PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Blunder Team (preferably post-season)

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-14-2007, 09:16 PM
And before people get their boxers stuck in their ass, this is just a funny thread.

Owner, Daniel Snyder
President and GM, Matt Millen
Asst. to the GM, Charlie Casserly
Head Coach, Marty Schottenheimer
QB, Neil O'Donnell
RB, Ernest Byner
TE, Jackie Smith
DT, Leon Lett
FS, Eugene Robinson
PK, Scott Norwood
Holder, Tony Romo

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Jackie Smith

Garo Yepremian

ShoogarBear
01-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Leon Lett, except they won the game anyway.

How can you not have Craig Morton at QB?

NBA Junkie
01-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Scott Norwood
Leon Lett

Those four Viking teams that got to the Super Bowl and got spanked each time.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Leon Lett, except they won the game anyway.

How can you not have Craig Morton at QB?

Forgot I had added Lett in the other thread...and if more people think Morton should replace O'Donnell's Super Bowl giftwrap, he gets replaced.

FromWayDowntown
01-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Marty's teams have never blown a 32 point 2nd half lead to a team playing its backup QB.

I'm just saying.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Marty's teams have never blown a 32 point 2nd half lead to a team playing its backup QB.

I'm just saying.

True, but Marty's teams never had that opportunity to pull that off.

01-14-2007, 09:25 PM
That long snapper from the Giants.

Eugene Robinson (my favorite)

01-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Oh, I almost forgot Danielson and his 5 INTs in '82. The Lions lost 24-23 in Candlestick. Thanks Gary.

NBA Junkie
01-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Didn't Eddie Murray miss a makable Fg that would have won that game?

01-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Yep, a 43 yarder. The 49ers wouldn't have even been in that game if it wasn't for Gary's INTs.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Scott Norwood missed a 47 yard field goal and he's on the list? I remember Lin Elliott missing three kicks from closer than that in a game his team lost 10-7.

shelshor
01-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Scott Norwood
Leon Lett

Those four Viking teams that got to the Super Bowl and got spanked each time.
And the Buffalo Bills that lost 4 Super Bowls in a row

And add the referee crew fron Super Bowl XL

kskonn
01-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Well since we are talking kickers how about Mike Vanderjagt against the steelers last year, and the dramatic words "he missed it" coming of of Mannings lips.

johngateswhiteley
01-15-2007, 11:57 AM
gotta be the oilers blowing the biggest half time post-season lead. i don't think i'll ever get over that loss....i was hoping for the oilers to go to the super bowl and bitch slap the cowboys...(sigh).

johnsmith
01-15-2007, 12:18 PM
gotta be the oilers blowing the biggest half time post-season lead. i don't think i'll ever get over that loss....i was hoping for the oilers to go to the super bowl and bitch slap the cowboys...(sigh).

The season before that they got smoked by a John Elway led 4th Quarter comeback. Remember that one?

NBA Junkie
01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Scott Norwood missed a 47 yard field goal and he's on the list? I remember Lin Elliott missing three kicks from closer than that in a game his team lost 10-7.

The difference is that Norwood's kick wins the Super Bowl. It's not like he was kicking it in some cold climate- It was Tampa Florida.

johngateswhiteley
01-15-2007, 01:16 PM
The difference is that Norwood's kick wins the Super Bowl. It's not like he was kicking it in some cold climate- It was Tampa Florida.

...i don't think you can fault a kicker for missing a 47 yarder.

johnsmith
01-15-2007, 01:22 PM
How about Gary Anderson missing his first field goal of the season in the Minnesota vs. Atlanta NFC Championship game in 1998.

Vikings were 14-2 that year (Moss rookie year I believe) and were going to challenge the Broncos in the Super Bowl "for sure". Anderson misses the "nail in the coffin" 38 yarder and the Falcons march down the field and score the game tying touchdown. Goes into overtime and the Falcons win.

They then get their asses handed to them in John Elway's last football game..........of which he wins SuperBowl MVP.

johnsmith
01-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Actually, I think the Vikes were 15-1 that year now that I'm thinking about it.

NBA Junkie
01-15-2007, 01:26 PM
How about Gary Anderson missing his first field goal of the season in the Minnesota vs. Atlanta NFC Championship game in 1998.

Vikings were 14-2 that year (Moss rookie year I believe) and were going to challenge the Broncos in the Super Bowl "for sure". Anderson misses the "nail in the coffin" 38 yarder and the Falcons march down the field and score the game tying touchdown. Goes into overtime and the Falcons win.

They then get their asses handed to them in John Elway's last football game..........of which he wins SuperBowl MVP.

