PDA

View Full Version : The Rocket wins his 7th Cy Young

Jimcs50
11-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Clemens goes from retirement to Cy Young

Ronald Blum / Associated Press
Posted: 3 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) - Roger Clemens easily won his record seventh Cy Young Award after putting off retirement and being about as dominant as ever - even at age 42.

The Rocket received 23 of 32 first-place votes and 140 points in balloting released Tuesday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America to win the NL Cy Young for the first time after capturing six Cy Youngs in the American League.

He's the oldest Cy Young winner. Gaylord Perry was 40 when he won the NL honor in 1978.

Clemens retired after pitching for the New York Yankees in the 2003 World Series, then changed his mind and signed with his hometown Houston Astros and went 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA and 218 strikeouts. Currently in Japan with a touring major league all-star team, he said last week he hasn't decided whether he will pitch in 2005.

Arizona's 41-year-old Randy Johnson, second to Clemens with five Cy Youngs, finished second in the voting with eight first-place votes and 97 points. The Big Unit went 16-14 with a 2.60 ERA and a major league-leading 290 strikeouts - Arizona scored two runs or fewer in 17 of his 35 starts.

Houston's Roy Oswalt, who went 20-10 to lead the NL in wins, was third with 19 points, followed by San Francisco's Jason Schmidt with 13.

Clemens won three Cy Youngs with Boston (1986-87, 1991), two with Toronto (1997-98) and one with the New York Yankees (2001). He is the first player to win BBWAA awards with four teams, and the first to win eight awards - he was the AL MVP in 1986.

With a 328-164 record, Clemens is 10th on the career wins list, and his 4,317 strikeouts are second to Nolan Ryan's 5,714.

He signed with the expressed intent of helping the Astros reach the World Series for the first time, but Houston fell one win short. Clemens couldn't hold a 2-0 lead against St. Louis in Game 7 of the NL championship series, when Albert Pujols hit a tying double in the sixth inning, and Scott Rolen followed with a two-run homer.

Clemens earned a $100,000 bonus for winning the award, while Johnson got $150,000 for finishing second. Oswalt and Schmidt earned bonuses of $25,000 each.

Jimcs50
11-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Houston's Roy Oswalt, who went 20-10 to lead the NL in wins, was third with 19 points, followed by San Francisco's Jason Schmidt with 13.

Yeah tlong, Schmidt was going to beat our Roger. :rolleyes

tlongII
11-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Next year.

tlongII
11-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Have you received your $20 yet?

Jimcs50
11-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Have you received your $20 yet?

No, I have not gotten it yet. Did you send it?

tlongII
11-09-2004, 03:15 PM
No, I have not gotten it yet. Did you send it?

Heck no! LOL!

I need to go to a strip club first and get twenty ones!

Jimcs50
11-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Heck no! LOL!

I need to go to a strip club first and get twenty ones!

I will not dance for you to get my money.....so just forget aboutit.

tlongII
11-09-2004, 03:32 PM
I will not dance for you to get my money.....so just forget aboutit.

Don't worry, I'll pay you. I'm just lazy.....and cheap.

King
11-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Clemens winning it over Johnson was ridiculous.

Throw out the W/L records for a second. Johnson's rankings are first.

Games Started - 1st; Clemens - 13th
Innings Pitched - 2nd; Clemens - 8th
Strike outs - 1st; Clemens - 5th
ERA - 2nd; Clemens - 5th (Peavy was first, but with nearly 80+ innings pitched LESS than Johnson)
K/BB - 2nd; Clemens - 13th
K/9 - 2nd; Clemens - 7th
WHIP 1 1st; Clemens - 8th
BAA - 1st; Clemens - 4th
OBPA - 1st; Clemens - 7th
SLGA - 1st; Clemens - 3rd
OPSA - 1st; Clemens - 3rd
Quality Starts - 1st; Clemens - 5th
Complete Games - 4th; Clemens - 40th (4 CG's for Johnson; 0 for Clemens)
Shutouts - 3rd; Clemens - 29th (2 for Johnson; 0 for Clemens)

The only thing Roger had was the record, and that's largely because Houston gave him run support. In games Randy had over two runs of support, he was 13-2.

Jimcs50
11-09-2004, 06:08 PM
No player in history ever won with only 16 wins...it ain't gonna happen...accept it.

King
11-09-2004, 10:27 PM
And those extra two wins were enough to solidify Rocket's case, although his numbers were nowhere near as good as Johnson's? I know it's tough to give it to a guy with a 16-14 record, but the award didn't go to the best pitcher. It went to the guy who pitched the best with the best offensive support.

Jimcs50
11-09-2004, 11:04 PM
And those extra two wins were enough to solidify Rocket's case, although his numbers were nowhere near as good as Johnson's? I know it's tough to give it to a guy with a 16-14 record, but the award didn't go to the best pitcher. It went to the guy who pitched the best with the best offensive support.

Look at the losses, he would have had more wins, had the bullpen not blown their saves so many times for him. Roger took a team to the next level...Arizona found out that they need Schilling to win, not Johnson.

samikeyp
11-10-2004, 10:14 AM
so Roger Clemens did nothing to deserve it? :rolleyes

Spurminator
11-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Should the Cy Young be given to the "best" pitcher, or to the "most outstanding" pitcher?

There is a fine line of difference. Randy's raw numbers were better, but Clemens chalked up a higher number of wins (with comparable individual statistics) on a team that made it to the Playoffs. I've never been a fan of handing out the award based on wins... but I'm also not a fan of giving it to a pitcher on a horrible team unless he's the only arguable candidate, which in this case, Johnson was not.

King
11-10-2004, 12:49 PM
so Roger Clemens did nothing to deserve it? :rolleyes

I didn't say anything like that. Roger's numbers were good, but look at the numbers of the guy he beat out...

1st in games started, 2nd in innings pitched, 1st in Strikeouts, 2nd in ERA, 2nd in K/BB, 2nd in K's per 9 innings, 1st in WHIP, 1st in BAA, 1st in OBPA, 1st in SLGA, 1st in quality starts, 4th in Complete Games, and 3rd in shutouts.

There are only six catagories where ANYBODY was better than him. And in four of those, there was only one person.

Now, Roger was 13th, 8th, 5th, 5th, 13th, 7th, 8th, 4th, 7th, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 40th, and 29th in those catagories, respectively. Not bad, considering the number of pitchers there are to compete with, but they're not even in the same ballpark as exhibit A.

Roger had a better record than Johnson. 18 wins to 14. 4 losses to ten. Because Johnson couldn't get more than two runs in support in nine of those. Jim, you use the excuse that Rocket would've had more wins if the pen didn't blow them. Well, Johnson would've had more wins AND less losses if his offense could make contact with the ball.

Roger's a good story. Boy comes out of retirement to pitch for the hometown team, and plays a big part in an improbable playoff run. But he wasn't the better pitcher this year, statistically. He had the better team.

I know that the W/L record is what gave Roger the award over Johnson, but if it's based on wins, give it to Roy Oswalt....who had more wins than Rocket, and comparable numbers....with that same powerhouse offense outscoring opposition, and not needing him to be perfect to win. (Which Johnson was on May 18 against Atlanta.)

I think if awards are going to be given out to individual players, base them on individual accomplishments. Team awards are championships.

Jimcs50
11-10-2004, 03:55 PM
The Big Unit will be just fine. He actually couldhave lost to teammate Schilling a time or two also, so it all evens out. I am sure he is crying all the way to the bank. :)

JFK
11-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Roger is just a badass I bet this one stings too stupid George Steinbrenner

what a dumbass Kevin Brown was a great replacement for Clemens huh?