PDA

View Full Version : When do we make a change at the small forward position?

Tom_Foolery
01-18-2007, 03:19 AM
i think bowen is a good defender, but he's getting old and i'm not sure how much we can compensate for his lack of offense. he used to guard dirk well, but that changed a couple seasons ago. i'm wondering if a change at the small forward position will make things better. as bad as finley has played, i'm wondering if having finley on the floor with manu would be better. i think it's definitely worth a look considering that bowen really couldn't play much worse than finley coming off the bench. i don't think he's the only problem we have, but just wondering if age and his declining defense might be showing more and more.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 03:24 AM
The sad fact is:

Beno Udrih is better than any NBDL point guard.

Francisco Elson and Fabricio Oberto are our only big men.

James White is not even close to what Finley is even now.

and...

Bruce Bowen is easily our best option at the 3.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Bruce Bowen is easily our best option at the 3.

Agreed. He hasn't really slowed down much. He gets lit up here and there, but a lot of the problem is about other people not doing what they are supposed to do in the team defensive scheme.

I think more athleticism, youth off the bench at the swing spots, a real starting center, and a real backup PG are way more important than anything Bowen is doing or not doing.

Finley sucks by the way.

polandprzem
01-18-2007, 03:38 AM
What is the reason of this thread?

It was tons of the same previously. Bowen old etc. :rolleyes

George Gervin's Afro
01-18-2007, 08:04 AM
I don't think it's necessarily Bowen because our margin for error this season has been squeezed to zero. In the past we could get by missing free throws, 4th qtr turnovers and lack of scoring from Bowen. Now that we cannot just show up and play because these shortcomings have been magnified ten fold.

That stretch at the end of the 3rd qtr was a killer... up by 6 and 3 straight turnovers.. I am not going to even mention who was invloved with those 3..

ggoose25
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
I know Pop would never do it but he should consider moving barry into the starting lineup and bringing bowen off the bench. We need our most consistent players playing the majority of minutes and right now bones is playing his best basketball since coming to SA. Pop needs to stop trying to stroke finley's aging waner and go with the rotation of players that is producing. Finley blows and Pop keeps putting him ahead of Bones@?!$ (Cf: Most recent chi-town loss)

Spurs Brazil
01-18-2007, 09:42 AM
The problem is not Bruce, is those who are behind him.

Our bigs sucks

2centsworth
01-18-2007, 12:32 PM
The lack of scorers on the team magnifies Bruce's weakness. Finley was suppossed to provide the offense off the bench.

On offense it's the big 3 against the other team.

AFBlue
01-18-2007, 12:42 PM
I know Pop would never do it but he should consider moving barry into the starting lineup and bringing bowen off the bench. We need our most consistent players playing the majority of minutes and right now bones is playing his best basketball since coming to SA. Pop needs to stop trying to stroke finley's aging waner and go with the rotation of players that is producing. Finley blows and Pop keeps putting him ahead of Bones@?!$ (Cf: Most recent chi-town loss)

Barry can get 20 points on one night and then a goose-egg (like how I tied the name in there?) the next. If he's the Spurs most consistent wing player, the Spurs are in more trouble than they know. The bottom line is that neither Barry, Finley, or Bowen can be a consistent scoring option because all they do is shoot.

By contrast, a guy like Maggette has the ability to get to the hole and draw contact....so even if his shot isn't falling, he's getting to the free-throw line and putting up points.

If I had to choose between three shooters, I take the one that plays the best D.

SenorSpur
01-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Finley sucks by the way.

A fact Pop should have known before he entered the Finley sweepstakes.

AFBlue
01-18-2007, 12:44 PM
The answer to this question lies outside the organization.

MrChug
01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Robert Horry sucks.

zocool16
01-18-2007, 01:31 PM

Our bigs sucks

well i assume you mean our bigs other than TIMMAY! lol..but yeah i have to agree that bruce is still doing his job defensively...offensively though..i dont know why now he's trying to make some ginobili-like moves that are just not in his arsenal. He's also shooting crappy...I don't know if it's just a slump and he'll get over it but i hope if it is, it's over soon.

FirebatMIV
01-18-2007, 01:37 PM

Our bigs sucks

We haven't had real bigs for a month now. I would like to see this team get healthy and establish a solid rotation before I write them off.

