PDA

View Full Version : Just recently got back from Paris and confirmed Tony's fame

GrandeDavid
01-13-2007, 05:43 AM
I kicked of the New Year in Paris this year and had a great time, but in being true to the contents of this particular forum, I'll spare you all the photos and restaurant critiques. The Buddha Bar is a blast - excellent wines, cuisine (of course) and they have a nice cigar selection for an after dinner chill moment, and CD collections I'd highly recommend purchasing. OK, that was the only tip.

Anyway, occassionally it would possess me to ask the nearest person to me, be it a cab driver, a waiter, a hot cocktail waitress, a manager at Cartier or wine connoisseur what their thoughts were on Tony Parker. I assumed I needed not ask if they knew of him. I figured they'd ask me if they didn't.

I'm pleased to report back that of the dozen or so Parisians I asked, encompassing diverse walks of life, all of them not only knew of Tony, but they liked talking about him. I think around 10/12 of them were excited about him marrying Eva Longoria and think it'll help grow his fame in America, make him into a brand. While I don't see Tony Parker becoming a rival of Brand David Beckham, Tony's name is getting out there.

Anyway, here's the fun Tony Parker story. I went to the Adidas Megastore on Champs Elysees (by the way, service in virtually all Parisian stores is exceptionally friendly and professional, so is my experience). The store was rocking with the latest trends. As I tried on my new A3 running kicks so I could get in a few 10 and 15K runs while in town, I asked the dude helping me out the Tony Parker question. The guy was psyched. When I told him I'm originally from San Antonio and that I've rapped with Tony's Dad a few times and met Tony once, he freaked and told me I was his "hero". He says he's trying to go pro in France. Then he introduced me to the store manager and within a minute, the manager and about six salespeople are standing around me asking me my take on Tony's growth in the NBA, if he'll reach Jordanesque hype, what his American Dad is like, etc. etc.

It was fun! Props to Tony for all the love he gets in Paris. He wouldn't get it if he treated people poorly, so that shows me he's got real game, which means not only on the court, but much, much, much more importantly, he has humanity game. He's a good guy. Then again, maybe its the vanity that gets the people so excited.

JPB
01-13-2007, 07:02 AM
He's also an example for young pro players who are dreaming about the NBA. TP showed that it's not an unreachable goal if you work hard (and if you has the talent of course).

The fact that he's not a big headed egocentric guy and that he's in a classy team is important because he has some influence on these young players.

He and Boris Diaw send a message : work ethic and respectful behaviour.

Concerning his overall celebrity, well... it has a lot to do with his presence in the media and the tabloïd press with Eva, which is much less interesting me, well not at all in fact. I wouldn't say I'm particularly appreciating this side of TP.

ShoogarBear
01-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I think this was just an excuse for GrandeDavid to post about how he gets to go to Paris for New Year's and can speak French.

koopa
01-13-2007, 01:40 PM
He's also an example for young pro players who are dreaming about the NBA. TP showed that it's not an unreachable goal if you work hard (and if you has the talent of course).

The fact that he's not a big headed egocentric guy and that he's in a classy team is important because he has some influence on these young players.

He and Boris Diaw send a message : work ethic and respectful behaviour.

Concerning his overall celebrity, well... it has a lot to do with his presence in the media and the tabloïd press with Eva, which is much less interesting me, well not at all in fact. I wouldn't say I'm particularly appreciating this side of TP.

the hell he ain't, ever since he met eva, and made the all star team, he has only cared about his points, he has gone from an up and comming point guard to a wanna be kobe bryant, he no longer looks to get his teammates involved, he is always starring at the hoop trying to figure a way to get his points first.........he'd much rather get a hard lay up with a bunch of ppl on him then pass the ball to an open teammate for an easy dunk or layup.....

TDMVPDPOY
01-13-2007, 01:54 PM
french partizans comparin tp+eva to the beckhams? hahhahahahahahah

beckhams>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.tp+eva

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-13-2007, 02:41 PM
I think this was just an excuse for GrandeDavid to post about how he gets to go to Paris for New Year's and can speak French.

:lol

Great minds post alike. I just had the same thought!