I prefer to block that one from my memory :depressed

johnsmith
01-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I prefer to block that one from my memory :depressed

That would have been such an entertaining super bowl too. Don't get me wrong though, being a Broncos fan, I was much happier playing a mediocre Atlanta team that had no business being in that game.

johnsmith
01-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Speaking of that game, add Eugene Robinson as the starting CB on the all time blunder team. I'll let Wikipedia do the explaining as they can do it better then I:

On the morning before the Super Bowl, he was awarded the Bart Starr Award for his "high moral character". However, that very night he was arrested for offering a female undercover police officer posing as a prostitute $40 for oral sex. The next day in Super Bowl XXXIII, Robinson blew his coverage on Broncos receiver Rod Smith, allowing Smith to get behind him, catch a pass from Elway, and take it 80 yards to the end zone for a touchdown, giving the Broncos a 17-3 lead over the Falcons. Later, in the fourth quarter, he missed a tackle on Denver running back Terrell Davis that enabled Davis to break off a long run inside the Atlanta 10 yard line. Atlanta ended up losing the game 34-19, and Robinson was widely denounced by the press and fans for the previous night's incident.

Priceless.

FromWayDowntown
01-15-2007, 01:30 PM
I agree that Norwood gets too much grief for that miss. I'm not sure that Norwood made a kick from that distance on grass in his career, so expecting him to make that field goal wasn't realistic. That may suggest that Norwood shouldn't have been a kicker in the NFL, but he was what he was -- saying he should have done something that he had never done before and that he's a goat for not having done that is pretty harsh.

I also don't think there's much to support a comparison of the Bills and the Vikings. The Vikings got absolutely crushed in their Super Bowl appearances. You can count their total Super Bowl offensive touchdowns on one hand. The Bills weren't competitive in their 2nd and 3rd appearances, but they were painfully close to winning XXV and were in the game in XXVIII into the 4th Quarter, which the Vikings never really were in any of their games.

As for a blunder, you could argue that Cliff Harris made a monsterous blunder in Super Bowl X by mocking Roy Gerela, patting him on the head. Jack Lambert decided right then and there that the Steelers weren't losing and that moment seemed to galvanize that team that day.

NBA Junkie
01-15-2007, 01:30 PM
That would have been such an entertaining super bowl too. Don't get me wrong though, being a Broncos fan, I was much happier playing a mediocre Atlanta team that had no business being in that game.

Broncos would have won the Super Bowl anyway. They had the more balanced offensive attack. The Vikings were mainly a big play offense, and Atlanta took that away from them in that NFC Championship game.

Dennis Green and Randall Cunningham were notorious postseason failures, and they certainly didn't disappoint their critics

NBA Junkie
01-15-2007, 01:43 PM
You could easily place Tony Dungy amongst those list of coaches.

Tampa with the same roster did win the Super Bowl the year after he left. Undoubtedly an indictment against him.

Throw Dan Reeves in there as well. Bud Grant too.

johnsmith
01-15-2007, 01:46 PM
You could easily place Tony Dungy amongst those list of coaches.

Tampa with the same roster did win the Super Bowl the year after he left. Undoubtedly an indictment against him.

Throw Dan Reeves in there as well. Bud Grant too.

Marv Levy?

NBA Junkie
01-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Definitely. The point being is that there are coaches other than Schottenheimer that didn't coach teams to Super Bowl victories.

Schottenheimer, Green, and Dungy are worse because they haven't even gotten teams there.

It'll be interesting to see if Dungy can get that monkey off his back on Sunday.

BUMP
01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
if your a Cowboy fan and you dont think of Jackie Smith, then youre not a Cowboy fan

midgetonadonkey
01-16-2007, 03:20 AM

I'm just saying.

God damn you.

Fillmoe
01-16-2007, 03:46 AM
the ny giants blowing like a 30 pnt lead to the niners a few years back

RonMexico
01-16-2007, 05:34 AM
if your a Cowboy fan and you dont think of Jackie Smith, then youre not a Cowboy fan

Don't forget he was "Former Cardinal Great" Jackie Smith... he probably absorbed the mediocrity of the franchise and that bad luck came out at the worst possible moment - wide open in the endzone.

BradLohaus
01-16-2007, 04:47 PM
S Marlon McCree

From Wikipedia: "McCree's interception came on 4th down, so he and the Chargers would have been better had he simply knocked the ball to the ground. Even had he not fumbled the ball, the Chargers would have gotten worse field position than had he simply knocked the ball down. Most high school athletes are taught never to intercept a pass on 4th down."

BradLohaus
01-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Also, Scott Norwood catches way too much shit for his 47 yd. miss. Vanderjagt's miss was from 45 I think, and it was clearly nerves that caused such a shank. Norwood simply barely missed a 47 yd FG. People who really follow football have to think that Vanderjagt's miss is worse than Norwood's, just like baseball people know that Buckner catches wayyyyyyyyyyy too much shit for his error and the wild pitch/passed ball right before it that tied the game (Calvin Shiraldi? and Rich Gedman) is really to blame. Vanderjagt has to be the kicker in this team.