PDA

View Full Version : The Latest Maggette News

SenorSpur
01-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Just saw this. Though not fully confirmed, it appears the Spurs will likely lose out on the opportunity to obtain Corey Maggette.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44284/20070118/pacers_to_flip_dunleavy_for_maggette/

According to three NBA executives, the Pacers are already in talks to move Mike Dunleavy to the Los Angeles Clippers for swingman Corey Maggette.

Indiana has been after Maggette since last season when they were looking to trade Ron Artest.

Earlier reports have indicated a strong interest from head coach Mike Dunleavy, Sr. in his son, but that other members of the Los Angeles front office had reservations.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Fuck Pop. And Holt. And R.C. I guess the guy was too good a fit for what we needed (without having to trade one of the big three to do it).

Can't wait to watch Beno and Brent shoot us out of the playoffs. :pctoss

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
there had better be one helluva plan B. otherwise, everyone in the front office should be fired!

kris
01-18-2007, 01:53 PM
What I don't understand is why the Spurs didn't go after Stephen Jackson really hard when everybody knew the Pacers couldn't wait to dump him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
What I don't understand is why the Spurs didn't go after Stephen Jackson really hard when everybody knew the Pacers couldn't wait to dump him.

When you combine a cheap ass owner with a content coach and GM, this is what happens. And fuck that whole front office for the (apparent) decision to piss away the rest of the Tim Duncan era.

polandprzem
01-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Too much CIA for my brain

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:00 PM

Now the Spurs need to go get him (or someone else) from GS. There's no way they keep all five of those swingmen.

FirebatMIV
01-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Maggette has quickly become one of the most overrated players on this board. He is a good slasher who needs to ball to be effective and complains when he feels he isn't getting his due playing time. He's also shot the ball horribly this year. Worse yet, he's a bad defender who would exacerbate our perimeter defensive problems.

The only thing he offers is athleticism and the ability to play the 4 in a small ball set. I don't think Small Ball is the answer, and all that athleticism is wasted since he only knows how to use it on the offensive end. I have no love for Brent, Beno or our 2007 First rounder, but I don't think Maggette's the savior that we're making him out to be.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Maggette has quickly become one of the most overrated players on this board. He is a good slasher who needs to ball to be effective and complains when he feels he isn't getting his due playing time. He's also shot the ball horribly this year. Worse yet, he's a bad defender who would exacerbate our perimeter defensive problems.

The only thing he offers is athleticism and the ability to play the 4 in a small ball set. I don't think Small Ball is the answer, and all that athleticism is wasted since he only knows how to use it on the offensive end. I have no love for Brent, Beno or our 2007 First rounder, but I don't think Maggette's the savior that we're making him out to be.

Signed, Glenn Robinson. Oh wait... :lol

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:04 PM

Most people wanted him here for rebounding and getting to the line.

He averages more rebounds than our bigs. That's a pretty good asset out of a 6'6 guy.

AFBlue
01-18-2007, 02:05 PM

And yet he's better than any other Spur not named Tony, Tim, or Manu....

AFBlue
01-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Chad Ford on ESPN just said in his chat that the Clippers FO is wary of Sr. coaching Jr....thinks it could be a distraction. It's very convenient, but I'm not sold on the news just yet.

SenorSpur
01-18-2007, 02:09 PM

I listened to Game Night React after the Lakers loss and it was rumored reports that Don Nelson was planning a "buyout" of SJax's contract. If this comes to fruition, the Spurs would likely have a shot at him. Again, this is rumored reports from the Bay area - nothing factual.

Big P
01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Everyones bitching about how the Spurs turned down the Maggette trade..in reality it was probably the Clipps turning us down..they are going to be able to get a better deal from other teams..bottom line is Barry & Beno are not going to bring back someone that everybody thinks is to be the saviour of this season..period.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Everyones bitching about how the Spurs turned down the Maggette trade..in reality it was probably the Clipps turning us down..they are going to be able to get a better deal from other teams..bottom line is Barry & Beno are not going to bring back someone that everybody thinks is to be the saviour of this season..period.

:lol I was thinking the same thing. If I remember correctly, all that was reported was that the Clippers would consider a Barry+Beno combination. And from that, everyone here has assumed that the Clippers would actually have taken the trade but that the Spurs didn't offer the pick (and/or were reluctant to include both B's) and that's what blew it.

FirebatMIV
01-18-2007, 02:15 PM

That's what I tend to believe as well.

