PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way Dallas don't win it all this year?

The_Game
01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
I mean If they win the west.....or even then. Is there any team in this league who will be able to beat them this season?

Texas_Ranger
01-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Yes it is.One way is that Nowitzki, Howard and Terry will be injured.
And the other is that Spurs will defeat them.

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2007, 12:39 PM
that pushbike will come handy now

a healthy rockets can beat them.....even lakers or suns. every fuckn team is beatable, thats including the spurs...

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
it's too early to say. the pistons were the media darling all year last year to reach the 70 win mark. i say, along with everyone else, the mavs best shot for a title was last year in the finals. oh well. we shall see. i'm definitely moving out of dallas IF they do. everyone's heads here are big and it's only january.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
thats including the spurs...do or do not. there is no try.

z0sa
01-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Dallas or the Spurs. The ring comes back to the west, and it's a Texas team that wins it.

lurker
01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
everyone's heads here are big and it's only january.
I wish people would stop planning the parade already. Did they not learn from last season?

mabber
01-17-2007, 12:54 PM
it's too early to say. the pistons were the media darling all year last year to reach the 70 win mark. i say, along with everyone else, the mavs best shot for a title was last year in the finals. oh well. we shall see. i'm definitely moving out of dallas IF they do. everyone's heads here are big and it's only january.

Better start packing :p:

Actually, barring injury it will be difficult to beat this Mav team IMO. The Suns, Spurs & Rockets(if Yao & T-Mac healthy) all have a chance though.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
I wish people would stop planning the parade already. Did they not learn from last season? if i'm not mistaken they literally passed an ordinance or something stating they won't start planning a parade, for any dallas team mind you, until the series is over. it's either they won't plan it or leak out the details. i'm sure you can do a search on dallasnews.com

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
do or do not. there is no try.

spurs were one crazy play away from beating the showponies last season

this season we can beat them, but the outlook of it is shit, cose we suck and have many problems still need to be fix.

lurker
01-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, the Mavs aren't planning it yet, but some of the fans already have ideas for it. :lol

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 01:04 PM
You guys sound like all the Charger fans that were already planning trips to Miami. It's not even the All-Star break.

Findog
01-17-2007, 01:25 PM
I mean If they win the west.....or even then. Is there any team in this league who will be able to beat them this season?

The Mavs have been the most impressive team so far, but let's not forget that for all of the talk that the Spurs are old and washed up and Dallas has passed them by, the Mavs have outscored them by a grand total of 2 points in the three games they've played. All three went down to the wire. The two wins over Phoenix also went down to the wire. Houston blew them out and played them tough without Yao. Utah blew them out and matches up well with them. I don't want to face Kobe in a playoff series. Nothing is guaranteed for Dallas this year. Remember when the Sonics were a 63-19 juggernaut and they got upended by a .500 Nuggets team?

mabber
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
spurs were one crazy play away from beating the showponies last season

this season we can beat them, but the outlook of it is shit, cose we suck and have many problems still need to be fix.

I thought the Spurs were the better team last season even though they lost that series. I don't think that anymore though. I think the Mavs are the better team now but ya really never know how it's going to play out. I think the additions of D.George & Buckner along with the improved play from Josh Howard, D.Harris & Damp have put Dallas ahead of everyone right now. Injuries can mess all that up though.

JamStone
01-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Dirk re-discovers his inner-pussy?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
I thought the Spurs were the better team last season even though they lost that series. I don't think that anymore though. I think the Mavs are the better team now but ya really never know how it's going to play out. I think the additions of D.George & Buckner along with the improved play from Josh Howard, D.Harris & Damp have put Dallas ahead of everyone right now. Injuries can mess all that up though.i hate winning on account of injuries. it just makes the naysayers put that asterisk by it when they lose.

boutons_
01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Way too early, but there's a lot of momentum with the Mavs this year.
I figure the Tittle is theirs to lose.

The Mavs have paid their playoff dues,
going back to losing WCF to Spurs in 03,
losing WCF semis to Suns in 05,
winning the WCF in 06,
and their first Finals in 06.

