PDA

View Full Version : The Official Australian Open Thread

Spurologist
01-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Federer won't win the major. Book it.

SAtown
01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Why not? Maybe if it was the French Open you'd be able to book that.

kingsfan
01-15-2007, 05:22 PM
I don't see anyone beating Rog but I hope they do. I'm sick of him winning. I'd like to see Blake do well but he's not known for his consistency.

Spurologist
01-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Why not? Maybe if it was the French Open you'd be able to book that.

Roddick ran all over his ass in an exhibition game in straight sets in a prep game for the Australian open. His hasn't looked particulary sharp. He almost lost a set to Bjorn Phau. Who the fuck is that, you may ask. Some unknown German. Phau actually served for the first set at 5-4 but choked it away by spraying some forehands.

I just think someone else will emerge. Book it.

ponky
01-17-2007, 12:15 AM
oh cool, there is an aussie open thread

roddick's exhibition game doesn't mean anything, federer's schedule is brutal and the reason he's been fined in the past for pulling out of tourneys. i'm not saying federer will win it all, i just starting keeping track of the open today...but if roddick and federer meet in the open, roddick will most certainly go down

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Who else saw that Sharapova game last night. Now that was a classic 3rd set.

Spurologist
01-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Who else saw that Sharapova game last night. Now that was a classic 3rd set.

:lol

Sharapova was up 5-0 in the final set and proceeded to wet her dress by allowing Pin to rally back into the game. Sharapova was whining about the heat. Sure it was hot. It was like 110 degrees but her opponent looked as fresh as a daisy.

But props to Maria. She got the W.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 12:36 AM
:lol

Sharapova was up 5-0 in the final set and proceeded to wet her dress by allowing Pin to rally back into the game. Sharapova was whining about the heat. Sure it was hot. It was like 110 degrees but her opponent looked as fresh as a daisy.

But props to Maria. She got the W.
I thought Sharapova was gonna pass out. She looked almost dead out there. But as soon as she started hitting them shots down the line you could see her opponent just give up. She must have been near death also. Great match between both of them.

ponky
01-17-2007, 01:15 AM
I thought Sharapova was gonna pass out. She looked almost dead out there. But as soon as she started hitting them shots down the line you could see her opponent just give up. She must have been near death also. Great match between both of them.

Federer was talking about the heat and saying that it was no big deal...and the guy's from Switzerland! Anyway, he said he trains in Dubai where it's like over 110 degrees easily, probably helps him acclimate for the Aussie Open and also the U.S. Open. I've been to the U.S. Open a couple of times and if it's hot in the seats, I can't imagine what it's like out on the court...but it's well worth it!

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Federer was talking about the heat and saying that it was no big deal...and the guy's from Switzerland! Anyway, he said he trains in Dubai where it's like over 110 degrees easily, probably helps him acclimate for the Aussie Open and also the U.S. Open. I've been to the U.S. Open a couple of times and if it's hot in the seats, I can't imagine what it's like out on the court...but it's well worth it!
Dubai ain't no joke, smart move for him. 2 of the majors are in the heat, good way to get ready. But I also think he's not from this planet. The U.S. Open does sound like it would be a blast. Must be a party all month.

ponky
01-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Dubai ain't no joke, smart move for him. 2 of the majors are in the heat, good way to get ready. But I also think he's not from this planet. The U.S. Open does sound like it would be a blast. Must be a party all month.

It is! You know what's cool about it? It's the only sporting event I've ever been to (and I've been all over the world to sporting events) where you can just walk on down to the lower level seats if the place is not filled up. Of course when it's Federer/Roddick you won't find a seat anyway and you can't get down there, but probably 75% of the matches the ushers won't even glance at you. I saw Navratilova a couple of years back playing mixed doubles in second row seats, midcourt!

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 02:07 AM
It is! You know what's cool about it? It's the only sporting event I've ever been to (and I've been all over the world to sporting events) where you can just walk on down to the lower level seats if the place is not filled up. Of course when it's Federer/Roddick you won't find a seat anyway and you can't get down there, but probably 75% of the matches the ushers won't even glance at you. I saw Navratilova a couple of years back playing mixed doubles in second row seats, midcourt!
Nice sounds like fun. Sounds like me at the Clipper games :lol . I'm definitely gonna have to go one of these days. I hope Hingis is still playing when I go.

ponky
01-17-2007, 06:09 AM
wow, did anyone catch the safin/sela match? sela, an unseeded unknown guy from israel, was two points from winning the entire match which would've been a big upset when it started to drizzle and safin asked the ump about closing the retractable roof which takes 15 minutes...guess that was enough time for safin to rest up, come back, get his two points to send the match into a fifth set and then win it...sela must be pissed, haha

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2007, 08:44 AM
the bagditas and morpheus match, alot of high lights, and dude has one heck of a wingspan

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 12:47 PM
wow, did anyone catch the safin/sela match? sela, an unseeded unknown guy from isreal, was two points from winning the entire match which would've been a big upset when it started to drizzle and safin asked the ump about closing the retractable roof which takes 15 minutes...guess that was enough time for safin to rest up, come back, get his two points to send the match into a fifth set and then win it...sela must be pissed, haha
Yeah I saw that match good move from Safin, he knew he was on his way out. Caught his breath and came back strong.

