PDA

View Full Version : How complacent are the Spurs?

raspsa
01-15-2007, 09:00 PM
The Spurs have enjoyed so much success in the TD era that perhaps its only natural that they aren't as hungry and motivated as the Suns or Mavs who still have to win it all. Much has been said about their age contributing to their apparent lack of energy and certainly there are younger teams out there but perhaps reduced motivation and desire has more to do with this malaise that strikes from time to time. The scenario is clear by now. The Spurs win a few, have a couple of losses, Pop gets mad, the players play with renewed energy and get back to winning.. until the next slide.. Consistency is what they have to strive for. Just perhaps, their past success has bred a little complacency.

Maybe this is just the natural state of things. You go from highs to lows and back to highs only in the case of the Spurs, their non-championship season records are what most other teams aspire for. I guess Spurs fans are spoiled and have such high expectations. Last season I resigned myself not to get so worked up whenever the team went thru its rough patches and I found I started enjoying the games more. I had to accept that players get injured, coaches mellow with age, even stars are human and make dumb plays now and then and most importantly, that its just a game and not worth getting all aggravated over.

The positive in all this is the players and coaching staff recognize the teams shortcomings based on their comments and are trying to address them. I trust them to do what they think is right, though I must admit its fun to second-guess them once in a while. Regardless of whether or not trades materialize, I think the Spurs are competitive, w/c is really all what one can hope for. Sure, it would be desirable to have the best record and secure homecourt advantage but to be champs you have to be able to win on the road anyway. So Let the dice roll and lets all enjoy the ride.

E20
01-15-2007, 09:08 PM
They're so happy right now that if the oppurtunity to get 50 rings and 50 of everything that's good in the NBA in their next win is there they still won't give a shit.

Marcus Bryant
01-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I think the team's not complacent. Ownership, OTOH, is quite content. Holt Cat has a nice thing going. As long as the Big 3 are together the team will be a contender and will fill up the SBC....er, at&t or whatever.

Mr. Body
01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
I think the team's not complacent. Ownership, OTOH, is quite content. Holt Cat has a nice thing going. As long as the Big 3 are together the team will be a contender and will fill up the SBC....er, at&t or whatever.

Good point. Ownership isn't hungry. They're more content to have a well above average team going, devolving to above average in a few years, rather than busting the bank to get a top notch team out there. That's their call.

ploto
01-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Ownership, OTOH, is quite content. Holt Cat has a nice thing going. As long as the Big 3 are together the team will be a contender and will fill up the SBC....er, at&t or whatever.
Bingo!

SenorSpur
01-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I hate that arrogant, "do-nothing", revenue-generating, bullshit-ass philosophy of theirs.

Do you want to win or do you want to trot out an inferior, aged team year after year.

Too bad Tim's contract is not up for renewal. The organization seemed more motivated to do whatever was necessary to win back when Tim was on a series of 3-year deals.

ploto
01-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I hate that arrogant, "do-nothing", revenue-generating, bullshit-ass philosophy of theirs.

Do you want to win or do you want to trot out an inferior, aged team year after year.

Too bad Tim's contract is not up for renewal. The organization seemed more motivated to do whatever was necessary to win back when Tim was on a series of 3-year deals.
Tim actually has a player option in 2008.

MannyIsGod
01-15-2007, 10:25 PM
If you don't think that Tim Duncan is playing complacent you haven't been paying attention.

Extra Stout
01-15-2007, 10:55 PM
If you don't think that Tim Duncan is playing complacent you haven't been paying attention.
If he understands that mgt. no longer is going to do what it takes to win, then perhaps he isn't either.

So you think he's married to the city and will re-sign no matter what Holt does or does not, or do you think he's still got some hunger and is ready to pinch a loaf right in Holt's face by bolting elsewhere?

That almost would be funny to watch Holt's assets turn to ashes, except that it would suck and I would be miserable.

MannyIsGod
01-15-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't think anything is a given, but I would be insanely suprised. He can make more money here and I doubt any other place is going to give him as good a shot at a ring. But when you factor in that he doesn't seem (and I make this point very precariously) to have the type of mentality to want to leave at this point in his career, then I'm pretty sure (99%) that he stays. But anything can happen.

Marcus Bryant
01-15-2007, 11:32 PM
You keep Tim Duncan by doing everything it takes to win from a mgmt perspective. I only see Duncan sandbagging it if he's not happy with what he's seen, which is rather possible.