That's a lot of top playoff experience in the last 2 years.

They've got a much better coach than Nelson.

A balanced offense with 5 players averaging double figures, even Damp averages 8,and it looks like DGeorge is really beginning to click as a Mav.

Dirk has grown into real Super Star / HoF material with 5 or 6 prime years to go. A Title or 2 would certainly help HoF chances.

A great bench, much improved with the Devin George whom Avery has been using to close games with great results.

yep, the Title is theirs to lose, but we gotta play the games to see.

johngateswhiteley
01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
(title)...uh, yeah...when the Spurs beat their ass. same shit happens every time, the Spurs lose the year after they win a title, fans act like bitches, Spurs seem to struggle early...then it happens. then everyone talks about how they love the Spurs, never had any doubts, and starts talking about how the Spurs will own next year.

do me a favor and stop with all the stupid ass threads. your common sense, as your basketball takes, is worthless.

LEONARD
01-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Everybody is beatable...

mabber
01-17-2007, 01:47 PM
i hate winning on account of injuries. it just makes the naysayers put that asterisk by it when they lose.

Wasn't the first Spur's title the year that MJ didn't play?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Wasn't the first Spur's title the year that MJ didn't play?i guess the same could be said about the lakers and detroit. too bad we can't say that about your team. oh well.

Solid D
01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Ask the San Diego Chargers.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Those demons from last years finals will return as the playoffs go on. There will be moments in the postseason where the flash backs of us losing in the finals will return and no one here can deny that. How we respond and handle those moments and if we can overcome that hurdle at those precise moments will truly determine our fate.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Those demons from last years finals will return as the playoffs go on. There will be moments in the postseason where the flash backs of us losing in the finals will return and no one here can deny that. How we respond and handle those moments and if we can overcome that hurdle at those precise moments will truly determine our fate.
Yeah you don't wanna end up like the Queens did. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Those demons from last years finals will return as the playoffs go on. There will be moments in the postseason where the flash backs of us losing in the finals will return and no one here can deny that. How we respond and handle those moments and if we can overcome that hurdle at those precise moments will truly determine our fate.wow. i can't believe you posted that. normally it's f-this and f-you and we rule and you f'n suck. all in caps, might i add. i totally agree with you. wow, the end of the world is coming.

Leetonidas
01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
The Spurs are probably a decent backup PG and one trade away. If they play their very best, and I mean Tim has to put up 30/12, along with Manu putting up 25/6 and Tony with 24/8...we can beat them. Phoenix right now has the best chance, and a healthy Rockets team. No one in the East can beat Dallas.

Leetonidas
01-17-2007, 03:16 PM
That's like the very first smart and non-homer thing you've ever said. Congratulations. :toast

mabber
01-17-2007, 03:30 PM
i guess the same could be said about the lakers and detroit. too bad we can't say that about your team. oh well.

I wasn't dissing their title that year, I'd be happy with a title regardless of the circumstances regarding other teams.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I wasn't dissing their title that year, I'd be happy with a title regardless of the circumstances regarding other teams.sorry, dude, but people tend to apply asterisks to games, especially championships, won that way.

mabber
01-17-2007, 03:34 PM

Of course there will be thoughts of losing again during tough times during the playoffs, but usually teams learn from losing in the playoffs more than anything. I'm blown away at how motivated this team is this season. They're winning games they have no business winning just out of sheer determination.

mabber
01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
sorry, dude, but people tend to apply asterisks to games, especially championships, won that way.

Obviously they do, but a championship with an asterisk is better than no championship at all IMO.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Of course there will be thoughts of losing again during tough times during the playoffs, but usually teams learn from losing in the playoffs more than anything. I'm blown away at how motivated this team is this season. They're winning games they have no business winning just out of sheer determination.

