PDA

View Full Version : First J.R Smith, now Corey Maggette. Without a big trade the Spurs= 2nd round loss

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-15-2007, 06:12 PM
You people who are taking Duncan's greatness for granted are fools, and once he's gone or is on his last legs you will of be thinking "what if we put better players around him". We are NOT better then the Mavs and the Suns. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we were to lose in 5 to either of those teams.

When you have a team with only 3 reliable scorers, and the rest are all planning retirement, the Spurs will not be more then a good team that happens to get passed the 1st round.

The Spurs ignorance and stubbornness to get Maggette will mean one thing: Duncan will have ANOTHER amazing playoff performance in a series loss

GO SPURS GO

spurtime
01-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I agree that it's unlikely we get past Dallas with the Spurs as presently constituted if Dallas stays healthy.

midgetonadonkey
01-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Fantastic post. I'm a little teary eyed.

SenorSpur
01-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Exactly.

Remember what happened to D-Rob. The FO was never able to find the right mix of players throughout most of his career. They came close a few times, but it wasn't until Duncan arrived that they were able to turn the trick.

Fuck 2008! Get players around Duncan now and let's try and win it this year - and next year.

my2sons
01-15-2007, 07:25 PM
wow, so if we traded for jr smith or corey forgetti, we win the title. how many teams have they taken to the title and who do they guard that makes a difference on this team. i am all for improving this team, but i don't see them being the differnce maker in the title run. all i hear idiots say is we need to make a move now....sorry folks they ain't it.

SequSpur
01-15-2007, 07:27 PM
The Spurs need a backup point and a solid big man to start... that's it... shit.. how simple is that.... that's it... they've had chance after chance after chance and they still manage to come up with shit.

J.T.
01-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Oh my god the Spurs are doomed time to jump off the bandwagon!!!

It's January. If they are playing like this in March, April, then maybe it's time to get scared. Honestly a 4 or 5 seed is probably good for the Spurs, they need a run where they are not expected to win and put together something fantastic. At least that's something I'd like to see.

itzsoweezee
01-15-2007, 07:45 PM
there are two things the spurs can do right now to improve this team without any trades:

1. quit playing small ball
2. during the game, play the players that are playing well and bench the players that are stinking it up

these are pretty simple adjustments. unfortunately, dipshit "i've never made a good adjustment in my life" popovich still hasn't gotten it through his head.

djohn14
01-15-2007, 07:58 PM
It's simple, were old. The youth is taking over. The Mavs with Howard and Harris. The Suns with Marion, Amare, and Barbosa. Come draft time we need energy. Here are some people to look at: C-Roy Hibbert, Pf-Tyler Hansbrough (Born and raised 1 hour away from my home), Sf-Jeff Green, Sf- Reyshawn Terry, and Pg- Mustafa Shakur.

MrChug
01-15-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm waiting to see where we are in April. Then my belief will wane. I'm not making any excuses now. I'm a fan. Fuck me for believing. We ARE playing like shit, but that's about all I can say about it right now. How were the Mavs playing at the beginning of the season? Shitty.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 08:46 PM
The age of the players makes the margin for error much smaller. Youth and athleticism can mask or make up for many shortcomings. Hopefully the Spurs do something. I'm sure they are considering several deals, but nobody wants to do deals five weeks from the deadline--everyones thinks they can get better deals closer to the deadline.

my2sons
01-15-2007, 08:56 PM
The Spurs need a backup point and a solid big man to start... that's it... shit.. how simple is that.... that's it... they've had chance after chance after chance and they still manage to come up with shit.

So who do they get, that puts us over the top....who have they passed on that was available considering who we would have had to give up. of course i know you are a salary cap guru so you could fill in the blanks with ease. so please clarify to me, who comes in, takes playing time makes a reasonable salary and solidifies this teams chances at another ring that we don't already have. enlighten me

Mr. Body
01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
While I agree, getting JR Smith probably would have set this team further back. Smith wouldn't be getting any playing time and our success in the beginning had a lot to do with Barry.

Marcus Bryant
01-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Can we please get TD some help up front?

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Can we?

Marcus Bryant
01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
It's worth a try.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 09:37 PM
The question is who?

Marcus Bryant
01-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Someone who can board, defend out on the perimeter and hit the occassional J.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 09:38 PM
And the name of that person is....