Baylor really was holding all the cards in this trade, and I think one of the byproducts of being so successful for so long is that people are less-than-willing to trade with us.

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 02:22 PM
:lol I was thinking the same thing. If I remember correctly, all that was reported was that the Clippers would consider a Barry+Beno combination. And from that, everyone here has assumed that the Clippers would actually have taken the trade but that the Spurs didn't offer the pick (and/or were reluctant to include both B's) and that's what blew it.

short of the big 3, who, or what, is so invaluable as to not do this trade? i would like to know the deal breaker. otherwise, i think the FO may have underestimated demand for C. Magg and the willingness of teams to trade now. It's goes to the old adage, the early bird gets the worm. Milwaukee wanted boykins, they pull the trigger. Nellie wanted Harrington, he said eff the deadline and traded. Spurs need to be just as aggressive in pursuing the impact player that they want be it maggs or anyone else.

i just hope they do something to jumpstart this lethargic team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
That's what I tend to believe as well.

Baylor really was holding all the cards in this trade, and I think one of the byproducts of being so successful for so long is that people are less-than-willing to trade with us.

You act like Sterling really cares about winning.

MoSpur
01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
I would have loved Maggette on the Spurs' roster, but just because the Spurs didn't or don't get hime doesn't mean the Spurs aren't going to win a championship. He's not the only player able to help the Spurs win.

I was thinking, what if Nellie decides to buyout Jackson's contract on purpose so the Spurs could have him just to piss the Mavericks off. That would be great.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:25 PM
short of the big 3, who, or what, is so invaluable as to not do this trade? i would like to know the deal breaker. otherwise, i think the FO may have underestimated demand for C. Magg and the willingness of teams to trade now. It's goes to the old adage, the early bird gets the worm. Milwaukee wanted boykins, they pull the trigger. Nellie wanted Harrington, he said eff the deadline and traded. Spurs need to be just as aggressive in pursuing the impact player that they want be it maggs or anyone else.

I would have done the trade.

What I'm saying is that people assume that the Clippers would have accepted the trade.

FirebatMIV
01-18-2007, 02:26 PM

I tend to think that the only thing that will really jump start the team is a big shakeup, and not discarding guys who are all but gone, like Beno, or guys who have been mentioned in trade rumors for a long, long time, like Brent.

Actually, that's not true, two things might shake them up, a big trade or the playoffs. If neither of these work, we weren't going to win anyways.

That said, it's really hard to make trades when 1) you've been successful for so long and have developed a reputation as a Billy Beane-like FO and 2) you have very few tradable assets. I think that's the main problem here. Unless we want to break up the Big 3, we really have very few valuable pieces.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 02:26 PM

He does care about money, so I wonder if he'd really take on Dunleavy's long contract.

FirebatMIV
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM

You act as if spending ridiculous money this offseason is an indication otherwise. If Holt spent as much as Sterling spent this offseason, I'd have very few complaints about ownership.

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I tend to think that the only thing that will really jump start the team is a big shakeup, and not discarding guys who are all but gone, like Beno, or guys who have been mentioned in trade rumors for a long, long time, like Brent.

Actually, that's not true, two things might shake them up, a big trade or the playoffs. If neither of these work, we weren't going to win anyways.

That said, it's really hard to make trades when 1) you've been successful for so long and have developed a reputation as a Billy Beane-like FO and 2) you have very few tradable assets. I think that's the main problem here. Unless we want to break up the Big 3, we really have very few valuable pieces.

apparently the clipps had some interest in something the Spurs had to offer or there would have never been any mention of this in the media. GM's place calls all day, every day to inquire about the availability of players but it never make the news because the offer may not have been viable.

there had to be a deal breaker to the maggs trade, i'm just curious as to what the hell it was. draft pick, not wanting to take on a long contract?? i'd be more willing to accept it if there was a legit deal breaker. but when pop came out with that BS about not wanting to trade away ball handlers, i wanted to kick him in the nuts and tell him to get a clue :lol :lol :lol

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:31 PM
apparently the clipps had some interest in something the Spurs had to offer or there would have never been any mention of this in the media. GM's place calls all day, every day to inquire about the availability of players but it never make the news because the offer may not have been viable.

there had to be a deal breaker to the maggs trade, i'm just curious as to what the hell it was. draft pick, not wanting to take on a long contract?? i'd be more willing to accept it if there was a legit deal breaker. but when pop came out with that BS about not wanting to trade away ball handlers, i wanted to kick him in the nuts and tell him to get a clue :lol :lol :lol

Maybe the deal breaker was the Clippers saying, Nice offer, but we will wait and see what else we get offered from other teams.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Found on a Pacers board:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hate to burst any bubbles but this is a paraphrase from Marc Stein of ESPN Insider.

