PDA

View Full Version : Vescey argues that Webber and Spurs=Perfect Match and a fourth ring...

Big Shot Rob
01-12-2007, 08:18 AM
C-WEBB, SPURS PERFECT MATCH CHRIS WEBBER
Dunkin' with Duncan?
January 12, 2007 -- CHOOSING any desti nation other than San Antonio once Chris Webber clears waivers would be unreasonably risky, it says here. Just as it'd be incongruous for the Spurs not to romance the 34-year-old (come March 1), who, from what I've seen, has plenty of time-out calls left in him.

It's an alliance made in Rick (Fantasia) Kamala's Korner. The half-court, team-tilted Spurs would offer the lead-legged Webber defensive protection and a platinum prospect of getting off the championship schneid.

At the same time, the NBA's all-time pristine passing power forward would offer overburdened Tim Duncan the everyday, all-around, frontline assistance he sorely needs and deeply deserves.

Webber's hometown 20-13 Pistons, indeed, may weigh heavy in his heart. Still, adding him to Detroit's churning urn of burning funk would further mess up a mix that was manhandled Wednesday in Auburn Hills by the 10-23 Bobcats.

Friction between The Palace troops and their commanding officer is undeniable. Within the last week, Dale Davis and Rasheed Wallace missed a practice. Such insolence prompted Flip Saunders to bury Davis on the bench and twice use Wallace as an understudy, a role he mockingly embraced verbally, though his scorn didn't seem to translate to his effort: 13 points, six rebounds, three steals and two blocks.

On the other hand, as the Bobcats game was getting away from the Pistons, Wallace, adding insult to insult, conspicuously looked off his coach while he was speaking during a huddle. Sheeeed!

Considering what went on in Sacramento at the end of Webber's tour and his nearly two years of turmoil in Philadelphia, I've got to believe Webber would want to distance himself from any potential problems in what could turn out to be his Last Chance, Last Dance.

Greg Popovich permitting, the Spurs would provide Webber his best shot of earning the elusive ring, minus the pressure of great expectations, one of the limitless benefits of teaming up with Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Yes, Webber must take some of the load off those three, especially Duncan, because Robert Horry, Fabricio Oberto, Francisco Elson and Matt Bonner only have so much to donate to the cause.

On the other hand, there will be no demand or outcry from management, the media or the fans to rise above the Spurs' hallowed trinity. If Webber is able to stay healthy and contribute 15-20 points and eight-to-10 rebounds on a regular basis, it'd elevate San Antonio to the plutonium plateau where the Mavericks are operating . . . and Houston is bound to reach should Yao Ming regain his stratospheric strut when he returns in two months or so from a broken leg. If for no other reason than to deprive the Spurs, the Mavs have to think about reaching out to Webber. But the reality is, they need him like another assistant coach.

Here are some other options cited by Webber, who plans to make his decision by Monday:

Linking up with Dwight Howard in Orlando appeals to him as it does to one and all. He's tempted also by the opportunity to play for Ronnie Rothstein. But why hazard siding with Shaquille O'Neal's defending champion Heat and discover the Rehab Center isn't coming back from knee surgery a centrifugal force?

And then there are the Lakers, who happen to play in Los Angeles, a big plus in Webber's mind, because he sees himself as a big-city, big-time guy and, no doubt, sees the city of San Antonio as strictly small time.

The Lakers were the first team on his lips last night when interviewed on TNT, other than to dispute the network's earlier report the Pistons were the clear-cut favorite. Only a person with a basketball "HiQ" and an enormous ego would feel he can speed-learn Phil Jackson's triangle offense on the fly and, in chorus, figure out how to co-exist with Kobe Bryant and fit in with Lamar Odom.

That pretty much sums up Chris Webber. But as underlined when we got underway, enlisting with the Spurs is Paradise Gained. Enroll anywhere else and he's just playing games.

Despite Earl Boykins' relocation to the Bucks, as the Nuggets' most practiced scorers return from suspended contamination - J.R. Smith played in Wednesday's home setback to the Spurs; Carmelo Anthony must remain inactive for another four games - the fewer minutes there are at three positions for grunts who take pleasure in performing scutwork.

Big Ups to Dikembe Mutombo, who moved past Kareem Abdul-Jabbar into second place in all-time blocked shots (3,191) behind Hakeem Olajuwon (3,830) . . . for whatever that's worth. The stat wasn't compiled prior to the 1973-74 season.

In other words, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Nate Thurmond (for the most part), etc., aren't included. The league owes it to those who dominated that era to revisit every box score, do the math and put these guys in the rightful place. If you count blocks, we might find Wilt averaged more triple-doubles than Oscar Robertson. Seriously!