SAtown
01-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I just finished watching the Safin/Roddick match. It was great, and I honestly thought Safin was going to win before the match started, but Roddick wins 3 - 1 sets

ponky
01-20-2007, 12:56 AM
I just finished watching the Safin/Roddick match. It was great, and I honestly thought Safin was going to win before the match started, but Roddick wins 3 - 1 sets

i missed it but it looks like safin went apeshit about the moisture on the court, i wonder if they'll replay it tonight. i like watching the matches live late at night when nothing else is on

SoCal Lakeshow
01-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Very good match going on right now between Federer and Djokovic. 5-5 in the second set. Federer won the first set.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Nevermind Federer is to good. Wins the second then dominates the third set.

kingsfan
01-21-2007, 10:32 AM
I liked the Ginepru/Blake match. There were some grest points but Robbi just couldn't pull it out. Blake was too good. You can tell his confidence is way up and that will make him hard to beat. Roddick hasn't looked as good as I thought he would but Connors has done wonders with him.
I haven't had the pleasure of going to Australia but I did spend a lot of time at Wimbledon and for tennis fans there's nothing like going to a Grand Slam, it looks totally different in person.

Spurologist
01-21-2007, 08:14 PM
The Roddick/Ancic match was incredible. Ancic and ARod's game are very similar but Roddick is almost better at everything. Roddick forehand was on point was finally able to pull through to get the break in the 5th set.

I did have my doubts when Ancic battle to put the game to a 5th set because Roddick is something like 1-8 in 5th set matches against top 10 players.

Props to Roddick. He should breeze through American M Fish in the quarters and face Fed in the Semis.

ARod will win the Aussie OPEN

SoCal Lakeshow
01-22-2007, 01:12 AM
And Blake is out in straight sets. :downspin:

SoCal Lakeshow
01-22-2007, 01:19 AM
And Martina is on to the round of 8 :clap :clap

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070122/capt.mel11701220241.australia_tennis_open_mel117.j pg

SAtown
01-23-2007, 03:51 AM
Well, so far Federer hasn't even lost a set (12-0), and he's playing Robredo (Spain) right now on ESPN2. This should be a good indication of whether or not he will possibly win this tournament.

I remember hearing some tennis analyst say that the difference between the #1 seeded Federer and the #2 seeded Nadal is much greater than the difference between #2 and #150. Something ridiculous like that. Too bad I don't know who to quote on that, someone on CBS I believe.

One this is for certain though, he plays almost flawlessly.

zech
01-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Federer will lose to Roddick In The Semis,and Nadal Will beat roddick in the final,nadal and federer will dominate this year again,the grand slams will be shared between the two but roddick will win one of them,i think the US OPEN.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Federer is not losing it this year. He's way to good. Much much better than everybody else. And no way Roddick is beating Federer.

Spurologist
01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Federer is not losing it this year. He's way to good. Much much better than everybody else. And no way Roddick is beating Federer.

Roddick in Four Sets.

MajorMike
01-23-2007, 03:46 PM
You just like fuzzy balls.

SAtown
01-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Roddick in Four Sets.

Since '05, Federer is 114-3 on hard court.

kingsfan
01-24-2007, 12:55 AM
I think Roddick can beat Federer, he's playing very well and Rog will need to bring his A game. If Rog gets to the final, the trophy's his, he doesn't lose finals very often.
Good to see Serena back on form, great match with Peer http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif

SoCal Lakeshow
01-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Roddick in Four Sets.
Roddick is good, but not that good. Federer will run over him.

SAtown
01-24-2007, 06:23 PM
We have some good tennis to look forward to tonight (for those nocturnal types). I'm calling Federer over Roddick 3-1 sets.

On the women's side, I've got the Bird over Clijsters (sp?) 2-1 sets.

Spurologist
01-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Damn Serena is running all over the 17 year old. 7-6, 5-1.

Serena is officially back

SAtown
01-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Damn Serena is running all over the 17 year old. 7-6, 5-1.

Serena is officially back

Serena Williams is a beast. Seriously, not at all putting her down (cuz she's got a great build) but damn, I'd be scared if I was playing against her.

ponky
01-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Serena Williams is a beast. Seriously, not at all putting her down (cuz she's got a great build) but damn, I'd be scared if I was playing against her.

haha, she does have a great build, she's ath-a-letic as hell! federer will beat roddick, no problem at all there. i was really hoping clijsters would make it but it's not to be, i don't think...i wanna see serena go all crazy on sharapove, make those screams mean something for once, i can't stand that ridiculous cawing

SAtown
01-25-2007, 01:42 AM
i wanna see serena go all crazy on sharapove, make those screams mean something for once, i can't stand that ridiculous cawing

haha, man I can't stand that cawing either. Playing tennis all my life, I know it's a "thing" players have to make a noise when they hit the ball. I didn't understand Seles, and I don't understand Sharapova. I know it shouldn't bother me, but something about it just gets under my skin. :p:

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2007, 02:04 AM

isnt she aggressive like mike tyson :D

SAtown
01-25-2007, 02:34 AM
isnt she aggressive like mike tyson :D

Not to mention Mike Tyson's latest proposal is to fight women :frying:

SoCal Lakeshow
01-25-2007, 04:06 AM
It's live. 3-3 first set good start by Roddick.

SAtown
01-25-2007, 04:34 AM
It's live. 3-3 first set good start by Roddick.