Mr. Body
01-15-2007, 09:40 PM
If there was something there they would have gotten him. This is what happens at the end of every dynasty. The year we beat the Lake Show in 2003, they were on their last legs the same way, their guys either very old like Brian Shaw or patching up the spots with underwhelming rookies like Medvedenko. We're the same way. We don't have a lot of chits to trade for nice pieces.

ploto
01-15-2007, 09:41 PM
The problem is that in recent years the Spurs have traded for one primary reason-- salary dumps. Why do you think they are interested in Mo Pete- to get rid of Barry's last year of his contract.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
They don't like overpaying players who didn't work out.

ploto
01-15-2007, 09:44 PM
If there was something there they would have gotten him. This is what happens at the end of every dynasty. The year we beat the Lake Show in 2003, they were on their last legs the same way, their guys either very old like Brian Shaw or patching up the spots with underwhelming rookies like Medvedenko. We're the same way. We don't have a lot of chits to trade for nice pieces.
And the Spurs have drafted guys and left them overseas or traded picks so much that their only draft find in several years is Beno!

Mr. Body
01-15-2007, 09:44 PM
A richer team could have traded up for talent instead of traded for salary dumps. That trade for Mohammed cost us a 1st round draft pick, although that's when we thought 1st round picks were poison. Making decisions for financial reasons tends to hurt the basketball on the court.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Which richer team? The only free spending team left is the Knicks. Everyone else is moving toward getting under that magical number called the luxury tax threshold.

Mr. Body
01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Dallas still applies.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 09:50 PM
After getting rid of Finley to avoid paying the tax?

They don't apply.

At the very most, that's two teams.

Mr. Body
01-15-2007, 09:53 PM
They aren't on the spending spree they used to be... and getting rid of Finley was a basketball decision as much as a financial one, wouldn't you agree? They had far better players waiting behind him.

The point stands: we're constricted by finances. Dallas, while reeling it in a bit, is able to spend where they have to. And they're reaping the benefits of being able to spend big in the past. All their talent was expensive.

ChumpDumper
01-15-2007, 09:55 PM
and getting rid of Finley was a basketball decision as much as a financial one, wouldn't you agree?No. If the other guys were better, they simply should have been moved ahead of him in the rotation, it's not like Fin would have turned into a cancer.
The point stands: we're constricted by finances.As is everyone else in the league save the Knicks. Expecting the Spurs to spend $100 million a season is just silly.

raspsa
01-15-2007, 10:48 PM
And the name of that person is....
Francisco Elson :spin :spin

midgetonadonkey
01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Incredible thread. I'm really enjoying it.

STEVEYCU
01-16-2007, 12:07 AM
what would Spurs and Dallas fans say if probably the biggest rivalry right now made a trade with one another....

RC's Boss
01-16-2007, 12:44 PM
You fuckers whine 2 much... It's mid-January!

exstatic
01-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Spurs need a decent backup PG and a big. Neither Maggette or JR Smith address those needs.

my2sons
01-16-2007, 06:00 PM
its funny how easy it is to criticize and whine about what we don't have, but very few come out and say we need to go get player x. some say player x was available in the summer but i still don't know who that is....i'll stick with thel line from hoosier...this is our team, so lets quit bitching about what do don't have and support what we do...unless of course you're able to tell me not only who you want on this team, but who you are willing to give up to get him on this team...now shut up and play some ball

rascal
01-16-2007, 06:20 PM
So who do they get, that puts us over the top....who have they passed on that was available considering who we would have had to give up. of course i know you are a salary cap guru so you could fill in the blanks with ease. so please clarify to me, who comes in, takes playing time makes a reasonable salary and solidifies this teams chances at another ring that we don't already have. enlighten me

Its not up to SequSpur or anyone else on this board to get the players to improve the spurs or even to suggest who to get. Its Pop and RC who need to step up and make it happen. But I don't see any results in making the team better with smart moves.

Every year good players are available and switch teams and the spurs never seem to be willing or able to get any of these top players, instead settling for role players or trading for guys they keep for a year or so.

Name all the good trades or fa signings the spurs have pulled off in the last 6 or 7 years? And compare that to all the players that switched teams through trades or fa and you see the spurs are not doing a good job. They have a history of discussing pulling the trigger on trades and then decide to play it safe and do nothing.