"Informed sources in L.A. insist that the Clips won't do that deal even if Clips coach Mike Dunleavy Sr. keeps lobbying for it."

I don't see them doing it. Dunleavy's contract is too long. One of the appeals of a Brent-Udrih-pick trade is the money goes away quickly.

FirebatMIV
01-18-2007, 02:36 PM

I tend to believe that Peter Holt is one of the worst owners in Sports, so I tend to believe money was the mitigating factor here.

I think Pop and RC, for all their fault, are probably one of the most handicapped frontoffices in professional sports.

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Maybe the deal breaker was the Clippers saying, Nice offer, but we will wait and see what else we get offered from other teams.

that would make me feel better. my interpretation of the info from the media is that the Spurs were hesitant to pull the trigger. Of course, I could have misunderstood.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:43 PM
that would make me feel better. my interpretation of the info from the media is that the Spurs were hesitant to pull the trigger. Of course, I could have misunderstood.

The Spurs were hesitant to include both ball handlers of Barry and Beno at first. They were probably also hesitant to include a first round pick. But that doesn't mean that the Clippers would have accepted their offer anyway (or that the Spurs never offered Beno/Barry/pick).

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Found on a Pacers board ...

I found that quote in Marc Stein's insider article, and also Chad Ford doesn't think it's happening either.

Ryan(dc): Chad, rumor has it that Dunleavy could be dealt to play with his Dad in LA for Maggette. Do you see this happening ?

Chad Ford: I think Mike Sr. and Mike Jr. would like that to happen. My guess is that the Pacers wouldn't mind it either, though I think Larry Bird is still intrigued by Dunleavy's potential. However, from what I hear, Clippers owner Donald Sterling doesn't want Mike Sr. coaching his son. He thinks it would be a distraction. So I'm not sure that's going to happen.

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 02:54 PM
I found that quote in Marc Stein's insider article, and also Chad Ford doesn't think it's happening either.

that leaves some hope for us but i'm not holding my breath :dizzy

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 02:55 PM
that leaves some hope for us but i'm not holding my breath :dizzy

Don't hold your breath. You'll die! We never make trades until the very last minute, when there's a fun chance the deadline might expire.

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Don't hold your breath. You'll die! We never make trades until the very last minute, when there's a fun chance the deadline might expire.

talk about incompetence :lol :lol :lol

if anything GS and Milwaukee has shown teams that the time to trade is now, eff waiting until the dealine. i'm hoping we follow their lead...and if not :pctoss

Big P
01-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Exactly.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Returning to that... What we were left with were potential offers from Miami, San Antonio, Toronto, and maybe Utah.

Miami's was refused straight away. Probably was James Posey or Antoine Walker.

Utah's is a mystery. CJ Miles, Giricek, or something?

Toronto's might have been Morris Peterson. Fine player, but not sure Clips want to lose Maggette for a guy they'd have only for half of one year.

San Antonio's Barry+Beno/Bonner. Not sure what it was.

Those aren't great offers. Clippers might have intentionally floated the idea they could get Artest for Maggette to drive the price up.

I think it was left with the Clips liking what San Antonio was offering - it fulfilled the 'veteran player, young prospect, future draft pick' demand two thirds of the way - and they left either with San Antonio walking away without offering the pick, or not wanting to give up their two bench ballhandlers (as Pop said) or the Clippers holding out for some team to get desperate and offering that first round pick.

I no longer believe the Dunleavy rumor. That doesn't seem correct.

texas84
01-18-2007, 03:50 PM
To my knowledge, a player cannot be traded again within 3 months time of a previous trade. I believe everyone involved in that trade is stuck with their new team until a) the offseason or b) they are released/bought out.

If this is true, then no trade involving Dunleavy can occur this year, since the trade deadline will have passed by the time the 3 month waiting period had ended.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Adding to previous post...

Last night we have a cryptic comment from Pop about the 8-player Indy/GSW trade:

While Popovich said it's too early to judge the impact of the trade, he does think it might cause other teams more aggressively evaluate their own rosters.

