PDA

View Full Version : Foul 'foul shooting'

Quasar
11-09-2004, 04:09 AM
Interesting article on shooting.

Tom Norland's website looks like it's out to con people but I tried the fundamentals mentionned in his free videos (http://www.swish22.com/videoclips.html) (I'm cheap :p ) and they did work! I improved my FG% by at least 30% in just 5 sessions of 1.5hrs.

The only problem is that it takes a while for the new shooting form to come automatically when in game... I tend to go back to the old shooting form by reflex... But when I have time to set up my shot and ensure I use the right form, it works wonders. And I get blocked much less often now, due to the higher arc.

Has anyone else tried the free videos, or purchased his video tape?

Anyway, the below article highlights something about a possible reason for Tim's flat FT shooting form that I have never seen mentionned before.

-------------------------------------
By TOM BORRELLI
Sports writer, Buffalo (NY) News

2/29/2004

Biff, bang, clang, ching. No, that's not the sound of silverware hitting the linoleum floor or the beginning of a Batman episode.

It's the sound of professional basketball players flinging, not necessarily shooting, foul shots. Is anything more frustrating than watching the world's highest-paid athletes miss free throws?

Earlier this month, the 24 best of the best combined to miss half their 32 free throws at the NBA All-Star Game in Los Angeles' Staples Center. Talk about some foul foul shooting.

If you think you're alone in your frustrations, think again.

"It's maddening for me to watch, certainly," shooting coach Tom Nordland said by phone from his home in Boulder Creek, Calif. "I see what is happening. The biggest problem is they're stopping their bodies and using all or mostly arms, wrists and hands. The majority of the pro players just don't use their legs at the line and that's where they make the shot more difficult.

"If all you use are the wrist and the hand, you produce a flat shot. But if you employ the leg muscles it's an easier motion, and those bigger muscles create a higher-angled and more effortless shot. The result is a smoother motion and a softer shot."

Sounds simple enough. If a 64-year-old who barely got off the bench during his playing days at Stanford can figure it out, why can't Shaquille O'Neal? Or Tim Duncan? Or one of the coaches?

"It might be because the coaching they've had over the years hasn't made a difference and they've stopped looking for help from that source," said Nordland, whose Web site, www.swish22.com, is a bricklayer's paradise. He has a highly acclaimed shooting video called "Swish" and also has written many articles on shooting, which are available on his Web site.

"They're doing the best they can with the understandings they have of shooting. My guess is they don't realize there's another way to shoot," he added.

Some of them do.

Nordland, who averaged 28 points per game and made 19 of 20 foul shots in a state title game as a Minnesota schoolboy, has worked with several NBA players, including Portland's Dale Davis, Golden State's Erick Dampier, Minnesota's Mark Madsen, New Jersey's Jason Collins, Utah's Jarron Collins and ex-Jazz forward Adam Keefe.

Nordland seems most proud of the work he did with Davis, who went from a 46.5 percent foul shooter in 1997-98 to 68.5 percent two seasons later, with the Indiana Pacers.

"Dale made a very quick improvement with me," said Nordland. "He even got to 72 percent that winter and was chosen to the All-Star team for the first time in his nine-year career. He later told me he wanted to get up to 85 percent, but he hasn't used me since and he's been deteriorating." (Davis was back at 60.2 percent at the All-Star break.)

So why aren't guys such as O'Neal - who once went 0 for 11 at the line in a game - and Duncan beating a path to this guy's door for help?

"Maybe they think that because you're some old guy, "Who the heck are you?'" said Nordland, who also has worked with WNBA players and many kids to improve shooting technique. "But if they knew what I could do for them, they'd have their agents at my doorstep asking for help."

Nordland dismisses the notion that this nation's foul shooting woes are mental, as many broadcasters often suggest when Shaq nearly brings down the backboard with one of his misses.

"A lot of American guys think that it's all mental, but I don't believe that," said Nordland. "They've been doing the same thing over and over on their shot, but their technique is simply flawed. That will eventually get to you, even if you get hot and enjoy a few stretches of success from time to time. Once you understand proper technique you learn like crazy, confidence will rise and the shot becomes easy."

Europeans such as Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, whom Nordland says has great form, are doing a better job mastering proper technique than Americans. Is it because they spend more time working from the foul line than hoisting three-pointers or trying to tear down a rim with a dunk?

"I watched the World Championships and I'd say about 30 percent of the European guys had learned great form, compared to maybe 10 percent for Americans," Nordland said. "The European players aren't necessarily better coached, but shooting is more important to them and they work harder at it, thus more of them figure it out. Not long ago, I worked with a Belgian coach who had heard of me and I blew his mind with the simplicity and consistency of my method."

Nowitzki, who is 7-foot, is an 85 percent career foul shooter. At 6-11, Buffalo native Bob Lanier shot between 68.4 and 81.8 percent every season during his 14-year career.

Still, for generations casual basketball fans have equated size with free-throw problems, largely because of 7-1 Wilt Chamberlain and 6-10 Bill Russell, who were two of the worst in NBA history.

Russell shot 56.1 percent in his career, which looks superb compared to the Dipper's 51.1.

Chamberlain appeared indifferent at times, standing 3 feet behind the foul line, especially late in his career. His attitude was in marked contrast to the Lakers' Karl Malone, who shot just 48.1 percent as a rookie with Utah in 1985-86 but worked hard and went on to become a 74.2 percent career shooter.

Chamberlain was a member of the NBA's three worst foul-shooting teams ever, and when they played together in the late 1960s, Chamberlain and Russell combined to force the NBA's overall free-throw percentage down nearly four points because they lived, or more accurately died, at the line so frequently. Together, they combined to miss 8,271 career free throws.

But don't try selling Nordland that big men have it tougher at the foul line.

"Tim Duncan (a 7-footer shooting 58.7 percent from the line at the All-Star break) is an incredible athlete, but it's easy to see what's not working," Nordland said. "He stops his body and powers his free throws with only the upper body in a flat motion, then wonders why he doesn't make them. One theory I have is that he shoots too many bank shots, which require a "flippy' wrist motion. If that's all he practices, he's simply training himself to have a flat shot.

"A big part of it is technique. Learning to maximize big muscles and minimize variables. I respect the great talent and skill the NBA players have and would love to coach them. Maybe some day they'll get it."

Then again, maybe that's the biggest fantasy of all.

Link: http://www.swish22.com/borrelli.html

Phenomanul
11-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Tony, Rasho, and Bowen need this too....