PDA

View Full Version : arKansas loses OC...

MajorMike
01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
... to TULSA???!?!

Already 2 rumors about Mustain transfering that I've seen (one was E$PN - quote at end of story).

Arkansas' Malzahn Named Assistant Head Coach at Tulsa
Last Update: 1/15/2007 2:25:20 PM

Save/Share Story
digg reddit
newsvine Google
del.icio.us Yahoo!

(TULSA, Okla.) January 15 - University of Arkansas offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn was named assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at The University of Tulsa, Golden Hurricane Head Coach Todd Graham announced today.
Malzahn spent the 2006 season as the Arkansas offensive coordinator and receivers coach. The Razorbacks finished the campaign with a 10-4 record, SEC West Division Champions, ranked 15th nationally and had the nation's fourth-ranked rushing offense. Arkansas also ranked among the top-35 nationally in total offense and scoring offense.

Malzahn was named the Rivals.com National Offensive Coordinator of the Year in 2006.

"I'm excited to have Gus join our coaching staff," said Graham. "He has a great offensive mind and his no-huddle spread offense style is exactly what we want to employ at Tulsa.

"Together with Herb Hand from West Virginia we have added two coaches as co-offensive coordinators who were instrumental in their teams being among the top-15 teams in the nation in 2006 and their offenses among the NCAA's best," added Graham.

Hand, named to Tulsa's coaching staff yesterday, was the tight end coach and recruiting coordinator at West Virginia for the past six seasons.

Before moving to the college ranks, Malzahn spent 14 seasons as a successful Arkansas High School head coach, where he led five teams to the state championship game and won three titles.

Before his move to Arkansas, Malzahn was the head coach at Springdale (Ark.) High School for five years (2001-05). He led the Bulldogs to two state championship game appearances, 2002 and 2005. His 2005 team posted a 14-0 record, won the state's Class 5A championship, outscored its opponents 664-118 and was ranked among the top-10 teams in the country.

Before his stint at Springdale High, he coached five years at Shiloh Christian High School where he transformed that team into one of the most dynamic offensive prep squads in the nation. He led the Saints to back-to-back state championships in 1998 and 1999.

Malzahn began his coaching career in 1991 at Hughes High School, where he stayed for five seasons including the final four years as the head coach. In 1992, Malzahn became the head coach and in 1994 his team reached the state championship game.

Malzahn, 41, earned his bachelor's degree in physical education from Henderson State (Ark.) in 1990.

from E$PN.com

Malzahn arrived at Arkansas with much fanfare, and brought with him freshman quarterback Mitch Mustain, considered by some the nation's top player, and three other Springdale players. Some speculated there was a connection between Malzahn's hiring and the commitments.

But one of those players, wide receiver Damian Williams, transferred to Southern California after this season, displeased that Malzahn's no-huddle, spread attack was never unveiled.

"We are very appreciative of the many contributions Gus made to our staff and to our program during his tenure with the Razorbacks," Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt said. "I wish him nothing but the best both personally and professionally as he takes on his new role."

Several parents of the Springdale freshmen went to athletic director Frank Broyles in December to complain about their sons' roles in the Arkansas offense. Mustain's mother even put out a statement suggesting Malzahn should have control of the program.

Now, with Malzahn's departure, there will be speculation about Mustain's future. The quarterback lost his starting position to Casey Dick at the end of the season. And Tulsa is only 1½ hours from the town of Springdale.

Mustain's mother, Beck Campbell, said Monday that she's not sure what her son will do.

"This breaks my heart," Campbell said. "We're going to have to sit down and talk about it. Classes start tomorrow and I don't know what he'll do."

Brutalis
01-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Sad.

He left because of Houston Nutt. He's been fueding with him all season and then he leaves, no surprise.

Tulsa will run the spread no huddle offense, which Malzahn masters at. And Mustain is likely to go with him.

I'm closer and closer to becomming a darksider.

Our school has the some of the nations best facilities in every sport. Top of the line in everything. Just no good coaches to follow.

A lot of people are jumping ship here. I might join them until they fire Nutt.

Brutalis
01-15-2007, 10:23 PM
ps- It's Arkansas. We were years before Kansass.

Extra Stout
01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
ps- It's Arkansas. We were years before Kansass.
But your state's name is Freeeennnnnnchhhhhhh.

j-6
01-16-2007, 07:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2733190

LITTLE ROCK -- Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain, undefeated as a Razorbacks starter after a stellar high school career, has been given permission to transfer to another university, coach Houston Nutt said Tuesday.

The move came one day after offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, Mustain's high school coach, left to become assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa. Mustain and Malzahn joined the Razorbacks a year ago from Springdale High School.

Mustain asked for permission to transfer and Nutt appeared to be holding out hope Mustain might decide to stay with the team even after receiving his release.

"I don't know for sure where we are right now," Nutt said. "Naturally, I don't want him to go. I want him to stay here."

Mustain was the Parade magazine prep player of the year in 2005.

Nutt said he met with Mustain to talk about the freshman's future, but he wouldn't go into detail about what was said.

"I'd rather keep that confidential," Nutt said.

Mustain went 8-0 as a starter in 2006, helping Arkansas to a 10-4 season and a No. 15 national ranking.

But Mustain was benched in a November win over South Carolina, and he hardly played again until splitting time with starter Casey Dick in Arkansas' Capital One Bowl loss to Wisconsin.

Last month, parents of Mustain and two other freshmen met with athletic director Frank Broyles amid concerns that Malzahn didn't have enough control over the offense. One of the freshmen, receiver Damian Williams, has since transferred to Southern California, and now Mustain has asked for his release.

The third freshman was tight end Ben Cleveland. Nutt said Cleveland was in Kansas for a friend's funeral, so his status is unclear.

A recent book about Springdale's 2005 season attributed quotes critical of Nutt to Mustain. According to the book, Mustain questioned the sophistication of Arkansas' offense during the recruiting process. He also made an off-the-cuff comment after Nutt took credit for a play call following an Arkansas win. The quarterback said Arkansas "would have a better chance of getting me" if Nutt were fired.

Arkansas hired Malzahn after the 2005 season, and Mustain eventually signed with the Razorbacks. But Arkansas relied on its running game this year -- tailback Darren McFadden was the Heisman Trophy runner-up -- and the spread, no-huddle offense Malzahn used at Springdale never became a fixture.

The Razorbacks won 10 straight games at one point this season -- but the warm feelings from that stretch have been overshadowed lately. Arkansas lost three straight to end the season, and now Malzahn's abrupt departure has caused more turmoil.

Now, the other shoe has apparently dropped.

Nutt said he only wants players who want to remain at Arkansas.

"I've told all the players, if they want their release, we'll grant their release," Nutt said.