AFBlue
01-12-2007, 08:46 AM
The half-court, team-tilted Spurs would offer the lead-legged Webber defensive protection and a platinum prospect of getting off the championship schneid.

If this were the Spurs of '03 he might have a point....but this one is a reach.

If Webber is able to stay healthy and contribute 15-20 points and eight-to-10 rebounds on a regular basis, it'd elevate San Antonio to the plutonium plateau where the Mavericks are operating

If he were able to get the Spurs that, I'd sign him in a heartbeat, but I doubt that'd be his level of production.

Overall, I'm sure there are positives to bringing Webber on-board, but I'm more sure that the risks outweigh the possible gains.

boutons_
01-12-2007, 08:52 AM
"plenty of time-out calls left in him.'

cheap shot.

If Chris was 15 - 20 lbs lighter (aka "serious about playing on a re-built knee"), and the price wasn't too bad, take him.

Borosai
01-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Isn't Detroit basically a done deal?

mountainballer
01-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Overall, I'm sure there are positives to bringing Webber on-board, but I'm more sure that the risks outweigh the possible gains.

for the minimum, it would be a story like Big Dog in 2005. just do it, even if it is just to prevent him going to another contender.

for sure he isn't exactly the right plan to solve the Spurs problems. so this trade for the athletic wing should still be the focus.

in a perfect scenario the Spurs just work out a two for one trade for the player needed and fill the open spot with C-Webb on a minimum contract.
he has a horrible season and not much left in the tank, but I'm sure a big part of the decline came from being so unhappy in Philly.

AFBlue
01-12-2007, 09:10 AM
for the minimum, it would be a story like Big Dog in 2005. just do it, even if it is just to prevent him going to another contender.

for sure he isn't exactly the right plan to solve the Spurs problems. so this trade for the athletic wing should still be the focus.

in a perfect scenario the Spurs just work out a two for one trade for the player needed and fill the open spot with C-Webb on a minimum contract.
he has a horrible season and not much left in the tank, but I'm sure a big part of the decline came from being so unhappy in Philly.

Good point on keeping him away from other contenders...but at what cost to the current team? Unless the Spurs pull off a 2-1 trade, they would have to give up one of their most valuable trade assets in Eric Williams' expiring contract by cutting him. I see your point, but I still think the Spurs can do better than Webber.

mountainballer
01-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I see your point, but I still think the Spurs can do better than Webber.

of course, that is what I tried to say. signing Webber would have to be a kind of an additional move and should be dropped if it prevents another move that is more important (the aquiring of an athletic wing and somehow getting another back-up PG)

but I just read, that C-Webb will sign with Detroit, which would be the most logical move for him (hometown) and Detroit, since McDyess is playing that bad. even the Webber of this season is a huge upgrade over the McDyess of this season.

rayray2k8
01-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Isn't Detroit basically a done deal?
Thats what they're saying, but I overheard Kenny Smith say that Webber wasnt to sure about going there during one of the half time games.
If someone saw it, please note what was said.

MrChug
01-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Isn't this all a moot point now?

Streakyshooter08
01-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't think he would be able to put up 18/8 on a reagular basis but he would definetly help. But it is almost certain that he won't play for the Spurs... Pop already said they are not interested...

SequSpur
01-12-2007, 10:25 AM
There are 4-5 players on the Spurs right now that could be waived without an effect on the win loss column.... Come... on.... Pull your heads out of your asses. This deal could only benefit them.

wildbill2u
01-12-2007, 12:19 PM
For Webber to get the production in ppg and rebounds that Vescey projects, he'd have to play a ton of minutes. Whose minutes would he take?

I don't think you move TD to center and play Webber beside him in this league anymore. Both of them lumbering around the floor, trying to cut off fleet guards and SFs on help defense, would be sad to watch.

Bob Lanier
01-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Why would you want to "keep him from other contenders"? Even before he was completely finished, Chris Webber is exactly the kind of player you should be overjoyed at a contender letting handle the ball.

Of course, so is Antoine Walker.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Rick Barry and Alaa Abdelnaby said as much on "Inside the Paint" yesterday.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I think the Spurs should try to get McDyess if Webber signs with Detroit. I think Detroit would be big man heavy after signing Webber. I know Antonio hasn't had a good year, but he'd line up better with Duncan in our frontcourt than Webber would.

picnroll
01-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Are the Spurs the elephant burying ground for washed up players?

Mr. Body
01-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Are the Spurs the elephant burying ground for washed up players?