Federer over Roddick in 2nd set so far:

6-4, 2-0

It's still early in the match, and Federer is much more than a pleasure to watch. He's so dominant almost like how Jordan was in his good days. Except, Federer is just something else. I guess it's his backhand; notice how the opponent (it doesn't matter who it is) always tries to hit it to Roger's backhand. But why? Federer seems like he controls his shots a lot more with his backhand, then approaching the net. < which he's been doing a lot this tournament.

J.T.
01-25-2007, 04:50 AM
Roddick's getting smoked. I'm gonna call it a night and see how much Federer wins the 3rd set by in the morning.

SAtown
01-25-2007, 04:57 AM
There's no way Roddick is winning this match. I think he's basically conceding defeat. He's down 3-1 in the 3rd set. And damn, he lost the 2nd set 6-0. I didn't expect Roddick to lose in straight sets

Spurologist
01-25-2007, 05:12 AM
There are two worlds in tennis. There's Roger Federer's world and then there's a world for everyone else.

ponky
01-25-2007, 05:14 AM
haha, i told you it would be a federer win EASILY...roddick just cannot hang with federer when it comes to the big stage

Spurologist
01-25-2007, 05:18 AM
The sad thing is Roddick played well. To even have a chance against Federer, you first have to hope that Federer makes a lot errors. THEN, you need to be on Top of your game: consistent serving, clean tennis, shorter points, some serve and volley.......

THEN you need to pray. Maybe then you have a shot.

SAtown
01-25-2007, 05:24 AM
I'm glad I get to watch Federer during my lifetime. I always hear about the 'greats' of every major sport (especially sports that I love), but it's nice to hear tennis experts call Federer the "Best Ever." I've played tennis regularly for about 12 years or so, and I enjoy it so fucking much it's unexplainable. To watch someone who plays it like a master is ridiculous; he makes it look so easy

Spurologist
01-25-2007, 05:28 AM
Damn. Federer is too good. I have never seen an athlete since Michael Jordan able to take away your heart, your fight, and your will power.

Roddick probably played his best tennis ever under coach Jimmy Conners in the Aussie Open. That's why I predicted a win four sets. Yea I was wrong big time. lol

He crushed Safin and anahilated M Fish. You have to be full of confidence, right? Then you play Federer and he blows you off the court with a precision shots: passings shots, movement, grace, athleticism, serve, slice. It's almost like all Roddick did up to that point was for shit. Just simply unbelievable.

Federer is the best EVER tennis player and is clearly up there with the greatest athletes EVER. Federer vs. Sampras would have been the ultimate matchup. History robbed us

ponky
01-25-2007, 05:40 AM
I'm glad I get to watch Federer during my lifetime. I always hear about the 'greats' of every major sport (especially sports that I love), but it's nice to hear tennis experts call Federer the "Best Ever." I've played tennis regularly for about 12 years or so, and I enjoy it so fucking much it's unexplainable. To watch someone who plays it like a master is ridiculous; he makes it look so easy

yeah that is something to be thankful for...i have seen agassi, navratilova and federer at the u.s. open and at the french open in person but even on tv it's still pretty aweseome.

ponky
01-25-2007, 05:42 AM
The sad thing is Roddick played well. To even have a chance against Federer, you first have to hope that Federer makes a lot errors. THEN, you need to be on Top of your game: consistent serving, clean tennis, shorter points, some serve and volley.......

THEN you need to pray. Maybe then you have a shot.

i wouldn't necessarily say roddick played very well, he played alright but he's capable of much more, especially when it comes to his serve which was not on today, he only had four aces!!! two in the first set, one apiece in the next two sets. he needs some serious work on volleying but if his serve is not on fire like it usually is, he's screwed, especially against *perfection*

Spurologist
01-25-2007, 05:52 AM
i wouldn't necessarily say roddick played very well, he played alright but he's capable of much more, especially when it comes to his serve which was not on today. he needs some serious work on volleying but if his serve is not on fire like it usually is, he's screwed, especially against *perfection*

Against anyone else he serve would be perfect. Roger took 140 mph blows to the body and just blocked them back. Then the point either went to a long rally which Federer won most of the time or an unforced error from Roddick because he doesn't expect the ball to come back. His first serve percentage was 63%. It was much higher at the beginning before Federer demoralized Roddick with amazing passing shots.

True, his volleying needs to improve but first he needs to hits better shots before coming to the net. Federer was in hitting practice made hitting passing shot after passing shot. That's what really killed Roddick's spirit. 9 of 31 (29 %) will never get it done against Federer.

ponky
01-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Against anyone else he serve would be perfect. Roger took 140 mph blows to the body and just blocked them back. Then the point either went to a long rally which Federer won most of the time or an unforced error from Roddick because he doesn't expect the ball to come back. His first serve percentage was 63%. It was much higher at the beginning before Federer demoralized Roddick with amazing passing shots.

True, his volleying needs to improve but first he needs to hits better shots before coming to the net. Federer was in hitting practice made hitting passing shot after passing shot. That's what really killed Roddick's spirit. 9 of 31 (29 %) will never get it done against Federer.

yes, federer is definitely the best returner in the game. i didn't watch the first set and skipped over most of the second, maybe i'll watch it later. federer rarely has that many aces which was a bit surprising, he must be feeling very well rested, having not dropped a set the entire tourney. it's weird that i root for him so much, i usually can't stand guys (or girls) in tennis who dominate everything. this is why i couldn't stand hingis, seles and sampras back in the day but for some reason federer is so much fun to watch and he seems like a likeable guy. haha, my bf and i have this bet going because he doesn't think federer will surpass sampras' titles and i say he will EASILY surpass them if he doesn't retire before the age of 30. it's too bad nadal had some leg ailments, he's the only guy who seems to play federer rather decently.

