PDA

View Full Version : Japanese residents told to flee tsunami

Pistons < Spurs
01-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Japan's Meteorological Agency issued tsunami warnings Saturday following a powerful 8.3 magnitude earthquake in the Pacific Ocean and officials ordered coastal residents to flee to higher ground.
ADVERTISEMENT

The agency said waves as high as 3.3-feet could hit the northeastern coast of Japan's northern island of Hokkaido around 2 p.m. (12 a.m. EST).

The quake struck around 1:24 p.m. about 310 miles east of the Etorofu islands between northern Japan and Russia, the agency said. There were no immediate report of injuries or damage from the quake.

Local authorities along Hokkaido's coast ordered residents living along the northern and eastern coasts of Japan's northern main island of Hokkaido to evacuate to higher ground.

Hideo Suzuki, a municipal official for the town of Rausu, said he had not observed any visible change of the sea level as of around 2 p.m., although the town has ordered all residents to evacuate.

Temblors of magnitude 7 are generally classified as major earthquakes, capable of widespread, heavy damage.

Tsunami waves — generated by earthquakes — are often barely noticeable in the ocean but can rise to great heights once they arrive at shore.

On Dec. 26, 2004, a magnitude-9.0 earthquake off Indonesia's Sumatra island spawned giant waves that fanned out across the Indian Ocean at jetliner speeds, leaving at least 230,000 dead and millions of homeless in its wake.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070113/ap_on_re_as/japan_earthquake

Zombie
01-13-2007, 12:52 AM
waves 3.3 feet high?
Man Avoid Hawaii like the plaque then! That Pipeline is gonna kill everyone on that island!

MannyIsGod
01-13-2007, 12:52 AM
I think thats a typo

CubanMustGo
01-13-2007, 01:00 AM
I think thats a typo

You'd think so, but I saw three separate stories, one of which said the waves would be 1m (which is 3.3 ft). The others simply said 3.3'.

Zombie
01-13-2007, 01:01 AM
I think thats a typo
Ya think?
Surfs up dude, Canyon Lake is rockin today! :lol

Fillmoe
01-13-2007, 01:45 AM
where to start..........

first off i hope JB's family is going to be aight..... second 3.3 ft waves are huge when the avg height in japan aint much....... and finally they better run like godzilla is coming into town