Wing scoring would be nice, but I'm not sure if this team would be better with Magette. As is, we're already weak defensively, especially on the perimeter. I don't know if Maggette's scoring would mitigate the fact that he is a defensive sieve.

Fillmoe
01-18-2007, 01:42 PM
we will give you jason bart fart for free

Sacramental
01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
why dont the spurs go after artest?

ArgSpursFan
01-18-2007, 06:21 PM

Brent Barry=Poor Defence.No way

ArgSpursFan
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
why dont the spurs go after artest?

Cause they donīt want problematics players

Tom_Foolery
01-18-2007, 10:10 PM
but everyone seems to be scoring on bowen much easier over the last couple seasons. he used to guard dirk...now they don't even put bowen on dirk.

problem with bowen is that teams leave him open cuz he's not an offensive threat.

i dunno, it would be quite a shakeup & i think it would really wake the team up if bowen was replaces by either by brett or finley.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
but everyone seems to be scoring on bowen much easier over the last couple seasons. he used to guard dirk...now they don't even put bowen on dirk.

problem with bowen is that teams leave him open cuz he's not an offensive threat.

i dunno, it would be quite a shakeup & i think it would really wake the team up if bowen was replaces by either by brett or finley.

He doesn't guard Dirk anymore because he's 6'7. He used to be forced to guard Dirk because none of the bigs could. Now that the Spurs supposedly have bigs that can guard Dirk, Bowen can spend most of his time on JHoward and other players closer to his size.

Last season, Bowen had an incredible season defensively. This year, not having any defense behind him in the form of bigs is hurting him. The Spurs defensive scheme is a team scheme. There's only so much one person can do if the others aren't rotating, contesting shots, etc.

Pimpmaximus
01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
They need to trade for some youth. Bowen is a good enough stopgap for now (when he decides to show up). The fact that our 4 and 5 spots are playing soft now doesn't help one bit either (and yeah, I'm calling Tim out on this...).

Overall this has the look of a team waiting for the stretch run to make any concerted effort. Too many AARP members on this squad at this point. Time for a youth movement...... :santahat

Rick Von Braun
01-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Bowen effectiveness has been greatly reduced in the last couple of years... seriously. I cringed when he puts the ball on the floor, despite the occasional basket.

Even today, he is still our best one on one perimeter defender. However, I hear the argument that the problem is that the five players must be in sync to play good D, which is true. But if team D is the most important factor, then individual D is less important (and therefore, Bowen's role on D less important). You can have the cake and eat it... you pick a factor and run with it.

Bowen limitations in offense were compensated in the past by big D efforts, taking high percentage shots, developing the corner three as a weapon, and producing a very small number of TOs (due to minimum touches). In the last couple of years, his role has expanded, and consequently his TOs have increased. I don't agree with this expanded role... Bowen should save his energy to play D only. I don't want him to get many touches in the offense unless it is a corner three. He is a horrid FT shooter and ball handler. If there is something I would like him to improve is rebounding... the Spurs have one of the worst, if not the worst (haven't check) SF rebounder in the entire league... this is way too much handicap.

Since the 2004 WCSF, it was clear that Bowen's lock down D in the playoffs has lost a step or two by the simple fact that he was completely ineffective in fighting through screens. This was greatly exposed by the Lakers in that series.

The real problem is... who the hell in the Spurs team takes his place? Finley? Barry? Beno? Williams? :lol

This is sad but true... outside the big three, we have very little balance. This is a recurrent problem with most teams though... the Spurs have the luxury of having 3 of the top 30 players in the league, but the rest are really far behind.

The Spurs must bring additional talent to compete with Dallas and Phoenix. Otherwise we will need super-human efforts from Tim, Manu and Tony to even be competitive. I don't think Pop will take any chances in bringing help, but I hope I am wrong for the sake of this team.

I don't like Pop's stuborness and his offensive philosophy, but he is a smart person.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I understood all that except the turnover part.

, and producing a very small number of TOs (due to minimum touches). In the last couple of years, his role has expanded, and consequently his TOs have increased.

Bowen averages .80 t.o. per game.
Last season .82
The season before .77
When you go all the way back to 03-04 when he handled the ball much less (by your take and the facts) he averaged 1.1.

timvp
01-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Bowen has had a couple bad games (against Morrison and McGrady) and a couple times he ran up against players who couldn't miss (Michael Redd and most recently Kobe), but for the most part Bowen's defense has actually improved compared to last year. Last year he struggled a lot against the quicker and stronger players and had a poor defensive showing in the playoffs. This year he's done a good job in almost every situation.

