PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: For Spurs, a Monday for Maggette

Kori Ellis
01-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Buck Harvey: For Spurs, a Monday for Maggette

Web Posted: 01/15/2007 09:27 PM CST

Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011607.01D.1Dbuck.2bd6c14.html

Here's what I know about a notoriously selfish Clipper named Corey Maggette:

He wouldn't have turned the Spurs' loss in Chicago into a win. If he were traded here, he would become the only Spur to worry about or even use the word "touches." His basketball IQ would place him in remedial classes. And the Spurs would be lucky to get him.

Here's what I know about the possibility of a trade for Maggette going through:

After Monday, the odds went up.

The Clippers have been trying to trade him for a year. A deal is still not likely with the Spurs, mostly because the Clippers might find more in return for Maggette elsewhere. They see better options with Golden State, for example, where Mike Dunleavy continues to disappoint.

Monday played into this trade scenario, too, after Dunleavy ended with 18 points and 13 rebounds in a Warriors victory over, coincidentally, the Clippers. Either Don Nelson likes how Dunleavy responded to a recent scolding and wants to keep him, or Nelson hopes such a performance will help increase Dunleavy's trade value.

The Clippers' coach is certainly open to a deal. He happens to be Dunleavy's father, and daddy Dunleavy is also the one who has had issues with Maggette. One issue was repeated Monday.

Maggette, in that same game, was Dunleavy's equal statistically. But the Clippers lost, and it's a pattern. The Clippers were at their best last season when Maggette was injured.

The Spurs' staff has weighed this aspect, as well as others. Maggette is not a great 3-point shooter — though he couldn't have done worse than the Spurs on Monday — and he's more reactionary than smart.

"He's a headless horseman as a player," said one in Los Angeles. "He will run into charges, he will shoot when someone else is open. And the Clippers don't trust him on defense."

Sound like a Gregg Popovich kind of player?

Stephen Jackson had a sounder foundation than Maggette, which is why the Spurs still debate among themselves whether they would do this deal if offered. Today, they have a peaceful locker room, with a group that knows how to play with each other, and losing Brent Barry and Beno Udrih would change that.

But it's also a group that, on various days, looks its age. Monday had that appearance, with the younger Bulls jumping for blocks.

Maggette wouldn't have altered the outcome unless he also has a secret ability to inspire Tony Parker. Still, Monday was another loss to another good team — another sign they don't have enough.

Whatever is missing on the Spurs might not be available with a trade. But even as the Spurs see the flaws in Maggette, they see more in him than in others who are available.

He can get to the foul line, and he did Monday to shoot nine free throws. He can rebound, and he did Monday with 11. And he has a freakish, athletic body that could keep up with Josh Howard.

This is also part of his profile: He's focused, determined, hardworking, ambitious and not a bad guy. That's why the Spurs also wonder if Maggette would respond to Popovich's demands on defense. Glenn Robinson did, after all.

"'Selfish' is a scary word," said one in the organization, "but you can also use this quality to your advantage. One thing that made Malik Rose so good, for example, is that he wanted to score. He cut harder, ducked in harder, because he was hungry to get something for himself."

Maggette is that. He averaged more than 22 points a game a few years ago, and he beat Minnesota last week with a jumper with seconds left.

But even as a Spurs official says, "For us, boy, he could be an injection," he stops and gives the other side in mid-sentence. "The risk is, we wouldn't be sure what we are getting. Potentially, he could be a boom. In reality, maybe he creates problems."

But that was said before Monday, and here's what I know now:

The Spurs are closer to the sixth seed than the first.

Kori Ellis
01-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Weird article.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-16-2007, 01:21 AM
What point is he trying to get across?

timvp
01-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Good question.

:dizzy

T Park
01-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Buck goes off in more different directions than a Oliver Stone movie.