"It might make some other teams think about doing something earlier than usual," he said, "instead of waiting until the day of trade deadline and holding your cards until then.

"If you're going to do something, get it done, so you can get your new team and start working with them."

... which seems on the face of it to address the Clippers specifically. Why else would Pop say this unless there were some trade pending but another team was dragging their feet on it? It seems just as pointed as when the Clips specifically demanded a "veteran player, young talent, PLUS a future first round pick"; I can't think they were directing that at anybody else but the Spurs. Obviously they talk to each other directly, but sometimes need to broadcast requests and offers via the media.

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 03:56 PM

Last night we have a cryptic comment from Pop about the 8-player Indy/GSW trade:

... which seems on the face of it to address the Clippers specifically. Why else would Pop say this unless there were some trade pending but another team was dragging their feet on it? It seems just as pointed as when the Clips specifically demanded a "veteran player, young talent, PLUS a future first round pick"; I can't think they were directing that at anybody else but the Spurs. Obviously they talk to each other directly, but sometimes need to broadcast requests and offers via the media.

baylor and bufored need to takes their heads out of their asses and get it done. pops ready to pull the trigger and i like that. i just hope sterling doesn't fuck this up.

sungo99
01-18-2007, 04:11 PM
To my knowledge, a player cannot be traded again within 3 months time of a previous trade. I believe everyone involved in that trade is stuck with their new team until a) the offseason or b) they are released/bought out.

If this is true, then no trade involving Dunleavy can occur this year, since the trade deadline will have passed by the time the 3 month waiting period had ended.

Today Hollinger said any of the eight players can be traded before the trading deadline as long as it is NOT part of a multiplayer deal.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Today Hollinger said any of the eight players can be traded before the trading deadline as long as it is NOT part of a multiplayer deal.

That's correct.

Each player that was traded can be traded again ALONE immediately.
If they want to trade the player in a package, they have to wait 2 months.

GrandeDavid
01-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Maybe coach popazit knows something because he already said that might as well start making plans for an early vacation.

A freaking KNICKS fan talking smack about anything related to the San Antonio Spurs? Are you kidding me!? What is the world coming to!?

That´s like the Principality of Sealand (http://www.sealandgov.org/) talking military smack to Britain. Just doesn't make much sense in the intelligent world.

:jack

pad300
01-18-2007, 04:28 PM

My answer to that supposition is give the Clippers the 2008 1st, but ask for Maguette AND Singlton back. Singleton would give us another potential option for the 3/4 spot, particularly the small-ball 4. He could be VERY useful, and he has only played 5% of the available minutes for the Clippers this year.

pad300
01-18-2007, 04:29 PM
A freaking KNICKS fan talking smack about anything related to the San Antonio Spurs? Are you kidding me!? What is the world coming to!?

That´s like the Principality of Sealand (http://www.sealandgov.org/) talking military smack to Britain. Just doesn't make much sense in the intelligent world.

:jack

Hey, NY is a big city; Drugs are occasionally a problem...

timvp
01-18-2007, 04:46 PM
1. I'm convinced that there was a time when the Clippers were sucking and Maggette was constantly complaining that the Spurs could have had him for Barry, Udrih and a pick. That was back when Barry was shooting better than anyone in the league and Udrih was looking like a decent prospect. The Spurs decided not to do it at the time. Then the Spurs realized that they needed Maggette, but by then the Clippers had started to get healthy, Maggette had shutup, Barry couldn't hit a shot and Udrih looked like the worst player in the NBA. Spurs hesitated and it burned them.

2. Dunleavy for Maggette could happen, but I don't think it's a lock. Sr. coaching Jr. could turn into a disaster, and the Clippers realize that. Jr. has a horrible contract and the Clippers are looking to slash salary, not add it. Plus, the Pacers could have had Maggette last year but spurned the deal at the last second.

The Spurs could still land Maggette but it's pretty doubtful. Basically, no other team in the league will have to get desperate and the Spurs' offer will have to win by default.