The stats also back me up as far as Bowen's defense not falling off as some claim.

Per 100 possessions defensively, the Spurs give up 4.7 less points with Bowen on the court. Here is that stat over the last five seasons:

2006-07: -4.7
2005-06: +2.7
2004-05: -1.5
2003-04: -4.5
2002-03: -6.6

Before this season, you could definitely see a year-to-year decline in Bowen's D ... and the stats backed that up.

But this year, my eyes tell me he's doing a good job, the stats tell me he's doing a good job ... so there is no reason for me to believe that he has become a liability. It's actually the opposite - with as bad as this team is defensively, without Bowen on the court they are a complete disaster.

Bowen is the player that is keeping this team from becoming a horrible defensive squad.

Bowen effectiveness has been greatly reduced in the last couple of years... seriously. I cringed when he puts the ball on the floor, despite the occasional basket.

Yeah, I've always been of the opinion that the less Bowen handles the ball, the better. But year by year, Bowen has drastically improved his ballhandling and finishing skills. These days he can actually bring the ball up the court. When he first got to San Antonio, he couldn't dribble twice without turning it over.

Even today, he is still our best one on one perimeter defender. However, I hear the argument that the problem is that the five players must be in sync to play good D, which is true. But if team D is the most important factor, then individual D is less important (and therefore, Bowen's role on D less important). You can have the cake and eat it... you pick a factor and run with it.

Huh? I don't understand what you are getting at.

The Spurs have been able to concentrate on playing team defense the last 4 or 5 seasons because Bowen has been able to take the other team's best perimeter player and defend them without having help sent his way. He's still doing a good job doing his part, but there is no team defense behind him.

It isn't either team defense or individual defense. You can do both ... and the Spurs have three rings to prove that.

Bowen limitations in offense were compensated in the past by big D efforts, taking high percentage shots, developing the corner three as a weapon, and producing a very small number of TOs (due to minimum touches). In the last couple of years, his role has expanded, and consequently his TOs have increased. I don't agree with this expanded role... Bowen should save his energy to play D only. I don't want him to get many touches in the offense unless it is a corner three. He is a horrid FT shooter and ball handler.

You are usually very good with stats, so I'm guessing you didn't consult the stats before you posted that.

1) His turnovers are down even though he is handling the ball more and playing more minutes.

2) He's done a good job in "developing the corner three as a weapon", especially considering he's shooting at a career-high clip. And that's including like an 0-for-12 streak after the switch back to the old ball.

3) Bowen is shooting the three-pointer more than ever and shooting two-pointers less than ever. He's shooting .089 two-pointers per minute, which is nearly half of the rate of just a couple years ago. And this year for the first time, he's shooting more three-pointers than two-pointers.

4) His free-throw percentage has always sucked ... but it doesn't really effect much, seeing as he goes to the line only every other game.

5) His ballhandling nowadays is much, much better than just a couple years ago. Him being able to bring the ball up has made it impossible to have success against the Spurs' starting lineup using a fullcourt press.

If there is something I would like him to improve is rebounding... the Spurs have one of the worst, if not the worst (haven't check) SF rebounder in the entire league... this is way too much handicap.

You are preaching to the choir on that. I've always criticized Bowen for his lack of rebounding. But the Spurs used to have enough rebounders to overcome that. Now they don't. Is that Bowen's fault or the fault of the team for not putting any quality rebounders on the court?

Since the 2004 WCSF, it was clear that Bowen's lock down D in the playoffs has lost a step or two by the simple fact that he was completely ineffective in fighting through screens. This was greatly exposed by the Lakers in that series.

In 2005, Bowen played damn well against Carmelo Anthony, Ray Allen, Shawn Marion and Richard Hamilton. Without Bowen shutting down those guys, the Spurs don't win the championship. I don't think you need me to go back and show how much he held down those players compared to when they played other teams.

baseline bum
01-18-2007, 11:40 PM
timvp, I'm curious as to what Bruce's +/- per 100 possessions was in 2001-02. The team looked hopelessly lost without him when he got hurt that year.

Rick Von Braun
01-18-2007, 11:48 PM
I understood all that except the turnover part.

