PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news re Jason Kidd...

Big Shot Rob
01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Nets reportedly put Kidd on trading block
Personal problems may play role in team's willingness to part with star

Al Bello / Getty Images
Jason Kidd has had a league-leading seven triple-doubles this season.
View related photos

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 5:21 p.m. PT Jan 16, 2007
Is Jason Kidd on the trading block? According to the Chicago Tribune, the New Jersey Nets are willing to part with their star point guard, who is brilliant on the court but has been beset with personal problems.

The report said one league general manager contacted the Nets to inquire about the availability of Vince Carter. The Nets countered by asking if he'd be interested in dealing for Kidd instead.

Kidd is having a productive season, averaging 14.0 points, 9.4 assists and 8.4 rebounds a game. He has also been good on defense, with 1.9 steals per game, and leads the league with seven triple-doubles.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But he has been making headlines with his personal life, as both he and his wife have filed domestic-violence restraining orders against each other.

Last week, the attorney of Kidd's wife Joumana, Raoul Felder, said that “there was a lot, a lot of physical violence.”

ALSO ON THIS STORY
Discuss: Sound off on NBA message boards

A week ago, police served Joumana Kidd with a restraining order obtained by her husband. The 33-year-old NBA star has already filed for divorce from his wife of 10 years, citing “extreme cruelty” and saying that he was an abused spouse.

Under the protection order filed by Jason Kidd, he must pick up his children curbside for visits so that Joumana does not violate the order, attorneys said.

The Kidds, married in 1997, were involved in a domestic violence matter six years ago when he played for the Phoenix Suns.

In that incident, Jason Kidd was arrested in January 2001 after Joumana told police he slapped her in the face during an argument about feeding their son, who is now 8. The couple also have 4-year-old twin daughters.

Slide show: The Week in Sports Pictures

• Week in Sports Pictures
Bush and Brady win big, golfing in the snow, and more.

Kidd pleaded guilty to spousal abuse, was fined $200 and ordered to take anger-management training.

In the dissolution papers Kidd filed last week, however, he painted a detailed portrait of Joumana Kidd as a vitriolic, jealous and paranoid wife who suspected her husband was cheating and who was prone to public outbursts and threats.

ducks
01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
kidd is not the answer
they have no shot with kidd ever winning a title

BeerIsGood!
01-16-2007, 09:56 PM
The Spurs don't have anything the Nets would want for Kidd

At least nothing the Spurs would part with

ducks
01-16-2007, 09:58 PM
kidd makes like 18 million
basically the same amount as duncan

Duncanoypi
01-16-2007, 09:58 PM
No Kidds allowed....

ChumpDumper
01-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Can he guard Dirk?

Leetonidas
01-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Jason Kidd backing up TP would be friggin' sweet though. :smokin

rayray2k8
01-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Fuck it.
Lets get him and KG.
Im sure those teams will take Eric Willaims, Beno and Barry in just one deal......

BeerIsGood!
01-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Fuck it.
Lets get him and KG.
Im sure those teams will take Eric Willaims, Beno and Barry in just one deal......

I'd like to see the luxury tax on that one

Fillmoe
01-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Sacramento is home to crazy ass wives.... Jackie Christie anyone....... we have no problem taking kidd and his crazy ass wife jewmana

baseline bum
01-16-2007, 10:13 PM
He wouldn't be too far off from being the best rebounder on our team.

Marcus Bryant
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
You can't get Kidd unless you give up one of your starting guards or Jason sodomized Jumanji with a broom handle.

rayray2k8
01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I'd like to see the luxury tax on that one
Thats something only the Yankees would be able to do.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
01-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Jason Kidd will be our new starting center :downspin:

Louie Vega
01-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Forget Jason! Give me Joumana!

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos/2003-06-04-jourmana.jpg
YUMMY!!!!

Budkin
01-17-2007, 12:51 AM
I bet you he goes to the Lakers.

T-Pain
01-17-2007, 12:51 AM
kidd had his chance to join this elite team, the spurs shouldnt take him

Budkin
01-17-2007, 12:54 AM
If he wants to be our backup fine, if not then no thanks.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Fuck him, he had his chance.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 01:19 AM
I bet you he goes to the Lakers.
Lakers would be fools to go after him. $18 Million is no joke, not easy to match. If he gets bought out then that's another story.

BTW is Steve Francis getting bought out?

Leetonidas
01-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Hawks need him.

