PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe : Horry, Bonner coexist peacefully with Spurs

Bruno
01-12-2007, 04:07 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011207.01D.BKNhorry.bonner.33bacb7.html

Web Posted: 01/11/2007 11:47 PM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News

It is a running joke that has entered its third season: Robert Horry, the Spurs' 36-year-old veteran of 15 NBA seasons, doesn't get interested in playing until the playoffs arrive.

Horry isn't finding as much hilarity in the notion these days, but he still is smiling.

"People always say that (about the playoffs)," Horry said as he prepared himself before the Spurs' victory over the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday, "but I just do what I can. When the playoffs start there's just so much more adrenaline going, and that helps out a whole lot."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich recently addressed the issue of allocation of playing time between Horry and newcomer Matt Bonner. Bonner's game resembles Horry's approach, an emphasis on perimeter shots that take defenders away from Tim Duncan's space in the paint.

"You (media) guys can vote now," Popovich said when questioned about how the Horry-Bonner dynamic is apt to develop. "I don't know who the hell comes in first with those guys. It's a feel, matchups, who's healthy, or if it's a back-to-back.

"I still haven't figured that one out."

Popovich has spoken to Horry about it. The veteran has struggled with his shooting. He went into Wednesday's game shooting 36.8 percent and missed all three of his shots against Denver. He admits there are nights he does not have the sort of energy he took for granted earlier in his career. He understands his coach's concern.

"I won't say I've got plenty let in the tank," Horry said, "but I got some left. I can still play. I probably won't be able to give you a great effort every night. That's probably one of the reasons (Popovich has concerns). There's some nights I'm just dog-tired, for no reason.

"Too many playoff games in too many years. This is my 15th year. I'm 36. Playoffs every year. Past the first round every year. I had a lot of short summers."

Horry has served as a mentor to the 26-year-old Bonner since the former Florida Gator arrived, via trade. He jokes that he has done too good a job of teaching him how to fit into the Spurs' systems.

"It's funny," Horry said. "Sometimes I say to myself, 'Should I be selfish and not tell him nothing; not work with my replacement. They brought him in to be my replacement, so I ain't telling him nothing.'

Let the record show: Horry was laughing as he made this statement, and quickly made it clear he was teasing.

"The more I help him out, the more he's going to help the team out, and you know I'm a team guy," Horry said. "I've got to teach him how to block a shot, though. He doesn't know how to block a shot. Sometimes all you've got to do is just get your hands up. Intimidation is a factor. Block one, and everybody is going to go, 'Ooh, I don't want to take it in there.'"

Horry just shook his head when Bonner blocked three shots — his career high — against Denver.

"Career high?" Bonner said. "I think those were the first three blocks of my career. Two of them were on (5-foot-5) Earl Boykins, so don't get too carried away."

Bonner's earnest approach to fitting in has endeared him to his coaches and teammates, including Horry.

"I don't even think about the minutes I get and Rob gets," Bonner said. "Whatever minutes I get I'm going to play hard. Some nights I play a lot; some nights I don't. It doesn't matter. I'm just excited to have an opportunity to help contribute on this great team."

BONNER'S PRODUCTION

After not playing much his first month with the Spurs, reserve forward Matt Bonner has started to contribute more in recent games. Here's a look at Bonner's production this season (note: 3PM is 3-pointers made):

November

6:35 minutes per game, 3.1 points, 0.8 3-pointers made, 1.5 rebounds

Notable: Didn't play in eight games. Did go 3 for 4 from 3-point range Nov. 17 against Bulls, though.

December

11:05 minutes per game, 5.3 points, 0.7 3-pointers made, 3.0 rebounds

Notable: Had best game of season Dec. 23, hitting 6 of 8 shots and scoring 14 points against Hornets.

January

18:30 minutes per game, 6.2 points, 1.2 3-pointers made, 3.5 rebounds

Notable: Has played in all six games. He tied his career-high with three blocked shots Wednesday at Denver.

timvp
01-12-2007, 04:20 AM
Another thing to like about Bonner is he just doesn't turn the ball over. Last year he was second in the entire NBA in least turnovers.

His rebounding rate is up 66% compared to his first two years in the league. I think that mostly has to do with playing more power forward rather than small forward. Plus, there are plenty of rebounds to go around on this team.

T Park
01-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Wich is a good thing.