Bowen averages .80 t.o. per game.
Last season .82
The season before .77
When you go all the way back to 03-04 when he handled the ball much less (by your take and the facts) he averaged 1.1.

Sorry, I was looking at the TO/48min for the last 3 years.

04-05 1.041 TO/48min (his best year)
05-06 1.167 TO/48min
06-07 1.185 TO/48min

This is a small but steady increase that I attribute to handling the ball more, in particular when avoiding taking the three and attacking the basket.

I don't think this is his main problem though, just another contributing factor. :yield

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2007, 11:54 PM
great posts kori and timvp, I keep forgetting how big of a factor the rest of the team needs to be in the help defense or else Bowen often times finds himself screwed.

And you can't argue with the stats when all is said and done.

timvp
01-18-2007, 11:54 PM
timvp, I'm curious as to what Bruce's +/- per 100 possessions was in 2001-02. The team looked hopelessly lost without him when he got hurt that year.

I don't have stats that go back that far, but I'm sure it was something ridiculous. When Bowen broke his finger and missed 23 games, the Spurs lost 12 of those 23 games. In the 23 games without him, they gave up 96 points per game. In the 26 games with him after the injury, the Spurs gave up 86 points per game.

So I'm sure the +/- per 100 possessions was impressive.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2007, 12:21 AM

In 2005, Bowen played damn well against Carmelo Anthony, Ray Allen, Shawn Marion and Richard Hamilton. Without Bowen shutting down those guys, the Spurs don't win the championship. I don't think you need me to go back and show how much he held down those players compared to when they played other teams.

Holy Moly, I missed that part of Rick's post the first time I read it. Bowen destroyed people in the 2005 playoffs.

Playoffs 2005

Carmelo Anthony
Against Spurs, 19.2 ppg on 42%.

Ray Allen
Against Spurs, 21.5 ppg on 43%. (In the first round he had averaged 32ppg)

Shawn Marion
Against Spurs, 7.8 ppg on 39%. (Over the first two rounds he had averaged over 22ppg on over 50% shooting)

Rip Hamilton
Against Spurs, 16.7 ppg on 39%. (Over the first three rounds he had averaged over 20ppg on nearly 50% shooting)

Here's an old post of mine about Bowen. It still applies:

It's about games like .. when Zach Randolph or Chris Bosh were going off on the Spurs this season, Bowen was switched onto them and rendered them useless (I don't think either one of them scored when he was on them). It's about going into the playoffs and being ready to guard anyone and everyone. From shutting down Shawn Marion and making him look like a 7th grader to chasing Rip through screens all day and then switching over to Chauncey in the 4th and getting a game sealing block. (Sorry, but it had to be mentioned).

There is absolutely nothing anyone can learn about Bruce Bowen by sitting and compiling stats. But if you watch this guy 82 games a year and see this ~6'6, under 200 pound guy doing whatever it takes and whatever you ask of him, night in and night out, you'll really appreciate him.

Rick Von Braun
01-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Bowen has had a couple bad games (against Morrison and McGrady) and a couple times he ran up against players who couldn't miss (Michael Redd and most recently Kobe), but for the most part Bowen's defense has actually improved compared to last year. Last year he struggled a lot against the quicker and stronger players and had a poor defensive showing in the playoffs. This year he's done a good job in almost every situation.

The stats also back me up as far as Bowen's defense not falling off as some claim.

Per 100 possessions defensively, the Spurs give up 4.7 less points with Bowen on the court. Here is that stat over the last five seasons:

2006-07: -4.7
2005-06: +2.7
2004-05: -1.5
2003-04: -4.5
2002-03: -6.6

Before this season, you could definitely see a year-to-year decline in Bowen's D ... and the stats backed that up.

But this year, my eyes tell me he's doing a good job, the stats tell me he's doing a good job ... so there is no reason for me to believe that he has become a liability.

Point taken, so far this year his D has improved with respect to previous years.

It's actually the opposite - with as bad as this team is defensively, without Bowen on the court they are a complete disaster.

Bowen is the player that is keeping this team from becoming a horrible defensive squad.

I disagree that Bowen is the player keeping everyting together defensively. Our best defenders are Tim, Horry, Manu and Bowen in this order (http://www.82games.com/0607/0607SAS.HTM). The cornestone of our D has always been and will continue to be Tim Duncan.