*Umm, how can I post about chillin' in Paris aaaannndd make it Spurs related to keep it out of the Club so more people can marvel at the phenomena that is...Grande David? Tony Parker...that's it! I'll pretend to ask some shmoes about Tony! Heck I can even throw in something about running in some marathons. Not only will people know I've got bling, but they can marvel at my incredible physique as well! Magnifique!*

Kori Ellis
01-13-2007, 02:43 PM
the hell he ain't, ever since he met eva, and made the all star team, he has only cared about his points, he has gone from an up and comming point guard to a wanna be kobe bryant, he no longer looks to get his teammates involved, he is always starring at the hoop trying to figure a way to get his points first.........he'd much rather get a hard lay up with a bunch of ppl on him then pass the ball to an open teammate for an easy dunk or layup.....

:lmao
That might be the worst post ever.

MannyIsGod
01-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Is th IP on that post from Argentina?

Jesus.

Tony Parker is the best player in the NBA. I'm going to start going Sequ on you fuckers.

JPB
01-13-2007, 03:01 PM

I'm glad I didn't have to post it myself...

T Park
01-13-2007, 03:07 PM

Grande that sounds like my recent european experience.

Checking in to customs in Switzerland wearing my spurs hat the guard smiled and said

"Spurs, Tony Parker wi? I said Wi, and he smiled and in heavily accented english said "Favorite player in world"

Was funny, here the guy is from SWITZERLAND, and he knows Tony Parker.

Its unreal.

JPB
01-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I guess you mean "oui" :)

It's not that surprising. People in the the "french" swiss can catch the french TV channels and share part of France culture.

I think there's a swiss guy in Chicago with an unprounoncable name.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-13-2007, 03:16 PM

"Spurs, Tony Parker wi? I said Wi, and he smiled and in heavily accented english said "Favorite player in world"

Its unreal.

I think he was asking you if Tony had a wireless internet connection at his house.

JPB
01-13-2007, 03:30 PM
I think he was asking you if Tony had a wireless internet connection at his house.

That was my first reaction too. :)

Wi ?...... Oh right.
French people make jokes about swiss people accent but I didn't know Tpark was aware of that :)

Slomo
01-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Is th IP on that post from Argentina?

Jesus.

Tony Parker is the best player in the NBA. I'm going to start going Sequ on you fuckers.Just because of our Argentinian friends and to save Americans from venturing into another ill advised foreign agression of the Sequ type, the answer is no.

koopa
01-13-2007, 03:51 PM
:lmao

that's probably cause you are to bias to realize it, parker only cares about his points, getting assist is last on his mind.......

spurschick
01-13-2007, 03:55 PM
that's probably cause you are to bias to realize it, parker only cares about his points, getting assist is last on his mind.......

:corn:

1Parker1
01-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Just recently got back from Paris and confirmed Tony's fame

:lol Does anyone else find the title of this thread slightly humorous?

JPB
01-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Bob Lanier
01-13-2007, 04:07 PM
URGENT UPDATE

I printed out a full-page image of Tony (this one (http://starophileimages.free.fr/wallpapers/tony_parker_002.jpg)) and showed it to six people on my way to work this morning. Nobody recognized him :(

My scientific survey proves that Brand Parker hasn't penetrated to Singapore yet. But hell - he's young.

JPB
01-13-2007, 04:13 PM
damn Tony,

you should shave more than just your head !

Shelly
01-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I heart the Chopster!

I think Tony's more famous for his rapping skillz.

Borosai
01-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Damn, now I need to go to France too.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2007, 04:24 PM

04-05 season - before he was a big headed All-Star, he shot 14.0 times a game and averaged .18 assists per minute.

05-06 season - when he was a big headed All-Star, he shot 14.2 times a game and averaged .17 assists per minute (He also shot 55% from the field - oh the horror of having a 55% FG shooter upping his shots by .2 shots per game.)

In the 05-06 playoffs, Pop asked him to shoot 20-25 times per game.

This season, he's still averaging .17 assists per minute, less turnovers than in the previous two seasons, and he's averaging 15 shots per game.

So where is the big indicator of selfish play, ballhogging and not dishing?

T Park
01-13-2007, 04:35 PM
koopa will have no answer im sure

Kori Ellis
01-13-2007, 04:37 PM
koopa will have no answer im sure

He'll have an answer. He'll say something like "Watch the game, you'll see he never passes." And then he'll say I'm bias again.