MannyIsGod
01-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Buck Harvey tries to be cryptic far too often, but I think the point in this article is plain as day: The Spurs have reservations about making a deal but those reservations are getting smaller with every loss like this where it becomes apparent this is not a title team. That means that they're far more likely to do what it takes to make the Magette deal a reality instead of just a possibility.

MannyIsGod
trying to justify us not getting maggette, when not too many people cared if we did or not.............strange.Thats not at all what he's saying. In fact he's saying the opposite.

timvp
Buck Harvey tries to be cryptic far too often, but I think the point in this article is plain as day: The Spurs have reservations about making a deal but those reservations are getting smaller with every loss like this where it becomes apparent this is not a title team. That means that they're far more likely to do what it takes to make the Magette deal a reality instead of just a possibility.

And this is news because?

T Park
01-16-2007, 01:32 AM
I do agree with him on one thing.

Cory Maggette prob doesn't make the a championship team.

MannyIsGod
01-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Because not all people who read his articles are as obsessed with the Spurs as us. But the reality is you can expect more articles like this till Magette is unavailable, the Spurs make a trade, or the trade deadline passes.

MannyIsGod
01-16-2007, 01:33 AM

Cory Maggette prob doesn't make the a championship team.I didn't get that from the article.

timvp
01-16-2007, 01:33 AM

Cory Maggette prob doesn't make the a championship team.

He didn't say that.

To me it looked like he just tried to waffle on the Maggette trade to fill up his word count.

T Park
01-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Whatever is missing on the Spurs might not be available with a trade

Id take that also as, get maggette you dont replace whats missing.

timvp
01-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Id take that also as, get maggette you dont replace whats missing.

Key word is "might".

timvp
01-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Because not all people who read his articles are as obsessed with the Spurs as us. But the reality is you can expect more articles like this till Magette is unavailable, the Spurs make a trade, or the trade deadline passes.

Yeah but Ludden already covered the "Maggette might or might not help" logic like five times already.

MannyIsGod
I've always disliked Harvey's writing style for this reason. He makes his articles seem way too damn deep. He tries to make each a 750 word riddle where the message is hidden right below the surface. It sucks. You're a sports columnist, write a damn straightforward sports column.

gilmor
very simple. He is saying that Spurs should deviate from the usual peaceful locker room scenarios and acquire Magette for the energy spark or alternative solution they so desperately need now. This is desperate times which call for desperate measures.

MannyIsGod
01-16-2007, 01:37 AM
I think its a Jay Cutler situation. Sure, maybe it blows up in our faces, but we're not going to win a title unless we do something or our team plays out of its mind (very unlikely) so just fucking do it already.

timvp
01-16-2007, 01:37 AM
very simple. He is saying that Spurs should deviate from the usual peaceful locker room scenarios and acquire Magette for the energy spark or alternative solution they so desperately need now. This is desperate times which call for desperate measures.

He says that but also says that it might be a mistake.

He should either pick a side or let Ludden give the AP style perspective.

MannyIsGod
01-16-2007, 01:38 AM
I think he's for it based on his last sentence in the piece.

T Park
01-16-2007, 01:39 AM
To me it looked like he just tried to waffle on the Maggette trade to fill up his word count.

Well, to his defense, he has to write an article, and theres nothing different to report on, so he has to put something.

timvp
01-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Well, to his defense, he has to write an article, and theres nothing different to report on, so he has to put something.

I apolgize to Buck for not starting a thread today.

:smokin

T Park
01-16-2007, 01:41 AM
I think hes neither for nor against. he just wants a trade to happen so he can write one of those in depth player bios.

T Park
01-16-2007, 01:42 AM
I apolgize to Buck for not starting a thread today.

:lol

Im sure he muttered "Fucking TIMVP" about a million times in the flight back from Chicago :lol

gilmor
01-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Yeah, but he is implying that the mistake will have to be overlooked for now. Because Spurs is close being the sixth seed unless some desperate measure is being put in place.

