PDA

View Full Version : Texas @ Okla. St. Go Spurs

Solid D
01-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Going to 3rd OT on ESPN2 :wow

MUST SEE TV for basketball fans!

Mr. Body
01-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Boggan should be available early in the 2nd round.

And I'm sure the Spurs have their eyes on Marcus Dove, who gave Durant some troubles.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Great game. Big plays on both sides.

boutons_
01-16-2007, 11:48 PM
the boyz are dragging their butts. pooped!!

boutons_
01-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Somebody days Durant needs more meat! :)

Mr. Body
01-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Man, two weeks ago I was hoping Mario Boggan would be a Spur. Now I fucking double fucking hope he becomes a Spur. Not sure he drops into the second round, now.

Solid D
01-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Wow, amazing game.

Solid D
01-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Okla. St. won and they have a better ranking than Texas but after watching that game (@ Gallagher Iba Arena), I'm still not sure one team is better than the other.
It was basically Boggan v. Durant and Augustin down the stretch, and Boggan just squared-up under pressure and nailed that wing 3 just bigger than Dallas.

koopa
01-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Man, two weeks ago I was hoping Mario Boggan would be a Spur. Now I fucking double fucking hope he becomes a Spur. Not sure he drops into the second round, now.

why can't we get him in the first???

and hell yeah, this was a great game.....durant is a fucking beast..........

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 12:11 AM
He's a first rounder.

T-Pain
01-17-2007, 12:12 AM
yall know were gonna get some dude from a foreign country again...

Solid D
01-17-2007, 12:14 AM
By the way, on that last possession by Texas after Boggan's 3, it wasn't really a travelling on UT. I watched the last minute again and the kid jumped up and couldn't shoot but he actually dribbled before his feet hit the floor. I guess the ref. didn't see him bounce the ball, or his eyes deceived him. Abrams may have been able to gather himself and try a 3 but it's all history now.

Louie Vega
01-17-2007, 12:31 AM
It don't matter! Gillespie's boys will rip 'em both up! Gig Em!

THE SIXTH MAN
01-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Durant reminds me of KG.

BeerIsGood!
01-17-2007, 01:33 AM
It don't matter! Gillespie's boys will rip 'em both up! Gig Em!
AM is good, but OSU and UT will beat them this year

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 02:46 AM
why can't we get him in the first???

Oh, we can. My fantasy was getting another first round talent, maybe moving up with Scola, and Boggan would drop into the second round because he's undersized. DX still has him in the second round, but he'll move out of it, although I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody like Glen Davis or him or another good senior wind up in the second round.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 02:47 AM
By the way, on that last possession by Texas after Boggan's 3, it wasn't really a travelling on UT. I watched the last minute again and the kid jumped up and couldn't shoot but he actually dribbled before his feet hit the floor. I guess the ref. didn't see him bounce the ball, or his eyes deceived him.

That's a travel.

Solid D
01-17-2007, 07:03 AM
That's a travel.

Okay, so, you have me curious now. Just so that I know what you mean, are you saying that jumping up before taking a dribble and then dribbling the ball before either foot returns to the floor is a travel...or are you saying that you think one or both of the player's feet actually returned to the floor prior to the dribble hitting the floor?

MI21
01-17-2007, 07:17 AM
It's a travel if you jump up without a prior dribble, and then dribble before you land.

Solid D
01-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Since you may not see this topic again for a while to explain what you mean, I went to search for the rules aspect of it. Since this is not the NBA, but the NCAA, I looked up the rule on what constitutes a travel or illegal dribble. I stand corrected. The player did establish a pivot foot by catching and then leaving both feet. The rule does clearly state that the pivot cannot be lifted before starting a dribble. Even if a clear pivot foot had not been established, neither foot can be lifted prior to starting a dribble.