I've never denied that Tony has tunnel vision on occasion (and those occasions are less and less as he matures). But to say that since he met Eva and became on All-Star, he's a selfish prick and doesn't care about the team (which is basically what he's saying) is ridiculous.

T Park
01-13-2007, 04:39 PM
BTW, where is the faction that said "Tony isn't going to improve anymore, what you see is what you get"

koopa
01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
He'll have an answer. He'll say something like "Watch the game, you'll see he never passes." And then he'll say I'm bias again.

I've never denied that Tony has tunnel vision on occasion (and those occasions are less and less as he matures). But to say that since he met Eva and became on All-Star, he's a selfish prick and doesn't care about the team (which is basically what he's saying) is ridiculous.

how do you know what i'm gonna say if i've never talked to you before on this forum???

he's still not a good point guard, i rather have more assist from my pg then for him to shoot a shit load......it pisses me off seeing him go in a crowd and trying to score then seeing him pass it off for an easier try at scoring......he might as well play shooting guard

and i don't care about assist per min....i care about them throughout the game and he avg. under 6, he's the starting point guard, you'd think he'd avg at least 6 per game....

i watch him play every game and all i see is him forcing stupid shit, and never giving it to tim or manu down the stretch of big games, he thinks he's the superstar of this team when in actuality he's nothing more then the 3rd best player on this team......and fuck pop, he's stupid for telling him to shoot more, his job should be passing not shooting

ChumpDumper
01-13-2007, 05:20 PM
:lol Parker would average 12 assists per game if his teammates could connect after Tony's kickouts. Thank goodness he shoots 53% to make up for them.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2007, 05:23 PM
If he's constantly "forcing stupid shit" he wouldn't shoot above 50% from the floor.

Tony's a scoring point guard, not a distributing point guard. That's not a secret. All I know is that, the majority of the time, he's doing exactly what the Spurs want from him.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2007, 05:24 PM
:lol Parker would average 12 assists per game if his teammates could connect after Tony's kickouts. Thank goodness he shoots 53% to make up for them.

Don't lie, he never passes. Especially to Tim and Manu. :lol

timvp
01-13-2007, 05:26 PM
and never giving it to tim or manu down the stretch of big games

:dizzy

Solid D
01-13-2007, 05:36 PM
'Just got back from Wal-Mart and the greeters all knew who Tony Parker is.

ShoogarBear
01-13-2007, 05:37 PM
:lol Does anyone else find the title of this thread slightly humorous?No.

Nobody's famous until you have the stamp of approval from the SpursTalk Jet-Setter.

Hey, GD, what do you do anyway?

Kori Ellis
01-13-2007, 05:39 PM

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/images/walmart_greeter.jpg
"Huh? What did you say? Oui as in Tony Parker? Or Wi as in Wi-fi?"

ShoogarBear
01-13-2007, 05:39 PM
URGENT UPDATE

I printed out a full-page image of Tony (this one (http://starophileimages.free.fr/wallpapers/tony_parker_002.jpg)) and showed it to six people on my way to work this morning. Nobody recognized him :(

My scientific survey proves that Brand Parker hasn't penetrated to Singapore yet. But hell - he's young.Thank you for saving us from the resulting estrogen surge which would have happened if you had actually posted that picture.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2007, 05:40 PM
No.

Nobody's famous until you have the stamp of approval from the SpursTalk Jet-Setter.

Hey, GD, what do you do anyway?

I believe GD is in Brazilian exports.

ShoogarBear
01-13-2007, 05:40 PM
And isn't there a Swiss player in the NBA now?

Solid D
01-13-2007, 05:41 PM

:rollin

ShoogarBear
01-13-2007, 05:42 PM
I believe GD is in Brazilian exports.You mean he's doing Adriana Lima? :wow

T Park
01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Ha ha ha....

Bob Lanier
01-13-2007, 05:53 PM
"We're all out of Wiis, young man."

Parker would average 12 assists per game if his teammates could connect
If every shooter in the NBA could connect we'd have 250 players averaging a double-double. You lead the league in 3-point percentage; there's not much more you can ask of them - somehow several other players average more assists without having that enormous advantage.

TP simply is not a very good passer, but he's become an average one. And, at least unlike MVP candidate Chucker Brickups, he can run a fast break.

spurschick
01-13-2007, 05:53 PM

Word. There have definitely been games where Tony's been cold and has recognized early on who has the potential to have a hot night.