Using the same data:
Defense: Pts per 100 Poss.
Duncan -6.4
Horry -6.4
Ginobili -5.6
Bowen -4.7
Parker -2.5

This is our best defensive lineup, and the only 5 players with positive contributions on D. Bowen is a contributing member, but not the stelar one "keeping this team from becoming a horrible defensive squad".

Yeah, I've always been of the opinion that the less Bowen handles the ball, the better. But year by year, Bowen has drastically improved his ballhandling and finishing skills. These days he can actually bring the ball up the court. When he first got to San Antonio, he couldn't dribble twice without turning it over.

The fact that he has improved from a horrendous start doesn't mean he has became any good for a starting SF in the NBA. I still cringe when he handles the ball. I am pretty sure that if you run a poll asking people who would you like to handle the ball, Bowen would still be at the bottom of the list, despite this aparent improvement. If you compare ball handle skills with other starting SF the situation is even worse.

The Spurs have been able to concentrate on playing team defense the last 4 or 5 seasons because Bowen has been able to take the other team's best perimeter player and defend them without having help sent his way. He's still doing a good job doing his part, but there is no team defense behind him.

It isn't either team defense or individual defense. You can do both ... and the Spurs have three rings to prove that.

You can do and would like to do everything. Yes, you would like 5 all defensive team players, and 5 all nba players, the whole enchilada. The point is that Bowen doesn't bring you much offensively, and doesn't contribute much rebouding, or assisting, or ball handling, so it is reasonable to analyze the situation of the title of this thread.

You are usually very good with stats, so I'm guessing you didn't consult the stats before you posted that.

1) His turnovers are down even though he is handling the ball more and playing more minutes.

Wrong, his TO per minute played on a basketball court have increased in the last 3 years. This is a fact. I got the data from nba.com.

2) He's done a good job in "developing the corner three as a weapon", especially considering he's shooting at a career-high clip. And that's including like an 0-for-12 streak after the switch back to the old ball.

Correct, and I am quite happy with this, as I pointed out in the previous post. This is a positive.

3) Bowen is shooting the three-pointer more than ever and shooting two-pointers less than ever. He's shooting .089 two-pointers per minute, which is nearly half of the rate of just a couple years ago. And this year for the first time, he's shooting more three-pointers than two-pointers.

Have you wondered why? Allow me to bring some perspective.

04-05 1.041 TO/48 10.80 FG/48 42.31% 3PT%/total
05-06 1.167 TO/48 9.34 FG/48 45.71% 3PT%/total
06-07 1.185 TO/48 8.81 FG/48 52.94% 3PT%/total

It is quite suggestive that the higher the TO rate, the smaller the number of field goals taken and the larger the proportion of 3PT with respect to the total. This seems to indicate that he may be attempting less 2PT because he loses the ball before he even attempts the shot, by either getting stripped and/or making the wrong pass in penetration. I see this clearly when I watch him play, and the data confirmed this.

4) His free-throw percentage has always sucked ... but it doesn't really effect much, seeing as he goes to the line only every other game.

Yep, but being a horrible FT shooter doesn't help his cause either.

5) His ballhandling nowadays is much, much better than just a couple years ago. Him being able to bring the ball up has made it impossible to have success against the Spurs' starting lineup using a fullcourt press.

He may have improved, but he is still pretty bad. I hope we agree on this.

You are preaching to the choir on that. I've always criticized Bowen for his lack of rebounding. But the Spurs used to have enough rebounders to overcome that. Now they don't. Is that Bowen's fault or the fault of the team for not putting any quality rebounders on the court?

This is not a good argument. The starting small forward should be a good rebounder, period. The fact that we have other sucky rebounding players, for whatever reason doesn't excuse Bowen to be a sucky rebounder. If there are changes in personnel, for whatever reason, you need to review the structure and balance of your team.

I guess what I tried to convey is that there is a fine trade-off between the clear offensive limitations that Bowen's bring to this team, and his contributions on D. I think we all agree here. Starting from this premise, I would like to limit Bruce role in offense as much as possible to maximize efficiency and energy, so he can concentrate on his main task, while perhaps asking him to put his mind in rebounding a little more.

