not, which allowed Spears and Canty to get doubled. I don't think the Cowboys zone-blitzed enough (and with enough different looks) out of the 3-4 to make it effective, probably due to Zimmers inexperience with it. Against a well schemed 3-4 the offense usually won't know where every rusher is coming from, and against the Cowboys they knew exactly where they were coming from.

mardigan
01-11-2007, 04:02 PM
And I just heard on ESPN that Peterson is still undecided. If he goes back he is an idiot

BeerIsGood!
01-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Peterson won't go back unless he just likes throwing money down the drain.

tlongII
01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
I question his durability. He seems to be hurt every year at Oklahoma. The NFL is more physical so that's not a good sign.

mardigan
01-11-2007, 07:09 PM
McGahee was hurt all the time and look at him

Mr Dio
01-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Those are 2 totally different players.

mardigan
01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I know, but Petersons injurys werent serious, just freak accidents like breaking his collarbone, I was just trying to say that you can be "injury prone" in college and still be a bad ass, and I meant Gore, not McGahee, i just got a little confused

Mr Dio
01-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I hear ya on Gore.
The U RBs always seemed to be at least a little tough.
Not saying AP is a total wuss but, when the going got tough he always seemed to get nicked & banged up and miss some PT.

scott
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
God I hope someone besides Houston picks him.

Mr Dio
01-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, IMO as far teams that need RB help....

Cle-Droughns
Hou-Dayne
Atl-Dunn

If the above teams haven't traded their picks the best situation for him might be Atl. I think Hou's div might be too tough for the type of RB he is. If Hou takes him they need to upgrade the O-line for Carr as well.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-11-2007, 11:07 PM
His durability is only a question because of where he is slotted to get drafted. He's missed a lot of games in the last two years to be drafted top 5, IMO.

And to answer the OP, no, he isn't nor will he be the best pick in the draft.

Horry For 3!
01-12-2007, 01:45 AM
Well, IMO as far teams that need RB help....

Cle-Droughns
Hou-Dayne
Atl-Dunn

If the above teams haven't traded their picks the best situation for him might be Atl. I think Hou's div might be too tough for the type of RB he is. If Hou takes him they need to upgrade the O-line for Carr as well.
Atlanta has Jerious Norwood, that is the reason why they let go of T.J. Duckett. Jerious Norwood is goin to be a solid RB once he gets more playing time. He already has shown flashes in his rookie year that he can run well.

I think that the Browns will select Adrian Peterson though. Reuben Droughns did well his first year there then after that he went to shit. They HAVE to have a running game or they will never win. They have good receivers and a decent QB but no running game.

mardigan
10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
So far the answer looks like yes

J.T.
10-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Yup, I was a little worried that he wouldn't bust off big runs like he did on Sunday when I got him for my fantasy team. If he keeps it up I've got the team to beat. Dude is a stud.

10-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Actually, no one knows.

The guy's knock has never been a talent issue, strictly health related.

If he only lasts 9 games, is he still the best pick?

LaMarcus Bryant
10-16-2007, 11:03 PM
The health issue is fucking stupid
he broke his collarbone last year guys not his pcl mcl acl etc for all other cl's

I asked this chode of monstrous proportions at a bar last night wearing a dallas cowboys jersey if he would rather have Bush or Peterson and he said "mmmm...Reggie Bush--He's better."
What a douche.
I'm texas through and through but you can't deny this kid. Plus he only picked OU over UT cuz OU offered him more money and fringe benefits, in addition to him wanting immediate playing time, and UT had the biggest dissapointment in a runningback in school history (Cedric Benson) taking all the PT.

stretch
10-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Peterson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bush.

NBA Junkie
10-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Peterson reminds me of Eddie George in terms of how he runs upright when he has the ball. The difference is he can cut and accelerate better than George ever could.

Peterson looks awfully good, but let's not base his worthiness on one spectacular game.

I'll be surprised if he breaks 70 against the Cowboys this weekend. They'll make that pitiful QB known as Tarvarus Jackson beat them through the air.

Easy Cowboy win fer sure!

mardigan
10-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Peterson reminds me of Eddie George in terms of how he runs upright when he has the ball. The difference is he can cut and accelerate better than George ever could.

Peterson looks awfully good, but let's not base his worthiness on one spectacular game.

I'll be surprised if he breaks 70 against the Cowboys this weekend. They'll make that pitiful QB known as Tarvarus Jackson beat them through the air.

Easy Cowboy win fer sure!
Who's basing it off of one game? Guy is leading the league in rushing through 6 weeks

NBA Junkie
10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Who's basing it off of one game? Guy is leading the league in rushing through 6 weeks

224 yards will do that for anyone. We'll see if he leads the league in another month.