BradLohaus
01-17-2007, 01:38 AM
Too bad they realized this after getting Vince Carter and vastly overpaying the vastly overrated Richard Jefferson. The Nets should have blown up the Kidd era after letting KMart go. But baby, they were born to rrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!

gregpschneid
01-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Tony for Kidd

The Truth #6
01-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Tony for Kidd

I don't think Tony Massenburg is on the team anymore. Great idea though!

rayray2k8
01-17-2007, 02:25 AM
I don't think Tony Massenburg is on the team anymore. Great idea though!
:lol

D-rob fan
01-17-2007, 02:47 AM
i wonder had the sixers waited, if they couldve gotten kidd for iverson or if the sixers would've even wanted kidd.

polandprzem
01-17-2007, 03:05 AM
If the Nets want a rebuild I would give them Finley Bowen and Horry anyday.

BIG IRISH
01-17-2007, 06:29 AM
HOLY SHEET, I hope nope not but according to David Dupree :rolleyes
NBA

Wednesday, January 10, 12:00 PM ET
Memphis, Tn: Hows it going double D ? I have a question about the Grizz and the Nets. My two favorite teams. (I know, I know) Any word on who the Grizz have in mind for the next coach ? Plus, I heard a rumor about the Nets trading J. Kidd.... Where ?
David DuPree: Don't be surprised if the Grizz dip into the college ranks for a big name. Kidd can be had for the right price and Cleveland, San Antonio and Minnesota are very interested. Stay tuned.

http://transcripts.usatoday.com/Chats/transcript.aspx?c=1008

:bang :bang :bang
I would want a lot of 1st round picks for several years to take him.

mountainballer
01-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Wednesday, January 10, 12:00 PM ET
Memphis, Tn: Hows it going double D ? I have a question about the Grizz and the Nets. My two favorite teams. (I know, I know) Any word on who the Grizz have in mind for the next coach ? Plus, I heard a rumor about the Nets trading J. Kidd.... Where ?
David DuPree: Don't be surprised if the Grizz dip into the college ranks for a big name. Kidd can be had for the right price and Cleveland, San Antonio and Minnesota are very interested. Stay tuned.

I wonder, if he has any informations, or if he just remembers, that the Spurs once wanted him badly and assumes that this is still the case.

of course it is very very doubtfull, that the Spurs could offer any package, the Nets would want, except ONE that is including Tony.
(like Tony+E.Williams+Barry, to make the numbers work. for Kidd+ a younger player, maybe Boone)

and would this make the Spurs significantly better? doubtfull. (and I am a big Kidd fan, who still thinks he is a premium player in this league).

any scenario, that adds Kidd without give away on the the bigger contracts means, that Spurs will be over the lux tax threeshold for some 10 million. in other words: Kidd would cost the Spurs 30 million per season. as good as Kidd is, for such numbers the Spurs could also somehow aquire (overpayed) players, who fill the needs and would cause more of an improvement.

edit: the last days there were rumors around, that the Jazz might talk about trading AK47. he is as much out of our price range like Kidd is, but he would IMO improve this team more than Kidd would.

Streakyshooter08
01-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Well, thats a surprise... Kidd is playing awesome but who do you give up? They won't trade Tony and TD. That leaves Manu, but the Nets would not need him... I think it is almost impossible getting him here without giving up one of the big 3 due to salary problems... won't happen...

MI21
01-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Kidd would probably be a better small ball PF than anyone else on the Spurs roster :lol

RogerIsEatingASandwich
01-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Kidd would probably be a better small ball PF than anyone else on the Spurs roster :lol

Sad but true, Kidd rebounds wayy better than Finley or Barry..

MI21
01-17-2007, 07:48 AM

or Horry or Bonner or Elson or Bonner or Oberto or Parker or Udrih or Ginobili or Bowen..

smeagol
01-17-2007, 07:50 AM
He brings youth!

JPB
01-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Maybe it has something to do with his defense. If he'd stay in front of his guy or would position himself better on defense he wouldn't be in position to rebound so often.
Really, concentrating so much on rebouding for a PG can mean you don't make your job on the perimeter or against penetrations and that you're late or you don't care enough so all it remains for you is taking care of the rebound.

mffl89
01-17-2007, 08:15 AM
^^^ Kidd is a really good perimeter defender and rebounder. I wish Harris would be something like that.

JPB
01-17-2007, 08:26 AM
^^^ Kidd is a really good perimeter defender and rebounder. I wish Harris would be something like that.

Not in my books.