I am sorry but regular season games arent going to sell me yet. Im waiting till the 2nd/3rd round of the playoffs before I see this teams true colors. Those flashback moments wont come into effect until then. Then when that time happens lets see how we take it. Dont get me wrong I love seeing how this team is playing and all but the Pistons were doing so great last year and look at how that ended up. I do also believe that this team can get over that mental hump but it wont be known for sure till May. :)

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 03:48 PM
I am sorry but regular season games arent going to sell me yet. Im waiting till the 2nd/3rd round of the playoffs before I see this teams true colors. Those flashback moments wont come into effect until then. Then when that time happens lets see how we take it. Dont get me wrong I love seeing how this team is playing and all but the Pistons were doing so great last year and look at how that ended up. I do also believe that this team can get over that mental hump but it wont be known for sure till May. :)well you had me until i saw your signature.

George Gervin's Afro
01-17-2007, 03:55 PM
At this point in the season Dallas is the best team in the league hands down. regarding the question of the thread anything can happen and if my memory serves me correctly the past few seasons the pundits have claimed that certain teams were locks to win title and they failed..last year it was the spurs (pre-season when they picked up Nick V and Finley) or pistons (winning 70 games and played best ball throughout season), the prior year it was the lakers..etc..I'm not saying that this will happen this year but at this point Dallas is playing way above everyone else. Sorry Suns fans until your team learns to defend you will not beat Dallas or the Spurs in a 7 game series..

Xylus
01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Given the fact that the Suns have the highest point differential in the league (+8.51), are holding opponents to about the same FG% as Dallas and San Antonio every night (.450), have the 2nd best opponents' 3PT% (.324), and are 9th in the league in points per 100 possessions (105.6), I'd say the Suns can play defense.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
well you had me until i saw your signature.

:) :) Thanks for the reminder.

mabber
01-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Given the fact that the Suns have the highest point differential in the league (+8.51), are holding opponents to about the same FG% as Dallas and San Antonio every night (.450), have the 2nd best opponents' 3PT% (.324), and are 9th in the league in points per 100 possessions (105.6), I'd say the Suns can play defense.

I haven't seen any difference in the 6-7 games I've seen them play. That's not enough games to make a good judgement, I know. As far as those defensive stats, I'm guessing it's just shooters on other teams getting tired and missing their shots cuz they're not used to shooting that much :lol

Regardless, it won't matter until they show they can make stops late in playoff games vs. the other good teams. If they can do that and they win it all then I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

George Gervin's Afro
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM

Hey they may this year but until they do it against the Spurs or mavs in the playoffs I will stand by my opinion.

Xylus
01-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Regardless, it won't matter until they show they can make stops late in playoff games vs. the other good teams. If they can do that and they win it all then I'll be the first to say I was wrong.
You and I both know that's a lie. :lol

Everyone says stuff like that, but no one ever owns up to it.

BeerIsGood!
01-17-2007, 04:12 PM
It's becoming more and more evident in every sport that the regular season doesn't mean much. Basketball - Spurs and Detroit win 60+ last year and neither reach the finals. Football - Colts last couple of years and Chargers this year. Baseball - White Sox last year and Cardinals this year. When was the last time the best regular season team in a major US sport actually won the championship??

BeerIsGood!
01-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Did any of that make sense at all?
Yes, because he's usually a troll

u2sarajevo
01-17-2007, 04:17 PM
It's becoming more and more evident in every sport that the regular season doesn't mean much. Basketball - Spurs and Detroit win 60+ last year and neither reach the finals. Football - Colts last couple of years and Chargers this year. Baseball - White Sox last year and Cardinals this year. When was the last time the best regular season team in a major US sport actually won the championship??The Mavs are one loss away from making the Suns the top team in the NBA according to record. If/when that happens does that increase our chances of winning the title? I agree that regular season is only good for playoff positioning. But I will not concede that if you are the team with the best record your chances are diminished to win it all.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Yeah I also disagree. I've seen them play alot of games this year, and while their defense is better I still don't think it's Championship caliber. They still havn't really played anybody yet, so there defense is still suspect.

