PDA

View Full Version : Bowen Accepts Blame for Only 4 Players on the Floor

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Spurs' Bowen sits, which costs team dearly

Web Posted: 01/18/2007 12:56 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011807.07C.BKNspurs.bowen.22485ad.html

When Brent Barry arched in a 3-point shot with 5.3 seconds left in Wednesday's Spurs-Lakers game at the AT&T Center, it sliced a five-point Lakers lead to two and made Bruce Bowen cringe just a little.

In that instant, Bowen knew his mental miscue at the start of the fourth quarter had cost the Spurs an opportunity to possibly tie the game with another 3-pointer, regardless of what the Lakers did at the foul line after an intentional Spurs foul.

Bowen thought he had been subbed out of the game at the end of the third quarter and did not take the court to start the fourth. In fact, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had not made a change at his position and thought Bowen would take the court to begin the final period.

"It's my fault," Bowen said. "Pop didn't sub me out, and that was that."

Fifteen seconds into the quarter, the referees called a technical foul when they realized only four Spurs were on the floor. Sasha Vujacic made the technical, giving the Lakers a 74-71 lead.

It might have seemed sporting of the Spurs to play four against five, but NBA rules require five players on the court for each team.

The mistake was critical after Barry's 3-pointer, and Bowen knew it. Instead of having to hope Lakers All-Star Kobe Bryant would miss at least one of the two foul shots he was awarded with 4.9 seconds left, the Spurs would have had time to set up for a 3-pointer that could have sent the game to overtime.

Popovich said it was not a matter of miscommunication. Rather, it was a complete lack of communication.

"There was no communication," Popovich said. "There was only one change made. Tim Duncan came into the game."

Bowen had done an outstanding job of defending Bryant in the final 51/2 minutes, converting him from crunch-time scorer to set-up man. He blocked one of Bryant's passes to teammate Manu Ginobili to start a play that gave the Spurs their first lead of the fourth, at 91-90.

In the end, all Bowen could do was lament his mistake and rue the Spurs' erratic play at the start of the final period.

"Erratic play," Bowen said of the Spurs' 1-for-8 shooting and three turnovers in the first five minutes of the final period.

Bowen carped at referees Ed. F. Rush, Bill Kennedy and Pat Fraher about Bryant's use of his off arm to create space on his way to the basket.

"I thought he created a lot of stuff to the basket and was rewarded for that with a lot of 'and-ones' tonight," Bowen said, his lips pursed a bit. "It is tough for the guys who are trying to help out, realizing they've got to get in position real early, or halfway to where they can contest the shot."

Fillmoe
01-18-2007, 02:26 AM
i wish i could post my gifs of both times kobe dunked on tim......

Sacramental
01-18-2007, 02:30 AM
bowen screwed you guys the game..

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:38 AM
bowen screwed you guys the game..

Not really, there were a lot more f'ups that were equally as stupid. :downspin:

Sacramental
01-18-2007, 02:39 AM
but that late in the game?

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:39 AM
but that late in the game?

Bowen's mistake was at the start of the 4th quarter. And yes, there were a lot of mistakes after that. :drunk

ChumpDumper
01-18-2007, 02:41 AM
He was ordered to take the blame.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 02:42 AM
And so it was written. Pop's still God's gift to coaching, it's Bowen's fault that the Spurs were Bowen's screw up away from having a chance to hit a three at home against the Lakers to force overtime.

No mention of Parker sitting out while the Lakers flipped the deficit on the scoreboard, no mention of the annointed one's (#21) lack of defense while Kwame and Brian Cook showed off their best dunks.

Man I'm tired of this shit. Can't wait to hear the bullshit excuses about what a great locker room guy Barry is when we don't pull the trigger on a trade and limp into the playoffs and get smoked by the Mavs.

:pctoss

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:44 AM

Agreed. Well maybe not ordered, but probably understood. He was obviously the one that wasn't supposed to come out. I just don't believe he completely decided on his own to sit.

midgetonadonkey
01-18-2007, 02:45 AM
Why does Bowen still get so many minutes? He didn't do shit to stop Kobe and he is an offensive liability. Bowen starting is the problem with this team.

timvp
01-18-2007, 02:45 AM

Thanks, ploto.

:dizzy :drunk

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 02:50 AM
Why does Bowen still get so many minutes? He didn't do shit to stop Kobe and he is an offensive liability. Bowen starting is the problem with this team.

bowen is becoming less useful to the team. most teams have 4 solid scoring options on the floor at all times and a serviceable center. we're playing 3 on 5 most times and since bowen can't do much on the offensive end, the "best player" that he's guarding gets to rest on d. the best way to attack a kobe or any top scoring player is to make them play d. it'll tire them out. maggs is the perfect option even if we have to give up a little on d...which has been sucking anyway.

AFE7FATMAN
01-18-2007, 02:52 AM
And so it was written. Pop's still God's gift to coaching, it's Bowen's fault that the Spurs were Bowen's screw up away from having a chance to hit a three at home against the Lakers to force overtime.

No mention of Parker sitting out while the Lakers flipped the deficit on the scoreboard, no mention of the annointed one's (#21) lack of defense while Kwame and Brian Cook showed off their best dunks.

Man I'm tired of this shit. Can't wait to hear the bullshit excuses about what a great locker room guy Barry is when we don't pull the trigger on a trade and limp into the playoffs and get smoked by the Mavs, OR SUNS
:pctoss
:clap :clap :clap
Thanks in advance for permission,:lol, to edit,(OR SUNS), your otherwise outstanding post.

AFE7FATMAN
01-18-2007, 02:56 AM
Why does Bowen still get so many minutes? ......

He works for cheap, buys POP wine, and Management can call him in to
work on his day off, to help clean RC's rug.

LA24
01-18-2007, 03:01 AM
...while Kwame and Brian Cook showed off their best dunks.

Kwame had a dunk ? Wow. Amazing, that guy !!
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 03:03 AM

You might have meant Andrew Bynum or any other Laker actually in uniform.

LA24
01-18-2007, 03:07 AM
You might have meant Andrew Bynum or any other Laker actually in uniform.

I think he may have meant Space Cadet (Vlade Rad.). Well, at least that's what Phil Jackson calls him. :lol

milkyway21
01-18-2007, 03:07 AM
Fifteen seconds into the quarter, the referees called a technical foul when they realized only four Spurs were on the floor. If i remember correctly, we were in the same situation before.. i think it was Parker who shld be in that game but remained on the bench. i just don't remember of the tech..

LA24
01-18-2007, 03:15 AM
According to LA times, Odom and Brown will likely be back next week. So when we play you guys on the 28th, we should have everyone back (minus Mihm, but who cares). That will be a good game I hope. Spurs Vs Lakers 3x a year is not enough. :madrun

AFBlue
01-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Accepting blame for the mess up is okay, though I don't think Bowen ever said "I cost us the game" like Ludden intimated. That's a big leap. Agree with Kori that there were several other miscues/turnovers in the game that made a difference.