PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper's Big Board (Insider)

johngateswhiteley
01-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Underclassmen take over Big Board
Insider
Kiperjr
By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN.com
Archive

*1. Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech (6-4, 225) | previous: UR
He's not only a tremendous athlete, but he's also a hard worker and very team oriented.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same
Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: 1
Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn did throw two interceptions in Sugar Bowl after throwing just one INT in his previous eight games.

*4. JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU (6-6, 260) | previous: UR
Big, strong signal caller with a powerful arm. Decision-making improved significantly this season.

*5. Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas (6-5, 270) | previous: UR
Gifted athlete, coming off an exceptional 2006 campaign. A complete player, equally as solid versus the run as he is as a pass rusher.

*6. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma (6-1½, 218) | previous: UR
Talented RB with an excellent burst to the outside for a back his size. The concern is durability.

*7. Alan Branch, DT, Michigan (6-5½, 328) | previous: UR
Huge and athletic, Branch is a true space-eater along the interior. Once his technique improves, watch out!

*8. Marshawn Lynch, RB, California (5-11, 224) | previous: UR
Complete big back, right on the heels of Adrian Peterson when it comes to who will be the top RB in the draft.

9. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) | previous: 4
Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams leads the Tigers with 10½ sacks and 15½ tackles for loss.

10. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: 3
Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage. Hall leads the Wolverines with three interceptions.

11. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: 6
Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career. Landry lead LSU with 42 solo tackles.

12. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville (6-1½, 298) | previous: 5
A four-year veteran, and he is only 19 years old. Okoye is quick and explosive and goes all-out on every play. He is not only good at eating up space but also gets good penetration into the backfield. He's second on the Cardinals in both sacks and tackles for loss.

13. Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame (6-4½, 215) | previous: 10
Super hands and concentration with outstanding speed-to-size ratio. He caught a touchdown pass in the final five games of the season.

*14. Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC (6-4, 210) | previous: UR
Has the size and natural pass receiving skills to create mismatches against smaller CB's. Also has better quickness out of his break than people give him credit for.

*15. Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee (6-2½, 210) | previous: UR
Came through with a number of highlight film type "wow" plays this season. If he runs well at the Combine, Meachem could elevate his draft position in the weeks leading up to the draft.

16. Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas (6-5, 308) | previous: 9
Ugoh's stock has been rising all year to the point where he's one of the more intriguing senior prospects in the nation.

*17. Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia (6-2, 280) | previous: UR
Shows natural pass rush skills and his workout numbers should be eye catching.

18. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: 15
Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side.

*19. Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina (6-3, 200) | previous: Angular wide-out with a nice burst out of his break and above average hands. The key for Rice will be how well he runs at the combine workout.

20. Ryan Kalil, C, USC (6-2½, 292) | previous: 12
His performance during the latter stages of his career has been that of a first- or second-round draft choice.

*21. Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St. (6-2¼, 233) | previous: UR
Moves right to the top of a very subpar LB'ing corps overall, particularly from the senior class. His production and consistency from game to game are what jumps out at you with Timmons.

22. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska (6-6, 320) | previous: 8
You just don't see many defensive ends carrying 300 pounds who can move as well as Carriker.

23. Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU (6-2, 217) | previous: 13
Big and productive, Bowe runs excellent routes and has the toughness to catch the ball in traffic.

24. Marshal Yanda, OT, Iowa (6-4, 300) | previous: UR
Well coached with outstanding technique, Yanda has been enjoying a steady rise up the draft board. Also will provide a great deal of versatility at the pro level.

24. Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue (6-3¼, 273) | previous: 18
He has become a much more effective pass-rusher this season for the Boilermakers. The key at the next level will be his athleticism and versatility, because I project he would be an ideal outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

*-denotes underclassman

Click here to send a question to Mel Kiper for possible use on ESPNEWS.

JMarkJohns
01-13-2007, 09:32 AM
The Cardinals need either of...

Gifted athlete, coming off an exceptional 2006 campaign. A complete player, equally as solid versus the run as he is as a pass rusher.

Huge and athletic, Branch is a true space-eater along the interior. Once his technique improves, watch out!

A four-year veteran, and he is only 19 years old. Okoye is quick and explosive and goes all-out on every play. He is not only good at eating up space but also gets good penetration into the backfield. He's second on the Cardinals in both sacks and tackles for loss.

Ugoh's stock has been rising all year to the point where he's one of the more intriguing senior prospects in the nation.

In order of preference, I'd like either Joe Thomas, Jamaal Anderson, Amobi Okoye, Tony Ugoh or Alan Branch.

I hope either Thomas or Anderson are there when they pick #5.

johngateswhiteley
01-13-2007, 09:39 AM

In order of preference, I'd like either Joe Thomas, Jamaal Anderson, Amobi Okoye, Tony Ugoh or Alan Branch.

offensive line has to be their biggest priority. their defense isn't that bad.

JMarkJohns
01-13-2007, 10:10 AM
offensive line has to be their biggest priority. their defense isn't that bad.

Thomas is the only Top-5 quality offensive lineman. Realistically, there isn't even another top-10 one they can reach for from need. Most mocks/big boards have only two or three lineman going in the top-20. If Thomas isn't there, then they are forced to either add redundant offensive talent or address a few weaknesses in their defense. While getting Peterson or Lynch would be awfully tempting, it's just not smart.

The Cardinals gave up HUGE plays last year. Every game there was a 40-yard something-or-other. Run, pass, screen... at least twice a game and when you look at the final scores of the Cardinals games this past year, you see that there was roughly four or five games they could have one had the number of "big plays" ben reduced significantly.

