PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons is on the Sunswagon

PhxDog
01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070117&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Highlights:

I watch all of their games. I rewind plays to see what they're doing and how they're doing it. I learn about basketball from them. I revel in their splendidry, and I don't even think splendidry is a word. They're the most consistently entertaining basketball team in 20 years. They have a chance to be historically good. You could be bouncing your grandkids on your lap someday and telling them that you watched the 2007 Suns.

With two reasonable breaks (Nash making the 3-pointer, Nowitzki missing the jumper), the Suns could be working on a 28-game winning streak right now. I've mentioned that to three people over the last 48 hours and all of them said the same thing: "Wait a second ... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????"

Barbosa: He'd be the best guard on more than half the teams in the league right now ... unstoppable off the dribble and a first-team member of the Streak Scorer All-Stars ... learned to run the offense just competently enough that they could bury Banks ... they'll even run plays for him in crunch time (like the 3 that beat the Bulls) ... I think he's one of the best 40 players in the league, a slightly more efficient version of Ben Gordon ... by the way, he's their sixth man.

Bell: Doesn't care about shots, nails open 3s (42 percent) and covers the best opposing scorer every game (although his defense is slightly overrated -- quicker guys like Gordon give him problems) ... he's also their fiercest competitor ... if they don't need his defense in crunch time, they'll play Barbosa over him and he won't complain about it ... I once wrote that he played like Bruce Bowen after four drinks -- I'd like to revise that to "Bowen after two shots of tequila and a slap to the face" ... and if that's not enough, he clearly aggravates Kobe, which counts for something.

Now the Suns are approaching that hallowed level and I never thought we'd see something like that again -- not with 29 teams, not with a salary cap, not with the lottery system, not when teams are so much smarter about not giving away future lottery picks for the likes of Don Ford and Gerald Henderson. If the Suns stay healthy, they should win 67-70 games and nobody should touch them in the playoffs except for Dallas, the one contender that can dictate a specific tempo and force its opponents to abide by it. Still, I can't imagine the Suns blowing a seven-game series -- not with their style of play (impossible to stop), not with the way they shoot free throws (everyone in the top six is over 80 percent except for Diaw), not with everyone they can throw at Nowitzki, not with Nash's new and improved killer instinct. Even their team defense has improved to the point that Barkley doesn't dismiss them anymore. They're a juggernaut with a terrific coach and no real holes other than a thin bench.

Welcome aboard, Bill! :lol

leemajors
01-17-2007, 03:07 PM
he's been gushing about the suns for the last few years - he always had a caveat about the spurs owning them in the past before though. the suns can run anyone out of the gym these days, i hope they don't do it badly to the spurs next time.

Bob Lanier
01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
When was he not? He's always been a fan of run-and-dumb basketball. He can be funny sometimes, though.

Xylus
01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Simmons has always been a fan, but he's never really taken us seriously until now. Didn't he have the Lakers beating us in last year's playoffs?

I found the article pretty surprising.

mabber
01-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Maybe we should just give the Suns the trophy now cuz Bill Simmons says they are one of the best teams ever :lol

SoCal Lakeshow
01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Maybe we should just give the Suns the trophy now cuz Bill Simmons says they are one of the best teams ever :lol
:lol :lol

BradLohaus
01-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I like Simmons, he's very funny, but he picked the Lakers to come out of the West last year before the playoffs started. He lets his emotions and what he would like to see happen interfere with his predictions. He would love to see the Suns win it all this year, you can tell.

mabber
01-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I like Simmons, he's very funny, but he picked the Lakers to come out of the West last year before the playoffs started. He lets his emotions and what he would like to see happen interfere with his predictions. He would love to see the Suns win it all this year, you can tell.

I agree, I think he's really funny. I read all his stuff.

Findog
01-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Here's some pertinent stats regarding Phoenix vs. Dallas.

Here's how they stack up against lottery/first round middle of the pack teams, the games they're supposed to win. How well do they take care of business against the featherweight division?

Phoenix: 22-1
Dallas: 21-2

Anything conclusive there? I don't think so. Who cares what Phoenix, Dallas and San Antonio do in Atlanta in February on the second night of a back to back?

Okay, here's the records against contending teams that will make the playoffs with a shot at the title, such as Rockets, Lakers, Jazz, and other middle-weight clubs:

Phoenix: 7-5
Dallas: 7-5

Still neck and neck.