Dirk41MVP
01-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Tim has to put up 30/12, along with Manu putting up 25/6 and Tony with 24/8

Same goes for Dirk, jho and jet. Besides last year's playoffs, your "big" 3 played pretty good, and you still lost. What else do you want Duncan to do ? average 50/20/10 ? he was killing our bigs. Ginobili and jho pretty much canceled themselves out and devin and jet together were massively outplaying parkerall series long.

While I do believe it is WAAAAAYYY to early to say we're going to win it all, I do like our chances, specially against a spurs team that is obviously older, slower and up until now, hasn't played the kind of defense that they are used to and I don't believe your defense can stop the Dallas attack anymore. I think we just have too many weapons at the moment... dirk, j-ho, devin, jet, stack, (george can get us 15+ a night if he's on his game), etc. Not to mention our defense has gotten A LOT better since last year.

I believe you need to make a trade to bring another scoring punch/weapon to keep up with all the scorers Dallas has... this season is far from over though. Maybe SA is planning on making a trade right now ?, you never know. At least not until the trade deadline.

As far as Phoenix goes: Until they defend and rebound they won't do jack shit. Maybe they'll get another "free-ride" (yes that's what it's called when you have to play the two LA teams instead of the TX teams) to the Conference finals, but they will never win a title with that style. Us mavs fans can tell you that from experience with the "hell-days" also known as the "nellie era". Great regular seasons, a lot of fun to watch = never won anything and we still had the most overrated player in the NBA playing the point for that team.

EDIT:

Don't let those defensive stats fool you. As a reference look at the Mavs's 02-03 season when we went to the Conference Finals vs. SA. We played small ball also and were known as "Allas" around the league...

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/stats/2002/index.html

You want to compare point differentials and all that cute stuff ?, let's do it..

Mavs '02 vs. Suns '06

Point Differential: 7.8 vs. 8.51
Defensive FG: . 438 vs. .450
Defensive 3pt. %: .340 vs. .324
Rebounding differential: -3.4 vs. -2.6
Defensive RPG: 31.0 vs. 32.5
Offensive RPG: 11.1 vs. 8.5
Steals per game: 6.7 vs. 6.8
Blocks per game: 3.9 vs. 4.9 --> AND we played Bradley and LaFrentz at Center, not Amare Stoudemire...

As you can see, all your cute stats don't mean anything. In fact they are rather useless. If the mavericks played defense so great that season, show me the rings, where are they ?. Don't be fooled by small ball, it's fun and deceiving (yeah we also thought we were champs back in '02 like you do now) but it gets you nowhere in the playoffs.

Not to mention that dallas can play small ball like Phoenix can and still keep up. We don't lack scorers as I've said before, and while your offense might be slightly better than Dallas's, our defense is A WHOOOLE lot better than yours is.

Did I just hear PWNED....??
:lol

Xylus
01-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry, but comparisons to Nellie-era Mavs are just silly. Do you really think the Nellie-era Mavs are anywhere near as good as D'Antoni-era Suns? Until I see some stats to back it up, I can't take that claim seriously.

BeerIsGood!
01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
The Mavs are one loss away from making the Suns the top team in the NBA according to record. If/when that happens does that increase our chances of winning the title? I agree that regular season is only good for playoff positioning. But I will not concede that if you are the team with the best record your chances are diminished to win it all.

I wasn't implying that the team with the best record has diminished chances, but instead implying that having the best record doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. I was giving examples of recent instances where the team with the better regular season didn't win. I think it speaks more to the parity in all major US sports, and that the team that is playing the best in May and June will win the title. Could be the Mavs, Spurs, Suns, or some other team that comes out of nowhere (Heat last year??). The regular season has been relegated to basically keeping fans interested until the real season starts.

MrChug
01-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I think the only way the Mavericks lose the big one is if they remain the Dallas Mavericks.

mabber
01-17-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry, but comparisons to Nellie-era Mavs are just silly. Do you really think the Nellie-era Mavs are anywhere near as good as D'Antoni-era Suns? Until I see some stats to back it up, I can't take that claim seriously.