If your content with the job Pop and RC are doing in the trade and fa front then be ready to watch the current spurs roster age and be frustrated watching Duncan try to win with a less then stacked deck come playoff time.

rascal
01-16-2007, 06:29 PM
its funny how easy it is to criticize and whine about what we don't have, but very few come out and say we need to go get player x. some say player x was available in the summer but i still don't know who that is....i'll stick with thel line from hoosier...this is our team, so lets quit bitching about what do don't have and support what we do...unless of course you're able to tell me not only who you want on this team, but who you are willing to give up to get him on this team...now shut up and play some ball

You sound like nothing more then a cheerleader. Support your team and do not say anything that may be viewed as critical to the team.

If I was in charge the spurs would have Duncan and Parker as its core and I would have targeted players like R Wallace, Vince Carter and Caron Butler when these guys were available for cheap. Any of these players with Duncan and Parker would make the spurs better then they are now.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 06:30 PM
ts not up to SequSpur or anyone else on this board to get the players to improve the spurs or even to suggest who to get.Why not? You just did and always have.

rascal
01-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Why not?

Its not our job. Lets see the guys in charge make some things happen on the trade front.

rascal
01-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Why not? You just did and always have.

To say you should not discuss or complain if you don't say who to get and how to get those players makes no sense because even if we say who to get and how to get them it doesn't make any difference.

The end results are what the spurs are doing and I am not seeing anything that is making the team better.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 06:54 PM
So idle bitching is the best bitching.

Understood.

temujin
01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
1) As long as Parker Ginobili and Duncan are in, there won't be loosing seasons. Pre-requisite for having a chance at the title.

2) I read too much panic. A month ago Spurs at the top of the world.
All of the sudden they a bunch of loosers.
Ridiculous.
Veterans know that they have to peak in spingtime.
4/5 seed is OK. Home court advantage is very thin in 7 game series.
When the games will matter, you'll see a lot more open shot misses from the Hinrichs and Gordons.

3) The only serious problem I see is back-up point guard.
This Udrih guy is the paradigm of a looser. He is good for Memphis or NYK.

4) If they have a chance of getting JR Smith, go and get the guy. Enormous potential.

exstatic
01-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Every year good players are available and switch teams and the spurs never seem to be willing or able to get any of these top players, instead settling for role players or trading for guys they keep for a year or so.

Every year, most of those teams don't make the playoffs, or go out in round 1. I'll take Pop, RC, and company. We don't win every year, but we are in position to win almost every year, and they re-load pretty quickly. Most team's fans would kill for this team to follow, but just be a perrenial bitch rascal. You don't deserve to be a Spurs fan. This isn't about criticism. This is about a years-long bitchfest, spanning at least two championships. You never let up. You never say ANYTHING positive. When things are good, you just fucking disappear. Do us all a favor and make it permanent. You have issues and need professional help.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 09:06 PM
:lol

Vince Carter is available again....

Nikos
01-16-2007, 09:39 PM
To say you should not discuss or complain if you don't say who to get and how to get those players makes no sense because even if we say who to get and how to get them it doesn't make any difference.

The end results are what the spurs are doing and I am not seeing anything that is making the team better.

They should have just let Ginobili go for nothing so they would have the money to sign a player in 2004. Ginobili is one of the worst shooting guards in the league and has no trade value. So the Spurs are left with no options.

But I would probably trade Parker too since he sucked in the 2005 playoffs. Ginobil sucked too. Anyone can do what they have done the past few years. I don't understand why you support Parker. He has been in the league for many years and hasn't shown any evidence of superstar ability, in the playoffs he actually plays horrible.

I think if the Spurs had 4 random role players they might have a better record then they do now. Ginobili and Parker are hogging the ball away from Duncan. The Spurs should go with what got them 58 wins in 2002. Duncan and basically 7-8 role players. Drob played 27mpg so he wasn't that good anyway back then. Duncan winning 58 by himself that year shows his supporting cast the last few years has been horrible because he can't even get the team about .700 ball this season without struggling.

Trade Parker and Ginobili. To say keep Parker is retarded because his playoffs were even worse then Ginobili's. Actually Ginobili sucked in all playoffs, and Parker was even worse.

Its clear they cannot help the team in the playoffs.

I agree with rascal, except that I think Parker sucks as well, not just Ginobili.

