PDA

View Full Version : An Example that the Spurs might do well to profit from

pad300
01-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Cuban has more money than he knows what to do with - witness him still paying M. Finley $17 million or so per season. However, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sooner or later.

http://www.truehoop.com/dallas-mavericks-69249-the-free-throw-banker-of-dallas.html

As a team, the Spurs should get someone to do this job & give said coach enough authority to make the players pay attention - ie. the ability to fine players and give out windsprints...

As a team, the Spurs are pitiful freethrow shooters. And it COSTS the team. Consider the Dallas series last year -
Game 3 SA 22 of 32 - 68.8%, DAL 39 of 50 - 78%. DAL win by 1 pt. If SA can raise FT% to 24 of 32 - 75%, they win the game and the series in 6
Game 4 SA 24 of 28 - 85.7%, DAL 28 of 32 - 87.5. (percentages at the end of regular time). Tied at the end of regulation. If SA can raise FT% to 25 of 28 - 89.3%, they win the game in regulation and win the series in 6.
Game 7 SA 30 of 36 - 83.3%, DAL 21 of 23 - 91.3%. (percentages at the end of regular time). Tied at the end of regulation. If SA can raise FT% to 31 of 36 - 86.1%, they win the game in regulation and win the series in 7.

Even a 5% increase in FT% would likely win SA that series & I suspect another ring.

Budkin
01-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Yes, the Spurs poor freethrow shooting is almost too painful to think about. If we could shoot them like Dallas or Phoenix we would pretty much be unstoppable. Oh well, all you can do is hope they improve.

exstatic
01-15-2007, 12:28 PM
They have a shooting coach, dumbass. His name is Chip Engelland.

exstatic
01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Oh, and they're shooting .744 this year as compared to .702 last year.

pad300
01-15-2007, 12:39 PM
They have a shooting coach, dumbass. His name is Chip Engelland.

Indeed, Chip Engelland is the shooting coach. Dallas has a shooting coach as well as an FT coach. It is also known that several spurs (Duncan in particular) do not go to him for help with their FTs. This lack of proffesionalism could be improved upon.

Although I will not stoop to your level of namecalling, I would suggest paying more attention to the team will result in your generating less garbage for the rest of us to wade through.

Felonius Monk
01-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Spurs not named Tim Duncan are shooting almost 80%.

Solid D
01-15-2007, 12:52 PM
I think Pop could solve Timmy's FT problem by taking the "string" away from him...

...you know, that string that Timmy keeps pulling on his FTs when he hits the front iron?

exstatic
01-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Indeed, Chip Engelland is the shooting coach. Dallas has a shooting coach as well as an FT coach. It is also known that several spurs (Duncan in particular) do not go to him for help with their FTs. This lack of proffesionalism could be improved upon.

Although I will not stoop to your level of namecalling, I would suggest paying more attention to the team will result in your generating less garbage for the rest of us to wade through.
"Attention to detail" on your part would show that the Spurs have improved 4% points as a team, with "only" one shooting coach. Do your research before you post this stupid shit. Oh, and "making" a player go to a coach isn't likely to solve a problem, especially not your franchise player. When they're ready, they'll accept the coaching.

Cuban isn't God. At one point, he had like 15 assistant coaches on his payroll. Should we do that, too?

boutons_
01-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Spurs 22nd in FTs @ 0.744.

NBA 1st place @ 0.813 (Suns)

======

Spurs all: 672/903

Spurs w/o TD: 502/628 = 0.798 (tied for NBA 4th)

Solid D
01-15-2007, 12:59 PM

NBA 1st place @ 0.813 (Suns)

======

Spurs all: 672/903

Spurs w/o TD: 502/628 = 0.798 (tied for NBA 4th)

So, don't post Timmy up so much. Lift him high, like they did against the Wiz when they realized posting him low-block allowed their 17 point lead to drop down to 6 points. Save "4-down" for smaller time slices.

exstatic
01-15-2007, 01:04 PM
See? They've moved up 7-8 places!!

MrChug
01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
See? They've moved up 7-8 places!!

Just what we need, a "glass is half full" kinda fan!! :toast

T Park
01-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Hire a shooting coach.

They do.

HIRE ANOTHER COACH.

WTF?!?! :lmao

exstatic
01-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Just what we need, a "glass is half full" kinda fan!! :toast
:lmao
They're never going to be a really great FT shooting team with Tim as the focus. Then again, they've won 3 NBA crowns finishing VERY low in the FT% rankings.

Tim is just never going to be a great FT shooter. Then again, he has good company.

Wilt Chamberlain .511
Shaq .528
Bill Russell .561
Tim .682
Kareem .721

If you compare him to the great pivots of all time, he stacks up pretty damn well.

wildbill2u
01-15-2007, 02:07 PM
:lmao
They're never going to be a really great FT shooting team with Tim as the focus. Then again, they've won 3 NBA crowns finishing VERY low in the FT% rankings.

Tim is just never going to be a great FT shooter. Then again, he has good company.

Wilt Chamberlain .511
Shaq .528
Bill Russell .561
Tim .682
Kareem .721

If you compare him to the great pivots of all time, he stacks up pretty damn well.
Statistics don't lie. But the effect of saying that TDs performance is OK by these standards may not take into account the crucial nature of TD's contribution on a team that usually doesn't score a lot of points because they concentrate on defense. So we need every point we can get.

Also, TD has usually been the focal point of our offense down the stretch. This wasn't true of Russell or Shaq (who was the victim of the hack-a-shack ploy in crucial situations)

With Kareem and Wilt, I'd argue that many of their missed FTs came after they'd arlready made a shot. Too many times, TD is getting blocked completely and then can't convert.

