PDA

View Full Version : Fast Food?

cornbread
01-18-2007, 02:29 AM
So I'm watching Super Size Me and according to the fast food ranking system, I'm considered a "Heavy User" because I eat fast food 3-5 times per week. I think their system is flawed because so much of my fast food consumption is Bill Millers and Taco Cabana.

Are you a Heavy User?
Should Bill Millers and Taco Cabana be considered "fast food"?

Fillmoe
01-18-2007, 02:29 AM
i eat fast food about 3-5 times a month.......

CuckingFunt
01-18-2007, 03:02 AM
I'd assume that if the ranking system came from Super Size Me, it would be dealing more specifically with the burger chains -- could be wrong since I've never seen the entire film -- like McDonald's and Jack In The Box.

There are lots of restaurants/chains I can think of that serve food fast, but that wouldn't necessarily spring to mind when thinking of "fast food."

If the ranking system is just based on the super fattening/greasy end of the spectrum and a heavy user is qualified as someone who eats there 3-5 times a week... yech... can't imagine that. I enjoy a good burger every now and then, but I'd be surprised if I'd had that type of fast food 3-5 times in the last year.

mavsfan1000
01-18-2007, 05:09 AM
I ate Mcdonalds for the first time today. lol

leemajors
01-18-2007, 11:00 AM
bill miller and taco cabana both have drive thru windows and are both heavy, fatty food - i think that could be considered fast food.

boutons_
01-18-2007, 11:17 AM
"Bill Millers and Taco Cabana"

Fast Food/drive-thru doesn't always mean Junk Food.

BM, Panda Express, the deli sandwich shops aren't junk food. I find Panda Express to be much higher quality than any just about any other chain food shop.

TC is Mexican food which is not junk, but isn't healthy, due to lard or carbs in refriend beans, tortillas, and the grease in nearly everything. The healthiest stuff is the salsas and the salads.

The burger/pizza/chicken chains are are of course total, suicidal crap, which is the target of Super Size Me and Fast Food Nation.

"If you serve (sh)it, they will eat (sh)it"

CubanMustGo
01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
It ain't just fast food that sucks. The great majority of restaurant food is prepared using so much crap it isn't even funny, and the portion sizes are huge. If you eat out a lot you are going to gain weight unless you really exercise a lot of discretion in what you eat (and unless you exercise). I

There's a reason most restaurants don't make nutritional information available, either in side or on the www. Check out a few that do and may be surprised.

cornbread
01-18-2007, 12:22 PM
I have vowed to remove fast food from my diet in 2007. I've spiraled out of control by letting it get to 3-5 times per week. The catch is that I don't consider Bill Miller's or TC's fast food so bring on the Po'Boys and fajitas!!

Sonia_TX
01-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Since starting my diet back in May I don't eat much fast food. Probably once or twice a month if even that. I think before it was at least 2 to 3 times a week because it was fast and convenient. I miss it though but it's better in the long run.

polandprzem
01-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I do not eat junk food including the Fast Foods

Should I be proud of it?

all in all we are here on this planet to have pleasure from what we are doing. We gonna die EVERYBODY so why worry about the Fast Food?
Diseases? Sickneses? You've got pain killers. Then you die as everybody else.

Worth rethinking

johnsmith
01-18-2007, 06:15 PM
"Bill Millers and Taco Cabana"

Fast Food/drive-thru doesn't always mean Junk Food.

BM, Panda Express, the deli sandwich shops aren't junk food. I find Panda Express to be much higher quality than any just about any other chain food shop.

TC is Mexican food which is not junk, but isn't healthy, due to lard or carbs in refriend beans, tortillas, and the grease in nearly everything. The healthiest stuff is the salsas and the salads.

The burger/pizza/chicken chains are are of course total, suicidal crap, which is the target of Super Size Me and Fast Food Nation.

"If you serve (sh)it, they will eat (sh)it"

If more then 25% of the people in the joint are obese (of which Taco Cabana is definately included), then it's fast food.

td4mvp21
01-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Anybody read "Fast Food Nation"? There's a good chance that it would change your outlook on fast food.

