PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag

Kori Ellis
01-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Spurs Mailbag

Web Posted: 01/15/2007 10:04 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA01152007.WEBSpursMailbag.en.440fbf7d.html

Brent Barry hasn’t yet received an invitation to participate in the All-Star 3-point Shootout. But if he does, he’ll have a hard time saying no.

Barry said he’d like to have one more opportunity to become the first player to win both the dunk and 3-point contests. His famous white-men-can-jump free-throw line takeoff won him the dunk title as a rookie at the 1996 All-Star Game at the Alamodome.

Barry advanced to the second round of the 2003 3-point Shootout before losing to eventual champion Peja Stojakovic. He was scheduled to compete again in 2004, but had to skip the event after breaking his right hand.

Along with Bruce Bowen, Barry figures to be on the list of candidates the NBA considers. He ranked third in the league in 3-point accuracy as of Sunday.

“I think I’d probably go shoot if I got asked,” Barry said. “I’d just try and enjoy myself.

“I don’t know why guys would pass up an opportunity like that. It’s a great experience.”

Barry figures there will be more competition than usual to land an invite.

“I said at the beginning of the year I thought some of the statistical numbers would be astronomical because the All-Star Game was in Vegas,” he said. “I thought this year guys would be going crazy to get there.

“It’s definitely going to be the best well-attended (Players Association) meeting in the history of player meetings.”

Let’s open some mail ….

My question is, with all these injuries plaguing the Spurs, especially their bigger men, why haven’t they considered acquiring Chris Webber?

I believe Webber would be a key contribution to the Spurs’ roster, bringing more energy to the team. I know for a fact the Spurs are going to make the playoffs, but are they going to take it? Well, there’s a good possibility, but Dallas has been playing incredibly, so please GET WEBBER! –Lorenzo, Del Rio

Why did the Spurs not go after Chris Webber? –Raul, San Antonio

Why are y’all not interested in Webber? Y’all should be because y’all do need another big man in the lineup. –Mike Dieter, San Antonio
I also wanted the Spurs to sign Webber.

About five years ago.

I haven’t seen much from Webber the last two years that makes me believe he would have been of much help. Granted, he’s a great passer and could have played well off Tim in the high post. But haven’t the Spurs already cornered the market on aging 30-somethings?

The Spurs need to get younger and more athletic on the perimeter. They need someone who can defend. That’s not Webber. Unless, of course, you consider him athletic for being able to drag one leg up and down the court.

The Spurs flirted with Webber after the 2001 season while they were in negotiations with David Robinson. Through his representatives, Webber kept saying he was interested, but the Spurs, if I remember right, could never get him on the phone. That didn’t win him too many friends in the organization.

Even if the Spurs had decided to pursue him, I seriously doubt he would have signed with them instead of Detroit. Webber made it clear he wanted a commitment to playing time. Pop, as most everyone knows, doesn’t do guarantees.

The Spurs do have minutes at center to offer. But what if Webber couldn’t produce? What if he couldn’t keep pace in the up-tempo Western Conference?

Webber wouldn’t accept a reduced role in Philadelphia. Would San Antonio be any different?

That doesn’t mean I don’t think the Spurs could use some help along the frontline. But I’d think they would be more wise to pursue someone like Antonio McDyess if the Pistons decide to thin out their stable of big men.

Very concerned about Ginobili’s offense. He could get hot as a pistol and cold as a popsicle. He passes too much and he doesn't drive to the basket as he used to.

He is such an amazing player but he is not consistent like he used to. Does he have health problems? He is not the old Ginobili. I wish him well. We need him badly.

Let's hope he will be ready during the playoffs. –Enrique Carrillo, Weslaco

No, he doesn’t have health problems, aside from the usual 347 quadriceps contusions. But I agree that he’s not the old Ginobili: I think he’s better.

His shooting is still streaky, but, to me, he’s played slightly above his All-Star level of two years ago. Among the Spurs, he’s the player I’d be least worried about.

Duncan's (free throw) release looks so unnatural at the stripe. Why not move him back a foot, within the semi-circle, and let him fire away with his natural stroke. Isn't it true you don't have to stand at the stripe but can move anywhere within the “arc?”

This worked for me. Seems counterintuitive … move farther away from the basket, but psychologically it might change the shot from a free throw to just another top of the key jumper which he is so good at. –Walt, Houston

I actually think Tim’s free-throw release looks extremely natural. After watching him flat-line foul shots for the better part of six years now, the only thing unnatural would be seeing him make a few for a change.

