PDA

View Full Version : Oberto...

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-18-2007, 12:12 AM
What is everyone's opinion on Oberto? I keep hearing that he's the best big man defender the spurs have, but I feel he's too undersized to effect enough shots at the rim, which is what the old fashion Spurs defense was about.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 12:13 AM
He's an excellent basketball mind in the body of a garden gnome.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 12:14 AM
The Spurs always go small now-a-days anyway. So it doesn't matter if he's good or not :lol

Or maybe because he's not that good is why they go small.

Who knows.

samikeyp
01-18-2007, 12:15 AM
He's an excellent basketball mind in the body of a garden gnome.

:lol

That screams to be photoshopped! :)

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 12:15 AM
lots of heart, great b-ball iq...a little to short for our defensive scheme. but hey, it is what it is. i can't wait for frankie to get back and see what he can offer.

Budkin
01-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Amen... Frankie Elson would seem like a God-send at this point.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure if Elson would help other than being tall. But hey, he's another body to try.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-18-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm not sure if Elson would help other than being tall. But hey, he's another body to try.

Elson at least has the length, not much on the basketball IQ, but if he can get some what accustomed to the Spurs D philosophy, he could make the Defense look alot better

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Elson at least has the length, not much on the basketball IQ, but if he can get some what accustomed to the Spurs D philosophy, he could make the Defense look alot better

Well that hadn't happened before he got hurt. He was getting yelled at by teammates and coaches constantly.

So hopefully he learned something by watching.

Bob Lanier
01-18-2007, 12:25 AM

I like the first result for "garden gnome" on Google.

E20
01-18-2007, 12:28 AM
He has a habit of blowing wide open layups.

ShoogarBear
01-18-2007, 12:29 AM
He's an excellent basketball mind in the body of a garden gnome.:lol

mavsfan1000
01-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Oberto for Mohammad.

Marcus Bryant
01-18-2007, 12:30 AM
You're right, he is the best.

:depressed

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Well that hadn't happened before he got hurt. He was getting yelled at by teammates and coaches constantly.

this is my prayer to the Spurs god :lol :lol :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-18-2007, 12:35 AM
i just wish he was a wee bit quicker.

SenorSpur
01-18-2007, 12:37 AM

At this point, no one on this team has a right to yell at anyone. Everybody's fucking up - even Duncan.

As for Oberto, I thought he was too undersized last year to play the 5. Unfortunately for him, he hasn't grown any over the offseason. Good hustle player with smarts.

TDMVPDPOY
01-18-2007, 12:38 AM
his a scrub

dbestpro
01-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Oberto is exactly what he was last year. At best a second or third string center. The problem is he gets too many minutes now. Horry too.

timvp
01-18-2007, 12:41 AM
The Spurs' best bigman defender at the moment is Robert Horry by far. It's not even close.

The sad part is that's counting Tim Duncan.

Fabbs
01-18-2007, 12:42 AM
What is everyone's opinion on Oberto? I keep hearing that he's the best big man defender the spurs have, but I feel he's too undersized to effect enough shots at the rim, which is what the old fashion Spurs defense was about.
Should have never been more then an off bench role player who looks like he is really 6'8" and can barely jump over a piece of paper.
Pop-An-Adjustment has him at starting center. :elephant

v2freak
01-18-2007, 12:44 AM
What impresses me is his mentality. Pass first, shoot second always. Consequently, his FG% is very impressive because he takes good shots

ShoogarBear
01-18-2007, 12:58 AM
At this point, no one on this team has a right to yell at anyone. Everybody's fucking up - even Duncan.This is an good point. I didn't see Elson anywhere on the court during the Brian Cook Open Dunk.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Pop needs to quit walking on egg-shells around some of these "veteran players" and quit worrying about hurting feelings and start punishing players for their crappy and un-inspiring play

timvp
01-18-2007, 01:09 AM
If a player is guarding Oberto, he gets blocked about 70% of the time.

kris
01-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Should have never been more then an off bench role player who looks like he is really 6'8" and can barely jump over a piece of paper.
Pop-An-Adjustment has him at starting center. :elephant

You must speak some slang English where barely = can't.

In a few years when we have a better sucky center, we'll look and say man I can't believe the Spurs ever started that guy at center. What was that guys name? It reminded me of salted jerky...

Das Texan
01-18-2007, 01:15 AM

The Spurs dont play Spurs basketball anymore. So Elson probably only learned how to be a lazy fuck on defense.