Texas_Ranger
01-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Barrry, Finley and Beno for Kidd and Nachbar.

2Cleva
01-17-2007, 10:33 AM
LA could make a run for Kidd.

Kwame, Mihm, McKie and Smush for Kidd works. Or Mihm, McKie, Radmanovic, Shammond, and Smush as well. NJ gets lots of cap relief.

ploto
01-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Don't be surprised if the Spurs are actually interested in Kidd and Nachbar. To take Kidd's salary the Spurs would need to get someone else along with him. The Spurs have a lot of expiring or short-term contracts to give up for the Nets salary dump. Plus, the Nets need a big so I would not be surprised to include one of them, too.

I would love to see Spurs fans when Beno finally gets traded-- but in a trade for Nachbar!!! They'll never get rid of the Slovenians!

AFBlue
01-17-2007, 11:34 AM
The Spurs wouldn't trade Duncan, and the Nets want immediate help on the frontline...so I doubt a deal gets done.

The Pacers could work out an O'Neal for Kidd swap with filler contracts to match it up.

rayray2k8
01-17-2007, 11:39 AM
The Spurs are over the cap, and their incoming salaries are greater than 125% plus $100,000 of their outgoing salaries. They need to cut $9,265,500 from the incoming trade value to make this trade successful.

Sorry... Try again.
There is such a thing as a salary cap.

As for the rest of you.
You can try your "fantasy trades" here.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=42~242~2448~429~1723&teams=17~17~17~24~24

And do try to come up with some thing reasonable.

wildbill2u
01-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Hawks need him.
It would be a shame if he were traded to a cellar dweller for the rest of his career.

Most of the teams that need him--and can afford him-- have absolutely no shot at the championship. I doubt the Nets would want to trade him to an EAST team.

The Lakers market puts them in the position of no worries about the luxury tax. Put him on the Lakers next to Kobe and the Lakers begin a new dynasty for three years.

If I'm the Clippers GM, I take him just to protect my future hopes.

Streakyshooter08
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
It seems almost impossible getting Kidd without giving up one of the big 3 because of the salary...

One of the few trades that actually worked is:

Williams/Barry/ Horry/ Oberto (and Udrih) for Kidd/ Ilic (and Boone)

but that is VERY very unlikely to happen... I would not do it.

That leaves you with:

Kidd/ Parker/ Vaughn
Manu/ White
Bowen/ Finley
TD/ Bonner/ Boone
Elson/Ilic/ Butler

Texas_Ranger
01-17-2007, 11:50 AM
^^That's right. So it looks like we will not get him.
But still I would like to get Boki from the Nets. He is not so old and we need a new SF.

rayray2k8
01-17-2007, 11:50 AM
It seems almost impossible getting Kidd without giving up one of the big 3 because of the salary...
uh yea.
So this pretty much closes the thread. :lol

AFBlue
01-17-2007, 11:52 AM
It would be a shame if he were traded to a cellar dweller for the rest of his career.

Hawks have cap space, but if the Nets are looking for legit frontline players, they won't find any in Atlanta. Beyond that, the Hawks probably won't take on salary when the ownership situation is in flux.

As an area resident though, it would be great to see a Kidd for one or two of the tweeners (Smith/Childress/Williams).

The Lakers market puts them in the position of no worries about the luxury tax. Put him on the Lakers next to Kobe and the Lakers begin a new dynasty for three years.

Problem is what the Lakers can offer. Kwame is injured and overpaid, Radmanovic is soft and overpaid, and I doubt they give up Bynum. Besides Odom, what do the Lakers have to make a deal?

If I'm the Clippers GM, I take him just to protect my future hopes.

Again, no frontline help outside of Kaman, who you could argue is drastically underperforming relative to his new contract.

Marcus Bryant
01-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Obviously the Spurs wouldn't be willing to give up either of their starting guards for Kidd and obviously if they did acquire Kidd then Parker would be gone. The only way the Spurs could trade for Kidd is if the Nets are looking for a salary dump and would be willing to take back a couple of expiring contracts plus picks plus rights to some of their Euros. A long shot, as someone else would be able to put together a more attractive option.

SequSpur
01-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Tony for Kidd

Are you going to PM me again about your basketball knowledge? You are obviously lacking.

smdanss
01-26-2007, 10:42 PM
kidd makes like 18 million
basically the same amount as duncan
18 mil per year for a 34 years old player? Kidding? :nope :nope

Russ
01-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Laker fans and media think Kidd could be the final piece in a championship squad.