PDA

View Full Version : Interesting story after Chicago disaster...

Big Shot Rob
01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
BY AL HAMNIK
[email protected]

CHICAGO | Spurs coach Gregg Popovich spotted Scott Skiles holding court for 15 reporters outside the Bulls' dressing room prior to Monday afternoon's tip-off.

At the time, "Pop" was being interviewed by two writers. He stepped back, pointed toward Skiles at the end of the hallway, and laughed. "Hey, they haven't won three NBA titles. Over here, over here. Gee, that's all the respect we get? Oh, well."

As another reporter scurried by to join the Skiles gabfest, Popovich ran a few steps behind, playfully pleading for him to come back.

The 1966 Merrillville grad has maintained his sharp wit and sense of humor while leading San Antonio to NBA championships in 1999, 2003 and 2005 and compiling a 545-263 record in 10 wildly successful seasons.

But after Monday's 99-87 stomping by the Bulls, Popovich could barely grin watching the Spurs' four-game win streak end.

"The Bulls did a great job today. They came with a lot of energy and a lot of aggressiveness," Popovich said. "I thought (Kirk) Hinrich and (Ben) Gordon really created a lot of offense, not just for themselves, but for everybody. We didn't handle them very well."

Hinrich's 23 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists led the Bulls (22-17). Gordon added 20 points.

San Antonio (27-12) got 22 and 21 points, respectively, from Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan, the latter also grabbing 16 rebounds. But it was point guard Tony Parker who found a place in Popovich's doghouse with just six points and two assists in 27 wasted minutes.

The Bulls kept Parker from penetrating, where he's at his very best, and took away his outside game as well. Was he hurt?

"It would've made more sense if he was hurt, but he's fine, which is not the way that he played if you catch my drift," said Popovich, gritting his teeth.

Did the Bulls do anything differently against the Spurs' second-leading scorer? "Not a damn thing," Popovich replied. "He came up with that game all by himself. Very 'creative.' He couldn't do that twice, hopefully."

The Spurs shot .395, gave up 17 points off turnovers, and 20 on second-chance points.

"It was probably my worst game of the season. I had nothing going," Parker said.

Chicago was without center Ben Wallace (back) for the second straight game and guard Chris Duhon (one-game suspension).

"We're going on maybe a month now where we're playing pretty solid defense. We're not having as many overall breakdowns," Skiles said. "Down the road, it's going to pay off at some point."

"I'd rather win than lose, but I'm gonna go get a glass of wine, have a good dinner and hope my wife hasn't left me since the game ended," Popovich said. "You guys got to take this more seriously. This loss stuff is hard on people. People's lives and careers depend on these games."

Pop was smiling now, the kidder.

spurschick
01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
I appreciate Pop putting it all in perspective. :toast

Gummi
01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Best and funniest coach in the league.

dknights411
01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I wonder if Pop was thinking about this board when he said that this loss stuff is hard on some people. ;)

NBA Junkie
01-16-2007, 07:20 PM
I'll never forget how ballistic Popovich went on the sidelines after Trenton Hassell grabbed that offensive rebound in the Wolves recent OT win over the Spurs, then proceeded to play keep away to avoid the intentional foul and drain the remaining time off the clock. :lol

Rick Von Braun
01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
I disagree many times with Pop's offensive schemes, in particular small ball, but he is a funny and intelligent man.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-16-2007, 07:40 PM
yeah, that's one of the things I like about Pop. He has an admirable attitude.

boutons_
01-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Pop's looks at NBA life through rosé-colored wine glasses.

Budkin
01-16-2007, 09:44 PM
I wonder if Pop has ever actually looked on this forum? Probably only when someone showed him what Drama Queens we all were, haha. :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
I wonder if Pop has ever actually looked on this forum? Probably only when someone showed him what Drama Queens we all were, haha.

This Forum has a very exaggerated reaction. Before I went on here, I never really thought much of losses in regular season, but expected the Spurs to turn it up when need be.

Everything's under a microscope on here. :lol Though I guess it's fun or funny when you realize how schizophrenic it is between win streaks and losses.

angel_luv
01-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Pop's looks at NBA life through rosé-colored wine glasses.

:lol

coopdogg3
01-16-2007, 10:33 PM
I guess 6 titles still buys you some love.

duncanchick21
01-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Pop you are funny dude!!! He is the official comic relief of the team!! :blah

dknights411
01-16-2007, 11:28 PM
This Forum has a very exaggerated reaction. Before I went on here, I never really thought much of losses in regular season, but expected the Spurs to turn it up when need be.

Everything's under a microscope on here. :lol Though I guess it's fun or funny when you realize how schizophrenic it is between win streaks and losses.

Yeah. We must be the most unforgiving fans in the entire NBA. :lol

SenorSpur
01-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Pop you are funny dude!!! He is the official comic relief of the team!! :blah

While Pop is cracking his sarcastic wit, the rest of us can look at the decrepit average age and condition of this current roster for our own Comic Relief. :lol

Or perhaps you can reach for the Kleenex. :cry

leemajors
01-17-2007, 12:01 AM
While Pop is cracking his sarcastic wit, the rest of us can look at the decrepit average age and condition of this current roster for our own Comic Relief. :lol

Or perhaps you can reach for the Kleenex. :cry

are you tired of posting the same thing all the time yet?

SenorSpur
01-17-2007, 12:02 AM
are you tired of posting the same thing all the time yet?

Mind your own. Don't worry about what I post

nobodi_home
01-17-2007, 04:10 AM
It's just a basketball game. Pop has the right attitude. You can't win 'em all, no matter what team you coach. Just don't work that way. I bet Pop doesn't ask any of his assistants to check up on how Rasho is doing in Tornoto. That would certainly wipe that playful grin off his face, no??

JPB
01-17-2007, 04:22 AM
It's the kind of attitude that makes me even more appreciate the Spurs.

George Gervin's Afro
01-17-2007, 11:09 AM
It's just a basketball game. Pop has the right attitude. You can't win 'em all, no matter what team you coach. Just don't work that way. I bet Pop doesn't ask any of his assistants to check up on how Rasho is doing in Tornoto. That would certainly wipe that playful grin off his face, no??

We have won 3 NBA titles..I think people tend to forget that. We can't win very year but when we blow opportunities like last year that makes it much worse. My only hope is that we have an opportunity to win the championship unfortunately this team doesn't seem to be up to the task. Hey it could be worse we could be Knick fans..

go to hell mermaid man.. :lol

spurschick
01-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I bet Pop doesn't ask any of his assistants to check up on how Rasho is doing in Tornoto. That would certainly wipe that playful grin off his face, no??

Is nobodi_home an alias for ploto or zeleni?

Obstructed_View
01-17-2007, 04:40 PM
still a loser
Did a fucking Knicks fan just post that? Comic gold! :lol :lol :lol