No, thank God. Well, not any more. The gates have closed on this sort of thing. Finley was last one in.

Emanuel20
01-12-2007, 12:38 PM
What will happen if we don't get webber?(which is the more likely think to happen)

Mr. Body
01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Nothing.

Emanuel20
01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
What will happen if we don't get webber?(which is most likely think to happen)

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Webber won't be a Spur. He does nothing to address the needs we have.

Case in point. We can't stop Dirk or, to a lesser degree Josh Howard, and I don't see Webber coming in and solving either of those problems for us.

MrChug
01-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Webber won't be a Spur. He does nothing to address the needs we have.

Case in point. We can't stop Dirk or, to a lesser degree Josh Howard, and I don't see Webber coming in and solving either of those problems for us.

I don't think that's the way to look at it. I really don't. Look at it from this perspective. Webber said he'd happily play center on TNT last night. Could he do as well, if not better than our current starting center? ACROSS THE BOARD YES. That would allow Fab to play 4 more often as a solid backup. That would give us 4 solid PASSING big men to help the offense flow. His help on the boards are enought to show he'd be welcome. But oh, well...Good luck Pistons.

Mr. Body
01-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Hollinger sez... "Webber is perhaps the worst frontcourt defender in the NBA."

Now, don't get excited that this means he might not be the EXACT worst defender in the NBA, but he's perfectly lousy. Essentially he scores points for the other team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't think that's the way to look at it. I really don't. Look at it from this perspective. Webber said he'd happily play center on TNT last night. Could he do as well, if not better than our current starting center? ACROSS THE BOARD YES. That would allow Fab to play 4 more often as a solid backup. That would give us 4 solid PASSING big men to help the offense flow. His help on the boards are enought to show he'd be welcome. But oh, well...Good luck Pistons.

I see what you're saying...I really do. I know he has some pretty good upside. I just think the Mavericks have instilled this notion in the Spurs coaching staff that we can't beat them going with our traditional dual big-man approach. Would Webber be happy with 6 shots a night? I'm not sure.

Plus, I'm convinced big Dave could have averaged close to 20 a night on any team except the Spurs right up until the end of his career. In Sacramento they used to run the offense through Webber. I don't see that happening here. I think Webber would be lucky to even see as many touches as DRob got here.

Webber would definitely force some teams to adjust to us on defense which would be nice...I'm just not sure Pop's that into setting the tone these days. He seems more content to try to beat a team at their game.

VaSpursFan
01-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Webber would definitely force some teams to adjust to us on defense which would be nice...I'm just not sure Pop's that into setting the tone these days. He seems more content to try to beat a team at their game.

ain't that the truth. it's always easier for you to win a game when you force a team to play the way you're accustomed to playing. it's a stretch for them and old hat for you.

webber would absolutely suck on D in transition, but could he guard a damp/diop/center in the post and keep em off the boards? i say yes and that way we still have 2 bigs in the game. plus, c. webb has the ability to make post players work on the defensive end. what could it hurt? and let's be real, our D isn't that great this year, anyway.

Mr. Body
01-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Would Webber be able to rotate on Dallas shooters raining threes on us? Will he be able to defend the pick and roll against Nash in any form or fashion?

No, absolutely not.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Would Webber be able to rotate on Dallas shooters raining threes on us? Will he be able to defend the pick and roll against Nash in any form or fashion?

No, absolutely not.

I don't think we'll have to worry about it. I'd be extremely surprised to see him become a Spur.

We'll still be left to ponder how we're going to stop the things you mention, only without Webber.

The long three and a backup point guard are definitely the true needs of this team.

picnroll
01-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Elson did a good job on Dirk in game one. Since them Pop pretty much put him on ice in game two and his shoulder put him on ice in game three. Elson has the foot speed to stay with Dirk and length to bother him a bit. I'd like to think Pop is holding him back until playoffs to drop him on Dirk and AJ.

itzsoweezee
01-12-2007, 01:37 PM
webber would be great for the spurs against certain teams. against teams like houston, lakers, utah, and some of the eastern conference teams, he'd be very useful. versus dallas and phoenix he wouldn't be much help, but that's what elson was signed for.

leemajors
01-12-2007, 01:39 PM
i'd rather try and snag mcdyess if webber goes to detroit.

timvp
01-12-2007, 04:45 PM
The half-court, team-tilted Spurs would offer the lead-legged Webber defensive protection and a platinum prospect of getting off the championship schneid.