(From NCAA 2006 Basketball Rules)
Rule 4, Section 66.
Travel:

Art. 1. Traveling occurs when a player holding the ball moves a foot or both
feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits described in this Rule.
Art. 2. A player who catches the ball with both feet on the playing court
may pivot, using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot
foot.
Art. 3. A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop
and establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be
the pivot foot;
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultane-
ously land on both; neither foot can be the pivot foot.
b. When one foot is on the playing court:
1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a
step;
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on
both; neither foot can then be the pivot foot.
Art. 4. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court,
before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
b. The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a
dribble.
Art. 5. After coming to a stop when neither foot can be the pivot foot:
a. One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the play-
ing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
b. Neither foot shall be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a drib-
ble.

I have seen that done several times in the NBA and of course the rules are somewhat different...as well as being relaxed during actual play. For the Spurs, I remember Sean Elliott doing that and the refs allowing the play to continue because Sean was able to dribble first.

Solid D
01-17-2007, 07:42 AM
I didn't see your post earlier, but thanks MI21. I now know the rule.

MI21
01-17-2007, 08:07 AM
I didn't see your post earlier, but thanks MI21. I now know the rule.

It's a weird rule, I have seen it go uncalled many a time. I know that where I play, which goes under FIBA rules I believe, you can't do it.

Solid D
01-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah, traveling goes uncalled all the time any way. Let's say on a ball screen, the player takes the ball from a standing position and steps out from the screener and dribbles on his lead step after his rear foot clears the floor. Technically, that's a travel, since the pivot is the foot not raised to take the first step.

Jimcs50
01-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Solid, FYI, we have a college forum which is s real nice forum for just this sort of discussion.

This game is well covered in that locale.

:toast

Solid D
01-17-2007, 10:33 AM
:lol Yeah, I expected it to get moved after the game was over. I just knew that it was shaping up to be one of the best college games I've seen in a while and some of the Spurs fans who were unaware might want to see it.

I expected one or more to pile on, though.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 10:47 AM
I tried really hard, mentioning players the Spurs might/should be after.

AFBlue
01-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Boggan = Craig Smith

He's not a first rounder because his lack of size and versatility won't allow him to be. It doesn't mean he won't be productive, but productive college players without the "measurables" drop in the draft all the time.

He'll be available in the second round.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 11:08 AM
He's undersized PLUS a fifth year senior, so he's "already tapped his potential."

While I'd love the Spurs to nab him with the Milwaukee pick, if he's still there, they'll probably pass him up because he's undersized or some crazy stupid reason. Or just because he's American - that's curtains in their eyes.

MajorMike
01-18-2007, 09:25 AM
He's undersized PLUS a fifth year senior, so he's "already tapped his potential."

While I'd love the Spurs to nab him with the Milwaukee pick, if he's still there, they'll probably pass him up because he's undersized or some crazy stupid reason. Or just because he's American - that's curtains in their eyes.

Wow! What a triple-overtime Big 12 thriller
Jan. 17, 2007
By Gary Parrish
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Gary your opinion!

The only person I felt sorry for was Andre Agassi. Poor guy was just sitting there with a film crew in front of him waiting to do a live interview on television during the network's Australian Open coverage. And when I say just sitting there, I mean just sitting there. For an hour. While Texas and Oklahoma State went back and forth in a game so good I half-expected a player to propose to a cheerleader.

Agassi was scheduled for 11 p.m. ET.

Parrish: Whatever 'it' is, Kevin Durant has it. (AP)
He came on at midnight.

The reason was D.J. Augustin. And JamesOn Curry. And Kevin Durant. And Mario Boggan. And, really, there were too many people involved to list them all.

Either way, what went down at Gallagher-Iba Arena Tuesday night -- a 105-103 triple-overtime thriller won by the Cowboys -- was what makes college hoops wonderful. There were great players making great plays for two great programs, and when that gets mixed with a great crowd and national television audience what you get is, well, what you get is one of the great American tennis players in history being put on hold.