Losing in the conference finals is the best that both had/have ever done. The Mavs had really good regular season records (althought the Spurs were always 1 game better) as well. I'd say that Nash, Dirk & Finley in his prime were as good as this Sun team.

ponky
01-17-2007, 04:39 PM

playing 2/3rds of your games against eastern conference teams would be great in trying to reach that mark

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Yes, because he's usually a trolli don't think so.

ponky
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
i hate winning on account of injuries. it just makes the naysayers put that asterisk by it when they lose.

yes, this is why i have an asterisk by the spurs 99 championship...i mean a ring is a ring and you guys got it that year, but as a knicks fan with a team that was an eighth seed getting all the way to the finals, i was so ticked off that both patrick ewing and larry johnson were injured and couldn't play in the finals after getting all the way there. not saying the outcome would've been different cause who knows but at least it would've made the series more competitive.

Dirk41MVP
01-17-2007, 04:49 PM

Ditto, I edited my post above. Here's the link.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1389420&postcount=46

And no, I think with the players and athletes that your team has, back then coached by nellie (the real small-ball know-it-all). That team would have been a lot better than yours is right now.

Look at the roster and you'll find names like Raef LaFrentz, Shawn Bradley, Eduardo Najera, Walt Williams (who?), adrian griffin, Tariq Abdul-Wahad, Antoine Rigaudeau, Evan Eschmeyer, Mark Strickland and Popeye Jones... that's 67% of your roster filled with a bunch of nobodys that averaged 4.2 points a piece on average.

I rest my case...

mavsfan1000
01-17-2007, 04:51 PM
yes, this is why i have an asterisk by the spurs 99 championship...i mean a ring is a ring and you guys got it that year, but as a knicks fan with a team that was an eighth seed getting all the way to the finals, i was so ticked off that both patrick ewing and larry johnson were injured and couldn't play in the finals after getting all the way there. not saying the outcome would've been different cause who knows but at least it would've made the series more competitive.
New York would've lost either way. San Antonio dominated everyone that year.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
New York would've lost either way. San Antonio dominated everyone that year.Phil Jackson doesn't see it that way.

ponky
01-17-2007, 05:04 PM
New York would've lost either way. San Antonio dominated everyone that year.

that wasn't my point, i stated that the outcome may not have been different but even without the ewing/johnson the knicks managed to win a game so it would've been nice to see if the knicks could've taken the spurs to 6-7 games. nobody expected the knicks to get that far and they did, stranger things have happened (mavs choking last year to some sorry bitches)

BUMP
01-17-2007, 05:04 PM
realistically speaking the Spurs have a shot, the Rockets have a tiny shot, the Pistons have a shot, they are 1-0 vs us, and they got Webber

Golden State has a shot. :p:

ponky
01-17-2007, 05:06 PM
realistically speaking the Spurs have a shot, the Rockets have a tiny shot, the Pistons have a shot, they are 1-0 vs us, and they got Webber

Golden State has a shot. :p:

yup, i think all these teams have a shot barring any injuries...uh, except for golden state

Xylus
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
You want to compare point differentials and all that cute stuff ?, let's do it..

Mavs '02 vs. Suns '06

Point Differential: 7.8 vs. 8.51
Defensive FG: . 438 vs. .450
Defensive 3pt. %: .340 vs. .324
Rebounding differential: -3.4 vs. -2.6
Defensive RPG: 31.0 vs. 32.5
Offensive RPG: 11.1 vs. 8.5
Steals per game: 6.7 vs. 6.8
Blocks per game: 3.9 vs. 4.9 --> AND we played Bradley and LaFrentz at Center, not Amare Stoudemire...

As you can see, all your cute stats don't mean anything. In fact they are rather useless. If the mavericks played defense so great that season, show me the rings, where are they ?. Don't be fooled by small ball, it's fun and deceiving (yeah we also thought we were champs back in '02 like you do now) but it gets you nowhere in the playoffs.

Not to mention that dallas can play small ball like Phoenix can and still keep up. We don't lack scorers as I've said before, and while your offense might be slightly better than Dallas's, our defense is A WHOOOLE lot better than yours is.

