PDA

View Full Version : If you missed OSU/UT

MajorMike
01-18-2007, 09:05 AM
have someone record it for you. It's being replayed on E$PN Classic today at 4.

Boggan's heroes
By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer
1/18/2007

ESPN says Mario’s shot, triple-OT win was instant classic
ESPN made an announcement Wednesday that everyone expected.

Oklahoma State's 105-103 triple-overtime triumph at Texas' expense Tuesday night -- the second-longest game in Big 12 history -- was deemed an instant classic by the cable sports network and the game will be rebroadcast 4 p.m. Thursday on ESPN Classic.

"I don't know if I will ever be involved in another one like that," Texas coach Rick Barnes said.

"That was just a heck of a college basketball game," said OSU basketball legend Bryant Reeves during a Wednesday telephone interview. "You didn't have to root for either team to enjoy it. You could just be a player for someone anywhere in the country and that game would have kept your attention the whole game."

Before the replay, let's explore the factors that led Sean Sutton, who has been an OSU player or coach for 508 games, to say the game was the best he has ever been a part of.

Star wars
Texas prize freshman Kevin Durant and OSU senior Mario Boggan waged perhaps the most explosive statistical battle in Gallagher-Iba Arena history.

Both scored a career-high 37 points. Boggan hit a game-winning 3-pointer with 3.2 seconds left and grabbed a career-best 20 rebounds, becoming the first player in Big 12 history to collect at least 30 points and 20 rebounds in a game.

"This is a guy that got one minute of rest that entire game and he just made big play after big play," Sutton said in regard to Boggan.

"I always think that the greatest performance that I have ever seen in here from one of our players was when Bryant Reeves had 33 points and 20 rebounds against Kansas, but I'm not sure that Mario didn't top that. It was an unbelievable performance for him. He and Durant put on a great show for people who love college basketball."

Lost amid the Durant-Boggan fanfare was the fact that JamesOn Curry scored 28 points and matched a career-high with nine rebounds.

Golden arch
Former McDonald's All-American Byron Eaton put golden arch on a miracle shot that helped OSU rally from a seven-point second-half deficit.

With the shot clock winding down, Eaton retrieved a ball that was going out of bounds. While soaring past the Pistol Pete logo opposite the Cowboy bench, he turned and flung a desperation bomb toward the basket in an attempt to draw iron. Swish.

It was the play of the day on ESPN's SportsCenter. Eaton talked about the shot during ESPN2's "Cold Pizza" show Wednesday morning.

Sutton said Eaton's shot changed the complexion of the game.

"It gave our players some energy," the coach said. "I thought it got the crowd going again and then we were able to go on a (19-6) run after the shot. It was a lucky shot, but it was a smart play in that he threw it at the basket."

The shot will go down as one of the most memorable in Gallagher-Iba history, ranking right there with a Reeves halfcourt buzzer-beater that sent a 1993 game against Missouri into overtime.

Asked about Eaton's basket, Reeves said, "It was an unbelievable shot. It was one of those prayer shots it looked like, but any way you want to slice it, it was good and it's going to be something that sticks with you from now on."

Eaton also made another highlight-reel play during OSU's charge. He flicked a behind-the-back pass to a trailing Boggan for a fast-break dunk.

Working overtime
There were 19 ties or lead changes during the overtime periods. OSU hadn't been involved in a three-overtime game since going four overtimes to win at Colorado in 1983. Only twice before had the Cowboys played three or more overtimes at home, beating Kansas in a 1981 triple-overtime game and vanquishing the Jayhawks in a 1965 quadruple-overtime contest.

Asked about the OSU-Texas thriller, Sutton said, "Both teams showed a lot of courage and there were a lot of great, great plays made at both ends. I was really impressed with Texas, to be as young as they are and to come in this environment and play with the poise that they played with. But I thought our guys showed a lot of heart and a lot of toughness. We talked a lot before the game that we had kind of a chance to redeem ourselves on national TV after what happened last Wednesday night against Kansas. They hung in there and got it done."

OSU improved to 3-0 this season in games that weren't decided in 40 minutes. The Cowboys beat Missouri State in overtime and Pitt in double overtime.

