PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else as disinterested this year as me?

King
01-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I think I've missed watching more games this year than I have in the past eight or so years combined. It has nothing to do with the record, or team, or anything - I'm just not interested in watching them as much. I know a few other friends feel this way, curious if anyone else does.

ShoogarBear
01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Some of the Spurs apparently are.

sa_butta
01-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I cant say Im really disinterested as much as I am dissapointed in the way they have been playing. Is it because we are spoiled and expect them to win every game? I dont know. But what I do know is they can play better than this. I hope the second half of the season proves better than the first.

Manu_The _Best
01-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I think I've missed watching more games this year than I have in the past eight or so years combined. It has nothing to do with the record, or team, or anything - I'm just not interested in watching them as much. I know a few other friends feel this way, curious if anyone else does.

Well, when the team gets OLD as those guys are, and when Popovich does nothing to improve the team in the pre-season, nothing else is left to do, but just to turn off the TV...

SAtown
01-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Those championships have had its toll on everyone. A clear sign was that Mavs game at the at&t last weekend. Mavs fans were so much louder than all the Spurs fans.

mavsfan1000
01-15-2007, 05:25 PM
It's alright to jump off the bandwagon now that that the team is struggling slightly. :lol

Obstructed_View
01-15-2007, 05:29 PM
It's alright to jump off the bandwagon now that that the team is struggling slightly. :lol
I agree completely. If they were winning by ten points every night you'd be getting a Spurs logo tattooed on your chest.

SenorSpur
01-15-2007, 05:35 PM
I have been and will continue to watch diligently as always - but it's damn hard to watch.

Bruno
01-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Fuck bandwagonner.

Extra Stout
01-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Who is under the salary cap? If the Spurs can dump Tim Duncan's salary before the trade deadline, they can put to rest any luxury tax fears.

King
01-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm not saying I'm disappointed in the team - or are pissed watching them. I'm just saying I'm disinterested in watching some of the games this year. Past years, I'd DVR shows and watch the game - now I'm watching whatever interests me more at the time. It's really not any deeper than that for me.

Just bored by some of the games. I still read the board and know what's going on with the team.

Extra Stout
01-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Actually moving TD might not be the worst idea. He's healty and no more effective than he was hurt.
He is still effective when he can find motivation to play hard.

Extra Stout
01-15-2007, 06:08 PM
When in the last two years have you seen that?
The playoffs.

dknights411
01-15-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm still loving the Spurs, but I'm WAY too busy to worry about them as I used to. However, I am just a bit jaded on the level of hate for Coach Pop, Beno, and Finley among others on this board. (Finley's sub-par half season thus far suddenly makes him the worst Spur ever? :wtf)

remingtonbo2001
01-15-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm not saying I'm disappointed in the team - or are pissed watching them. I'm just saying I'm disinterested in watching some of the games this year. Past years, I'd DVR shows and watch the game - now I'm watching whatever interests me more at the time. It's really not any deeper than that for me.

Just bored by some of the games. I still read the board and know what's going on with the team.

The entire team looks bored....At times I see flashes of the old, magnificent play that continually placed us in contention....I'm hopeful this will become something near consistancy. Maybe it's the cold weather? People often suffer from depression during the winter months.:lol
Oh, well, get over it, it's going to snow. :downspin:

midgetonadonkey
01-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Fuck bandwagonner.

dknights411
01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh, well, get over it, it's going to snow. :downspin:

Hell yeah!!! :elephant

Big Shot Rob
01-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Actually--what you mean is "uninterested."

"Disinterested" means unbiased, objective.

I think you mean that you are uninterested in the team. i.e., that their play bores you, etc.

bigfundamental21
01-15-2007, 06:47 PM
If anyone is disinterested, then they are not true Spurs fans. Fans, true fans, stick by their team no matter what. Win or lose, they are still fans. So, they haven't won every game, that doesn't mean we turn our heads. I hate all these fucking fans that are ready to bail when the waters get rough. The season isn't even half over.

bendmz
01-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Get ready folks, here comes the " RODEO TRIP ". :ihit

Streakyshooter08
01-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, no! I am not desinterested. But I am worried about the way things turn out. They are playing bad defense and the bench doesn't look that good as well. Especially Barry, Finley and Udrih. The thing is, that the Spurs would not beat Dallas in a series RIGHT NOW. They are just playing poorly. BUT: It is a long way to go and I think they can do much better than they are playing a the moment. There is still hope for a trade till the deadline. As long as you have the "big 3" there is always a chance to win it all...

smeagol
01-15-2007, 07:09 PM
No

MannyIsGod
01-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I was far less interested at this point last year. This year I actually care.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-15-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm really interested to see if the Spurs try to make a move this spring or if they're going to stick with this team. I've been amazed at the fact that the team recognized it's biggest need last summer (the mythical unicorn...I mean the long three) and never really addressed it.

I really thought the Spurs would win the West last year so the regular season didn't do much for me.

This year I'm not sure we've got the matchups in our favor to beat the Mavs (however I do think we can beat the Suns with this team), so I'm going to be paying much more attention around the signing and trade deadlines, and certainly the standings.

In a year in which won/loss records determine second round matchups I certainly hope the Spurs don't take too much of the mid-season off, but it's an 82 game schedule and I don't think we're seeing their best effort right now.

boutons_
01-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm still a fan, but if the Spurs play like don't care,
play way below their capability, don't hustle,
why should I care?

Yep, I'm pretty bland about this season.
I'll give fuck when they give a fuck.

To win 60, they have to go 33 - 8 from now on, which is a better record than the Mavs current 31 - 8. We're probably looking at 55 - 27 season.