That's the problem. The Spurs interior defense is poor as it is. Adding the worst bigman defender in the league could spell disaster. If the Spurs signed Webber, they'd get even older and even slower and even smaller and less able to guard the Mavs.

VaSpursFan
01-12-2007, 04:58 PM
i'd rather try and snag mcdyess if webber goes to detroit.

That's intriguing to me too. I wonder if they waive Dice with the Webber signing?

ShoogarBear
01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
I'd take Artis Gilmore out of retirement before I'd take Webber.

Spurs Brazil
01-12-2007, 05:17 PM
SPECIAL WEEKEND EDITION Where will Webber wind up?By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Editor's note: ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein supplies each item for this around-the-league notebook edition of the Daily Dime.
Chris Webber will soon be a Detroit Piston.

Just as he always dreamed.

Unless ...

Phil Jackson or Pat Riley or Isiah Thomas can somehow talk him out of it.

Amid a growing belief that the NBA's hottest free agent will be unable to resist the prospect of playing for his hometown team, Webber was planning to speak directly Friday to the Lakers, Heat and Knicks. Maybe Minnesota as well.

Orlando is another team he's listening to, according to NBA front-office sources, although Webber has not wavered from his stated desire to join a title contender that will give him the chance to start.

The Pistons thus remain an overwhelming favorite, but neither Detroit's pole position nor external skepticism about how much game the 33-year-old has left seems to be discouraging suitors.

The Webber Landscape as of Friday afternoon, with no firm decision expected before Saturday according to agent Aaron Goodwin:

DETROIT PISTONS

Webber wants to play significant minutes, compete for a title and resuscitate his career before re-entering the free-agent market in July. The Pistons are widely considered his clear-cut top choice because they potentially offer all of that and something bigger that Webber can find nowhere else. The chance, namely, to rebuild his relationship with the community that watched him grow up.

Webber is well removed from his days as a local icon and openly shunned by the university where he became a famous name. I'm told he badly wants to reconnect with Detroit at large and sees this opportunity -- helping a splintering team regain their standing as an East beast -- as a golden opportunity, in spite of any initial public resistance he gets and the Pistons' less-than-harmonious mood lately.

LOS ANGELES LAKERS

You surely heard Webber in his TNT interview. He barely mentioned the Pistons and sounded more excited about playing for the Lakers than anyone else. Kobe Bryant has already called to make his pitch, sources say, and Webber is admittedly mesmerized by the bright lights of David Beckham's town as well as Jackson's triangle offense.

Since Webber can't actually sign with the Pistons or anyone else until Tuesday, restricted to verbal commitments between now and then, Jackson might have enough time to convince the ex-King that he'd be better off returning to California, scene of his greatest pro successes.

The Lakers, furthermore, have a need for Webber now and later, with Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown injured at present and a squad short on playoff experience, Bryant aside, even when their starting big men are healthy.

FLORIDA

The Heat have some interest and the wherewithal to outbid Detroit and L.A., teams that can only offer Webber a pro-rated share of the veteran minimum ($1.2 million) for the rest of the season. Yet as covered in Box 6, you question how much playing time Miami can really promise Webber if Shaquille O'Neal will indeed be back this month to rejoin a frontcourt rotation that already features Alonzo Mourinng and Udonis Haslem.

Orlando would seem to be the better Florida fit, with Webber and Dwight Howard sharing Goodwin as an agent and with the Magic looking even younger and greener than the Lakers apart from Grant Hill. But the Magic, sources say, remain a serious long shot, even though the Howard connection is strong, because Webber targeted the league's elite teams from the start.

TEXAS

The Mavericks and Spurs were prominent on Webber's initial five-team wish list. But Dallas never had the minutes to be a top contender, canceling out any edge Mavs coach Avery Johnson had after playing with Webber in Golden State.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, meanwhile, also has a Warriors link to Webber, as a former Don Nelson assistant in the Bay Area. Yet Pop's Spurs made the call fairly quickly that they wouldn't pursue this, keeping faith with the big men and combo forwards who play alongside Tim Duncan -- Fabricio Oberto, Francisco Elson, Robert Horry and Matt Bonner -- and preferring to focus on its ongoing search for a jolt of youth and athleticism at the swing positions.

THE FIELD

• Webber and Isiah Thomas have been tight for years, but you suspect even Thomas realizes that Webber will field the Knicks' proposal purely out of respect for one of his boyhood heroes.

• Kevin Garnett wants Webber in Minnesota, so Kevin McHale is obligated to pursue it, but that won't go any farther than a Webber-McHale chat.

• The Cavaliers could seemingly use a big man with an eye for the pass, but decided early that they have no room in their frontcourt.