Pop and co. are basically retarded for not signing ONE good player for Duncan. I would trade Parker for Butler ina heartbeat. Butler could get 25-7-6 easy on this team because Duncan would get him wide open looks.

ducks
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
I laugh at people when they post that
kidd and nash played worse then tp did at that age
kidd even said so
young players make mistakes they get better with age
see what the chargers did against the pats

who would you trade manu for nikos?

ducks
01-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I bet the nuggets would be instestered in manu
also manu has improved his outside shot this year

ducks
01-16-2007, 09:49 PM
you look at duncan stats and his lack of d the first 32 games

maybe the spurs should consider trading him for a big instead of parker and manu
if you want to trade of the big three

gilmor
01-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Manu is just as good as Parker if not better. Even though I like Parker but that is going out on a limb now to say trade Manu.
Parker, Manu and Tim make us contend every year.

horrorshow
01-17-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm waiting to see where we are in April. Then my belief will wane. I'm not making any excuses now. I'm a fan. Fuck me for believing. We ARE playing like shit, but that's about all I can say about it right now. How were the Mavs playing at the beginning of the season? Shitty.

I agree. The Mavs and Suns are without a doudt playing at a higher level. But so were the Pistons this time last year. And look what happened. Guys! Calm down! Let the season play out. :wakeup

my2sons
01-17-2007, 12:21 AM
vince carter is available, jason kidd is available, the new jersey nets team is available. what i am saying is you gotta give up one or more of the big three to get one of those big name players and does that make this team any better. i am all for making the team better, but i don't see who is out there that is worth giving up what we have right now, this team this year right now. so if it is up to pop and rc, i trust pop and rc and you can have your little bitchfest.

exstatic
01-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Vince Carter worked out so well for NJ that they are now breaking the team up. They never even sniffed the level of the Kidd/RJ/KMart Nets that made two Finals appearances. Sexy acquistions aren't everything. You have to have the right mix of players, as NJ is finding out.

rascal
01-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Vince Carter with Duncan thats what you have to compare it to, not say the Nets are not any good with Carter . Carter with no low post player will never win a title. The Nets became a better team after getting Carter.

The spurs have Duncan . They are not like the Nets. They need a reliable explosive offensive threat to team up with Duncan. Parker is still young and has upside and is a good third option.

I'd take Carter over Manu any day.

And the spurs should have targeted Butler right when he entered the league. I said it all along. I knew this guy would become a star and he would be a perfect fit on the spurs who need an athletic 3.

Nikos
01-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Vince Carter with Duncan thats what you have to compare it to, not say the Nets are not any good with Carter . Carter with no low post player will never win a title. The Nets became a better team after getting Carter.

The spurs have Duncan . They are not like the Nets. They need a reliable explosive offensive threat to team up with Duncan. Parker is still young and has upside and is a good third option.

I'd take Carter over Manu any day.

And the spurs should have targeted Butler right when he entered the league. I said it all along. I knew this guy would become a star and he would be a perfect fit on the spurs who need an athletic 3.

:sleep

bdictjames
01-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Have a big guy inside who can block and hit jumpers. Elson would be perfect, but he still cant fit in to the Spurs system consistently.

mountainballer
01-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Vince Carter worked out so well for NJ that they are now breaking the team up.They never even sniffed the level of the Kidd/RJ/KMart Nets that made two Finals appearances. Sexy acquistions aren't everything. You have to have the right mix of players, as NJ is finding out.

the difference of Nets 2002 and 03 to 2007 is that:

- Kidd was playing the best ball of his career
- those Nets had a better supporting cast in Kittles, van Horn (02), Mutombo (03). even minor talented players like Macculloch, Harris and Williams were playing the best basketball of their career in those days (see Kidd at his best).

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2007, 01:07 PM
if we are goin to make a trade, i dont want kidd nowhere near this team

if it cost us to give away gino or tp in a package, i expect us to make a run at jermain oneal or garnett, thats if we want to win now, but if its long term, we should look at a youung player who is more feasible to be franchise player than tp.

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Watch the Pacers turn around and trade Dunleavy to LA for Maggette

HE will be traded out of the west and mike gets his son :smokin

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Could very well happen. Don't know if Sterling wants that salary, though.

VaSpursFan
01-17-2007, 03:33 PM

what sane gm would trade maggette for dunleavy, jr? i definitely would not.

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Could very well happen. Don't know if Sterling wants that salary, though.

yeh thats the only issue.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Clippers should get rid of their dumbass coach, trade him to wherever his son is playing (currently Indiana), and find a guy who will start Maggette and keep him happy.