"Last year we lost all those games," Sutton said. "Sometimes in basketball that's the way it works. We were on the short end last year of so many close losses. I think over the long run things tend to balance out."

The shot
OSU trailed by a point with 10.5 seconds remaining in the third overtime period. Sutton said the Cowboys wanted to get the floor spread and put the ball in Curry's hands. Instead, the ball went to Boggan, who appeared as if he might not get off a shot when he was double-teamed by two Texas players.

Boggan stayed composed enough to step inside Connor Atchley and make only his sixth 3-pointer in 37 attempts this season.

"Mario hit an unbelievable shot, but it wasn't just one guy," Sutton said. "It was our entire team. Tyler Hatch (a former walk-on who played all 15 overtime minutes because Kenny Cooper was ill and two OSU players fouled out) came in and was put in a tough position. He still rebounded and still defended at the other end. He came up with a big basket. I am very proud of our players and I can't say enough about our fans. They were unbelievable the way they hung in there and stuck with our team."

Outrageous OTS
Oklahoma State and Texas staged a triple-overtime classic Tuesday at Gallagher-Iba Arena. Here are a few other epic overtime games that took place at the historic facility:

Country mile:
Bryant “Big Country” Reeves banked in a halfcourt shot at the end of regulation to force overtime and OSU took a 77-73 decision from Missouri on Feb. 24, 1993.

Four OTs:
OSU won the longest game in arena history, a quadruple-overtime conquest of Kansas, on Feb. 15, 1965. James King had 19 points and 14 rebounds in a 68-64 win.

Triple play:
Leroy Combs produced 22 points and 11 rebounds and Raymond Crenshaw drew a game-clinching charge with eight seconds left to help OSU to a 76-73 triple-overtime victory over Kansas on Feb. 4, 1981.

Technical fall:
OSU led by a point with 1:27 remaining when a New Mexico A&M player was assessed a technical foul for jumping on Dean Nims after a whistle. Nims made one of two free throws and the Cowboys killed the clock for a 45-43 double-overtime victory on Dec. 8, 1951.

Clutch performance:
Joe Atkinson made two free throws with one second remaining to give OSU a 44-43 overtime decision over Houston Baptist on Dec. 1, 1984.

Extra Bedlam:
Chianti Roberts hit a bank shot with less than a second remaining to force overtime, then made two free throws with 11.6 seconds left to give OSU the lead for good in a 73-72 triumph over OU on Jan. 27, 1997.

SLIP-SLIDIN' AWAY

Oklahoma State's triple-overtime game against Texas was not for the faint of heart, but some wondered how close coach Sean Sutton came to fainting.

Sutton is suffering from back pain because he slipped and fell on ice one night before the game while at the site of his weekly radio show. He had to be sturdied by assistants during a timeout late in regulation.

"Towards the end, it felt like there was a knife stuck in my back," he said afterward. "I don't think I was going to pass out. The pain was pretty bad, but I'm doing better now."

Sutton was feeling well enough to handle postgame obligations and he stopped to chat with stragglers in Heritage Hall after his press conference.

MajorMike
01-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Wow! What a triple-overtime Big 12 thriller
Jan. 17, 2007
By Gary Parrish
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Gary your opinion!

The only person I felt sorry for was Andre Agassi. Poor guy was just sitting there with a film crew in front of him waiting to do a live interview on television during the network's Australian Open coverage. And when I say just sitting there, I mean just sitting there. For an hour. While Texas and Oklahoma State went back and forth in a game so good I half-expected a player to propose to a cheerleader.

Agassi was scheduled for 11 p.m. ET.

Parrish: Whatever 'it' is, Kevin Durant has it. (AP)
He came on at midnight.

The reason was D.J. Augustin. And JamesOn Curry. And Kevin Durant. And Mario Boggan. And, really, there were too many people involved to list them all.

Either way, what went down at Gallagher-Iba Arena Tuesday night -- a 105-103 triple-overtime thriller won by the Cowboys -- was what makes college hoops wonderful. There were great players making great plays for two great programs, and when that gets mixed with a great crowd and national television audience what you get is, well, what you get is one of the great American tennis players in history being put on hold.