A big reason for this was their defensive backs. Still, with all the rules in place now that prohibit contact and whatnot, it's not even worth taking a DB in the first round. Since shut-down cornerbacks are few and far between nowadays, I figure getting an explosive pass rush will help. Give the QB less time to get set and make the throws. If not the pass rush, then a ball-hawk of a linebacker (which is what I'm hoping Anderson could turn into) or a dominant tackle to stuff the run up the middle and force things to the edges where the screens can be sniffed out as they are used more frequently and the Cardinals can go back to having four DBs instead of consistantly playing eight men up front.

Order of importance...

Offensive linemen (need two in the first five rounds that can run-block)
Linebacker (need a middle one with pass-rushing/run-stuffing potential)
Defensive tackle (doesn't have to be a monster, just has to stuff the run)
Defensive end (fast, long-arms, good leaper a must. Get in the QB sightlines)
Defensive back (would like a hard-hitting safety)

johngateswhiteley
01-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Thomas is the only Top-5 quality offensive lineman. Realistically, there isn't even another top-10 one they can reach for from need. Most mocks/big boards have only two or three lineman going in the top-20. If Thomas isn't there, then they are forced to either add redundant offensive talent or address a few weaknesses in their defense. While getting Peterson or Lynch would be awfully tempting, it's just not smart.

The Cardinals gave up HUGE plays last year. Every game there was a 40-yard something-or-other. Run, pass, screen... at least twice a game and when you look at the final scores of the Cardinals games this past year, you see that there was roughly four or five games they could have one had the number of "big plays" ben reduced significantly.

A big reason for this was their defensive backs. Still, with all the rules in place now that prohibit contact and whatnot, it's not even worth taking a DB in the first round. Since shut-down cornerbacks are few and far between nowadays, I figure getting an explosive pass rush will help. Give the QB less time to get set and make the throws. If not the pass rush, then a ball-hawk of a linebacker (which is what I'm hoping Anderson could turn into) or a dominant tackle to stuff the run up the middle and force things to the edges where the screens can be sniffed out as they are used more frequently and the Cardinals can go back to having four DBs instead of consistantly playing eight men up front.

Order of importance...

Offensive linemen (need two in the first five rounds that can run-block)
Linebacker (need a middle one with pass-rushing/run-stuffing potential)
Defensive tackle (doesn't have to be a monster, just has to stuff the run)
Defensive end (fast, long-arms, good leaper a must. Get in the QB sightlines)
Defensive back (would like a hard-hitting safety)

while i don't disagree with anything you said, i'd like to make light of a few things:

1. Arizona was horrible against the pass and average against the run. when the pass defense shores up i think the run defense will automatically get a little better as well, they won't be so stretched out...so to speak

2. Arizona was fantastic in takeaways, the only teams (in the NFC) with more were minnesota and chicago

3. their offensive line has got to be the worst in the league

so, i say again...their offensive line has to be #1, plus you have to protect Leinart and James. and some type of improvement in pass coverage ability be it LB or DB or pressure up front. i think the cards will get Thomas, btw.

leemajors
01-13-2007, 10:41 AM
any reason blalock isn't on that board?

Pugglekicker_21
01-13-2007, 06:09 PM
any reason blalock isn't on that board?

right? he stay at Texas for his senior season because he didnt want to be a late first early second rounder

im sure the cowboys will take a hard look at him if hes available

scott
01-13-2007, 07:54 PM
For the Cowboys?

24. Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue (6-3¼, 273) | previous: 18
He has become a much more effective pass-rusher this season for the Boilermakers. The key at the next level will be his athleticism and versatility, because I project he would be an ideal outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

JMarkJohns
01-13-2007, 08:31 PM
...Arizona was horrible against the pass and average against the run. when the pass defense shores up i think the run defense will automatically get a little better as well, they won't be so stretched out...so to speak

I think similer, but opposite of your logic as I believe their pass-defense (cover defense is more like it) gets better when they stop needing consistant 8-man fronts to stop the run. The get a ball-hawk middle linebacker and another run-stuffing tackle and by just being able to consistantly play a traditional four back pass coverage, they get better.

I'd prefer they go after Briggs, then draft nothing but linemen (Off and Def) on the first day. But they can't go after Briggs until after the draft, correct? So they'll need to take one LB on the first day. I would opinions as to whether Anderson can convert to a middle linebacker? From the games I've seen, he's definately quick enough to play the position. I think with his pass/run defensive skills it's the best position for him to max out at. You play him on the end, then you loose some of his rush defense. You play him up the middle as a tackle and you loose some of his penetration. You play him as the ball hawk middle LB and he's the free body that blitzes and hits the effin' RB in the GD mouth!

Horry For 3!
01-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Mel Kiper isn't that great, he has been horrible the past couple of years in projections

Mr Dio
01-14-2007, 06:11 PM

AZ shouldn't have wasted the pick last yr on Matt.....Guy is horrible when the opposing D turns up the heat & he's quite a fragile thing.

UtownSpur
01-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Do the Texans take Adrian Peterson? Will he still be available when they pick...they only team i see that could take AP would be Cleveland.

Spurologist
01-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Someone explain how you are a #1 pick if you're not a tremendous athlete

JMarkJohns
01-14-2007, 09:20 PM
I think either Detroit or Cleveland could pick him, but I think Cleveland is more likely to take a QB if Russell or Quinn are available.

Right now, I 'spect the top-10 goes...

1. Russell or Quinn
2. Thomas
3. Quinn or Russell
4. Johnson
5. Branch
6. Anderson
7. Hall
8. Peterson
9. Dorsey
10. Jarrett