MajorMike
01-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Punk'd

SoCal Lakeshow
01-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I saw the whole match and it was an ass kicking by Federer. Everytime Roddick attacked the net he got a fastball at his feet. The first set was actually good and the second set was a clinic, I recommend watching it. He's so much better it's laughable. I feel sorry for the rest of the tennis players.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-25-2007, 12:48 PM
it's too bad nadal had some leg ailments, he's the only guy who seems to play federer rather decently.
Did you see Gonzalez play against Nadal. He beat him up pretty bad. I think he'll make Federer work in this match. I don't see him winning, but I see it being good. Yeah too bad about Nadal, but he's still great on clay.

SAtown
01-25-2007, 04:12 PM
I just watched a little bit of the rerun of the Federer match during my break. It's silly how well he played against Roddick, especially since Roddick has one of the most powerful (if not THE most powerful) serve in the game.

Mavs<Spurs
01-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Props to both you, ponky, and Spurologist.
Props to Ponky for being right.
Props to Spurologist for manning up.

People who read this part regularly have seen me post repeatedly that Nadal is the best on clay, but only a top five guy on other surfaces.
I predicted that he would not get to the semis.

Nadal is an incredible athlete and in amazing shape. He defends almost as well as Federer and some say better.
But his weapons are not enough on fast courts, as evidenced by his Grand Slam results.
Remember at Wimbledon, Nadal barely beat number 200 Kendrick, beat an inconsistent up and comer in Baghdatis and an Agassi so injured that he was retiring. In other words, to get to the Finals at Wimbledon, he didn't have to beat anybody good.
The great world beating, Russian dominated Nadal at the US Open. But Federer gave Youzhny a beating.
The great world beating Chilean, Fernando Gonzalez, dominated Nadal at the Australian Open. He has lost a third of his matches since near the end of last year.
Perhaps, beating Nadal on a nonclay court surface is insufficient to conclude that you are a world beater.

Federer < Nadal on clay.
Federer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nadal on any other surface.

These Nadal apologists are going to have to come to grips with reality.
Nadal was lucky Murray is still working on his fitness. Blake would have pounded him, as he did previously.

Anybody ready to man up about their prediction that Nadal would be the man or even had a remote chance to win this year's Australian Open?

Overall, Nadal is not the second best player in the world. Clay is only one of the four main surfaces. A number of players are better than Nadal on the nonclay surfaces.

Horry For 3!
01-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Federer is bad ass, how can you go against him?

Horry For 3!
01-25-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm also glad that Sharapova is in the Finals against Serena. I like Sharapova and I hope she kicks Serena's ass.

ponky
01-26-2007, 02:14 AM
So is the match between Haas and Gonzalez going to be shown live late tonight? The insomniac in me wants to know!

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 02:17 AM
So is the match between Haas and Gonzalez going to be shown live late tonight? The insomniac in me wants to know!
There is a match at 12:30 pacific time espn. That's what I'm waiting for. It says live so I'm pretty sure it's Haas/Gonzalez.

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 02:22 AM
I just looked on my tv guide and the Haas-Gonzalez match is at 2 pm CST time.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 02:22 AM
AM. In an hour.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 02:23 AM
I've been watching all the matches at 12:30 am pacific time. That's the usual time the matches start.

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 02:24 AM
I've been watching all the matches at 12:30 am pacific time. That's the usual time the matches start.
I think you are wrong. ESPN2 shows Arm Wrestling at 2 am for me. I went further on and it says Tennis at 2 pm "Tennis" : "Australian Open, Men's Second Semifinal."

ponky
01-26-2007, 02:25 AM
There is a match at 12:30 pacific time espn. That's what I'm waiting for. It says live so I'm pretty sure it's Haas/Gonzalez.

cool, thanks! i'm so bored tonight, didn't work, played too much xbox live, tivo'ed through the game(s), mowed the lawn for 20 min. just because i was too lazy to actually do my normal hour-long workout...bring on the match, i hope it's good, i expect gonzalez to win.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 02:27 AM
I think you are wrong. ESPN2 shows Arm Wrestling at 2 am for me. I went further on and it says Tennis at 2 pm "Tennis" : "Australian Open, Men's Second Semifinal."
Regular espn

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 02:29 AM
cool, thanks! i'm so bored tonight, didn't work, played too much xbox live, tivo'ed through the game(s), mowed the lawn for 20 min. just because i was too lazy to actually do my normal hour-long workout...bring on the match, i hope it's good, i expect gonzalez to win.
NP. It should be a good one. And damn my xbox broke today. :bang

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 02:30 AM
They've been showing all the matches at 12:30 am on regular espn and then the replay during the next day on espn2.

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 03:04 AM
They've been showing all the matches at 12:30 am on regular espn and then the replay during the next day on espn2.
Ahhhh. I got you. I didn't know they played it on ESPN, i've been watching them on ESPN2 at 2 am the past couple of days. I see that it is on ESPN at 2:30 am. Awesome.

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 03:30 AM
When is the Women's Final? Saturday?

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 03:31 AM
It's about to start. I predict a Gonzalez win.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Yeah Womens is usually Saturday and mens on Sunday.