The thread was worth discussing. Just to restate my position, the main obstacle I see to replacing Bowen from the starting lineup is that the offensive contributions of any of the guys that could potentially replace Bruce in the starting lineup do not compensate the lost in D at this time. However, it is always good to analyze and challenge the status quo.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2007, 01:13 AM

It is quite suggestive that the higher the TO rate

You do realize that the difference in turnover rate that you are referencing = less than ten turnovers per SEASON.

In other words, nothing.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2007, 01:18 AM
The difference between 04-05 and now is .144 turnovers per 48 or in other words .099 per 33 minutes (Bowen's average minutes). Multiple that x 82 games and you get 8 turnovers per season difference.

Rick Von Braun
01-19-2007, 01:19 AM
You do realize that the difference in turnover rate that you are referencing = approximately one turnover per SEASON.

In other words, nothing.

It depends on minutes played.

Total turnovers per season:
04-05 57 TO 2627 min
05-06 67 TO 2755 min
06-07 32 TO 1296 min

The trend from 04-05 to 06-07 is not just 1 turnover per season.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2007, 01:20 AM
It depends on minutes played.

Total turnovers per season:
04-05 57 TO 2627 min
05-06 67 TO 2755 min
06-07 32 TO 1296 min

The trend from 04-05 to 06-07 is not just 1 turnover per season.
It was a typo in my post. Re-read please.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2007, 01:26 AM
This seems to indicate that he may be attempting less 2PT because he loses the ball before he even attempts the shot, by either getting stripped and/or making the wrong pass in penetration. I see this clearly when I watch him play, and the data confirmed this.

The data confirms that he commits one extra turnover per 10 games or so. :lol I don't think it's a factor.

timvp
01-19-2007, 01:58 AM
I disagree that Bowen is the player keeping everyting together defensively. Our best defenders are Tim, Horry, Manu and Bowen in this order (http://www.82games.com/0607/0607SAS.HTM). The cornestone of our D has always been and will continue to be Tim Duncan.

Using the same data:
Defense: Pts per 100 Poss.
Duncan -6.4
Horry -6.4
Ginobili -5.6
Bowen -4.7
Parker -2.5

This is our best defensive lineup, and the only 5 players with positive contributions on D. Bowen is a contributing member, but not the stelar one "keeping this team from becoming a horrible defensive squad".

So you are trying to say that Manu is a better defender than Bowen? That's laughable.

The reason that Bowen's +/- stats are skewed is because he's rarely in the game when the other team's best player is on the bench. Of course he's not going to appear to be as good of a defender as he really is when the other team is playing scrubs when Bowen is sitting out. That's logical and the reason why you can only compare Bowen's +/- to previous year's stats.

Manu and Horry play a lot versus the other team's bench. You can argue that Duncan is the best defender on the team, but to use +/- stats against Bowen when he sits when the other team's superstar sits is crazy.

Oh and Tim Duncan hasn't "always" been the cornerstone of the D. That used to be David Robinson's neighborhood and one could argue Rasho was the best bigman defender for a couple year stretch. Duncan was a horrible defender as a rookie, but has improved greatly since then.

The fact that he has improved from a horrendous start doesn't mean he has became any good for a starting SF in the NBA. I still cringe when he handles the ball. I am pretty sure that if you run a poll asking people who would you like to handle the ball, Bowen would still be at the bottom of the list, despite this aparent improvement. If you compare ball handle skills with other starting SF the situation is even worse.

Yeah, Bowen won't make anyone forget Curly Neal but he isn't horrible anymore. I'd say he's still below average, but he's at least an able ballhandler.

Look at Finley and E. Williams. Both of those players started as small forwards for years in the NBA and Bowen is now the best of the three in terms of handling the ball. By far.

You can do and would like to do everything. Yes, you would like 5 all defensive team players, and 5 all nba players, the whole enchilada. The point is that Bowen doesn't bring you much offensively, and doesn't contribute much rebouding, or assisting, or ball handling, so it is reasonable to analyze the situation of the title of this thread.

I still don't understand what this has to do with having to decide if you want to play team defense or individual defense.

Wrong, his TO per minute played on a basketball court have increased in the last 3 years. This is a fact. I got the data from nba.com.

I meant "down" as in league wide comparison. But even by your stats, he's averaging a whopping .018 turnovers per 48 minutes more per game.

Plus his turnovers are down compared to his first three years with the Spurs. You know, back when he never dribbled.