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2007, 01:50 AM
with or without maggot, we are still exiting in the 2nd round

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-16-2007, 01:51 AM
"The risk is, we wouldn't be sure what we are getting. Potentially, he could be a boom. In reality, maybe he creates problems.

But we know what we have in Beno and Brent - two scrubs who choke when the chips are down in a big game or the playoffs. We know they won't help, so fucking nut up and make the trade already and see what you get.

Kori Ellis
01-16-2007, 01:54 AM
What I didn't like about the vagueness is this.
The article is called "A Monday for Maggette" which should mean that he's saying that the Spurs needed Maggette in Monday's game.

However, he then says this:

Maggette wouldn't have altered the outcome unless he also has a secret ability to inspire Tony Parker.

Okay, so then he's saying that Maggette wouldn't have helped today.

But wait, now this:

Whatever is missing on the Spurs might not be available with a trade. But even as the Spurs see the flaws in Maggette, they see more in him than in others who are available.

Okay, now he's saying that whatever the Spurs need to start winning is probably not available but that Maggette is the best out there.

And then he follows it up with:

Here's what I know now:

The Spurs are closer to the sixth seed than the first.

Thanks. :lol

timvp
01-16-2007, 02:12 AM
Shaun Livingston twisted his ankle in today's game.

Beno to the rescue? :drunk

T Park
01-16-2007, 02:13 AM
:lol

All the slovenian brandy in the world I don't think would help with that.

Although Beno's recent scoring step up, today included, can't hurt.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 02:14 AM
We're closer to throwing in that pick.

T Park
01-16-2007, 02:22 AM
I don't think a first round pick seals the deal.

I may be nieve, but I think its gotta take wayy way more to get him.

Mr. Body
01-16-2007, 02:23 AM
I don't think a first round pick seals the deal.

I may be nieve, but I think its gotta take wayy way more to get him.

Yeah, you're 'nieve'. That's all they've been asking for, with Brent and Beno.

SenorSpur
01-16-2007, 02:25 AM
No one believes Maggette is some sort of savior. The Spurs need an immediate injection. Sure it's a risk. However I'll like what this team could become with Maggette more than what they currently are without him.

T Park
01-16-2007, 02:26 AM
That's all they've been asking for, with Brent and Beno.

Other than that one Johnny Ludden article, I haven't seen any more confirmation on that.

If it was what they wanted, you would've seen more confirmation from other sources of thats what the Clippers want, wanted, or offered up.

Mr. Body
01-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Other than that one Johnny Ludden article, I haven't seen any more confirmation on that.

If it was what they wanted, you would've seen more confirmation from other sources of thats what the Clippers want, wanted, or offered up.

The Clippers have said it themselves: veteran player, young talent, first round pick. Out of the mouth of their GM.

T Park
01-16-2007, 02:45 AM
I don't think that Barry and Udrih are good enough to qualify for either.

RonMexico
01-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Maggette is the most cartoonish-looking player in the NBA, I think - his arms are straight out of the NBA Showtime arcade game and his face is a quasi-Japanime drawing.

Spurs can't miss out on that kind of athletic and humerous interjection into the lineup

polandprzem
01-16-2007, 04:20 AM
Simple

The spurs suck with or without Magette in the lineup :drunk

Bruno
01-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Suns and Mavs are pleying better than Spurs for the moment.

A player like Maggette can really help us but Spurs' troubles can't only be solved by trades : Some players need to do something : Duncan must be less lazy, Udrih must play at his real level, Finley/Barry must hit their shots, Elson must start to understand defensive rotations...

Anyway, trade or no trade, I still think that Spurs have a good chance to win a ring in june.

Slinkyman
01-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Come playoff time I'd rather watch Maggette drive to the hoop then watch Finley chunk 3s. So if Maggette really is a possibility please do it and also give him all Finley's minutes while you're at it.

Mr. Body
01-16-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't think that Barry and Udrih are good enough to qualify for either.