The one good thing about Peterson is that he'll make the average at best Chester Taylor into what he's always been-a career back-up.

BeerIsGood!
10-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Peterson's a great back who made a terrible, terrible mistake in choosing his college. He looks good, but until they have a QB that can throw a football that team will suck against any decent team.

John Patrick
10-20-2007, 12:01 AM
so he should have gone to UT and sat behind Benson?

makes more sense to me to go to the Sooners and at least show what youre about...

samikeyp
10-20-2007, 08:43 AM

makes more sense to me to go to the Sooners and at least show what youre about...

He wouldn't have sat long. He would have shown what he was about early in practice. He has heart, something Benson never has had.

BeerIsGood!
10-20-2007, 08:56 AM

He would have started his freshman year if he went to UT. He publicly stated that he went to OU over UT because they contend for national championships, and that in hindsight was a big mistake. It was UT and Vince with the national title and wins over Peterson and OU. With both Vince and Peterson in the backfield it may have been 2 national titles.

Thunder Dan
10-20-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm happy with Joe Thomas for the Browns. He has been dominate so far, and only had one bad game against the Steelers, which was his first game. The Browns were top 5 in sacks given up last year, and this year they are close to the top in least sacks allowed.

Nobody will ever notice a tackle, but he is a stud.

word
10-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Now that its official, how could any team pass on him? Who has been a better rb prospect out of college in recent memories? Kid is gona be a monster, Texans have got to try and trade up for him.

It was because of the perception that he's injury prone, which I still say he is.

mardigan
11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Any arguments now?

stretch
11-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Yes. Do not overlook Ramzee Robinson.

dirk4mvp
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Peterson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bush.

Bush isn't even close to being the best rb in his own draft class...much less better than AP.

Spurminator
11-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I wonder what the pre-draft hype for Peterson would have been if he had gone to a school in Los Angeles?

11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Any arguments now?

Yeah, it's still early.

mardigan
11-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah, it's still early.
Your right, he could get hurt. But barring injury, I dont see how he wont be the best player in this draft.

BeerIsGood!
11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Right now, at this point in time, Peterson is the best RB in the NFL. The guy just shredded a good defense for an NFL record playing on a team that doesn't have a QB. Absolutely phenomenal. I still hate you Peterson, you magnificent bastard.

11-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Your right, he could get hurt. But barring injury, I dont see how he wont be the best player in this draft.

Which is exactly why he shouldn't be returning kicks, IMO...

mardigan
11-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Which is exactly why he shouldn't be returning kicks, IMO...
I dont think he's doing that anymore, he didt return any last game and I dont think he even lined up out there. I think they have Mewelde moore doing it now.

tlongII
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM

I agree. However, I'd like to see him get through the entire year unscathed first.

JamStone
11-05-2007, 09:56 PM
He might be the best player in the last 10 years. I think he'll end up being better than LT. The guy is unbelievable.

11-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Best player overall? I don't know about that. You still have Manning and Brady to contend with.

Best RB? Possibly, but it's way too early for that argument.

Fillmoe
11-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Easily the best pick of the draft. Patrick Willis is a distant second.

slayermin
11-06-2007, 02:33 AM

And he finishes off runs like Eddie George. But as far as an overall impact on the game, I think of Bo Jackson. Bo could run with power and speed like no other.

Tippecanoe
11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
marshawn lynch is a beast too.

but of course, adrian peterson is better

JamStone
11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Best player overall? I don't know about that. You still have Manning and Brady to contend with.

Best RB? Possibly, but it's way too early for that argument.

It's all conjecture and prediction, but I think he'll be regarded as a better player than either Manning and Brady. Now, better winner? Probably not. But, better player, I believe so. Of course, he has to stay healthy, but again, I'm forecasting what I think will happen. If in 1985, someone said Michael Jordan would be regarded as the best player in that generation, people would have laughed that off citing Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. It's just an opinion.

He's as talented as anyone that has played in the last decade for what his position requires. Years from now, I feel he'll be regarded as the best player over the last 10-20 years.

sa_butta
11-06-2007, 12:04 PM
He has also shown to be a threat in the flat and receiving. Lucky to have him on my fantasy team.

11-06-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm still not sold that he is or will be a better overall player than Tomlinson.

sa_butta
11-06-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm still not sold that he is or will be a better overall player than Tomlinson.That has yet to be seen, This is only his first season. Im curious how durable he will be over the next say 5 years. Will he be able to produce like his rookie season??

Note to Peterson: Dont put yourself on the cover of Madden 09.