Okay, here's the records against each other and San Antonio, the heavyweight class:

Dallas: 4-1
Phoenix: 0-3

confined
01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
i stopped reading when he said if dirk missed the jumper and nash hit that 3...guess what bill?!?! dirk didnt miss and nash did!!! barbosa isnt all that great either...idiot

JMarkJohns
01-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Shot here, shot there, sure, they could be riding a 28-game win streak... or they could be rockin' several 5-to-8 game win streaks over same span. He even made mention of a Suns game-winner, but not a thought on this side of the woulda-coulda-shoulda coin?

Suns offense is avery good. Their defense is improved. In all of their losses vs. the Spurs, Mavericks or Jazz, they were right there, likely one shot or stop away at the end of the game. Still, they aren't there yet and I believe some of the celebration is a bit premature.

Has Steve Nash officially become Peyton Manning? The Suns the Colts? I believe so.

dirk4mvp
01-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Shot here, shot there, sure, they could be riding a 28-game win streak... or they could be rockin' several 5-to-8 game win streaks over same span. He even made mention of a Suns game-winner, but not a thought on this side of the woulda-coulda-shoulda coin?

Suns offense is avery good. Their defense is improved. In all of their losses vs. the Spurs, Mavericks or Jazz, they were right there, likely one shot or stop away at the end of the game. Still, they aren't there yet and I believe some of the celebration is a bit premature.

Has Steve Nash officially become Peyton Manning? The Suns the Colts? I believe so.

Nah, because the Colts are gonna win the SB this year and I don't think the Suns will. :p:

1Parker1
01-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Suns are amazingly good. But at this point, I still have to give the edge to the Mavs. Suns have proven yet again this season, that they still don't have the defense to help them win close games. Mavs have the better all around game right now.

1Parker1
01-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Barbosa: He'd be the best guard on more than half the teams in the league

:wtf Better than Parker, Terry/Harris, Arenas, AI, Heinrich, Nash, Deron Williams, etc.???????

dirk4mvp
01-17-2007, 08:15 PM
^ That would just have to be blind homerism.

Amare_32
01-17-2007, 08:47 PM
:wtf Better than Parker, Terry/Harris, Arenas, AI, Heinrich, Nash, Deron Williams, etc.???????

He meant better than the Tinsleys,Duhons,Fords of the NBA. I think he is even better than Heinrich.
________
Mercedes-benz m156 engine specifications (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M156_engine)
________
Flirty18 cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Flirty18)

Amare_32
01-17-2007, 09:00 PM

Mad that he is not on the Mavs bandwagon?
________
CANNABIS COLLECTIVE (http://dispensaries.org/)
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

dirk4mvp
01-17-2007, 10:06 PM
He meant better than the Tinsleys,Duhons,Fords of the NBA. I think he is even better than Heinrich.

Him and Hinrich are about neck and neck in all stats.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2007, 10:51 PM
The suns are a great regular season team

Amare_32
01-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Make that 11 wins in a row.
________
Mercedes-benz w460 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W460)
________
DiamondKitten (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/DiamondKitten/)

sandeepgm
01-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Well they got quite a streak going on...Although it took them a while to put the mcgrady less rockets away. Maybe they just couldnt get up for this....

Amare_32
01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Well they got quite a streak going on...Although it took them a while to put the mcgrady less rockets away. Maybe they just couldnt get up for this....

Well that happens to alot of teams. Plus those are still NBA players in Houston. They were not going to allow themselves to be embarrased at home McGrady or no McGrady. The Raptors gave the Mavs all they can handle and more yet the Mavs still won it.
________
Suzuki Dr-Z Series History (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_DR-Z_Series)
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

RonMexico
01-18-2007, 02:08 AM
I was at the game - Suns came out flat - Rockets home crowd was the loudest I've heard them in a long time. Then Suns had two big runs in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and the Rockets' shots stopped falling and bam, Suns rattle off the 11th.

For all of you out there who says Simmons has been in love with the Suns for years, that is completely NOT TRUE. He has ripped the Suns repeatedly over the past 2 years, and only said that they're the best offensive team in the league and likes their style of play.

All of you are correct about him writing off emotion, and I wrote him a 2-page long email last year blasting his analysis of the Suns and his inability to let go of the 1986 Celtics - perhaps this was his response.