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 03:40 AM
Yeah Womens is usually Saturday and mens on Sunday.
Alright, cool.

I am watching the Gonzalez-Haas match. I think at most it'll go 4 sets with Gonzalez winning.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 03:44 AM
I think at most it'll go 4 sets with Gonzalez winning.
Yeah that sounds about right. Should be a good match.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 03:48 AM
HAHA already broke serve.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 03:49 AM
Nevermind it looks like straight sets for Gonzalez already.

SAtown
01-26-2007, 04:12 AM
Damn, i forgot this match was on. I was watching "2 for the Money" or whatever it's called (with the bookies and such). Anyways, still 1st set so it's all good.

SAtown
01-26-2007, 04:13 AM

This should be called the "Offical Insomniac's Thread." :lol

SAtown
01-26-2007, 04:19 AM
Damn, the latino side in me tells me to root for Gonzalez, but after that short clip they just showed of Haas' misfortunes these past couple of years, I'm undecided.

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 04:48 AM
Well Gonzalez is destroying Haas so far as I have imagined.

SAtown
01-26-2007, 04:51 AM
It's crazy Haas' career is determined by a tennis ball on the court during warmups. Did you see his friggin ankle???? Man, I feel really bad for the guy.

ponky
01-26-2007, 05:08 AM
terrible match but i wanted and thought gonzalez would steamroll today anyway

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:08 AM
Another ass kicking. Not as bad as yesterday, but still ugly.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:09 AM
The final should be much better. It might be a classic.

ponky
01-26-2007, 05:09 AM
This should be called the "Offical Insomniac's Thread." :lol

haha, i can always count on people to be awake here on spurstalk...i always wonder why you guys are still awake

ponky
01-26-2007, 05:11 AM
Damn, the latino side in me tells me to root for Gonzalez, but after that short clip they just showed of Haas' misfortunes these past couple of years, I'm undecided.

yeah but the germans already have dirk nowitzki, detlef schrempf, boris becker, michael schumacher and chile has...help me out here, chile has?

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:12 AM
It's 2 am here. Still late, but not to bad. In Texas it must be real late or early morning.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Yeah root for the latino.

ponky
01-26-2007, 05:13 AM
It's crazy Haas' career is determined by a tennis ball on the court during warmups. Did you see his friggin ankle???? Man, I feel really bad for the guy.

yeah i remember when that happened, tough break...that's a terrible thing but don't feel that bad, the guy is a millionaire, has a fairly attractive girl cheering him on here today and looks like he has some swell parents

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 05:14 AM
It's 2 am here. Still late, but not to bad. In Texas it must be real late or early morning.
It is 4:15 am

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:16 AM
It is 4:15 am
I wake up not to much after that. :lol

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Gonzalez wins 6-1 6-3 6-1

Domination.

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Federer vs Gonzalez

This match could be great, I have Federer winning as I did before this whole thing started.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:18 AM
He killed him. Should be a great final.

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 05:18 AM
I wake up not to much after that. :lol
I wake up.... whenever the hell I want, I don't have to work today :lol

ponky
01-26-2007, 05:21 AM
Federer will win but he won't go without losing a set in this tourney...he'll lose one to Gonzalez, probably the second or maybe the third before closing him out in the fourth. Gonzalez looks great but Haas looked plain terrible like he wasn't ready...and then he lost it mentally as well.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:21 AM
I wake up.... whenever the hell I want, I don't have to work today :lol
Not me. Oh well. Great match by Gonzalez. I'm thinking the next ones gonna be a classic. Federer should win, but it will be close.

Horry For 3!
01-26-2007, 05:22 AM
I could see it goin 5 sets but I think 4 is more logical.

ponky
01-26-2007, 05:23 AM
a huge factor in this next match will be gonzalez's mental state on the big stage. i've seen matches against federer hyped before only to have the opponent come out and fold on the big stage...if gonzalez just plays it like any other game in terms of his nerves, he'll do alright and make a match out of it

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Federer will win but he won't go without losing a set in this tourney...he'll lose one to Gonzalez, probably the second or maybe the third before closing him out in the fourth. Gonzalez looks great but Haas looked plain terrible like he wasn't ready...and then he lost it mentally as well.
I'm thinking it might go 5 sets. That's where Federer's experience comes into play. They are both similar players which is what's gonna make it so good.

ponky
01-26-2007, 05:24 AM
i wish they would show more doubles, i like watching it at times, bryan brothers and the old matchups with martina/paes (or other guys)

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:26 AM
They used to show doubles. They hardly do anymore. They should show it more. I enjoy watching it.

ponky
01-26-2007, 05:34 AM
good night! i think i'll turn in a bit *early* tonight :)

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:42 AM
good night

Spurologist
01-26-2007, 06:25 AM

Friday 9:30 PM ET.

It will be a Saturday FINAL as usual in Melbourne but it will be a friday in the US because of the 16 hour difference for the East coast

Damn. Gonzo just didn't give Haas a chance. Ripping winner after winner just like Fed did when he swept ARod off the court.

Best Forehand in the game = Gonzo. Federer is right behind him.

Gonzo hits the forehands at the rate of 115 mph. That how fast some people on tour SERVE. Incredible. I'm just hoping for a great final. It could get interesting.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Gonzalez is KILLING Haas, he looks like he might be good enough to beat Fedorer

SAtown
01-26-2007, 04:04 PM
So when is the Mens final, in US time?