Did I just hear PWNED....??
You are an arrogant son of a bitch, aren't you? :)

I'll give you credit, though, those are some good stats.

I think the Suns claim to fame isn't really small ball, but their efficiency on offense. Those stats make both teams appear pretty similar until you look at PPG game...the '07 Suns average 111.4 points a game compared to the '03 Mavs' 103.0 points a game. That's quite a bit of a difference, don't you think? The Suns also have a +8 in assist differential, which means this current Suns team has a more fluent passing game and better chemistry than that Mavs team did. On top of that, the Suns shoot almost 50% FG, while those Mavs shot only 45.3%.

The biggest difference between the two teams, you've already mentioned a couple of times...Amare Stoudemire. If the manchild can stay healthy and dominant throughout the postseason, Phoenix is taking a series with Dallas to 7, at worst.

ponky
01-17-2007, 05:25 PM

I think the Suns claim to fame isn't really small ball, but their efficiency on offense. Those stats make both teams appear pretty similar until you look at PPG game...the '07 Suns average 111.4 points a game compared to the '03 Mavs' 103.0 points a game. That's quite a bit of a difference, don't you think? The Suns also have a +8 in assist differential, which means this current Suns team has a more fluent passing game and better chemistry than that Mavs team did. On top of that, the Suns shoot almost 50% FG, while those Mavs shot only 45.3%.

The biggest difference between the two teams, you've already mentioned a couple of times...Amare Stoudemire. If the manchild can stay healthy and dominant throughout the postseason, Phoenix is taking a series with Dallas to 7, at best.

Oops, you made a mistake, I fixed it for you. Besides, what makes you think Dallas will even see the Suns in the playoffs? If things stay 1 and 2 with the seedings, either team could get wiped out by the Rockets or Lakers...and even then, there are the Spurs to do deal with if we get by those first two teams. I don't count the Jazz cuz they're fakers and I see the Wolves and/or Nuggets surpassing them in their division...and even if they stay first in their division, they are first round and out.

Dirk41MVP
01-17-2007, 06:29 PM

The biggest difference between the two teams, you've already mentioned a couple of times...Amare Stoudemire. If the manchild can stay healthy and dominant throughout the postseason, Phoenix is taking a series with Dallas to 7, at worst.

Actually I'm not ignorant, but I can see you're pretty stupid yourself.

1) When did this argument turn to offense ?. I thought you defended the argument that Phoenix could play defense, which they can't, yet your post is all about offense and nothing to do with defense ( I guess I'm ignorant one though).

2) While Phoenix does score more points than that Maverick team, they also give up 7.7 more points than the mavericks did. I even mentioned that Phoenix has a better offense than the mavs did and do, that doesn't mean anything when you're giving up over 102 points a game. You can average 120 points a game and give up 125 and your team still sucks. Look at the POINT DIFFERENTIAL, that's where the real truth lies. SO again your argument is rather useless AGAIN. (Besides I thought this argument was about defense, I'm still confused and I guess I'm still ignorant).

3) The assist thing again, is offense-related. I thought your point was about defense not offense. And don't me misled by that number either.

Ex: Steve nash drives into the lane, he kicks the ball out to Evan Eschmeyer for a missed three pointer... same play in phoenix with Raja bell/barbosa as a recipient and it's a made 3 pointer. Compare the talents on the two rosters and make an argument (that makes sense) against this...

4) You measure team chemistry by how many points/assist they score/get ?, wow now THAT is VERY stupid. That's not even worth discussing

5) yeah PHX shoots a higher % than the mavericks did, but they also give a higher FG% (as stated by my FACTS, something you have none that make sense)

Conclusion: A) I'm not arrogant, just confident in what I say because everything I say makes sense ad I use facts to prove what I say (unless of course I just taunt the hell outta spur fans, but that's not the case here) you're just a little insecure about yourself, that's ok. If you want to make a reasonable and intelligent conversation, try to get some basic facts straight.