Dirk41MVP
01-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Had you traded Barry for JR Smith, you would have gotten a HELLUVA steal and you might have been better than the mavs right now... boo incompetent management.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Had you traded Barry for JR Smith, you would have gotten a HELLUVA steal and you might have been better than the mavs right now... boo incompetent management.

No, JR Smith wouldn't be getting any playing time. The guy plays 0 defense. And when we were playing well earlier in the season, it was largely due to Brent Barry.

Dirk41MVP
01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
No, JR Smith wouldn't be getting any playing time. The guy plays 0 defense. And when we were playing well earlier in the season, it was largely due to Brent Barry.

not like you're playing any defense right now anyways huh ?, specially barry since he's Mr. defender himself lol. So you're saying you'd rather give Finley and Barry time instead of Smith who can shoot just as good as those 2 but provide more athleticism and scoring than finley and barry ?... interesting.

It's also quite interesting that you're relying on BRENT BARRY to play out of this world, for your team to win games.. hence he's the cornerstone of your franchise right ?

Edit: boo incompetent management AND fans.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
I forgot I was talking to an idiot.

Dirk41MVP
01-17-2007, 05:07 PM
stop talking to yourself then...

Typing on an internet forum is not talking, so yeah, I agree you're an idiot.

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM

zero defense? :rollin

Sorry i4got Barry was DPOY material :lol

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Barry is a mediocre defender. Your boy plays like an ungraceful matador.

Bruno
01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Armchair GMs. :rolleyes

Evryone who bitches about Spurs' FO not doing a trade should understand that there are two teams in a trade. You can't act like your desperate and call each team one month before the deadline. It puts you in a weak situation and you get only crapy offers. The ebst example of that is Sixers with Iverson : Iverson has put them in a weak situation by saying that he wanted to be traded and the result is that they've got garbage for 30ppg player.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Stephen Jackson for Barry, ANYTHING to get younger and more athletic

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Barry is a mediocre defender. Your boy plays like an ungraceful matador.

u havent watched him since he came back have u? :rolleyes

His shooting is off but his D is much improved.

spurtime
01-17-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't care what anyone says...This team is possibly more than first round fodder, but it's certainly not a championship squad. Let's hope Pop and RC utilize EWill's expiring and whatever trade assets we have to mix things up. This is just frustrating.

ploto
01-18-2007, 10:30 AM

He will be traded out of the west and mike gets his son :smokin

Good call.

According to three NBA executives, the Pacers are now in talks to move Dunleavy to the Los Angeles Clippers for dynamic swingman Corey Maggette. Indiana has been after Maggette since last season when they were looking to trade Ron Artest.

LINK (http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/sports/16487512.htm)

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 10:36 AM
if we miss out on c. magg when we could have had him earlier for stinko udrih and an overachieving barry, this will be another big miss for the front office ranking up there with passing on J. Ho. un.fucking.believeable!!!!

Streakyshooter08
01-18-2007, 10:37 AM
"According to three NBA executives, the Pacers are now in talks to move Dunleavy to the Los Angeles Clippers for dynamic swingman Corey Maggette. Indiana has been after Maggette since last season when they were looking to trade Ron Artest.

LINK"

Well this trade does not work straight up according to the Espn Trade Checker so there might be more pieces involved if it happens...

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm surprised Sterling would take on Dunleavy's contract. Guess he figures he's in for a lot at this point, might as well go in deeper.

That would truly suck if Indiana gets Maggette. That seemed like the only trade to get us out of this malaise.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Armchair GMs.

Evryone who bitches about Spurs' FO not doing a trade should understand that there are two teams in a trade. You can't act like your desperate and call each team one month before the deadline. It puts you in a weak situation and you get only crapy offers.

It's been pretty well documented that the only reason Maggette isn't in a Spurs jersey right now is the Spurs won't give up a first round draft pick.

I guess I understand their logic though, if they keep the team as it is that 1st rounder is going to be a pretty high pick.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 10:53 AM
It's been pretty well documented that the only reason Maggette isn't in a Spurs jersey right now is the Spurs won't give up a first round draft pick.

That's just speculation. Hardly "pretty well documented". Pop has also said they didn't want to deplete the bench of ballhandlers, and there's no reason to doubt him on this one.

Big Shot Rob
01-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Horry, Brent and second round pick for Maggette

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Spurs couldn't beat the Lakers @ LA without Kobe

now the Spurs can't be the Lakers @ HOME with Lamar and Kwame?

we can't beat the Lakers in the playoffs with this roster, sad