MajorMike
01-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Federer needs some decent compeition. He happens to be the best in an era of mediocrity. Someone needs to step up and smack him around.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Haas got beat worse than Roddick

Spurologist
01-26-2007, 06:30 PM
So when is the Mens final, in US time?

SUNDAY 3:30 am on ESPN2 LIVE

There will be a replay SUNDAY @ 12 PM on ESPN2

ponky
01-26-2007, 09:34 PM
let's get it on!!!!!!!

ponky
01-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Haas got beat worse than Roddick

haha, when he missed that slam i was like "game over"

resistanze
01-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Serena is giving Sharapova a whuppin'

resistanze
01-26-2007, 10:06 PM
LMFAO @ the look Serena gave when Maria smacked her with the ball. :lol

SAtown
01-26-2007, 10:32 PM
4-0 in second set. Serena is running away with this.

ponky
01-26-2007, 10:38 PM
LMFAO @ the look Serena gave when Maria smacked her with the ball. :lol

that was like the door closing on any slim chance sharapova might have had! :lol :lol

this match is like BLINK BLINK, game, set, match!

resistanze
01-26-2007, 10:46 PM
It's Ova!

ponky
01-26-2007, 10:48 PM
i don't usually like blowouts in tennis either but damn that was some POWERful woMANHANDLING!!!

Spurologist
01-26-2007, 10:48 PM
HOLY FUCK.

SERENA WILLIAMS is again on top of the TENNIS WORLD

ponky
01-26-2007, 10:49 PM
HOLY FUCK.

SERENA WILLIAMS is again on top of the TENNIS WORLD

did i read that correctly? is she currently ranked 98th on the WTA?!?!?!?! hahahahahahahaha

SAtown
01-26-2007, 10:53 PM
The commentators were talking about how out-of-shape she looked at the beginning of the tournament, and how fit she looks now. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

ponky
01-26-2007, 10:55 PM
The commentators were talking about how out-of-shape she looked at the beginning of the tournament, and how fit she looks now. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

yeah i'm sure you get in shape very quickly playing two weeks of tennis. she's only played 12 tourneys since her injury and rankings are based on how many points you accumulate so that's the only reason she's ranked so low...i wonder what her actual seed for the tourney was though?

Spurologist
01-26-2007, 10:56 PM
did i read that correctly? is she currently ranked 98th on the WTA?!?!?!?! hahahahahahahaha

:lmao

It might not be on paper but she has every woman on the tennis tour questioning their own abilities. This is as clear a statement game as you can get. People were questioning her talent when she was injured and was pursuing some off court things like modeling and the like. The woman on the woman's tour are now feeling the intimidation factor that once faded and has now reappeared.

There's no way you can go from #84 to #1 after a tournament but she has taken the express route and is now ranked #14.

WOW. COMPLETE DOMINANCE

Spurologist
01-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Classy and excellent post game speech by Sharapova

ponky
01-26-2007, 11:02 PM
:lmao
There's no way you can go from #84 to #1 after a tournament but she has taken the express route and is now ranked #14.

WOW. COMPLETE DOMINANCE

yeah, ONE HOUR, 3 MIN. ...dang, i'd hate to be on the other end of that stick. ok stop talking so much maria...haha, at least she's not pulling a jana novotna, remember her (wimbledon)?

ponky
01-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Classy and excellent post game speech by Sharapova

it is...but too long...could be shorter

resistanze
01-26-2007, 11:06 PM
it is...but too long...could be shorter

I wouldn't be able to talk that much after gettin my ass handed to me on a gourmet platter.

I'd be looking for the nearest sofa. :lol

ponky
01-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't be able to talk that much after gettin my ass handed to me on a gourmet platter.

I'd be looking for the nearest sofa. :lol

haha, the sofa. i remember a couple of years ago when carlos moya played alex corretja in the french open finals. i think corretja came in as runner up and spoke perfect french to the crowd, gave some long-winded speech and upstaged the winner, moya!

haha, serena thanked mike wallace, that's cool!

ponky
01-26-2007, 11:09 PM
that's pretty sweet, that was so weird about her sister couple of years ago

LaMarcus Bryant
01-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Was there any doubt Serena was going to absolutely dominate this cute ass Russian chick?

Shes fucking SERENA WILLIAMS i saiiidddddiddadsfasdas

ponky
01-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Was there any doubt Serena was going to absolutely dominate this cute ass Russian chick?

actually, yes

SAtown
01-27-2007, 01:07 AM

Well, she did have a (1) next to her name, so yes.

kingsfan
01-27-2007, 10:49 AM
I said Sernea was back but damn she kicked ass.
The men's semis were so boring http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smisleep.gif I hate those totally lopsided matches. Hopefully the final will be better but I doubt it. Gonzo's playing well but he's never played in a match this big before and I think nerves will get the best of him, plus playing Rog is not exactly an easy task. He made Andy look like total shit out there. Loved Andy's press conference though, he always makes me laugh http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Spurologist
01-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Sharapova is only #1 in the world and Serena pretty given no shot to win the tournament when she started. She was #81. Go figure

Horry For 3!
01-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Fuckin Serena Williams :pctoss I wanted Sharapova to win.

Horry For 3!
01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Federer vs Gonzalez tonight on ESPN2 @ 2:30 am CST

It is goin to be sweet :)

SAtown
01-27-2007, 11:52 PM
I can't wait for this match. I want to see some good play from Gonzalez, cuz if he doesn't bring anything close to his A game, he's getting his ass kicked.