It's Tim's team, but I doubt he's enough of a leader to turn the season around.

King
01-15-2007, 07:58 PM
If anyone is disinterested, then they are not true Spurs fans. Fans, true fans, stick by their team no matter what. Win or lose, they are still fans. So, they haven't won every game, that doesn't mean we turn our heads. I hate all these fucking fans that are ready to bail when the waters get rough. The season isn't even half over.

Oh, shut up. It has nothing to do with their WL record. Nobody's bailing on anything.

SAtown
01-15-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm not "disinterested" this year, but I don't really get mad and stuff over regular season losses. Frankly, we should be kinda happy if we don't get the top seeds cuz that way we don't have to play in front of lame ass att center crowds in the playoffs. And besides, we're better on the road.

angel_luv
01-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm not at all disinterested. I have had a hectic year so I feel a little bit distracted, but I am having that issue with everything.

Kori Ellis
01-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm never disinterested because I'm actually a fan. *shrug*

timvp
01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm more interested than ever. For the first time in a long, long time, Spurs fans should be able to see the light of the lottery at the end of the tunnel. I want history to look back on these Spurs as one of the best sports dynasties of all-time.

The Spurs have had a hell of a run the last eight seasons. To have a .700 winning percentage and three championships over that span is already an amazing feat. But I want more for this team ... and time is running out.

Sure, the Spurs go through the motions at times this year, but that's a byproduct of their success. In the regular season, Duncan isn't going to play like he did in his first couple years in the league. The coaches aren't going to coach like every regular sesaon game is life or death. The Spurs have been here and done that so many times that they know what the deal is.

The time to become disinterested is in four or five years when this team is under .500 and the memories of today seem long gone. I'm sure it can be equally tough for fans as it is for the Spurs because the regular season has lost a lot of its importance. The Spurs know that, their fans know that. That's why the AT&T Center most nights has the energy level of a library.

The time is now to cement the legacy of this franchise. Spurs fans have been given more amazing memories over the last eight years than most fans get in two lifetimes. But this ride isn't over.

Believe.

:smokin

King
01-15-2007, 09:18 PM
I think people are reading too much into 'disinterested.' I just mean that I don't particularly care to watch the Hornets/Spurs games on UPN when it's up against Lost or 24 or something else. Not that I don't care if they win or lose. In previous years, I would know exactly when and who they played, what channel it was on, etc. Now a few of them sneak up on me. If that questions my 'fandom' then so be it. But, I knew a lot of people would come out and say 'bandwagon' etc.

Nevermind the fact that I attended every single home game during the pre-Duncan, year of the ten-day contract - and rooted for the Jason Sassers of the world.

I fully admit it's because we're spoiled - we know the Spurs will be in the playoffs. We know they'll probably turn it on, and go a few rounds deep in the playoffs. And I, and most people here, will watch every minute of it.

But, if not really caring about a mid January game against the Charlotte's or Portland's of the league makes me not a fan in the eyes of a message board - I think I can live with that. I think people are trying to read too much into it, though.

And no, I meant 'disinterested.'

dis·in·ter·est·ed /dɪsˈɪntəˌrɛstɪd, -trɪstɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dis-in-tuh-res-tid, -tri-stid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. unbiased by personal interest or advantage; not influenced by selfish motives: a disinterested decision by the referee.
2. not interested; indifferent.

timvp
01-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I think people are reading too much into 'disinterested.' I just mean that I don't particularly care to watch the Hornets/Spurs games on UPN when it's up against Lost or 24 or something else. Not that I don't care if they win or lose. In previous years, I would know exactly when and who they played, what channel it was on, etc. Now a few of them sneak up on me. If that questions my 'fandom' then so be it. But, I knew a lot of people would come out and say 'bandwagon' etc.

Nevermind the fact that I attended every single home game during the pre-Duncan, year of the ten-day contract - and rooted for the Jason Sassers of the world.

I fully admit it's because we're spoiled - we know the Spurs will be in the playoffs. We know they'll probably turn it on, and go a few rounds deep in the playoffs. And I, and most people here, will watch every minute of it.

But, if not really caring about a mid January game against the Charlotte's or Portland's of the league makes me not a fan in the eyes of a message board - I think I can live with that. I think people are trying to read too much into it, though.

And no, I meant 'disinterested.'

Nothing wrong with being disinterested. 99% of Spurs fans are one of two things: disinterested or dishonest.

Heck, the Spurs themselves are disinterested a lot of the time. Hopefully this city and team can wake up down the stretch of the season.

Mr. Body
01-15-2007, 09:27 PM
The city, the fanbase, and the team have grown fat with prosperity. This is the end years of a dynasty and all dynasties end about the same way. Kudos to the Patriots to keep it going long after they were declared dead. Hopefully the Spurs can keep thrashing for a couple years, but by the sounds of it people are kind of sick watching this team develop day by day, week by week.

Marcus Bryant
01-15-2007, 09:30 PM
What's maddening is that the Spurs are holding back themselves from developing their younger players and international talent in favor of older, experienced vets in their supporting cast yet are not fully pushing to win it all now. I'm not disinterested. I'm disappointed.

baseline bum
01-15-2007, 09:56 PM
I understand what y'all are saying. It hit me last season, and I didn't catch a whole lot of this team's games, which I really regretted when they didn't go deep into the playoffs last season. For now though, as long as Tim Duncan is playing, I'm glued to every second of action that I can see. Anyone who takes this guy for granted is going to be shocked when he realizes just how much this team is missing in 5-6 years when Tim's jersey is in the rafters of the AT&T Center, instead of on his back on the floor.