PDA

View Full Version : Beno Better Passer Than Tony?

Notorious H.O.P.
11-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Found this on SI.com. It's interesting to think if it played a significant role in Holt's mini-holdout.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/chris_ballard/11/08/blog/index.html

"Barring a serious injury, the Spurs will win the NBA title. This was already a good team, but with the additions of Brent Barry and Beno Udrih, San Antonio is much better. Who is Beno (rhymes with Drain-O) Udrih, you ask? (Or maybe you don't, but I'll tell you anyway.) He could end up being the steal of the draft, a 6-foot-3 Slovenian point guard the Spurs selected with the 28th pick. Steady, solid and constantly moving without the ball, he's a perfect complement to the team, and already a better passer than Tony Parker.

Against the Lakers, Udrih made a beautiful backdoor feed and an equally impressive backdoor cut. Spurs players are already raving about how he gets them the ball where they like it and, according to one source, part of the reason the team hesitated to sign Parker to an extension was the play of Udrih in training camp."

How in the world could the Spurs have seen Beno enough (considering his summer league and preseason injuries) to consider the idea that he would replace Tony? During the Laker game, he looked good. During the Sonic game, he looked like any other rookie or NBDL callup lost on the court. The Spurs are high on Beno, but I think this columnist or his source is high if they think the Parker decision came down to anything but cold hard cash. Even at this contract level, if Parker shows any improvement, he can be a valuable trade asset. The Spurs would have been idiots to risk losing Tony over Beno's potential.

ducks
11-09-2004, 09:52 AM
dude he went against the second sting against the lakers for most of the 2 quarter
he got confident out there then and it carried over the rest of THAT game

beno is good and will be better then speedy and hart
but give him 19 games atleast

Brodels
11-09-2004, 09:56 AM
I think it's possible. At the very least, he's more of a pure point guard than Tony. Tony is the better scorer for sure, but Beno will quite possibly become a better floor leader.

Parker still has much more upside though. Beno isn't as quick as Parker and he's never going to be super athletic. Beno will thrive if he continues to improve as a floor leader. I can't imagine how he'll ever be as good as Tony, but it's reasonable to think he could possibly become a starter somewhere down the road.

Maybe Beno's presence didn't directly influence Holt to tighten the purse strings, but it could very well have had some impact. With Beno looking solid during preseason, at least the Spurs knew that they had a possible replacement if Tony decided to leave next summer.

If Tony would have left, the Spurs would have had to spend some money somehow to come up with a point guard. I think the Spurs were hoping that if Tony didn't re-sign, Beno could do an adequate job for a few seasons at a very cheap rate. The Spurs couldn't have been sure that Beno would have panned out, but in a sense, it's possible that he was a factor.

You've got to consider what you have on the roster when making decisions like the one Holt made to pay Parker.

fonzy16
11-09-2004, 11:31 AM
well from what i know beno and seen him play here in europe, i'd say that he maybe cannot develop in a scorer like parkers is, but i'd bet he is much better shoter then parker. it's the old yugo-balkan basketball school player.

Slomo
11-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Could we please give the guy a little time to show us what he is capable of?

At this point he is a rookie who has played a total of 23 minutes in the NBA (I was kinda surprised it was that much :) ) and all these speculations do not do him or us any good!

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't think there's really any doubt that Beno is the superior passer. I don't think that makes him the superior player, or even the superior point guard, but I find a great deal of solace in the idea that the Spurs actually have some guys who can distribute the ball and find shots for others. Beno and Barry really make that second unit a fascinating group to watch, and when they play with Manu, that group may be as exciting as any group in the NBA.

Just from what I've seen, Beno is comparable to Jason Williams, with the added bonus of some discipline. That's promising.