PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas might lose Mustain..

TheTruth
01-16-2007, 09:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2733190

Nutt: Mustain can leave Arkansas
Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK -- Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain, undefeated as a Razorbacks starter after a stellar high school career, has been given permission to transfer to another university, coach Houston Nutt said Tuesday.

The move came one day after offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, Mustain's high school coach, left to become assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa. Mustain and Malzahn joined the Razorbacks a year ago from Springdale High School.

Mustain asked for permission to transfer and Nutt appeared to be holding out hope Mustain might decide to stay with the team even after receiving his release.

"I don't know for sure where we are right now," Nutt said. "Naturally, I don't want him to go. I want him to stay here."

Mustain was the Parade magazine prep player of the year in 2005.

Nutt said he met with Mustain to talk about the freshman's future, but he wouldn't go into detail about what was said.

"I'd rather keep that confidential," Nutt said.

Nutt admitted he doesn't remember many instances of players changing their minds after being released.

Mustain went 8-0 as a starter in 2006, helping Arkansas to a 10-4 season and a No. 15 national ranking.

But Mustain was benched in a November win over South Carolina, and he hardly played again until splitting time with starter Casey Dick in Arkansas' Capital One Bowl loss to Wisconsin.

Last month, parents of Mustain and two other freshmen met with athletic director Frank Broyles amid concerns that Malzahn didn't have enough control over the offense. One of the freshmen, receiver Damian Williams, has since transferred to Southern California, and now Mustain has asked for his release.

The third freshman was tight end Ben Cleveland. Nutt said Cleveland was in Kansas for a friend's funeral, so his status is unclear.

A recent book about Springdale's 2005 season attributed quotes critical of Nutt to Mustain. According to the book, Mustain questioned the sophistication of Arkansas' offense during the recruiting process. He also made an off-the-cuff comment after Nutt took credit for a play call following an Arkansas win. The quarterback said Arkansas "would have a better chance of getting me" if Nutt were fired.

Arkansas hired Malzahn after the 2005 season, and Mustain eventually signed with the Razorbacks. But Arkansas relied on its running game this year -- tailback Darren McFadden was the Heisman Trophy runner-up -- and the spread, no-huddle offense Malzahn used at Springdale never became a fixture.

The Razorbacks won 10 straight games at one point this season -- but the warm feelings from that stretch have been overshadowed lately. Arkansas lost three straight to end the season, and now Malzahn's abrupt departure has caused more turmoil.

Now, the other shoe has apparently dropped.

Nutt said he only wants players who want to remain at Arkansas.

"I've told all the players, if they want their release, we'll grant their release," Nutt said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

BeerIsGood!
01-16-2007, 10:00 PM
It's official - Mustain's gone

Beaverfuzz
01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Arkansas is lucky to lose him and his controlling family. GOOD MOVE RAZORBACKS!

RonMexico
01-16-2007, 11:43 PM
What a douche. When McFadden was gone after next year, it was gonna be all his team and his show to run... 2 years of just handing the ball off and getting experience is great for any QB I think.

Mr Dio
01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
He could go to Ole Miss, not much of a QB competition there.
Mitch will win the job @ Ole Miss, Jevan will run to another school, Mitch will be replaced by a walk-on, Mitch transfers again.

j-6
02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
The rumor mill has Mustain going to USC next week for a 'recruiting' visit. Brutalis and JGW, any comment?

K-State Spur
02-11-2007, 08:53 PM
He could go to Ole Miss, not much of a QB competition there.
Mitch will win the job @ Ole Miss, Jevan will run to another school, Mitch will be replaced by a walk-on, Mitch transfers again.

I don't know SEC rules, but many conferences have a 2 year penalty if you transfer within the conference (sit out 1 + 1 more year lost). Luke Axtell to KU would be an example in the Big 12.

KewlKat00
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
The mother of former Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain said USC was one of several schools her son was considering transferring to.

Beck Campbell declined to identify other schools that had been in contact with her son. She said he would visit USC but there were no definite plans about when he would do so.

"I'm sure he will," Campbell said by phone. "But we're kind of in the anti-recruiting mode right now — or at least I am."

Mustain would be eligible in 2008 as a third-year sophomore.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-spw-uscfbrep10feb10,1,7807162.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-coll-usc

-----

Mustain Update
The Arkansas quarterback will visit Wednesday or Thursday before making a decision on whether to transfer to USC.

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/

JMarkJohns
02-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Rich Get Richer Forum

Mr Dio
02-11-2007, 10:44 PM
The mother of former Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain said USC was one of several schools her son was considering transferring to.

Beck Campbell declined to identify other schools that had been in contact with her son. She said he would visit USC but there were no definite plans about when he would do so.

"I'm sure he will," Campbell said by phone. "But we're kind of in the anti-recruiting mode right now — or at least I am."

Mustain would be eligible in 2008 as a third-year sophomore.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-spw-uscfbrep10feb10,1,7807162.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-coll-usc

-----

Mustain Update
The Arkansas quarterback will visit Wednesday or Thursday before making a decision on whether to transfer to USC.

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/

He won't go to USC.
Put that in ink.

Mr Dio
02-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Mitch could prob start right now @ LSU.

JMarkJohns
02-11-2007, 10:53 PM

Except he may have to sit out two years if transfering to LSU.

K-State Spur
02-12-2007, 12:10 AM

I doubt it. Flynn is likely the clear cut starter there. Don't forget that they also have Perrilloux who was the #1 rated HS QB the year before Mustain (in a year in which the Elite 11 were considered a stronger group).

KewlKat00
02-12-2007, 01:44 AM
He won't go to USC.
Put that in ink.

yeah, i doubt it too. we have booty for next year and sanchez will have two years of eligibility left after that, plus corp will be coming in the fall. if sanchez's potential and arm strength didn't move him ahead of booty's experience, then i doubt mustain would move ahead of sanchez, and he probably sees that.

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 05:05 AM
The rumor mill has Mustain going to USC next week for a 'recruiting' visit. Brutalis and JGW, any comment?

could care less. he'll get lost in the shuffle out at SC, and not b/c he isn't good, but no way he starts ahead of Sanchez when Booty is done next year.

i wish him the best, but frankly, he'd be wasting his time at USC. that is, if he wants to start.

Mr Dio
02-12-2007, 07:45 AM
I doubt it. Flynn is likely the clear cut starter there. Don't forget that they also have Perrilloux who was the #1 rated HS QB the year before Mustain (in a year in which the Elite 11 were considered a stronger group).

RP? :lol
RP could barely get practice time.

Mr Dio
02-12-2007, 07:46 AM
yeah, i doubt it too. we have booty for next year and sanchez will have two years of eligibility left after that, plus corp will be coming in the fall. if sanchez's potential and arm strength didn't move him ahead of booty's experience, then i doubt mustain would move ahead of sanchez, and he probably sees that.

Even though Mitch is a better QB than Booty, PC wouldn't play him over Booty.

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Even though Mitch is a better QB than Booty

no.

K-State Spur
02-12-2007, 11:36 AM
RP? :lol
RP could barely get practice time.

On that roster, Chance Mock wouldn't have gotten much practice time either. Russell will be a top 3 pick overall and Flynn has a good shot to be a first day pick next year.