Think what you want, but that's what they've asked for. You must think other teams are offering the moon. If the Spurs offered Barry, Beno, and their 2008 pick, Maggette would be on a plane to SAS.

ploto
01-16-2007, 10:55 AM
The Spurs would be much more willing to take that chance at Maggette is he didn't have 3 years left on his contract.

wildbill2u
01-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I think he was just trying to cover all the bases.

1.Magette has some skills we could use-toughness, rebounding, inside game
2. he has some flaws that are probably part of his makeup and can't be easily changed.
2(a) His flaws make him hard to work into the Spurs system.
3. We don't have the best trade bait out there so it may be academic
4. The trade would be a risk because of number 2.

In the end, he was subtly and cautiously approving the trade without actually saying pull the trigger, but he can always point out his downside comments if Magette doesn't work out and say "Who me?" :pctoss

SequSpur
01-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Buck Harvey and I are best friends.

FromWayDowntown
01-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I take from it that a Maggette deal is a possible maybe.

What I don't get is this: surely the Spurs front office realizes that it is unlikely that this group will be able to get through Dallas in a 7 game series. (ouch, it hurts to say that, still). We can't be sure how they'll match up with the Suns right now, given that we haven't seen the Spurs deal with a returned to nearly full strength Amare yet, but I suspect that many here share my view that the Spurs are likely to struggle with the Suns' athleticism. At a minimum, there are at least 2 teams in the conference that the Spurs aren't likely to beat in a playoff series. And at this point, the Spurs are going to probably have to beat one of them in the WCSF and the other in the WCF if they plan on winning another title. Good luck.

I don't understand, given all of that, why things like chemistry and ballhandling are viewed as potential deal-breakers. Do they plan on saying "well, we had a group that really got along well together," as they consider why they were run out in the 2nd round by Phoenix? Do they think we'll find solace in the fact that at least there weren't too many ball-handling turnovers along the way -- that it was just too much firepower that killed the Spurs and not mistakes?

I find both of those concerns to be rather ridiculous. Why not be bold, make a move and see what happens? Can it really get much worse (in a relative sense)? I'm not sure I understand the single-minded focus on Maggette. But whether it's Maggette or someone else with a similar skill set, the Spurs are in desparate need of that kind of player. Make that deal. If you need a ballhandler, the expiring contract of Eric Williams is available to send out for a role player who can handle.

Something has to change or the end of this sucker is upon us.

tlongII
01-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Buck Harvey can't be held accountable for what he writes if nobody understands it.

Mr. Body
01-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't understand how a guy can be "notoriously selfish" and also a good guy who his teammates like. Does he turn into a ball-fiending maniac the moment he steps on the court?

Que Gee
01-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Weird article.

I love the anonymous quotes from Spurs "officials." I mean, realistically there are probably "maybe" 3 people inside of the organization that would even have a "clue" or an inside look at "real" and not BS opportunities.

George Gervin's Afro
01-16-2007, 12:28 PM
At this point in the season we are first round fodder... no irrational thinking after one loss just accepting the fact that this team is not good enough to compete for a championship..

VaSpursFan
01-16-2007, 01:00 PM
wtf???? talk about waffling. this article was all over the place, saying a lot and nothing at the same time. :dizzy :dizzy

remingtonbo2001
01-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Buck Harvey and I are best friends.

Unless your name is Mary Jane I find this hard to imagine :smokin

rayray2k8
01-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Sounds like buck is lobbying against Maggette as a spur.

Marcus Bryant
01-16-2007, 03:08 PM
The Spurs could use a 4th scorer, someone to supplement the Big 3. Jack in '03 is the best example of that.

Ocotillo
01-16-2007, 03:38 PM
I believe Buck is reluctant to slam Spurs management too hard, see O'Keefe, Kevin. That being said my take is he is saying a half ass way, go get Maggette if you have a real shot.

itzsoweezee
01-16-2007, 04:12 PM
blaming maggette for the clippers poor performance this season is retarded. that entire team has regressed, from brand down to livingston. maggette is not to blame for that.