PDA

View Full Version : Latest team report from hoopsworld

nbascribe
01-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Say gang:

Here's the latest team report assessment from hoopsworld written by your's truly. check it out.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_20346.shtml

g. moore

wildbill2u
01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Say gang:

Here's the latest team report assessment from hoopsworld written by your's truly. check it out.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_20346.shtml

g. moore
Well, your certainly a contrarian. Seems like about 90% of the posters on Spurstalk have exactly the opposite opinon of Beno and his potential after watching him for almost three years. :wakeup

Damn I wish you were right.

MrChug
01-12-2007, 12:44 PM
"...very few teams have slowed his roll..." YESSSS! I love that phrase! I have an eternal optomism about Beno, but it just seems in the Spurs current situation his percieved potential may be what we need to bring in a piece that could put us over the top. That's made more and more palatable when you have a season like he's having.

Mr. Body
01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't think the Spurs passed on the trade because they think Udrih will turn the corner, it's because they have no other options. They weren't going to trade their two ballhandlers off the bench for a guy who isn't a point guard. That's plain and simple. Now, optimism that Beno will somehow get a fire in his tummy is one thing, but I'll take the Spurs' words at face value on this one.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-12-2007, 01:03 PM
G, do you thinking writing for HoopsWorld tarnishes your credibility? Don't sell your soul man, you're too good for that!

VaSpursFan
01-12-2007, 01:12 PM
well written, but that's a pure fluff piece.

beno has nowhere near the value you intimated in the article. that's what us spurs fans have been pining for, for years. we hoped beno would evolve into the player you described. it hasn't happened and i'm afraid it won't.

mountainballer
01-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, your certainly a contrarian. Seems like about 90% of the posters on Spurstalk have exactly the opposite opinon of Beno and his potential after watching him for almost three years. :wakeup

yes, like about 90% of the people who care for Basketball have exactly the opposite opinion of whatever Hoopsworld reports.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Well, GMo might be reading a bit too much into Beno's play and not enough into Maggette's effect on future cap space, but it's fair to say that Beno is getting another chance to prove himself before the trade deadline. I'll repeat there is no sense of urgency for any potential Clipper trade partner or the Clippers themselves. If Maggette is traded, it'll probably be next month.

Egg
01-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Udrih is making about $968,000 this season and has two years left on a deal worth a reported $4.46 million.

huh? I thought it was only 1 year left

baseline bum
01-12-2007, 10:11 PM
With all due respect, are you on fucking crack? Beno has been a complete bust since the All-Star break in his rookie year. He hit that rookie wall, and never even bothered to get up. Udrih is so frustrating to watch as a Spurs fan. I know every one of us remembers how he took over the point, hit his jumpers, penetrated and created shots for others in that Phoenix game in 2004. What the hell happened to that Beno Udrih? The one that had half the board ready to trade Tony in the first half of the 2004-05 season? My guess? Teams figured him out once they had good scouting reports on him. Udrih's early-career success went to his head. He was lazy and didn't work on his weaknesses, which every team in the league now knew how to exploit. Seriously, has Udrih added anything new to his game since 2004?

Tony Parker learned how to finish at the rim in 2003. Then he became a much better passer in 2004. In 2005 he regressed a bit, but into 2006 he developed a decent jump shot.

Tim Duncan was a pretty average defender in 1998. By 2001 he was an elite defensive big. By 2002 he was automatic from the top of the key, and his ballhandling was good enough that he was leading breaks.

Manu Ginobili couldn't shoot in 2002-03. By 03-04 he was a legit three-point threat, and now he's probably the best on the team from long range.

Bruce Bowen came to the Spurs as one dimensional a player as possible in 2002, but he worked on his shot and by 2003 he led the league in 3pt shooting. By 2004-05 he couold even hit the pull-up j from 12 feet or so.

Name me one thing Udrih has improved on that would make the Spurs believe he's ever destined to do more than he is now? Beno doesn't care, and that's why he sucks.

The Truth #6
01-12-2007, 10:52 PM
I thought Beno showed glimpses in the first few games of the season. He was passing and shooting well, and our early success was helped by his strong play. Now, he just seems lost. I don't want to say I've given up on him, if only because he is one of the few x factors on the team that could positively affect our season. I think most of the other players potential contributions are better known.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2007, 05:09 AM
Greg, I don't see what you see in Beno's play that would make you think he's worth keeping here. He's supposed to be a good shooter and a good passer, but right now he's just not. And I think everyone in the Spurs organization is probably frustrated with his lack of progress.

Another question, what does this mean?

The Spurs have almost $25 million in guaranteed monies with Barry and Beno’s two-year deals. Taking on Maggette and his salary would put the Spurs in a serious financial crunch due to the luxury tax. As good as he is and probably as good as he could be in San Antonio, Maggette is not worth the $45 million he would command the following season.

Shaolin-Style
01-13-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm glad the trade didn't happen.

I just realized if I abbreviated my name like Greg Moore abbreviates his, it'd spell "E Mo"...lucky me.

wildbill2u
01-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Name me one thing Udrih has improved on that would make the Spurs believe he's ever destined to do more than he is now?"

Uh....well there are lots of areas where he's improved: He has better excuses for not being able to play because of injuries? How about better fashion sense in the selection of designer purses? A higher body fat content?