ObiwanGinobili
01-18-2007, 06:45 PM
bill millers and taco cabana are definatly fast food.
hell even most sit-down restaurant food is JUNK.

we are sopposed to be eating between 1500 and 2500 calories per day depending on body type and lifestyle..
check out the southwest eggrolls at Chili;s: 810 cal. per, 51g of fat, 1250mg sodium
the chicken scallopini at macaroni grill: 1110 cal, 714g fat, 2870mg sodium

it;s insane out there.

Bob Lanier
01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Does booze count?

v2freak
01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Once a week for me

Samurai Jane
01-18-2007, 08:13 PM

we are sopposed to be eating between 1500 and 2500 calories per day depending on body type and lifestyle..
check out the southwest eggrolls at Chili;s: 810 cal. per, 51g of fat, 1250mg sodium

it;s insane out there.

Heck, the chicken crispers alone are 1800 cals and that doesn't include the fries and corn on the cob. That used to be my favorite! :oink :dizzy

Mr Dio
01-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Chachos, Las Palapas and Buffalo Wild Wings aren't fast food.

scott
01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
If you think Panda Express isn't junk food, you're a fucking idiot. Oh wait, we are talking about boutons.

boutons_
01-18-2007, 09:24 PM
What's wrong with Panda Express? and go fuck yourself,

==================

the corps and chemists will poison everybody for fun and profit.

Source: Brandeis University
Date: January 18, 2007
More on:

New Fat, Same Old Problem With An Added Twist?
Replacement For Trans
Fat Raises Blood Sugar In Humans

Science Daily — Last month, New York City outlawed the use of partially hydrogenated oils, known as trans fats, in restaurants, a ban now under consideration in other cities, including Boston and Chicago. But novel research conducted in Malaysia and at Brandeis University shows that a new method of modifying fat in commercial products to replace unhealthy trans fats raises blood glucose and depresses insulin in humans, common precursors to diabetes. Furthermore, like trans fat, it still adversely depressed the beneficial HDL-cholesterol.

Published online in Nutrition and Metabolism, the study demonstrates that an interesterified fat--(a modified fat that includes hydrogenation followed by rearrangements of fats molecules by the process called interesterification) enriched with saturated stearic acid--adversely affected human metabolism of lipoproteins and glucose, compared to an unmodified, natural saturated fat. Interesterification to generate a stearic acid-rich fat is fast becoming the method of choice to modify fats in foods that require a longer shelf life because this process hardens fat similar to oils containing trans-fatty acids. The new study shows that interesterification, which unnaturally rearranges the position of individual fatty acids on the fat molecule, can alter metabolism in humans.

"One of the most interesting aspects of these findings is the implication that our time-honored focus on fat saturation may tell only part of the story," explained biologist and nutritionist K.C. Hayes, who collaborated on the research with Dr. Kalyana Sundram, nutrition director for palm oil research at the Malaysian Palm Oil Board in Kuala Lampur.

"Now it appears that the actual structure of the individual fat molecule is critical, that is, the specific location of individual fatty acids, particularly saturated fatty acids, on the glycerol molecule as consumed seems to make a difference on downstream metabolism of fat and glucose," said Hayes. Both Hayes and Sundram are experts on human lipid metabolism and were instrumental in the development of Smart Balance® Buttery Spreads, a blend of vegetable oils that improves the cholesterol ratio.

Trans-fatty acids, which became ubiquitous in baked goods, processed foods and restaurant cooking decades ago because of their shelf life and other properties, are now being abandoned by many producers of commercial products such as cookies, crackers, pies, doughnuts, and French fries because they raise LDL ("bad") cholesterol, lower HDL ("good") cholesterol and contribute to heart disease.

The Malaysian-Brandeis collaboration compared trans-rich and interesterified fats with an unmodified saturated fat, palm olein, for their relative impact on blood lipids and plasma glucose. Thirty human volunteers participated in the study, which strictly controlled total fat and fatty acid composition in the subjects' diet. Each subject consumed all three diets in random rotation during four-week diet periods. This study further confirmed previous studies in animals and humans, indicating once again that trans fats negatively affect LDL and HDL cholesterol. Surprisingly, the interesterified fat had a similar, though weaker impact on cholesterol.