VaSpursFan
01-18-2007, 04:56 PM
1. I'm convinced that there was a time when the Clippers were sucking and Maggette was constantly complaining that the Spurs could have had him for Barry, Udrih and a pick. That was back when Barry was shooting better than anyone in the league and Udrih was looking like a decent prospect. The Spurs decided not to do it at the time. Then the Spurs realized that they needed Maggette, but by then the Clippers had started to get healthy, Maggette had shutup, Barry couldn't hit a shot and Udrih looked like the worst player in the NBA. Spurs hesitated and it burned them.

i feel the same way. why you hesitate on a trade where you get younger is beyond me. the FO does some really weird shit sometimes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 04:57 PM

You can't trade them as part of another package, but you can trade them as a player for player deal.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 05:01 PM

I'm not so sure. Partly, yeah. We could have Maggette by now. But Barry's still playing well enough - he had a good game vs. the Lakers - and the change in performance is team-wide, not isolated to Barry at all. Like we've said before, nobody thinks trading for a hot player will keep them hot, or a cold player will necessarily stay cold, because it's much more complicated than that. Front offices can see further than five feet in front and behind them.

2. Dunleavy for Maggette could happen, but I don't think it's a lock. Sr. coaching Jr. could turn into a disaster, and the Clippers realize that. Jr. has a horrible contract and the Clippers are looking to slash salary, not add it. Plus, the Pacers could have had Maggette last year but spurned the deal at the last second.

IIRC, the Pacers withdrew the offer for Maggette because of his injury. They still clearly want him and it looks like another Pacers trade has to be in the works somewhere if for Maggette or otherwise. I don't think the Clippers ultimately want Dunleavy, Jr.

The Spurs could still land Maggette but it's pretty doubtful. Basically, no other team in the league will have to get desperate and the Spurs' offer will have to win by default.

Again, who is offering what? Is there a better offer out there? I really don't think so, although I think the Clippers' best deal is to start Maggette, get him happy, and forget trading him. They're not going to get the equivalent in trade. But their coach doesn't like him (and may be trying to force a trade for his son).

Pop's cryptic comment about teams realizing they need to make a trade sooner rather than later, in order to get their players together sooner, seemed curiously precise to not be directed at somebody. The odds of Maggette as a Spur... well, I still think the ball's in SAS's court. If they want Maggette, they can get him.

Supergirl
01-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Now the Spurs need to go get him (or someone else) from GS. There's no way they keep all five of those swingmen.

INDEED.
More than Jax, who is a headcase to go with all that talent, I'd love to see the Spurs nab Matt Barnes from GS. I know they've wanted him in the past. But he's said he wants to stay in the Bay Area...

I'd be happy to see Jax back though, only because I know he thrived under the leadership of TD and others...

AFBlue
01-18-2007, 05:25 PM
INDEED.
More than Jax, who is a headcase to go with all that talent, I'd love to see the Spurs nab Matt Barnes from GS. I know they've wanted him in the past. But he's said he wants to stay in the Bay Area...

I'd be happy to see Jax back though, only because I know he thrived under the leadership of TD and others...

Pietrus would be nice...but probably impossible to get without taking on a monstrous contract like Foyle.

Budkin
01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Manu and Jax ala 2003 would be awesome. Ony now Manu would start and Jax would come off the bench. I'd take him back in a second, but I think Pop is still holding a grudge against him for not resigning in 2003.

td4mvp21
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
How old is Jackson now? Probably 30 :lol. I'd still like to have him back. That would move Gino to the bench, get rid of Finley/Barry/Beno/whoeverelse, and at least give us an athletic guard/forward. The Spurs still need a better big man, either that or teach Oberto how to jump high and swat a shot. On second thought, I'll go with a better big man.

MannyIsGod
01-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Personally, I don't believe the Spurs ever had a chance to pull the trigger. The most I read was that the offer would intrigue the Clips, but it was never anything more than that. I don't know why it annoys me so much when Spurs fans complain about the Spurs not going after players like Jax because the front office is cheap.

To me, thats like saying that AHF doesn't screw Salma Hayek because he's a prude when in reality its because she won't give him the time of day. Teams value players differently than you and I do, and there are lots of different factors that come into play. And then you factor in that the Spurs seem to be a far more secretive franchise than most, and I believe that the vast majority of the time we as fans end up pulling shit out of our asses or trying to read into every thing that Pop says. Pop isn't speaking in code through the media to the fans just to keep us informed of front office operations so there isn't any need to read into "cryptic" comments or to look deep down into what they say. There isn't anything there.

Of course, this is all just speculation on my part as well, so whatever.

objective
01-18-2007, 07:35 PM
How old is Jackson now? Probably 30

he's 28; he'll turn 29 April 5th.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Spurs need to get Stephen Jackson back to SA

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 09:00 PM
To me, thats like saying that AHF doesn't screw Salma Hayek because he's a prude when in reality its because she won't give him the time of day.