• The Nets, by contrast, do want Webber to give them a look, but face two obstacles:

1. After trading Jeff McInnis to get under the luxury-tax line last week, New Jersey doesn't want to use any of the $3.8 million it has available from its midlevel salary-cap exception because it'll be a tax team again if it spends more than $1 million.

2. Orlando is the only new team on Webber's list, sources say, getting any serious consideration.

• Talk back to ... Marc Stein | The Daily Dime gang

ABDENOUR POWER
01-12-2007, 05:17 PM
That's intriguing to me too. I wonder if they waive Dice with the Webber signing?

Not a chance. Shop him around, possibly, but actually waive him? Never.

I agree with a lot of you that McDyess could be good for the Spurs, but he simply won't end up one. McDyess would have to be traded in order to switch teams this year, and I find it highly unlikely that Detroit would want to deal him to San Antonio.

Rynospursfan
01-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Still, adding him to Detroit's churning urn of burning funk would further mess up a mix that was manhandled Wednesday in Auburn Hills by the 10-23 Bobcats.

Yeah he wouldn't want to sign with a team that lost to the Bobcats at home. :rolleyes

To me this comes down to asking one question: Would you rather have Eric Williams or Chris Webber?

For me, as long as he agreed to a possible reduced role, the answer is undoubtedly Chris Webber.

Mr. Body
01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Wasn't Webber drafted by Orlando and then traded for Penny Hardaway? That'd be crazy if they finally got him.

boutons_
01-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Webber said last night he wanted to play on team for the NBA Title?

Heat? Lakers? Wolves? Knicks? :lol

ShoogarBear
01-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I think CWebb would actually be a good fit on the Lakers, until Odom came back and then he would just be in the way.

sungo99
01-12-2007, 06:01 PM
<excerpted from my site>

I find it extremely unlikely the Spurs would entertain the notion. They already have 15 players under contract. And Pop and company have to know the answer to their problems isn't getting older and less mobile.

I wish Cuban was still in "collect veterans" mode, but I am afraid he's wised up too much to bring in Webber. The Lakers make the most sense, with their dearth of big men thanks to injuries. Webber, with his passing ability, could prove useful in the triangle offense... presuming Phil Jackson could figure out a way to electroshock him every time he shot the ball.

td4mvp21
01-12-2007, 07:00 PM
If I were the Spurs, at least show interest and see how much he wants. If he's willing to accept what we can give him and expect to be the fourth option, sign him. He'll give us around 12 and 10 probably. Better than anything we have right now. Too bad he'll probably look to be a top option.

exstatic
01-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Not a chance. Shop him around, possibly, but actually waive him? Never.

I agree with a lot of you that McDyess could be good for the Spurs, but he simply won't end up one. McDyess would have to be traded in order to switch teams this year, and I find it highly unlikely that Detroit would want to deal him to San Antonio.
Wonder if they'd take Williams' ending contract + filler to make it work to get out of one year of paying him to sit on the end of the bench?

Marcus Bryant
01-12-2007, 07:32 PM
At this point I'd roll the dice due to his ability to rebound and put up points. Not a perfect fit, but given what the Spurs have, it's worth it.

my2sons
01-12-2007, 07:34 PM
i keep reading he can't rotate to shooter and can't guard dirk, hell who can. problem is he would not be covering dirk, he would be guarding eric freaking dampier and his slow replacement. Because of his nice outside touch, he would be opening the middle up for timmy because their bigs would not be able to double team. pop does a decent job of hiding weaknesses, he would just be another piece. i am not all that excited about him, but i do believe the elephant cemetary would wait a season or two for this fossil

ABDENOUR POWER
01-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Wonder if they'd take Williams' ending contract + filler to make it work to get out of one year of paying him to sit on the end of the bench?

Detroit would never make that trade, especially to a potential opponent like San Antonio. I think McDyess is a good enough player that in order for it to be worth trading him, Detroit has to actually get something worthwhile in return.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Damn Pop, Webber would have been perfect for the Spurs

bigfundamental21
01-12-2007, 09:41 PM
There are too many uncertainties with Webber and I don't think we are in a position to take chances that maybe he will be able to contribute. We could take him on should the Maggette deal go through as we would have an open roster spot, but that would still leave a hole at the backup point, which is definitely more important. It's almost a toss up as to whether or not CWebb will be of benefit to the team. We want to get faster and more athletic, not slower and older.

Man In Black
01-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Sometimes I think Vescey writes shit to make teams react stupidly. He wants it to happen because this will make the Spurs weaker...not stronger.