( ALL that industrial food oil is pure shit )

"In this study we discovered that trans fat also has a weak negative influence on blood glucose. The newer replacement for trans, so-called interesterified fat, appears even worse in that regard, raising glucose 20 percent in a month," said Hayes.

"This is the first human study to examine simultaneously the metabolic effects of the two most common replacement fats for a natural saturated fat widely incorporated in foods. As such, it is somewhat alarming that both modified fats failed to pass the sniff test for metabolic performance relative to palm olein itself," noted Sundram.

"Whether this reflects the amount of test fat consumed, underlying genetics of the specific population examined, or some unknown factor, requires further study because the apparent adverse impact on insulin metabolism is a troubling finding," he added.

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by Brandeis University.

Ginofan
01-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Hmmm...

Big Mac 540 calories
Orange Chicken from Panda....500 calories.

Keep in mind this is without fries or rice or any drinks. Panda definitely should be lumped in with McDonald's.

And for some reason Bill Miller's only lists nutritional information for what they consider healthy stuff from their menu. WTF is with that?

tw05baller
01-18-2007, 09:47 PM

it;s insane out there.

that 714 g of fat has to be innacurate. are you sure its not 714 fat calories?

tw05baller
01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
i looked it up. only 71 g of fat. the 4 must have been a typo.

http://macaronigrill.com/menu/NutritionalPDF/Mac_NutritionalInfo.pdf

scott
01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
What's wrong with Panda Express? and go fuck yourself,

If this is real question, you are dumber than we all thought.

ALVAREZ6
01-18-2007, 09:55 PM
I love Wendy's. Could live off it.

MannyIsGod
01-18-2007, 09:55 PM
:lol

Scott > Bitchtons

tsb2000
01-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Fast food was the first thing to go once I decided to start eating better. It seems as almost everything at every fast food place is high in carbs. :depressed

NorCal510
01-18-2007, 10:34 PM
i eat fast food like once a month unless u count L&L BBQ fast food

ashbeeigh
01-18-2007, 10:58 PM
I think boutons either works at Panda Express, lives at Panda Express, or is getting paid off by Panda Express. This is the second time, recently, that he's said it isn't fast food (remember the Angelina thread?)

I don't think I'm a "heavy user" unless you count a once in a while stop at TCs for a taco.

cornbread
01-18-2007, 11:41 PM
I think boutons either works at Panda Express, lives at Panda Express, or is getting paid off by Panda Express. This is the second time, recently, that he's said it isn't fast food (remember the Angelina thread?)

Back in the day I lived within walking distance of a Panda Express. I ate the orange chicken about 1-2 times per week for like 5 months straight. When the Panda gets a hold of you, watch out!

ObiwanGinobili
01-19-2007, 12:02 AM
i looked it up. only 71 g of fat. the 4 must have been a typo.

http://macaronigrill.com/menu/NutritionalPDF/Mac_NutritionalInfo.pdf

If I posted it - of course it;s a typo. :spin

RogerIsEatingASandwich
01-19-2007, 06:47 AM
I usually eat fast food maybe once a week, take-out pizza or taco cabana. I stay away from burger joints like McDonalds and Jack-In-The Box.

polandprzem
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Fast food was the first thing to go once I decided to start eating better. It seems as almost everything at every fast food place is high in carbs. :depressed

Not true

Fat fricking fried chicken has no carb but can kill :)

It is realy not about the carbs or fat or proteins. Well accually yup but not the way most ppl think.

It is about changing life style, and have the knowlege and determination to add whole trhis into life. With NO FRICKIN' REGRETS!

All most diets are based on starving or eating realy tiny portions.

Eat right things in right time. Right carbs, right fat and you are succesfull.

u2sarajevo
01-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Eat right things in right time. Right carbs, right fat and you are succesfull.This is so true.

I went on the Atkins diet years ago. I actually read the book and started researching his theories. From my experience he is really extreme but there is some truth to the majority of consumed carbs are basically like poison for your body.

Flour - Especially in fast food restaurants... it's all refined. What that means is that they take out anything that would be good for you. So you are eating empty calories.. you might as well eat sugar... which brings me to...

Sugar - The majority of it is refined, which like flour means they take out any redeeming quality to it and leave the bad. Empty calories.