B) Your team still doesn't play defense

C) ALL your arguments were offense-related and were used to defend a defense argument, I don't get all your yapping and all your whinnying. I NEVER said your team wasn't good offensively, they are but they suck defensively (the whole point of the original argument)

D) I guess not just the PHX team thinks only about offense and not defense but the fans do that too... lmao.

E) bring me some magic defensive numbers to back up your argument... unless of course there aren't any (because your team still doesn't play defense and rebound).

F) I pwned your bitch ass.. AGAIN.

1Parker1
01-17-2007, 08:19 PM
After last season's implosion, it's hard to believe completely in the Mavs. There are 4 things that can stop them:

1) Injury to key player: Dirk, Diop, Harris, Terry
2) Suns: If they can keep up their pace in the postseason and learn how to win close games and play defense
3) Spurs make a great trade to counter the Mavs
4) DWade/Lebron James/Kirk Heinrich/Ben Gordon or any other player in the East taking over ala Wade last season in the Finals.

Budkin
01-17-2007, 08:20 PM
This thread is all speculation. Who the hell thought the Heat were actually going to win it all last year other than Stephen A. Smith?

1Parker1
01-17-2007, 08:28 PM
^^Very good point. For the large part, the Pistons looked unbeatable in the regular season, much like the Mavs this season. Remember how we all thought the Pistons looked like they were on a mission to get back to the Finals and reclaim their title??

Mavs playing similiarly (minus the fact that they never won a title...:lol)

THE SIXTH MAN
01-17-2007, 09:03 PM
do me a favor and stop with all the stupid ass threads. your common sense, as your basketball takes, is worthless.
I agree with this, the thread starter is either the most fair-weather fan I've met or he really isn't a spurs fan.

As for the threads question. The Mavs are by far the most superior team in the league at the moment. And they probably will be all the way in to the playoffs. But as so many people have stated in this thread(including mav fans) is that it wont always necessarily translate in to the playoffs. The Mavs will be a very difficult team come playoff time, but that doesn't mean that they're unbeatable.

Xylus
01-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Dirk41MVP...

1) I never said you were ignorant, I said you were arrogant, especially as a fan of a team that's never really won anything (don't worry, I know how you feel). There's a big difference between arrogance and ignorance, sir. *Throws you a Webster's*

2) This is what I said:

I was referring to the comparison in a general sense, offense and defense both included. Now, you did well to prove that the Nellie-era Mavs have similar defensive stats, but you failed to prove that the two teams are similar in overall skill. The Suns are vastly better shooters and passers. And on the defensive end, it looks like the Suns are slightly better in most categories apart from Opponents' FG%. Even then, while the Mavs' had a 1.2% edge in that category, the Suns have a 4.5% edge in offensive FG%. Quite a difference there, too.

3) If you want defensive statistics showing that the Suns are one of the top 10 defenses in the league, why don't you check about 15 posts back... I posted it all there. Go ahead, take a look. :)

4) Yeah, I suppose it's hard to quantify a team's chemistry using statistics, but just watch a Suns game from time to time. No team in the league has a better chemistry.

5) Not sure why you're being so hostile towards me. I understand that you love, love, love your team! But c'mon, mild-mannered debate is so much more effective, so calm down. Otherwise, you just look childish.

6) Finally, my main point is this: The '07 Suns play a very different style of basketball than the '03 Mavs, which those offensive stats indicate. So I don't understand how you can compare them when the two teams aren't even that similar.

Fillmoe
01-17-2007, 11:59 PM
nothing is guaranteed.... i remember when i swore there was no way anyone other than sac was going to win the championship.... the year their 12th active player was gerald wallace......... and we were stacked...... but shit didnt go through..... nothing in this game is guaranteed..... and dallas has proved they are great chockers

Greg Oden
01-18-2007, 12:03 AM
if the kings got me right now, no other team would even qualify for the playoffs.

FlyHigh07
01-18-2007, 12:33 AM
if the kings got me right now, no other team would even qualify for the playoffs.

Jimmy1234
01-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Dallas big problem is, that they finally depands too mutch on one player - Dirk.
If Dirk play strong, they can beat everyone, even if the cast stuggled. Bud if Dirk struggled and shoots only 40% from the court, then they get problems against playoff teams.