Lastly, when Dirk had his 50-point game last year in game 5, Simmons put him in the "Pantheon" of playoff greats (based on some calculation he and his college buddies came up with) and then called the Suns the "biggest floppers, whiners, and cheaters" in the league, saying that Manu Ginobili is just "itching to get traded to this team." So... he isn't always stroking the Suns/Mavs/Spurs jock. It's refreshing to see him finally give the Suns a little bit of credit for what I think have been 38 amazing games so far - no team since the 92-93 season has had me in such a state of emotional flux (i.e. "they can win the title" & then, "no they can't, they're gonna blow it in the playoffs").

By the way, no one has mentioned Simmons' scenario of the Suns bringing in Rashard Lewis or getting a top 5 pick from Atlanta next year? As much as I would hate to see Kurt Thomas go (for his "wise old man" factor), Rashard Lewis could bring this team to a whole different level.

Xylus
01-18-2007, 04:05 AM
I'd rather have David Lee before Rashard Lewis. Lewis will do nothing to shore up our weaknesses, but a rebounding force like Lee would help us tremendously...

RonMexico
01-18-2007, 06:52 AM
I'd rather have David Lee before Rashard Lewis. Lewis will do nothing to shore up our weaknesses, but a rebounding force like Lee would help us tremendously...

I had a similar thought, as well. But then I realized that Lewis is 6-10 with a good vertical leap and a rebounding front line of Lewis, Amare, and Marion sounds just as effective as one that includes Diaw, Amare and Marion. The combinations are endless and the scoring he could provide from the 3 or 4 spot is incredible.

My point is - like Simmons's - that the Suns would be the most well-rested team in the world because no one would have to play much more than 30 minutes per night. All someone has to do is motivate Rashard to rebound in Marion's likeness (i.e. timing and hustle - to the tune of 7 or so boards per game) and they're golden.

I also think, and Bob Lanier disagrees with me, that it is quicker and easier to motivate a player and teach him to scramble after rebounds (especially with a coach like Ivaroni) than it is to teach that player how to shoot. I'd still love to have David Lee more than anything in the world, but I fear that's a big pipe dream because I don't know how they could pull it off (even with Isiah on the other end). I also think that Rashard Lewis could provide so much more offensively than Lee and maybe add that extra element in a half-court game (and I don't think Lee could hit that 15-ft jumper like Kurt Thomas could).

I just don't know if Lee's hustle and rebounding will be that beneficial in the long haul of a whole series with the Suns' style of play. However, I'm in no way trying to discredit his value or his game, because I love the guy's old-school nature. It's just I'd never really thought of Rashard Lewis until Simmons brought it up, and I started looking at stats. Then, I realized that with the proper direction, he could probably turn into a really good player. Then again, so could Lee, but I think Lewis would provide the most immediate help for 2007. Still, I don't want to part with Kurt Thomas because I still feel he is valuable to the Suns in more ways than stats can show.

mabber
01-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Mad that he is not on the Mavs bandwagon?

Actually, I'm happy he's not. He was on the Mavs bandwagon in playoffs last season and you see how that turned out.

mabber
01-18-2007, 08:35 AM
I had a similar thought, as well. But then I realized that Lewis is 6-10 with a good vertical leap and a rebounding front line of Lewis, Amare, and Marion sounds just as effective as one that includes Diaw, Amare and Marion. The combinations are endless and the scoring he could provide from the 3 or 4 spot is incredible.

My point is - like Simmons's - that the Suns would be the most well-rested team in the world because no one would have to play much more than 30 minutes per night. All someone has to do is motivate Rashard to rebound in Marion's likeness (i.e. timing and hustle - to the tune of 7 or so boards per game) and they're golden.

I also think, and Bob Lanier disagrees with me, that it is quicker and easier to motivate a player and teach him to scramble after rebounds (especially with a coach like Ivaroni) than it is to teach that player how to shoot. I'd still love to have David Lee more than anything in the world, but I fear that's a big pipe dream because I don't know how they could pull it off (even with Isiah on the other end). I also think that Rashard Lewis could provide so much more offensively than Lee and maybe add that extra element in a half-court game (and I don't think Lee could hit that 15-ft jumper like Kurt Thomas could).

I just don't know if Lee's hustle and rebounding will be that beneficial in the long haul of a whole series with the Suns' style of play. However, I'm in no way trying to discredit his value or his game, because I love the guy's old-school nature. It's just I'd never really thought of Rashard Lewis until Simmons brought it up, and I started looking at stats. Then, I realized that with the proper direction, he could probably turn into a really good player. Then again, so could Lee, but I think Lewis would provide the most immediate help for 2007. Still, I don't want to part with Kurt Thomas because I still feel he is valuable to the Suns in more ways than stats can show.