Low blow Manny... I'd screw Salma eight ways from Sunday. :hat

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-18-2007, 09:03 PM
I would love to have Pietrus... anyone from Golden State will make me happy exept of course Dunleavy

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Low blow Manny... I'd screw Salma eight ways from Sunday. :hat

Have to be with a strap-on.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Have to be with a strap-on.

That's not what your girlfriend said.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 10:41 PM
That's not what your girlfriend said.

I'm married, dipshit.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Wife/gf/whatever.

exstatic
01-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I would love to have Pietrus... anyone from Golden State will make me happy exept of course Dunleavy
Dunleavy isn't in GS anymore. Try to keep up.

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Wife/gf/whatever.

Nah. You have the person wrong, then. It might have been a dude at a truckstop. Did "she" have a dick?

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 11:28 PM
You shouldn't talk about your wife like that.

By the way, props for jumping into a conversation between Manny and I. I know it must hurt, what with you putting Javtokas up on a pedestal like you did last summer to no avail :lol

BeerIsGood!
01-18-2007, 11:34 PM
This little verbal slap fight is somewhat entertaining I must say

T Park
01-19-2007, 03:35 AM
The supposed trade offer wasn't even that.

The Clippers were smart enough to hold out than getting those two stiffs.

If anyone thinks it was the Spurs that held up the deal, then I don't what to say, other than they are 100% wrong.

Bruno
01-19-2007, 04:08 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-cliprep19jan19,1,44064.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

No deal imminent involving Maggette

By Jason Reid, Times Staff Writer
January 19, 2007

General Manager Elgin Baylor recently said the Clippers had ended discussions about a proposed trade that would have sent Corey Maggette to the Sacramento Kings for forward Ron Artest.

Although the Clippers might move Maggette, whose agent has requested a trade, before the Feb. 22 trading deadline, no potential deals are considered imminent, team sources said Thursday.

Many teams are interested in Maggette, sources said, but the Clippers have not received what they consider acceptable offers. Maggette averaged at least 20 points in the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons and has a cap-friendly salary of $7 million a season through the 2008-09 season, so the Clippers would want to receive much for him.

Moreover, owner Donald T. Sterling's feelings about Maggette could present another hurdle.

Maggette has been among Sterling's favorite players since Baylor acquired the 6-foot-6, 225-pound wing player from the Orlando Magic after his rookie season.

Sterling probably would have permitted Baylor to trade Maggette for a player the caliber of Artest, but the basketball-operations staff might have more difficulty in persuading Sterling to move Maggette for many other players.

The Clippers might have two first-round picks (theirs and Minnesota's from the Sam Cassell trade) in the June draft, so they could wait until the summer to package Maggette with a pick in a bigger deal.

Stay tuned.

Bruno
01-19-2007, 04:09 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070119/SPORTS04/701190443/1088

Pacers notebook
Pacers not looking for another deal
Walsh says he doesn't plan to swap Dunleavy, who came from Warriors in trade

By Mike Wells and Mark Montieth

MIAMI -- The news of the Indiana Pacers' trade with Golden State had barely reached all corners of the NBA on Wednesday when a rumor began spreading: The Pacers were planning to send Mike Dunleavy Jr. to the Los Angeles Clippers for Corey Maggette.

"Absolutely untrue," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Thursday.

Walsh had just gotten off the phone with Dunleavy's father, Mike Sr., who coaches the Clippers. Their conversation wasn't about a trade; it was about how to get the most out of a player who was often regarded as a disappointment in his five seasons with Golden State.
"I talked to Indiana today for 45 minutes and there was no talk of any kind of deal," the elder Dunleavy told Los Angeles-area reporters. "He's there because they want him there.

timvp
01-19-2007, 04:15 AM
I haven't heard Maggette say he wants to be traded recently. For a while there he was saying it just about everyday.

If the Clippers were smart, they'd wait for a big offer.

We'll see.

JPB
01-19-2007, 04:36 AM
what makes Sjax even more interesting is that it wouldn't take much time to get him into the system. It have changed a bit but he already knows the basis.

VaSpursFan
01-19-2007, 09:10 AM
what makes Sjax even more interesting is that it wouldn't take much time to get him into the system. It have changed a bit but he already knows the basis.