Besides, why argue that TD shouldn't have any obligation to improve.

dimsah
01-15-2007, 02:15 PM
I still haven't figured out how TD shot almost 80% from the line a few years ago.
I mean, he has some good stretches from the line, but there isn't any consistency any more.

boutons_
01-15-2007, 02:16 PM
"focal point of our offense down the stretch."

and focal point of the opp. defense,which will not necessarily punc-a-Dunc, but will not worry about fouling him in crunch time. So many Spurs possessions end no or 1 pt from Tim at the line.

TD has the obligation to improve, but hss he proved, over many years, that he simply cannot improve.

His FT fiasco is clearest indication of his lack of coordination ( that'll get some response :lol ). I assume he works hard at his FTs, so the problem is not there. It certainly has at least a huge mental component. But 1000s of practice shots help reduce the mental part as the body. Legs not flexed enough, the ball too far forward and released to far forward, he's not getting the ball up high and getting his whole body into the shot.

I begin to doubt he even has fucking clue about how to solve his FT failure.

exstatic
01-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Statistics don't lie. But the effect of saying that TDs performance is OK by these standards may not take into account the crucial nature of TD's contribution on a team that usually doesn't score a lot of points because they concentrate on defense. So we need every point we can get.

Also, TD has usually been the focal point of our offense down the stretch. This wasn't true of Russell or Shaq (who was the victim of the hack-a-shack ploy in crucial situations)

With Kareem and Wilt, I'd argue that many of their missed FTs came after they'd arlready made a shot. Too many times, TD is getting blocked completely and then can't convert.

Besides, why argue that TD shouldn't have any obligation to improve.
This is one of the most ninth-dimensional posts I've ever seen. How the fuck do you know that the old timers shot more and1s? That's just a ridiculous statement.

Tim has an "obligation" to improve? I'm sure he'd like to. If you ask Kori, he strokes them in practice, so it's not like he doesn't work on them. Think of FTs as Tim's analog to Superman and Kryptonite.

Marcus Bryant
01-15-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm more concerned about the increase in opponents' FG% than jubilant over not sucking that hard at the line.

LEONARD
01-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Every time Duncan goes to the line for 2 I think "Hell yea, there's another 1/2 turnover"... :lol

It's GOT to drive Spurs fans crazy... :bang

K-State Spur
01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Cuban has more money than he knows what to do with - witness him still paying M. Finley $17 million or so per season. However, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sooner or later.

http://www.truehoop.com/dallas-mavericks-69249-the-free-throw-banker-of-dallas.html

As a team, the Spurs should get someone to do this job & give said coach enough authority to make the players pay attention - ie. the ability to fine players and give out windsprints...

As a team, the Spurs are pitiful freethrow shooters. And it COSTS the team. Consider the Dallas series last year -
Game 3 SA 22 of 32 - 68.8%, DAL 39 of 50 - 78%. DAL win by 1 pt. If SA can raise FT% to 24 of 32 - 75%, they win the game and the series in 6
Game 4 SA 24 of 28 - 85.7%, DAL 28 of 32 - 87.5. (percentages at the end of regular time). Tied at the end of regulation. If SA can raise FT% to 25 of 28 - 89.3%, they win the game in regulation and win the series in 6.
Game 7 SA 30 of 36 - 83.3%, DAL 21 of 23 - 91.3%. (percentages at the end of regular time). Tied at the end of regulation. If SA can raise FT% to 31 of 36 - 86.1%, they win the game in regulation and win the series in 7.

Even a 5% increase in FT% would likely win SA that series & I suspect another ring.

Are you really complaining about their FT shooting in 2 games in which they shot above 83% from the line?

pad300
01-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Are you really complaining about their FT shooting in 2 games in which they shot above 83% from the line?

I know highschool teams that are expected to shoot 80+ from the line (as a team) every game. Those kids aren't getting paid millions. The coach will chew them out and demand extra free throw practice if they don't. As said gentleman would put it "They're called FREE throws for a reason! They're FREE points! NOW GO DO IT RIGHT!"

mabber
01-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Every time Duncan goes to the line for 2 I think "Hell yea, there's another 1/2 turnover"... :lol

It's the same with Dampier but at least he doesn't go to the line nearly as much as Duncan. I call Dampier...Mr. One for Two.

exstatic
01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Hack a Dunc really isn't an effective strategy. That only works if their FT% is LOWER than their FG%, like Shaq. Tim's 62% FTs are better than his 55% FGs, so GO AHEAD. For his career it's 68% FTs and 50% FGs, not even a choice, really.

ponky
01-15-2007, 05:44 PM
imo, manu should have more touches than duncan in the fourth...he can shoot well and he knows how to get calls even if it involves a bit of flopping (part of the game) and make the free throws

exstatic
01-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Not much different from him actually putting up a FGA.

exstatic
01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Game 3 SA 22 of 32 - 68.8%, DAL 39 of 50 - 78%. DAL win by 1 pt.
Oh, and you can stop complaining about Miami anytime. That's the SECOND time Dallas has gotten 50 FTAs in a game in SA and got a win.

LEONARD
01-15-2007, 06:39 PM
It's the same with Dampier but at least he doesn't go to the line nearly as much as Duncan. I call Dampier...Mr. One for Two.

Yea, Damp is pretty bad on the line...61% this season while Duncan is hitting 62%...

Hack a Dunc really isn't an effective strategy. That only works if their FT% is LOWER than their FG%, like Shaq. Tim's 62% FTs are better than his 55% FGs, so GO AHEAD. For his career it's 68% FTs and 50% FGs, not even a choice, really.

I wasn't advocating hack-a-Dunc as an effective defensive strategy...but I'd still rather have him on the FT line than making easy buckets... :fro

Budkin
01-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Oh it does. Seeing him get fouled and not make the basket is painful in itself because you know he's usually only going to hit one of them... if that.