Lewis has a lot of talent, but like you said motivating him would be the key. He's a loser but sometimes guys change and mature a bit.

polandprzem
01-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Lewis would be everything the suns need to get the LOB Trophy.

They are simply amazing.

Can you call a Nashy 3 peat mvp? Goodness greashes :wow

Who could imagine that 5 years back?

LEONARD
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Fool's gold...

RonMexico
01-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Lewis has a lot of talent, but like you said motivating him would be the key. He's a loser but sometimes guys change and mature a bit.

Yeah, he came into the league with a little chip on his shoulder at being a 2nd round pick and if someone can harness that type of energy out of him all the time, then he can be a beast. Kind of how Amare started becoming more of a team player this year and more willing to fight for boards and play defense, I think the Suns' staff can get that out of Lewis.

To me, his stats were mind-blowing: 48% FG, 40% 3P, 90% FT and 7 boards per game... no way those stats could get worse in a Phoenix uniform and he wouldn't have to play 37 mins per game. Him and Marion could each top out at like 35. I don't know how he would fit in chemistry-wise but I'd be more willing to make this trade than one for Mike Miller.

mabber
01-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah, he came into the league with a little chip on his shoulder at being a 2nd round pick and if someone can harness that type of energy out of him all the time, then he can be a beast. Kind of how Amare started becoming more of a team player this year and more willing to fight for boards and play defense, I think the Suns' staff can get that out of Lewis.

To me, his stats were mind-blowing: 48% FG, 40% 3P, 90% FT and 7 boards per game... no way those stats could get worse in a Phoenix uniform and he wouldn't have to play 37 mins per game. Him and Marion could each top out at like 35. I don't know how he would fit in chemistry-wise but I'd be more willing to make this trade than one for Mike Miller.

I think he'd be a better fit on the floor at the end of playoff games than Marion is. At least from an offensive standpoint.

Greg Oden
01-18-2007, 06:33 PM
RonMexico is a retard. You can't bring water bottles on an airplane. :lol

mabber
01-18-2007, 07:19 PM
RonMexico is a retard. You can't bring water bottles on an airplane. :lol

Vick certainly isn't the sharpest tool in the shed :lol

dallaskd
01-18-2007, 07:23 PM

1Parker1
01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Suns look a little different this season. I have a feeling it will finally be their time to make it to the Finals this season........and lose.

I can see them possibly knocking off Dallas.

RonMexico
01-18-2007, 09:36 PM
I think he'd be a better fit on the floor at the end of playoff games than Marion is. At least from an offensive standpoint.

Yeah - that's what I think too. He could be at PF or SF and Marion can still be on the floor for his defense and rebounding. That's what the Suns have missed since Joe Johnson left - that true 3rd scorer who could do a lot of different things in the half-court.

JMarkJohns
01-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I'd trade for Mike Miller in a second. Mike Miller/Hakim Warrick/Dahntay Jones for Kurt Thomas/Marcus Banks/Atlanta 1st and Phoenix 1st (both 2006).

Gives the Suns two more inexpensive athletes and a great shooter in Miller, a player who can also rebound and pass.

Memphis does this because they clear roughly 9 million in CAP space at the end of next year, they get another PG prospect to develop and two 1st rounders, including a potential top-5 pick to add to their potential top-3 pick. Memphis keeps Gasol, Gay and Lowry, their three building blocks.

BUMP
01-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Suns are too good

SoCal Lakeshow
01-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I'd trade for Mike Miller in a second. Mike Miller/Hakim Warrick/Dahntay Jones for Kurt Thomas/Marcus Banks/Atlanta 1st and Phoenix 1st (both 2006).
Suns would be fools to make that trade. Those 2 picks are gold.

TheMulvany
01-18-2007, 11:07 PM
I like how he says "if it wasn't for 2 game the Suns would be on a 28 game winning streak."

Yeah, and if it wasn't for 20 games the Kings would be on a 30 game winning streak.

Come back when the Suns have beaten a good team. Half their games have been against the East. Even with the Spurs struggles, the Suns could never beat them. The Spurs completely own them, and the Mavs have won 4 straight against them going back to last year (and 6 out of the last 7).