A guy has stepped up his effort.

Not alot of people around here want to look for postives.

Constantly want to look for negatives and remain "objective"

Bruno
01-12-2007, 04:42 AM
"You (media) guys can vote now," Popovich said when questioned about how the Horry-Bonner dynamic is apt to develop. "I don't know who the hell comes in first with those guys. It's a feel, matchups, who's healthy, or if it's a back-to-back.

[AHF mode] So we have a "coach" who base his rotation on a feel ?
What's next ? Deciding the starting lineup by reading coffee grounds ?
Maybe that what he has done when he has decided to start Finley at PF against Dallas last year.
[/AHF mode]

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-12-2007, 04:44 AM
Cool :tu

I like reading Horry's quotes/comments.

I hope Bonner does take a lot from Horry, after seeing some of his hustle maybe he'll be one of the more promising acquisitions as he rounds out and earns consistent playing time.

timvp
01-12-2007, 04:51 AM
The scary thing is that if Elson didn't get hurt, I don't think Bonner would have ever been given a chance. Bonner didn't get many minutes in preseason and rarely any minutes until Bonner went down.

I think there's a good chance that when the Spurs made the Rasho trade, they were just taking back Bonner's expiring contract and had little idea about what they got.

Borosai
01-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Bonner is a man among boys...among men.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-12-2007, 09:44 AM
[AHF mode] So we have a "coach" who base his rotation on a feel ?
What's next ? Deciding the starting lineup by reading coffee grounds ?
Maybe that what he has done when he has decided to start Finley at PF against Dallas last year.
[/AHF mode]

Um, yeah. Nice try, but you obviously don't read what I write. It's funny that Pop talks about feel with these guys, but then he doesn't go with feel when he pulls guys like Manu or Tony from the game when they're on fire.

That's part of my gripe. Manu going off? "Oh, well he's been in for 6 minutes of the 3rd, time to take him out like I always do."

Manu scored 13 in the fourth? Eh, the other team won't possibly let him get off a shot to tie the game, so I'll run a play for Matt Bonner.

Then the next night using the same logic to run a play for Bowen at the end of the game.

I remember back when the Spurs were winning titles, Pop said 'we are what we are'. Well, if that's how he thought when the Spurs were winning rings, why is he now saying 'we are what we are, unless it's the end of the game in which case I'll draw up my game winning/tie for the last guy on the floor they think will get it'.

Every other team in the league goes with its hot players. Every other team in the league is creative enough offensively to draw up a play for its best player when it needs one. Except for us. :pctoss

SAGambler
01-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Personally I think we got a bargain when we got Bonner. The guy hustles his ass off when he's on the floor.

Also getting better at tapping the ball back out off the offensive boards.

Makes life easier for Tim when he spreads the defense.

Not bad for a guy they just took because he was part of the deal.

Couple of years tutledge under Horry, no telling what this guy could turn into.

101A
01-12-2007, 10:50 AM
AHF; you have GOT to change you sig.

I end up pausing on EVERY one of you posts; it's really making me less productive.

Damn.

The Truth #6
01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Wich is a good thing.

A guy has stepped up his effort.

Not alot of people around here want to look for postives.

Constantly want to look for negatives and remain "objective"

I hear what you're saying about people looking for negatives. But I do think its funny you write that while you have a shirt that says Beno Sucks.

VaSpursFan
01-12-2007, 11:28 AM
model spur. perfect fit with this team, a guy who knows his role and overachieves.

vanvannen
01-12-2007, 12:41 PM
AHF; you have GOT to change you sig.

I end up pausing on EVERY one of you posts; it's really making me less productive.

Damn.

Totally agree. Just can't look away. I just can't. :dizzy

boutons_
01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Robert's getting his money all season, not just for the playoffs.

He showed the other night he can still hustle and play, he just doesn't, except so rarely that it's remarkable.

He knows he's finished, so he has no justification for impeding Matt (even if he could).

However, if he wants to fight Matt for minutes, and Pop allows a fair fight (instead of sitting salary-dump Matt no matter how well he does), then have at it. Robert doesn't have much fight left.

spurschick
01-12-2007, 01:52 PM
I think there's a good chance that when the Spurs made the Rasho trade, they were just taking back Bonner's expiring contract and had little idea about what they got.

Interesting pattern. They didn't know exactly what they were getting when they drafted Manu.