Horry For 3!
01-28-2007, 04:23 AM
This match is good so far. Gonzo up 5-4 now and serving, which could give him the set if he wins the game.

Horry For 3!
01-28-2007, 04:31 AM
Damn, this shit is insane. The kind of shots both are making.

Spurologist
01-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Did Gonzo choke away the set or did Federer step up his game. Both.

This match will get very interesting if Gonzo keeps his head.

Horry For 3!
01-28-2007, 04:52 AM
One hell of a first set. 7-6 Federer.

Second set should be interesting, we will see if Gonzalez can keep his head into the game still and not fall apart.

Spurologist
01-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Game.

Set.

Match.

Horry For 3!
01-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Federer wins the second set in a back and forth game at the beginning.

Federer 7-6 6-4

Horry For 3!
01-28-2007, 05:25 AM
I think Federer will dominate the third set for the win.

I say Federer goes 6-1 in the third set

Horry For 3!
01-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Well I got that prediction wrong. Gonzalez up 2-1 in third set now.

I am impressed that he is still working hard and not giving up.

Horry For 3!
01-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Federer wins the match

7-6 6-4 6-4

Horry For 3!
01-28-2007, 06:07 AM
He never dropped a set the whole grand slam, that is amazing.

Spurologist
01-28-2007, 06:08 AM
There's the Federer league and then there's one for everyone else

Horry For 3!
01-28-2007, 06:10 AM
I am very impressed with Gonzalez though. He gave Federer his all and made him really work tonight.

themvp
01-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Federer is just amazing and we can be glad for watching his era.

Spurologist
01-28-2007, 07:21 AM
I am very impressed with Gonzalez though. He gave Federer his all and made him really work tonight.

True. Props to him.

The problem is your best probably won't get it done against Federer. When he seems to be on the edge, he steps up his game another level. That happened in the first set. Gonzo had two set points on his racket. The first chance came when Federer blocked his serve back and Gonzo hit it right into the net to take the game to deuce. Gonzo then lost the game and then the set. That really has break your spirits because you feel like you are playing your absolute best.

Also, I can't believe no one else thinks Federer is extremely arrogant and a showboater. If it was anyone else but him they would be exposed. But it's Federer. He's so quiet and maybe that's his way of showing pride, passion and getting in the other player's head.

Here are some examples.

When Fed beat Hewitt a couple of years ago he said, "He's good enough with his base to beat me on a day when I'm not on,"

After beating Nadal: "I played my best match of the tournament in the finals, which I always do--I don't know how I do that."

He almost always says, "I played excellent tennis"

"I lost a set, which is always a very strange feeling."

On beating Roddick in the semis, "I've played good matches here (Aussie Open), but never really almost destroyed somebody (Roddick), that's a highlight of my career."

Again on the Roddick match: "It was a tough match for him (Roddick), one for him to forget and me to remember," said Federer. "He's been playing so well, made it to the semis. You've got to be confident coming into the semis. I always go into matches thinking 'well this might not work out'. I was just better; I guess it makes it easier for him to forget I hope(THAT'S BRUTAL).

"Today it was a great rhythm I found against David, and I'm surprised it was so quick" :lol After beating Nalbandian

"I know I can beat him on any surface."- This was after he lost to Nadal at Roland Garros

“I had to laugh at one stage how well I was playing, I always came up with a great answer, you know. I was in control pretty much all the time.

“It’s quite surprising to come out and beat a fellow top 5 in the finals so convincing.

On letterman, he gave a story of how he used to break rackets and curse at himself when he playing Safin. He was explaining his anger back then and at the end he mentioned at the end, "which of course I eventually got the win"

Maybe he needs this type of speech to do what he does. All I can say is he backs up what he says and WILL be the greatest player EVER. Must be great to marvel at your greatness.

Did Federer sells his soul to the devil for TENNIS IMMORTALITY???

1Parker1
01-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Dude, if you had 10 grand Slams and were beating your competition left and right within 2 hours, you'd be slightly cocky too. Besides, all tennis players sound cocky in their post-game quotes. Roddick said something to the effect of "I think the gap is closing between Federer and the rest of the league." and proceeded to mention something about how he thinks he can beat him. If you want cocky, have you read Serena Williams' post game quotes? That chick has only 3 titles, non of them back to back like Federer, yet she's out there talking worse smack.

At this point, I don't think there's anyone that can beat a healthy Roger Federer.

1Parker1
01-28-2007, 10:28 AM
When you're the #1 ranked tennis player since 2004, you can afford to be slightly cocky.

Man I love watching him play, I can't wait to watch the match at noon today (Even though I now know the outcome...:lol)

Spurologist
01-28-2007, 12:49 PM
When you're the #1 ranked tennis player since 2004, you can afford to be slightly cocky.

Man I love watching him play, I can't wait to watch the match at noon today (Even though I now know the outcome...:lol)

I have no problem with it. I actually find it hilarious. Every big time athlete always has to have some kind cocky arrogance in them. Maybe that's his inner drive - knowing and acknowledging that he can't be stopped.

:tu great player that backs it up.

1p1, what does the sign on your avatar say?? I've almost gone blind trying to figure it out.