So you eat a bunch of empty calories and you gain weight.

My experience was that I did lose alot of weight, but more importantly I became more aware of the things I eat now. And I crave vegetables. I used to swear them off.... except for the starchy ones like corn.

I still won't eat white flour or sugar. I read too much about how it's not good for you and that it slowly kills you while not providing any benefits (other than tasting good I guess). Besides, there are alternative sweetners out there (not sweet n low/equal) that can satisfy any of the cravings if you get them. But that's another thing, when I gave them up I found I don't crave them.

Am I off topic? Sorry...

Fast food and restaurants fall in the same category to me... When I do go I just try and be conscious of what I'm ingesting. I order a hamburger but take off the bun (I will usually bring whole wheat tortillas instead... it drives my wife nuts - but at least I don't feel guilty eating the garbage).

polandprzem
01-19-2007, 03:55 PM
That's why I try to eat good carbs. Worthy ones.

I'm not keen on Atkins diet. I was not reading about it. Just watched the documentry movie.

Carbs = sugar for ones that do not know that :)

zosostein
01-20-2007, 05:05 PM
What if I very slowly take a huge pile of home-made french fries, cover it in an entire bag of shredded cheese, a whole can of wolf brand chili, and drink a two liter bottle of coke? That's homemade, baby, and you can't call it fast food.

In actuality, the only fast food i really eat regularly is at taquerias. I probably eat 10 tacos a week.

u2sarajevo
01-20-2007, 05:16 PM
That's why I try to eat good carbs. Worthy ones.

I'm not keen on Atkins diet. I was not reading about it. Just watched the documentry movie.

Carbs = sugar for ones that do not know that :)Oh dude.. the Atkins diet is a joke. (I hate that we have hijacked this thread but just a couple of more points). I was just pointing out that Atkins had good points regarding refined foods and trans fats. Any diet that tells you to eat a bunch of meat without explaining the dangers involved if you don't include vegetables/fruits that complete a healthy diet should be ignored. And another thing, he should push exercise more too, not just one or two brief mentions in his novel.

If you are really obese I could see how the Atkins diet could help. But hopefully out of it you gain a better understanding of the importance of HEALTHY foods and SMART food choices.

ALVAREZ6
01-20-2007, 05:18 PM
I love fast food.

resistanze
01-20-2007, 07:21 PM
3-5 times a week for lunch the past 2.5 years, I should get my shit together.

Spam
01-21-2007, 02:01 AM
I just eat. The last thing I want to think about when I die is "I should've eaten what I liked". Diets suck ass.

polandprzem
01-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Oh dude.. the Atkins diet is a joke. (I hate that we have hijacked this thread but just a couple of more points). I was just pointing out that Atkins had good points regarding refined foods and trans fats. Any diet that tells you to eat a bunch of meat without explaining the dangers involved if you don't include vegetables/fruits that complete a healthy diet should be ignored. And another thing, he should push exercise more too, not just one or two brief mentions in his novel.

If you are really obese I could see how the Atkins diet could help. But hopefully out of it you gain a better understanding of the importance of HEALTHY foods and SMART food choices.

As I said before I'm not a fan of Atkins diet.

IMO this is an unhealthy way of eating.

As I see people having problems with weight and then starting a diet what means they are not eating as much as they would like to, that is just not right.

Once again - it all depends of the lifestyle, gens and the way you was being feed as a baby.
The lifestyle = eating healthy. And what doeas that mean?
Good carbs
Good fat
Good proteins

btw - I would like to lose some weight as well. But it si realy hard while workig and not having time for sports.

01Snake
01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
If you think Panda Express isn't junk food, you're a fucking idiot. Oh wait, we are talking about boutons.

mFFL03
01-22-2007, 04:20 AM
so would Taco Palenque be considered fast food? Because I used to eat a chorizo taco every day for 2 years straight.....

"doctors say I have a little bit of a weight problem" -- chris farley

Lebowski Brickowski
01-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Anybody read "Fast Food Nation"? There's a good chance that it would change your outlook on fast food.

Yes. I read it sometime around February of 2004 and I haven't eaten fast food since then. That book was a big eye opener for me in a lot of ways.