Here are four things we know after OSU-Texas:

1. Oklahoma State's blowout loss at Kansas was a fluke: Coming off a 30-point defeat at KU, the Cowboys needed to prove last week's embarrassment was just a bad night indicative of nothing. In short, they did. OSU took Durant's best shots (more on him below) and countered each time, the last time being with Boggan's improbable 3-pointer that won the game. Consequently, Sean Sutton is off to a 16-2 start in his first season, and he has wins over Missouri State, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Texas. The two losses were at Kansas and against Tennessee (in Nashville), and that's why it's safe to assume Oklahoma State will figure prominently in the Big 12 race.

2. Texas is not a one-man show: Durant has received a lot of attention, and rightfully so. But for those who didn't know, the Longhorns have other talented players, namely Augustin, A.J. Abrams, Justin Mason and Damion James. Each of those guys made critical plays at some point, and even Connor Atchley hit a huge 3-pointer from the left corner in the third overtime. The Longhorns' top eight scorers are freshmen and sophomores, but it doesn't matter. Texas is 13-4 with wins over LSU and Arkansas, and two of its losses came in overtime (at Tennessee and at Oklahoma State) while another was by a bucket (to Michigan State). Those aren't bad credentials, and that Texas didn't wilt under the pressure at OSU is probably why Rick Barnes was smiling afterward. He learned a lot about his young team in this game, and what he learned must've been pleasing, despite the loss.

3. Boggan is a legitimate star: At this level in these games it's important for a team to have somebody who can dominate, and Oklahoma State has that guy in Boggan, who made up for last week's stinker against Kansas (eight points, zero rebounds in 26 minutes) with an incredible 37-point, 20-rebound outing in the win over Texas. That the senior big man hit the game-winning 3-pointer was wild on many levels, particularly given that he hadn't hit a 3-pointer since January 2 and had sank just five all season (in 36 attempts). But stars tend to make big plays in big situations, and so when the shot left Boggan's hand I had a feeling it would fall. When it did, his place among college basketball's elite was solidified, and the name Boggan should be well-represented come All-American teams selection time.

4. Yes, Durant is that good: Durant's 37 points and 12 rebounds didn't demonstrate what makes him special as much as the way he scored, when he scored and how he scored did while carrying Texas in crucial moments. Every time Oklahoma State created separation, Durant would sink a one-dribble pull-up jumper, a transition 3-pointer or emphatic dunk. His offensive rebound and stickback -- while enduring a foul -- with 10.5 seconds remaining in the third overtime was incredible, and that he swished the ensuing free throw to give Texas that brief 103-102 lead spoke volumes about the freshman's heart (and by heart, I mean stones). Bottom line, whatever "it" is, Durant has it. And though I'm not sure he can carry Texas to a national title like Carmelo Anthony once did at Syracuse, I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to be the coach of the team trying to stop him from doing it.

MajorMike
01-18-2007, 09:45 AM
By the way, the way Boggan 'got away' from everyone is that he was fat. He originally played at Oak Hill Academy with Desagana Diop, Rashaad Carruth and Billy Edelin in 2001.

He got up to well over 300 pounds (some say 325) while a Frosh at Florida. He was also on the verge of flunking out. After a year and a half in Gainesville, Boggan transferred to St. Bonaventure but stayed there only a month before "being asked to leave." He landed at Chipola (Fla.) Junior College. They won the FCCAA State Championship, and Mario made All-Tournament 1st team.

Mario almost signed with Cincinnati before Huggins was forced out. Then he almost signed with atm. He was set to chose between atm and South Alabama March 21, 2005. Supposedly the only reason he was ven considering S Bama was the Florida assistant that recruited him was the new coach there. Sutton offered him that day, fresh off our Final Four in 2004. He signed with OSU 4 days later.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 10:38 AM
There are enough questions he'll probably be second round fodder or late first. There's a guy in Glen Davis already who may take his first round spot.