PDA

View Full Version : Butler question

raspsa
01-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Does anyone have info on what progress jackie Butler has been making? Is he really that overweight and out of shape? I'm curious because with the injuries to Elson and Bonner, he would have been another option for Pop. I know the plan is to bring him along slowly and he'll have very limited playing time, if any, this season but atthe same time he has had experience playing for the Knicks. I just think he may be needed if the injury bug keeps hitting the team, specially the bigs.

Kori Ellis
01-17-2007, 07:35 PM
He's a lot lighter and in much better shape than when he first got here. But I don't think the Spurs think he's ready to get playing time here.

BeerIsGood!
01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Have they thought about D-League for him to get some court time? Is there a reason why this wouldn't be a good option for now? The only thing I can think of is that they want him practicing against Timmy and the rest of the team.

timvp
It seems as if the Spurs are going to put him in the deep freezer. If they buried a 30-year-old center last year (Oberto), I don't think the 21-year-old Butler has much of a shot to see court time this year.

He's going to have to keep working out during the year, practice hard and play on the summer league team next year and then in training camp he'll have to show he deserves a spot in the rotation.

I don't know if I agree with how they are handling him seeing as there aren't many quality bigs on this team, but if Butler buys into everything the Spurs tell him and he doesn't lose focus due to lack of playing time, he's going to have a bright future.

timvp
Have they thought about D-League for him to get some court time? Is there a reason why this wouldn't be a good option for now? The only thing I can think of is that they want him practicing against Timmy and the rest of the team.

Can't send him to the D-League. This is his third year in the league.

BeerIsGood!
01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Can't send him to the D-League. This is his third year in the league.
thanks - I didn't know the restrictions on that.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 07:47 PM
He developed in the D-League for a time, if I recall. One of Isiah's first finds there, the second being Ime Udoka (a player the Spurs could use).

raspsa
01-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Pop is very conservative and deliberate. Probably his military background has something to do with it but its almost like boot camp where he indoctrinates young players into the Spurs system and philosophy, building up their conditioning and preparing them for bigger roles. Not good for impatient fans and hopefully the players don't get frustrated with lack of playing time but the end result is usually someone who can sacrifice his ego for the good of the whole.

BeerIsGood!
01-17-2007, 08:15 PM
that may be giving him a bit too much credit

Budkin
01-17-2007, 08:16 PM
I really wish Pop would just chill the fuck out and play Jackie. What the hell do we have to lose?

timvp
01-17-2007, 08:17 PM
He developed in the D-League for a time, if I recall. One of Isiah's first finds there, the second being Ime Udoka (a player the Spurs could use).

That was the CBA.

Mr. Body
01-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Ah. Thanks.

TDMVPDPOY
01-18-2007, 12:57 AM
pop = larry = hates to play unproven players = fuck him