Kori Ellis
... What was that guys name? It reminded me of salted jerky...

:lmao

ShoogarBear
The Spurs dont play Spurs basketball anymore. So Elson probably only learned how to be a lazy fuck on defense.:lol Some good catharsis going on in the threads tonight.

Texas_Ranger
01-18-2007, 02:25 AM
He sucks! He will play you one good game and then for ten games we will see nothing from him.

Budkin
01-18-2007, 04:02 AM

Ok I was bored and couldn't sleep...

http://www.rememberfred.com/images/oberto_gnome.jpg

WalterBenitez
01-18-2007, 05:23 AM
He needs to dunk intead of those lay ups he usually miss, I'd say Scola is better for Spurs offense.

Spurs Brazil
01-18-2007, 08:38 AM
For me Oberto is a MAJOR defense liability

He can't chance a single shoot. I don't even saying block shoots.

After see Oberto playing yesterday I'm missing Rasho

Russ
01-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Oberto looks like an Achilles heel on this team. His shots under the hoop are almost automatically blocked. When he's standing alone under the basket and gets a crisp pass you just hope he can get it up before someone flies in from the weakside to swat it.

He's too slow and floorbound to do much on defense.

However, the pessimists seem to forget that the team hasn't had Elson for a while. He is the key to this team advancing -- especially aganist Dallas. What is that stat -- when Elson plays 20+ minutes, the Spurs are 20-1 or so. The Spurs look like a different team when Elson is running up and down the court.

objective
01-18-2007, 10:09 AM
look on the brightside guys.

Oberto will be 32 by the time the playoffs come.

ShoogarBear
01-18-2007, 10:14 AM

The Gnome is out of bounds.

SAGambler
01-18-2007, 10:14 AM
At this point, no one on this team has a right to yell at anyone. Everybody's fucking up - even Duncan.

I would say "especially Duncan". Not only does he take a lot of ill advised shots, he's making more than his fair share of turn overs, and suddenly has this "attitude" about not getting calls that he feels he should have gotten.

I think this is starting to rub off on the rest of the team.

Time for Duncan to suck it up and quit worrying about calls, and pass up on those forced shots he takes.

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Oberto looks like an Achilles heel on this team. His shots under the hoop are almost automatically blocked. When he's standing alone under the basket and gets a crisp pass you just hope he can get it up before someone flies in from the weakside to swat it.

He's too slow and floorbound to do much on defense.

However, the pessimists seem to forget that the team hasn't had Elson for a while. He is the key to this team advancing -- especially aganist Dallas. What is that stat -- when Elson plays 20+ minutes, the Spurs are 20-1 or so. The Spurs look like a different team when Elson is running up and down the court.

elson may not have as high a b-ball IQ on defense but his ability to run the floor in invaluable and puts incredible pressure on the opposing bigs. The transition game is awesome with him and tony. i'm praying to the Spurs God that Elson will return with a keener awareness of the defensive scheme and we'll finally have a competent big next to timmy. If we have to rely on Obi in the 5 spot, we're not going to make much noise come playoff time.

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 10:23 AM
I would say "especially Duncan". Not only does he take a lot of ill advised shots, he's making more than his fair share of turn overs, and suddenly has this "attitude" about not getting calls that he feels he should have gotten.

I think this is starting to rub off on the rest of the team.

Time for Duncan to suck it up and quit worrying about calls, and pass up on those forced shots he takes.

over the past few games, timmy has made me happy by playing through and complaining less about fouls. earlier this season, he couldn't do anything because he would complain to every ref in sight about what he perceived to be a foul.

what i need timmy to do now is to be more decisive once he gets the ball. either make a quick aggressive move or pass the ball. an old coach of mine always said if you can't get by your man in 2 to 3 dribbles, pass the fucking ball. the longer you hold it, the easier it becomes to defend the team. so timmy, no more 5 second holds to draw the double. make a quick move to AVOID the double and if it comes on the catch, make a quick pass out to get the defense rotating.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Nicely done, Budkin.

ploto
01-18-2007, 10:42 AM

Nazr- part II

diego
01-18-2007, 04:21 PM
oberto is a role player, and his D is adequate. it wasnt oberto clanking 3s and turning the ball over every 2 minutes. if oberto is keeping the spurs from winning, what does that say about the rest of our team?