Jax ain't a bad plan B. In fact, he needs to be with the Spurs before he self-destructs, personally and professionally.

ducks
01-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Jax ain't a bad plan B. In fact, he needs to be with the Spurs before he self-destructs, personally and professionally.
because it is the spurs job to make sure he acts right

I do not think so

Bruno
01-19-2007, 09:35 AM
The problem with Jax is that he needs to do things he hasn't done since 2003 :
- playing good D
- hustle
- being the 4th option
- not having off court problems

and you can't say he will likely be like he was in 03. You need to be sure at 100% of that : you can 't gamble on a player with more than $21M left on his contract at the end of the year.

Nobody can guarantee that Jax will come back with the same mentality than in 03 : hell no to him.

SenorSpur
01-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Obviously there are pros and cons with each guy. Among them:

Maggette
- younger
- better rebounder
- better mid range scorer

Jackson
- better defender
- better outside shooter
- knows the Spurs system

Spurs Brazil
01-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Warriors have surplus of swingmen

So now that the dust has cleared from Wednesday's tornado of events, it's easier to survey the Warriors' new roster.

It's clearly a better team, at least in regards to coach Don Nelson's style. It's no doubt much more feasible to work with financially, which will benefit executive vice president of basketball operations Chris Mullin in the future. It figures to be a more entertaining team, thanks to the increase in athleticism and off-the-court story lines.

But perhaps the most intriguing aspect resulting from Wednesday's whirlwind eight-player trade with the Indiana Pacers involves a decision that still has to be made, maybe by the Feb. 22 NBA trade deadline. Don't know if you noticed, but the Warriors now have three swingmen: Jason Richardson, Mickael Pietrus and recently acquired Stephen Jackson.

All three will play some shooting guard and small forward in Nelson's system. Only problem is, Nelson doesn't need three, especially since Monta Ellis is a lock to get some time at shooting guard. What Mullin, Nelson and general manager Rod Higgins have to decide is who stays and who goes. Let's say the Warriors keep two, starting one at small forward and the other at shooting guard, with Ellis coming off the bench, or starting with Ellis and the other coming off the bench.

Which two will Mullin keep? How much will salary factor in? Will he move one by the trade deadline or wait until the offseason?

Mullin intimated Wednesday that another move could come sooner rather than later. There are already rumors about the Warriors trying to get center Nazr Mohammed from Detroit, which has been shopping Mohammed in a search of backcourt help.

"Timing-wise," Mullin said when asked if he would be active near the trade deadline. "I think it's good because it gives us a good month to get a look at this, where we are, to maybe re-evaluate that."

So, who has the advantage? One would think Richardson is a lock to stay. But Pietrus and Jackson are cheaper.

Richardson's making a lot of money ($10 million this season, $51 million in the next four years after that). What's more, Nelson -- who obviously has some pull with the front office -- hasn't gotten to see Richardson at his best. Richardson has been hurt all season, so Nellie doesn't know the JR that carried this team last season. He might not be as loyal to Richardson as are Mullin and many fans. That could be a factor. If so, Richardson's plan to return the first game after the All-Star break might be a good idea.

If Pietrus (restricted free agent after this season) and Jackson (due $21.3 million over the next three years, not counting this season) together can accomplish what Richardson can, the Warriors may be willing to move Richardson and save the money -- especially if they can work out a reasonable extension with Pietrus.

Pietrus has value to the Warriors on the market as the trade deadline nears because he has an expiring $2.5 million contract. But, Pietrus could stick around because he's played himself onto Nelson's good side.

Pietrus is younger and potentially cheaper (unless another team throws an absurd amount of money at him) than Richardson and Jackson. He's also a better defender than either.

Jackson just might be the odd man out. That he still could do some jail time works against him. As does his reputation for being immature and whiny. As does his propensity for taking bad shots and playing poor defense.

But, Jackson is tall, strong, athletic and has the ability to be dominant. Nothing brings foam to the corner of Nellie's mouth like a matchup he can exploit, and Jackson can be a nightmare for opposing shooting guards. Still, it's going to take Jackson's putting on a spectacular show this month to stick around. On the one hand, if he plays well enough to draw interest from others, it might increase his chances of being shipped.

But if he somehow convinces the Warriors he can do as much or more than Richardson for less money, or if he shows he gives more bang for the buck than Pietrus, or if he proves he can be a content force off the bench and give the Warriors the kind of depth they lack, or if no other team is willing to take him off the Warriors' hands, he could stick around.