Look at last years playoffs: They lost in the finals against a team, that was worser than spurs or the suns, although even Terry player over his usally play, because Miami controlled Dirk, and unfortunately Dirk plays 95% of the games like da Uberman, but turns sometimes in to a pussy and seems to lost his skills.

And our enemys know this: They will throw in the postseason two or three people on Dirk all the time in order to guarantee that Dallas suppoting cast has to beat them.

mabber
01-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Dallas big problem is, that they finally depands too mutch on one player - Dirk.
If Dirk play strong, they can beat everyone, even if the cast stuggled. Bud if Dirk struggled and shoots only 40% from the court, then they get problems against playoff teams.

Look at last years playoffs: They lost in the finals against a team, that was worser than spurs or the suns, although even Terry player over his usally play, because Miami controlled Dirk, and unfortunately Dirk plays 95% of the games like da Uberman, but turns sometimes in to a pussy and seems to lost his skills.

And our enemys know this: They will throw in the postseason two or three people on Dirk all the time in order to guarantee that Dallas suppoting cast has to beat them.

Do you even watch their games? Dirk was high scorer in only 3 of their wins in their most recent 13 game winning streak. Dirk has got to the point where he usually only steps up when the team really needs him (in 4th quarters).

"seems to lost his skills"?????? What the F are you talking about??? :lol

One of the best things about this team is that teams really CAN'T and DON'T throw 2-3 guys at Dirk anymore cuz they have so many other weapons (Howard, Terry, Stack, etc.) that will burn them.

Tradition
01-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Phil Jackson doesn't see it that way.

You take Phils mind games to heart. Phil always spews bullshit to get in the oppositions head. In reality he props you guys bigtime for that title.

Jimmy1234
01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
One of the best things about this team is that teams really CAN'T and DON'T throw 2-3 guys at Dirk anymore cuz they have so many other weapons (Howard, Terry, Stack, etc.) that will burn them.

Ha, ha!
Did you saw the finals... where were all those weapons? I saw nothing, only Terry was in the game.

No one stepped up.
You must learn to differentiate whether the Mavs plays against good or bad teams.

Right, against bad teams, the cast is good, but against good teams, it`s all Dirk to score 30+ to win - particularly on road games.

Man, Stack is 39% from the court - wow!
D. George also - 39% wow!

Josh sucks on road games.
The only one i trust in big games beside Dirk is Terry, to team with him. Josh is one game hop, other flop - partcularly since the old ball is back.

mabber
01-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Ha, ha!
Did you saw the finals... where were all those weapons? I saw nothing, only Terry was in the game.

No one stepped up.
You must learn to differentiate whether the Mavs plays against good or bad teams.

Right, against bad teams, the cast is good, but against good teams, it`s all Dirk to score 30+ to win - particularly on road games.

Man, Stack is 39% from the court - wow!
D. George also - 39% wow!

Josh sucks on road games.
The only one i trust in big games beside Dirk is Terry, to team with him. Josh is one game hop, other flop - partcularly since the old ball is back.

Are you foreign?

Amare_32
01-19-2007, 08:58 PM

________
Park Lane Jomtien Resort Condo (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

dallaskd
01-19-2007, 11:44 PM
no.

mavsfan1000
01-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Jimmy1234
Believe.

Position: Pass-First Guard
Team: Dallas Mavericks (San Antonio Spurs)
vBookie Cash: $500

RonMexico
01-20-2007, 04:16 AM
"Is there any way an exercise bike survives Dirk this year?" should be the name of this thread.

ArgSpursFan
01-22-2007, 10:46 AM

no team in the league is unbeatable.even the Mavs
WeŽll see when the playoffs come around.

mabber
01-22-2007, 10:53 AM
no team in the league is unbeatable.even the Mavs
WeŽll see when the playoffs come around.

I agree, especially in today's NBA. There really isn't any really great teams right now...just a few really good ones and a lot of mediocre ones.

Chris Childs
04-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Bump