RonMexico
01-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I like how he says "if it wasn't for 2 game the Suns would be on a 28 game winning streak."

Yeah, and if it wasn't for 20 games the Kings would be on a 30 game winning streak.

Come back when the Suns have beaten a good team. Half their games have been against the East. Even with the Spurs struggles, the Suns could never beat them. The Spurs completely own them, and the Mavs have won 4 straight against them going back to last year (and 6 out of the last 7).

It's impossible to win 6 out of the last 7 when the Suns won 2 against Dallas in the regular season last year and 2 in the WCF - that glaring error in statistics doesn't even outweigh the rest of your innaccurate argument.

RonMexico
01-18-2007, 11:47 PM

Gives the Suns two more inexpensive athletes and a great shooter in Miller, a player who can also rebound and pass.

Memphis does this because they clear roughly 9 million in CAP space at the end of next year, they get another PG prospect to develop and two 1st rounders, including a potential top-5 pick to add to their potential top-3 pick. Memphis keeps Gasol, Gay and Lowry, their three building blocks.

I would never take Mr. Inconsistency - aka Mike Miller - ever. There are better prospects in this upcoming draft (where the Suns have 2 picks) than Dahntay Jones or Hakim Warrick - including guys who are as athletic as Warrick, but can shoot MUCH better.

I would take Jason Kapono on the cheap over Mike Miller who will think his sixth man of the year award actually means he should get paid more for making boneheaded mistakes, growing his hair long, getting stupid tattoos on his forearm and smoking too much weed. The biggest shot he's ever hit was his sophomore year against Butler in the first round of the NCAA tourney. It's been downhill since then. At least with Kapono, you don't expect too much so when he shoots well and plays unselfishly, you can be very satisfied.

Besides, if Suns get rid of Kurt Thomas, they'd need to get a bigger body than Warrick.

JMarkJohns
01-19-2007, 12:24 AM
I had both Miller and Lewis on my fantasy team last year. I can tell you, Miller is more consistant across the board than Lewis. Even in scoring. Seriously.

I'm perfectly content to sit pretty and pray the Hawks pick at four or five. This gives the Suns a decent shot at Noah or Wright, assuming Oden declares.

I like Miller a lot. Much more than Lewis. Miller at least tries to rebound and stick with his man. Plus he's smart and a good passer. Lewis' value stems only from his shot, which isn't as consistant as most believe.

JMarkJohns
01-19-2007, 12:44 AM
What I 'spected. Miller gives you as many rebounds and steals, more assists and better 3-point shooting than does Lewis. Lewis may be taller by two inches, but is actually several pounds lighter than Miller, so his height advantage is offset by Miller's strength advantage. Plus, Miller has the versatility to play SG, SF or even the occasional PF alongside Amare at C and Marion at SF.

Of course, like I said, I'd rather keep Thomas and the picks, but I do like the thought of Miller and wish there was a way to get him without giving up Thomas.

pking
01-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Suns lost to Washington too...no? How does the making a three/dirk missing a shot = 28 game streak?

RonMexico
01-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Suns lost to Washington too...no? How does the making a three/dirk missing a shot = 28 game streak?

Because Nash had a chance to win the Washington game in regulation with that 3.

mavsfan1000
01-19-2007, 03:39 AM
Suns look a little different this season. I have a feeling it will finally be their time to make it to the Finals this season........and lose.

I can see you don't know much about basketball. lol

dieman8686
01-19-2007, 03:59 AM

If Suns Knock off the Mavs or Spurs and make it to the Finals, they won't lose.. :lol and to who :wtf .

pking
01-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Ah, I getcha.

Still kind of a stretch...even if Dirk misses that shot, there's no guarantee they win the game. Woulda gone into OT and at that point it's anybodies game. I can't say about the Washington game...I watched it, but I don't remember how exactly it panned out.

Either way, Suns are playing great right now.

RonMexico
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Both teams are playing great. Just when I think T-Mac or Kobe could take down the Mavs and help the Suns move into a tie for first, the Mavs just pull out a monster 3rd quarter and that's it.

fitzgerald
01-19-2007, 03:51 PM
It is a fun streak to watch. Props to both teams. Makes you wonder the makeup of the Mavericks if Nash had stayed. I still can not believe Nash made that much of a difference for Phoenix. They are definitely headed for a crash course provided other teams (San Antonio) don't wake up.