SAtown
01-28-2007, 02:23 PM
OT: I'm sick of hearing people compare Roger Federer to Tiger Woods. PLEASE! First of all, the only thing Tennis and Golf have in common is that it's a one person 'team' (at least singles tennis). I bet if Tiger Woods was a fat Irish guy, no one in America would give a damn about him. Federer is ELITE, in a legitimate SPORT, not a GAME. It takes a crap load of athleticism to compete against the best tennis players in the world.

I know not many people would agree with me on this, but that's cool. It just makes me uneasy when people say that a golfer is the most dominant person in 'sports.' (Obviously they only include the major American sports in that comment)

kingsfan
01-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Gonzo had his chances in the 1st set. If he'd won it it would have given a lot of confidence and things might have been different. He should be proud though, he beat several top class players to even get to the final and he was just outplayed as is just about everyone who has to play Rog. (Stefanki is a helluva coach.) Much as I hate to admit it he's going to end up being the best ever unless an injury dictates otherwise. No-one is even close to his level. It's going to be interesting at the French to see if he can actually beat Nadal, if he does the Slam is pretty much his.
Nice to see Serena there watching, that doesn't happen very often.

dbreiden83080
01-28-2007, 02:47 PM
OT: I'm sick of hearing people compare Roger Federer to Tiger Woods. PLEASE! First of all, the only thing Tennis and Golf have in common is that it's a one person 'team' (at least singles tennis). I bet if Tiger Woods was a fat Irish guy, no one in America would give a damn about him. Federer is ELITE, in a legitimate SPORT, not a GAME. It takes a crap load of athleticism to compete against the best tennis players in the world.

I know not many people would agree with me on this, but that's cool. It just makes me uneasy when people say that a golfer is the most dominant person in 'sports.' (Obviously they only include the major American sports in that comment)

Tennis at his highest level of competition is so much harder to play than golf and anyone with a knowledge of the 2 sports really should understand that. Look no further than a guy like Phil Mickelson he is a top 5 player in the world and a multiple GS champion and he is totally out of shape. You have to be a finely tuned athlete in the best shape of your life to play and win on the ATP tour. Tennis players are all but done by the time they hit 30 years old. Andre set the standard for playing at a high level late in his career at age 35. Jack Nicholas won the masters at age 47 no tennis player will ever accomplish that feat because there is just too much athleticism involved. Golf is a game that allows you to get around some of the advantages great athletes have in tennis that is just not the case.

Mavs<Spurs
01-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Lots of good posts in this thread.

I just feel privileged to live at a time where I can watch Roger Federer.
It is like attending a performance by Mozart or Bach or Beethoven.

I agree with 1Parker1 that Roger is just being realistic.
He has to be honest.
The man speaks the truth.
It is what it is.

He has such a complete game.
I love the times when they had Roger's Funhouse.
He has beaten Nadal the last 3 times they played.
He is without peer in tennis.
There will never, ever be anybody who will merit being placed in the same sentence as Roger Federer in terms of tennis talent.

At age 25 to have 10 Grand Slam titles, it is clear that records will be shattered.
He will probably win Wimbledon again this year. That makes 11 and his fifth in a row.
He is the favorite to win US Open also this year. That makes 12 and his fourth US Open in a row.
And ties him at 26 with Emerson for the second most Grand Slams ever.
Some of these records are going to be silly and ridiculous.
At his last 7 Grand Slam tournaments, he is an astounding 48-1.
In less than a month, he will have more consecutive weeks at number one in the world than any man ever.
He is the only tennis player to have won 3 or more of 3 different Grand Slam titles.
Last year was a silly 92-5.
He has lost 15 total matches in the last 3 years.

These are gaudy stats.
For me, if he wins the French this year, there is no longer any room for reasonable people to disagree that Roger Federer is the best tennis player of all time.
That will be tough. Nadal is better than Federer on clay. But Nadal's play has slipped. He is undergoing injuries and Roger did grow up playing on clay.
It is not the most probable outcome, but it is far from unlikely.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Very good match Gonzalez almost stole the first one and then things would have gotten a little more interesting. Give him some time and he will only be that much better. As for Federer, he's the best player I've ever seen. He has no weaknesses. Maybe this is his year for all 4.

ponky
01-28-2007, 04:01 PM
DAMN U TIVO!!!!!! fuck, the stupid directv dvr missed the match for some reason and i didn't schedule it on my other standalone tivo in the library...blech, oh well, i knew federer was going to win anyway but sounds like gonzalez stayed with him in the first, good to see

As for Federer beaing unbeatable, it certainly looks that way although I can see Nadal beating him every once in awhile...certainly in Paris but also on hard court if he develops his game the way some of the other Spaniards have been able to do in the past (Corretja, Ferrer). He nearly beat Federer in the U.S. Masters, taking it to five sets and he's beaten him in Dubai, both hard court tourneys.

1Parker1
01-28-2007, 04:08 PM
1p1, what does the sign on your avatar say?? I've almost gone blind trying to figure it out.

:lol It's a scene from the movie, Love Actually. It says "To me, You are Perfect."

Spurologist
01-28-2007, 07:24 PM
:lol It's a scene from the movie, Love Actually. It says "To me, You are Perfect."

awwww. Spreading the love to SpursTalk.

Good 'N Plenty
01-29-2007, 09:59 AM
I was just happy to see Serena kick Maria's ass.

MajorMike
01-29-2007, 10:01 AM
That was nice. I'm glad she came out of her hypochondriac shell.