PDA

View Full Version : Router / Modem help please.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
So here's what happened...

1) Everything was hooked up fine.
2) I went on a little vacation.
3) I had guests while I was gone.
4) They hooked up my laptop directly to the modem.
5) I tried to change the wiring back, unsuccessfully.
6) I now don't have wireless. Just the LAN.

I figure it's 2 ethernet wires, with 4 places they can go. How many different combinations do you have to try before you get the right one? Well that didn't work. And Roadrunner couldn't help with it either, because the router isn't theres.

So...if somebody could please help with this I would appreciate it.

midgetonadonkey
01-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Did you try rebooting your modem?

ShoogarBear
01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Agree with rebooting. Also, make sure you have wireless enabled in your laptop settings.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Tried rebooting. Tried 'power cycling' or whatever its called. Neither of those 2 worked.

When I plug in the modem directly to the desktop it works fine. But when I hook up the router it doesn't. So I'm guessing I'm not plugging the wires in properly. I'm just not sure what goes where.

As for enabling wireless settings on the laptop...they are enabled. But under network connections and all that good stuff Wireless isn't even an option, it's just LAN. It's like I don't even have a wireless set up.

Melmart1
01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
On your start menu, hit 'run' and type in 'services.msc' and hit enter. Towards the bottom of your list, make sure you have 'windows zero configuration' on, and if it is on, turn it off then turn it back on again. If I am understanding your problem correctly, that should help.

ShoogarBear
01-15-2007, 09:10 PM
? If you don't have a wireless option under network connections, then how do you know the wireless is enabled?

E20
01-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Depending on what kind of Router you have you might have to check your settings under your Router ISP. Enter your router ISP in the address bar(96.46549.64.whatever) and you should go to the main page of your ISP provider and then you can tamper with the settins.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 09:13 PM
On the router there is usually one ethernet jack seperate from the other four or so. That's where the cable from the modem should plug in.

resistanze
01-15-2007, 09:54 PM
You could start from scratch. I dunno what brand of router you have but you could delete the Connection from 'My network Connections.' Then replug the modem. The first time you try to open your browser, your router setup page should come on (I know for Netgear and Linksys it does).

SAtown
01-15-2007, 09:59 PM
You should also try calling your router provider. This exact thing happened to me, only it was a brand new laptop that wouldn't connect wirelessly. It turned out I had to manually configure the router through the laptop in a painless process that I don't remember.

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2007, 12:57 AM
if you are setting up a wireless, install the drivers for ur laptop,

check wireless is enable on the router/modem

then for ur laptops wireless TCP/IP, type in the routers/modem IP

that should work

Please_dont_ban_me
01-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the help, guys.

I ended up calling the router people directly. After a 20 minute hold and 10 minute feel-out process he finally got it fixed. I would tell you what exactly he finally did but after the first 5 unsuccesfu attempts I stopped paying attention when the steps he told me to follow finally did work.

But thank anyways. :D