JPB
01-13-2007, 06:08 PM

JPB
01-13-2007, 06:15 PM
If he's constantly "forcing stupid shit" he wouldn't shoot above 50% from the floor.

Tony's a scoring point guard, not a distributing point guard. That's not a secret. All I know is that, the majority of the time, he's doing exactly what the Spurs want from him.

:tu

Must be the ultimate post on Tony. Everything is there.

Too bad some just people can't figure this out.

koopa
01-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Don't lie, he never passes. Especially to Tim and Manu. :lol

i don't remember saying he never does, if you would read correctly you would see it say down the stretch of big games, he tries to much to be a hero when he is nothing more then a choke artist in big games

Mijo
01-13-2007, 06:30 PM
GD lives in Brazil and his parents live in the Dominion? That's news to me....

spurschick
01-13-2007, 06:34 PM
i don't remember saying he never does, if you would read correctly you would see it say down the stretch of big games, he tries to much to be a hero when he is nothing more then a choke artist in big games

Then why is that the last plays in those situations are usually called for Timmy or Manu? I've only seen Tony take over games when it's necessary for him to do so. Do you really think that Pop would allow it to happen if he thought it was to the detriment of the team?

ObiwanGinobili
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM

koopa, you really have no leg to stand on in this argument accept your own personal dislike for TP. Everything you have asserted has been disproven by fact.

MannyIsGod
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Holy shit the threads have been funny today. I guess the cold is bringing out everyone's A game. That Wal-Mart picture is classic.

Shelly
01-13-2007, 06:47 PM

Hot DAYUM!!! That's the greeter SW and I were fighting over many moons ago.

Le Sigh...

KB24
01-13-2007, 06:54 PM
URGENT UPDATE

I printed out a full-page image of Tony (http://starophileimages.free.fr/wallpapers/tony_parker_002.jpg[/IMG]this one ([IMG)) and showed it to six people on my way to work this morning. Nobody recognized him :(

My scientific survey proves that Brand Parker hasn't penetrated to Singapore yet. But hell - he's young.

WHAT A FRUITCAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://starophileimages.free.fr/wallpapers/tony_parker_002.jpg

FAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrandeDavid
01-13-2007, 07:08 PM

HA HA!!! I hear ya, man. In all honesty, this is the first prolonged stay in a country in which I don't speak the language. I speak enough French to "get by", but yeah, once conversation ventured beyond the chit chat level, the kind French hosts eventually shifted into English. I was honestly very pleased at how willingly and kindly the French spoke English. It was a great time.

ChumpDumper
01-13-2007, 07:10 PM
there's not much more you can ask of them - somehow several other players average more assists without having that enormous advantage.They have folks doing more than standing around the arc.

GrandeDavid
01-13-2007, 08:02 PM
I believe GD is in Brazilian exports.

My main profession is exactly what Kori said, but I also represent U.S. companies with investments in South America, mainly Brazil.

But I will add that I work hard and I don't jet set first class.

GrandeDavid
01-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Grande that sounds like my recent european experience.

Checking in to customs in Switzerland wearing my spurs hat the guard smiled and said

Its unreal.

Awesome! :toast

GrandeDavid
01-13-2007, 08:08 PM
:lol Does anyone else find the title of this thread slightly humorous?

I'll admit its a bit of a generic title, but I'm not getting paid to titillate readers. :lol

The point was that it was neat, if you will, to hear firsthand how a small market Spurs player, who is all but a shadow to superstar Tim Duncan in the States, is being held in superstar regard in his home country.

SequSpur
01-13-2007, 08:11 PM
welcome to 2007 grande... i've been saying this shit for a year now? I can't believe this topic isn't locked for being stupid.

Parker is the best player in the NBA.

GrandeDavid
01-13-2007, 08:15 PM
welcome to 2007 grande... i've been saying this shit for a year now? I can't believe this topic isn't locked for being stupid.

Parker is the best player in the NBA.

Well, I just wanted to tell a personal account to mix things up a bit. Glad you enjoyed it. :downspin:

ehz33satx
01-14-2007, 01:18 AM
I guess you mean "oui" :)

It's not that surprising. People in the the "french" swiss can catch the french TV channels and share part of France culture.

I think there's a swiss guy in Chicago with an unprounoncable name.

Thabo Sefolosha