PDA

View Full Version : SI article:"Spurs could use a little help to boost chances in West"

regio
01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marty_burns/01/17/spurs/index.html

CHICAGO -- As a veteran of 15 seasons -- and the proud holder of six championship rings -- Spurs forward Robert Horry knows a little about what it takes to win a title.

So it's worth noting that Big Shot Rob still likes his team's chances to win the NBA crown even if the Mavs and Suns seem to be getting all the hype.

"People are gonna talk about them because they have flash," Horry said. "We have no flash. They like guys who go up and down [the court]. They got 16 guys who can put it on floor, shoot threes and stuff. They got the high-flying dunkers in Phoenix. They got stuff that makes quote-unquote papers sell. We don't have that. We don't have guys who dunk a lot. We don't have nobody with flash. We just get the job done."

Spurs fans can only hope Horry's confidence is based on an honest evaluation of the situation -- and not just team spirit.

For as the season nears the midpoint, it's fair to wonder if San Antonio has what it takes right now to beat out Dallas, Phoenix and all the other charging horses in the Western Conference.

The Spurs just have not looked like a dominant team most of this season. They already have lost six games at home, including two to Dallas and one to Houston. Their once-feared defense has ranked near the middle of the pack in field goal percentage allowed for much of the season, with coach Gregg Popovich even calling them his worst unit in six or eight years. Most of all, they have appeared a step slow.

Though the Spurs have won four of five heading into Wednesday night's showdown against the Lakers, and the defense has tightened up of late, they still have been too "up and down" in the words of Tim Duncan.

On Monday, the Spurs allowed Bulls youngsters Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich and Luol Deng to drive-and-kick their way to 49.4 percent shooting en route to a 99-87 victory. At the other end, San Antonio was unable to take advantage of a Chicago team minus defensive aces Ben Wallace and Chris Duhon. The Spurs wound up shooting just 39.5 percent, hitting just 6-of-23 three-pointers, en route to their sixth loss in 13 games.

On at least three possessions, Bulls rookie forward Tyrus Thomas stunned the Spurs by seemingly coming out of nowhere to block shots. Twice he crammed home a spectacular putback, including one right before the halftime horn in which he seemed to go from one side of the lane to the other in a split second.

"He's a heck of an athlete," Duncan marveled.

It's exactly that kind of athletic presence that the Spurs lack this season, and why many around the league feel they need to make a move if they hope to challenge for a fourth championship in nine years. They reportedly have talked to the Clippers about Corey Maggette, but L.A. wants more in return than Brent Barry and Beno Udrih. Other players who could help the Spurs and might be available include the Rockets' Bonzi Wells and the Jazz's Andrei Kirilenko. But neither Houston nor Utah is likely to want to help a fellow West rival, and in Kirilenko's case at least, the Spurs don't appear to have the right players to make a deal add up under salary cap rules.

For now, Maggette seems to be their best option. The 6-foot-6 slasher would give San Antonio a wing scorer and somebody to match up with Dallas' Josh Howard. He also gets to the foul line and makes his free throws. The question is whether Maggette be willing to play defense and share the ball with Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

While not addressing the Maggette rumors directly, Horry said the Spurs would welcome a trade if the player was the right fit.

"If he meshes with the team," he said. "You always welcome new talent if he can help you out. But don't bring in somebody just because they're young. If they don't know how to play game, they're not going to help."

Popovich surely agrees, which might be why he is playing it cool right now in regard to personnel moves. While word around the NBA is that the Spurs are looking for help, the coach continues to preach patience. He notes that he is still trying to find the right combinations, especially with injuries to Francisco Elson (shoulder) and Matt Bonner (knee), and that the goal is to be playing at peak level in March and April.

He also notes that if San Antonio hadn't suffered that Game 7 overtime loss to the Mavs in the conference finals a year ago, nobody would be doubting the Spurs right now.

"We gave that game away," Popovich said. "If [Ginobili's foul at the end of regulation] hadn't been committed, and we win the game, everybody would have talked about how beautifully those experienced Spurs players executed. But we lost, so it must be [that] we're getting old."