You’re right that players are allowed to shoot behind the line. Nick Van Exel shot a couple feet back. But I don’t think that or anything else will help Tim.

Face it: He sucks when it comes to free throws. And he’s obviously incapable – or unwilling – to do what it takes to fix his stroke.

Here’s my advice. Treat Tim’s trips to the foul line like you would bad turbulence on a flight. Close your eyes, take a deep breath and pretend it never happened.

You’ll feel much better. I promise.

Why don’t the Spurs just pull the trigger and get Corey Maggette? They could use the extra offense. –Albert, Fort Worth

Because it’s not the Spurs’ call. It’s the Clippers'.

I've heard the Spurs are in the hunt for Corey Maggette. I'm a little skeptical about getting him. In my opinion, although hurt right now, wouldn't a player like Rashard Lewis in Seattle be a better investment?

He is the same type of player as Maggette except 3 inches taller and a better outside shooter. Please tell me the Spurs aren't in panic mode and are exploring every avenue before they jump for a player like Maggette. –Joseph, Dallas

Why stop at Lewis? I personally think LeBron James would be a good fit. He’s young, long and athletic. He can shoot the three. He can handle the ball.

Sounds just like what the Spurs need.

Here’s the thing about trades: If you can’t think of a single reason why a team would want to trade for a specific player then that team probably can’t either.

So while Lewis may indeed sound like someone the Spurs could use, I don’t think they have much of anything – outside their Big Three – that would entice the Sonics into making a deal.

They do not have to make any trades if they make Tim DUNCAN get off his butt and play some defense. When he is in the lineup, it’s four against five. I am 53 years old and I can play better defense and shoot way better than he does.

E-mail me back and tell me what you think. –Morris Buckner, Crockett

I think you’re one spry 53 year old. And I’d definitely put my money on you in a free-throw contest.

Please tell me that the questions you answer in your mailbag are the worst of the worst and not a real sampling of Spurs fan's knowledge of their team. I've always thought we had some of the better fans in the league, but some of the mail you get. Man... –Garrett, San Antonio

Please tell me that you make up these questions as well as the names and hometowns of these people. Some of these people are just ridiculous. –Trey, Kerrville

I wish I could claim creative genius, but I can’t. And, trust me, these are usually the best of the bunch. It’s pure, unfiltered entertainment here at the Mailbag.

A while ago you asked, “If we trusted the Spurs to come up with an alternate road jersey?” Well, do you think it would be a good idea if the Spurs held a citywide contest?

I agree that we do need a new look. Don’t you? –Sonny, San Antonio

First off, I don’t think the Spurs need a new look. Then again, you’re asking someone whose wardrobe consists of two colors: black and almost-black. Aside from that, I don’t trust myself to pick out anything that matches.

But most importantly, after more than three months of fielding Mailbag queries from the local population, I can assure you I have become strictly opposed to putting any major decision in the hands of the public. Uniform designs included.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Am I the only one who dislike's these "Mailbag" articles? They seem like a poor Bill Simmons imitation

MannyIsGod
01-16-2007, 01:34 AM
I like that he ripped Tim Duncan. Ludden has actually said some sweet shit in these articles when it comes to ripping the team. He's done that far more this year than ever before.

timvp
01-16-2007, 01:38 AM
I like that he ripped Tim Duncan. Ludden has actually said some sweet shit in these articles when it comes to ripping the team. He's done that far more this year than ever before.

I like how he ripped on San Antonio. :smokin

Buddy Holly to resopnd in 3 ... 2 ...

T Park
01-16-2007, 01:46 AM
:lol

kris
01-16-2007, 07:46 AM
I love these mailbag articles. He just says what he thinks without holding back. He also seems kinda pissed. I don't like his game recaps, but this I can read.

VaSpursFan
01-16-2007, 12:42 PM
the critique of duncan's free throws is dead on. timmy's pigeon toed stance at the line is horrible, he shoots with absolutley no arc and he takes too freaking long to shoot it. he can hit that foul line extended jumper because he reacts rather than think bout it.

when he gets to the line, he thinks too much. it's probably wreaking havoc on his mind (elbow tight, release at apex, fish hook follow through). he needs to take 2 to 3 dribbles and let her rip. the longer he thinks about it, the more he psychs himself out.