Have you wondered why? Allow me to bring some perspective.

It is quite suggestive that the higher the TO rate, the smaller the number of field goals taken and the larger the proportion of 3PT with respect to the total. This seems to indicate that he may be attempting less 2PT because he loses the ball before he even attempts the shot, by either getting stripped and/or making the wrong pass in penetration. I see this clearly when I watch him play, and the data confirmed this.

Whoa. I don't even know where to start.

First, let's start with some math. Bowen had 67 turnovers last year. If he turned the ball over last year at the rate he is this year, he would have had 68 turnovers. That is one turnover over the course of the season.

Even from two years ago, he would have turned the ball over 8 fewer times over the course of the season. That's not even .1 turnover per game.

So do you still want to hold true to your theory that the reason Bowen went from 4.2 two-pointers per game two years ago, to 3.5 two-pointers last year to 2.8 two-pointers this year is because he's turning the ball over instead? I hope not.

Even if you want to award him a missed two-pointer for each of his turnovers over his rate of two seasons ago, he'd only be averaging 3.0 two-pointers per game this year.

Your theory just doesn't come close to flying.

Yep, but being a horrible FT shooter doesn't help his cause either.

Last year he averaged 7.55 points per game. If he was a 75% free throw shooter, he would have averaged 7.69 points per game.

Again, I wish he shot free-throws better. But in the grand scheme of things, it's so minimal that it's hardly worth discussing.

This is not a good argument. The starting small forward should be a good rebounder, period. The fact that we have other sucky rebounding players, for whatever reason doesn't excuse Bowen to be a sucky rebounder. If there are changes in personnel, for whatever reason, you need to review the structure and balance of your team.

Which is why I was all for getting Reggie Evans or another player who could rebound. No use giving up on Bowen because the Spurs weren't smart enough to fill the hole in their roster.

That'd be like saying we should trade Manu because the bench sucks and we need a player who can play more minutes. The Spurs know Manu isn't a player who can handle playing many minutes ... that's why their two main bench players are backup shooting guards.

I guess what I tried to convey is that there is a fine trade-off between the clear offensive limitations that Bowen's bring to this team, and his contributions on D. I think we all agree here. Starting from this premise, I would like to limit Bruce role in offense as much as possible to maximize efficiency and energy, so he can concentrate on his main task, while perhaps asking him to put his mind in rebounding a little more.

I would agree that he should limit his offense if the stats showed that he was shooting more than usual. But the opposite is true.

As far as rebounding goes ... Bowen is never going to be a good rebounder. He's too skinny and doesn't jump high enough. He's also slow to the ball off the rim. But the Spurs knew that going into the season.

The thread was worth discussing. Just to restate my position, the main obstacle I see to replacing Bowen from the starting lineup is that the offensive contributions of any of the guys that could potentially replace Bruce in the starting lineup do not compensate the lost in D at this time. However, it is always good to analyze and challenge the status quo.

I agree with the premise that all the players should be held accountable. And if there was a player on this team that could help the Spurs win more than Bowen does as the starting small forward, I'd be the first one asking for a change.

However, one thing I disagree with is that an offensive player who doesn't play D could step in and play small forward for this team. For the Spurs to play Spurs Basketball, they need a perimeter stopper defensively. Sean Elliott was that in 1999 (along with Mario Elie). I don't see a San Antonio team who doesn't value defense being a championship caliber squad.

To me, the perfect Bowen replacement is a good defender, who can rebound and shoot the three. I wouldn't want a player who just scores to be the one who eventually takes over for Bowen.

ShoogarBear
01-19-2007, 02:11 AM
I find it impossible to believe that there is any difference in 1.041 turnovers per 48 min versus 1.185 turnovers per 48 minutes that translates into anything real on a basketball court.

timvp
01-19-2007, 02:13 AM
I find it impossible to believe that there is any difference in 1.041 turnovers per 48 min versus 1.185 turnovers per 48 minutes that translates into anything real on a basketball court.

Actually, it works out to 0.012195 more turnovers per game for Bowen. It's catastrophic :music

MannyIsGod
01-19-2007, 02:20 AM
When the team plays poorly, Bowen's poor offense shines through much clearer. But thats about it. I don't think he's as good a shut down defender as say 2 years ago, but he's still the best out there, IMO.

In any case, there are far more pressing holes for the Spurs to fill.