While Popovich makes a good point about media and fan overreaction, the fact is the Spurs are relying on aging veterans like Horry, Michael Finley and Brent Barry. Meanwhile, the NBA continues to become a faster game with more teams using small lineups. Rules changes have made it increasingly difficult for clubs like the Spurs to slow the tempo into a half-court game and take advantage of a dominant low-post scorer. San Antonio has tried to adjust this season, bringing in Elson and Bonner, but it might not be enough.

It would be foolish to count out Duncan and the Spurs just yet. But it sure seems as if San Antonio could use a big shot of athleticism and, yes, maybe even some flash. Even if Big Shot Rob says otherwise.

Leetonidas
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Damn, Kirilenko on the Spurs would be sick.

VaSpursFan
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
ak-47 would give us the long 3 that can defend, score...and rebound. that would be sick...

regio
01-17-2007, 02:37 PM
It would probably take manu + some other player to get him

George Gervin's Afro
01-17-2007, 02:43 PM
It would probably take manu + some other player to get him

WHAT ABOUT TONY PARKER + someone else..(CLEARING THROAT).... ?

bigfundamental21
01-17-2007, 02:44 PM
As if AK-47 were even available. The Spurs should just go after Maggette and sign some talent from the D-League.

VaSpursFan
01-17-2007, 02:49 PM
As if AK-47 were even available. The Spurs should just go after Maggette and sign some talent from the D-League.

sloan isn't too happy with kirilenko right now and i think he may end up being shopped. i just read a couple of articles about ak's poor performance over the past couple of games and sloan seems exasperated. who knows??

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Kirilenko's a Utah cornerstone. Manu + Tony is probably what they'd want, and that's a no way proposition.

regio
01-17-2007, 02:51 PM
WHAT ABOUT TONY PARKER + someone else..(CLEARING THROAT).... ?
They already have a very good point guard in Deron Williams

Big P
01-17-2007, 02:51 PM

The article just said the Clipps want more than Barry & Beno...so who do you suggest we trade for him?

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Kirilenko has been absolutely terrible for the Jazz lately.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 02:56 PM
The article just said the Clipps want more than Barry & Beno...so who do you suggest we trade for him?

They also want a first round pick. They've said it before.

VaSpursFan
01-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Kirilenko's a Utah cornerstone. Manu + Tony is probably what they'd want, and that's a no way proposition.

boozer, okur and williams = cornerstones. ak-47=expendable because he hasn't been doing shit to justify his contract. he's on my fanatasy basketball team and he has been sucking big time. no blocks, not steals, no rebounds and lethargic scoring. they're going to move him if he doesn't improve before the feb deadline. he may be playing crappy to get moved...who knows???

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Kirilenko has an ungodly contract, especially by Spurs standards. Don't think they'd even look at him.

regio
01-17-2007, 03:16 PM
boozer, okur and williams = cornerstones.
I agree Utah is set in the frontcourt with okur and boozer. And they dont need another point guard because of williams so out the big 3 they would probably be most interested in Manu.

ArgSpursFan
01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Finley+Barry+Beno+Horry+a 1st. round pick +whatever else they want(exept TD,TP and Manu)

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 03:22 PM
A boost? Steroids, perhaps? Amphetamines?

phxspurfan
01-17-2007, 04:40 PM
A boost? Steroids, perhaps? Amphetamines?

well said.

bdictjames
01-17-2007, 04:46 PM
A healthy Kirilenko, Boozer, and Okur dont make a good Jazz team. THey should ship Andrei to us

polandprzem
01-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Vbookie:

Spurs 97 Lakers 88

AFBlue
01-17-2007, 04:59 PM
A healthy Kirilenko, Boozer, and Okur dont make a good Jazz team. THey should ship Andrei to us

By shipping Kirilenko to the Spurs the Jazz accomplish two things.

1. They definitively take themselves out of the running for a championship. Though he doesn't make them a favorite, him being gone certainly procludes them from the convo.