Here are four things we know after OSU-Texas:

1. Oklahoma State's blowout loss at Kansas was a fluke: Coming off a 30-point defeat at KU, the Cowboys needed to prove last week's embarrassment was just a bad night indicative of nothing. In short, they did. OSU took Durant's best shots (more on him below) and countered each time, the last time being with Boggan's improbable 3-pointer that won the game. Consequently, Sean Sutton is off to a 16-2 start in his first season, and he has wins over Missouri State, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Texas. The two losses were at Kansas and against Tennessee (in Nashville), and that's why it's safe to assume Oklahoma State will figure prominently in the Big 12 race.

2. Texas is not a one-man show: Durant has received a lot of attention, and rightfully so. But for those who didn't know, the Longhorns have other talented players, namely Augustin, A.J. Abrams, Justin Mason and Damion James. Each of those guys made critical plays at some point, and even Connor Atchley hit a huge 3-pointer from the left corner in the third overtime. The Longhorns' top eight scorers are freshmen and sophomores, but it doesn't matter. Texas is 13-4 with wins over LSU and Arkansas, and two of its losses came in overtime (at Tennessee and at Oklahoma State) while another was by a bucket (to Michigan State). Those aren't bad credentials, and that Texas didn't wilt under the pressure at OSU is probably why Rick Barnes was smiling afterward. He learned a lot about his young team in this game, and what he learned must've been pleasing, despite the loss.

3. Boggan is a legitimate star: At this level in these games it's important for a team to have somebody who can dominate, and Oklahoma State has that guy in Boggan, who made up for last week's stinker against Kansas (eight points, zero rebounds in 26 minutes) with an incredible 37-point, 20-rebound outing in the win over Texas. That the senior big man hit the game-winning 3-pointer was wild on many levels, particularly given that he hadn't hit a 3-pointer since January 2 and had sank just five all season (in 36 attempts). But stars tend to make big plays in big situations, and so when the shot left Boggan's hand I had a feeling it would fall. When it did, his place among college basketball's elite was solidified, and the name Boggan should be well-represented come All-American teams selection time.

4. Yes, Durant is that good: Durant's 37 points and 12 rebounds didn't demonstrate what makes him special as much as the way he scored, when he scored and how he scored did while carrying Texas in crucial moments. Every time Oklahoma State created separation, Durant would sink a one-dribble pull-up jumper, a transition 3-pointer or emphatic dunk. His offensive rebound and stickback -- while enduring a foul -- with 10.5 seconds remaining in the third overtime was incredible, and that he swished the ensuing free throw to give Texas that brief 103-102 lead spoke volumes about the freshman's heart (and by heart, I mean stones). Bottom line, whatever "it" is, Durant has it. And though I'm not sure he can carry Texas to a national title like Carmelo Anthony once did at Syracuse, I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to be the coach of the team trying to stop him from doing it.

johngateswhiteley
01-18-2007, 11:14 AM
twas a good game.

Jimcs50
01-18-2007, 12:06 PM
This game will be in Hall of Fame.....if they had one for games. The game was just ordinary until Ok St stopped a 9-0 run by UT to start the 2nd half. UT was threatening to blow out the Cowboys(up 7) until the desperation over the shoulder 3 pointer from the halfcourt line at the shot clock buzzer that got Ok St back to within 4 pts. Then Ok St got 4 more pts to tie it up...then it was ON.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-18-2007, 06:58 PM
The impact on this game of that impossible one handed three cannot be understated....I honestly felt Texas was on the verge of blowing them out until that happened. The crowd was also out of the game for like 5 or 6 possessions in a row. That crazy shot energized the time and made the crowd crazy the whole night.

MajorMike
01-19-2007, 09:19 AM
I watched the end on tivo again. Boggan's foot was clearly on the line - it was a 2. Would it have made any diff?

Jimcs50
01-19-2007, 09:35 AM
I watched the end on tivo again. Boggan's foot was clearly on the line - it was a 2. Would it have made any diff?

they won by 2...it did not matter

Although it did help his 3 pt shooting stats, which are pretty bad.

:)

tlongII
01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Nobody should feel sorry for Agassi. He was watching a feed of the game while waiting to be interviewed.

The Oregon vs Arizona game a few days earlier was a great game too. Oregon won on a last second shot by Aaron Brooks.