2. The help a western conference rival increase strength and push themselves further down the contention ladder.

Bottom Line: Kirilenko to the Spurs is a pipe-dream....but a good one.

SenorSpur
01-17-2007, 05:12 PM
They also want a first round pick. They've said it before.

If I'm the Spurs, I'd part with a 1st round pick. Let's face the Spurs likely wont use it anyway. Package that pick + Barry + Beno for Maggette. However, I'd want another player back (James Singleton or Quinton Rosee) or whatever it would take to make it work.

I'd do this deal and wouldn't look back.

cheguevara
01-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Okur is a beast. He's the heart of the Jazz

hero03msu
01-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Rob is mistaken the Mavs no longer run, they are half court and not very flashy.

Big P
01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
If I'm the Spurs, I'd part with a 1st round pick. Let's face the Spurs likely wont use it anyway. Package that pick + Barry + Beno for Maggette. However, I'd want another player back (James Singleton or Quinton Rosee) or whatever it would take to make it work.

I'd do this deal and wouldn't look back.

If we were going to include a 1st rounder, I would also expect another player back & I would like Korolev to be that player..he could be the long SF type player that we are looking for...the Clipps didn't extend his rookie contract this past summer, so he is going to become a FA.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 05:36 PM
The Clippers have said they'd take a FUTURE first round pick. So, 2008 or 2009. I doubt they'd let any of their small contracts go, since they're big on Quentin Ross and Singleton, and from what I hear, they might try to resign Korolev for a smaller contract than he had before. But Korolev doesn't matter one way or another - he's not NBA capable at this point.

BeerIsGood!
01-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Ship them a 2008 1st rounder. Probably not a high pick in a weaker draft.

SenorSpur
01-17-2007, 10:36 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marty_burns/01/17/spurs/index.html

Popovich surely agrees, which might be why he is playing it cool right now in regard to personnel moves. While word around the NBA is that the Spurs are looking for help, the coach continues to preach patience. He notes that he is still trying to find the right combinations, especially with injuries to Francisco Elson (shoulder) and Matt Bonner (knee), and that the goal is to be playing at peak level in March and April.

He also notes that if San Antonio hadn't suffered that Game 7 overtime loss to the Mavs in the conference finals a year ago, nobody would be doubting the Spurs right now.

"We gave that game away," Popovich said. "If [Ginobili's foul at the end of regulation] hadn't been committed, and we win the game, everybody would have talked about how beautifully those experienced Spurs players executed. But we lost, so it must be [that] we're getting old."

While Popovich makes a good point about media and fan overreaction, the fact is the Spurs are relying on aging veterans like Horry, Michael Finley and Brent Barry. Meanwhile, the NBA continues to become a faster game with more teams using small lineups. Rules changes have made it increasingly difficult for clubs like the Spurs to slow the tempo into a half-court game and take advantage of a dominant low-post scorer. San Antonio has tried to adjust this season, bringing in Elson and Bonner, but it might not be enough.

These comments are EXACTLY what pisses me off most about Pop. So I suppose if the Spurs had went on to win that crucial Game 7, then he would have retained Nazr, Rasho and others? It's bullshit. It angers me that he seems to think had they won that series that all would have been right with the world.

He reverted to "small ball" versus the Mavs because he felt it was the only way they had a chance to be competitive. He knew the league rules governing perimeter play had changed. He knew this would impact the way they've traditionally played. Yet he ignored it all.

How long have most fans been clamoring and pleading for a Bowen understudy? Yet we're the ones overracting -according to him. This roster needed an infusion of at least 1 or 2 athletic players even before the start of last season. Yet what did Pop do? He brought in old asses like Finley and NVE. Fucking genius! :pctoss

No matter how close that series was with the Mavs, the Spurs weaknesses were exposed. Yet Pop continued to surround the "Big 3" with age and experience over youth and athleticism. He's losing the gamble for the second year in a row. Again, it's organizational arrogance on his part.