Of course, the Warriors could choose to keep just one of the three, and rely on the cost-effective production of swingmen Matt Barnes and Kelenna Azubuike. Either way, auditions begin Saturday, against LeBron James.

Contact Marcus Thompson II at [email protected].

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/16496900.htm

Mr. Body
01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Who's gonna trade for Richardson? Much less a hurt Richardson, with that contract?

Once again, the Spurs don't have enough to get a player they actually could use in Pietrus.

Jackson. *vomits*

Peel away Matt Barnes, please?

SenorSpur
01-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Peel away Matt Barnes, please?

I hear Nellie absolutely LOVES Barnes. His unexpected contribution explosion made Dunleavy expendable. Nice thought, but there's no way Nellie let's him go.

Ocotillo
01-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Regarding Golden State having too many swingmen. Unfortunately, our most tradeable commodity is Barry who is more of the same except for his outside shot and "experience". Bonner is hurt and Beno is Beno, I don't know if we got anything the Warriors would want for any of their small forwards. (Would you offer up Bruce?)

Kori Ellis
01-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Regarding Golden State having too many swingmen. Unfortunately, our most tradeable commodity is Barry who is more of the same except for his outside shot and "experience". Bonner is hurt and Beno is Beno, I don't know if we got anything the Warriors would want for any of their small forwards. (Would you offer up Bruce?)

There's talk that they are going to buyout Stephen Jackson. So he'd be on the open market. But if they don't do that, then I would think they'd trade Barnes, because he'd be the odd man out, and he doesn't make much. It wouldn't take anything significant to get him.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Do you think Barnes would be enough to help this team out. Or just a bandaid on a compound fracture.

He'd help with younger legs, defense, and athleticism off the bench as a backup swingman. But obviously he wouldn't fix the backup pg troubles or lack of a decent center. Sometimes I think the Spurs should upgrade their bigs before upgrading at the swingspots. I'm not sure.

Ocotillo
01-19-2007, 02:35 PM
There's talk that they are going to buyout Stephen Jackson. So he'd be on the open market. But if they don't do that, then I would think they'd trade Barnes, because he'd be the odd man out, and he doesn't make much. It wouldn't take anything significant to get him.

to pick him up if bought out, we would have to waive someone which means a James White likely.

Does Nellie have any great affection for Finley since they were together in Dallas? It would seem the buy out would be our best shot at getting Jax, because a three way would be hard to swing.

Darkwaters
01-19-2007, 02:43 PM
to pick him up if bought out, we would have to waive someone which means a James White likely.

Does Nellie have any great affection for Finley since they were together in Dallas? It would seem the buy out would be our best shot at getting Jax, because a three way would be hard to swing.

Why would you waive James White (who is a project for next year) when you have a scrub like Erik Williams riding the pine? No, they waive Erik Williams way before they waive White.

JPB
01-19-2007, 03:09 PM
He'd help with younger legs, defense, and athleticism off the bench as a backup swingman. But obviously he wouldn't fix the backup pg troubles or lack of a decent center. Sometimes I think the Spurs should upgrade their bigs before upgrading at the swingspots. I'm not sure.

I feel you.
In an ideal world Spurs would get a back-up PG, a long 3 and another inside threat. Problem is they'll have to chose IF they decide to make a trade and I'm not sure one single change could make a major difference. that's why the only solution could be to live or with the current roster.

SenorSpur
01-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Barnes is on record as stating he's prefer to stay on the West Coast. Obviously, he'd prefer to stay with G.S. too - but I guess you can't have everything. I've already read rumblings about him claiming that now that he's having a breakout year, he'll be looking for a BIG PAYDAY (can't blame him there)

All that said, my question is do you think he'll even consider coming here - assuming he's the odd man out?

If not, I'd prefer Jackson because I'm sure he'd want to come back to S.A.

Bruno
01-20-2007, 05:41 AM
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/basketball/nba/charlotte_bobcats/16504735.htm

Bickerstaff confirmed to the Observer that he talked to the Los Angeles Clippers about Corey Maggette's availability, but there didn't seem to be a match.

Bickerstaff asked if the Clippers were interested in the first-round pick the Toronto Raptors owe the Bobcats.

The Clippers indicated they'd also want another small forward, and that seemed like too high a price.

The Raptors pick is a quite good pick (top 15 protected in the 2007 Draft, top 14 protected in the 2008 Draft, and unprotected in the 2009 Draft). Clippers asks a lot for Maggette, I'm not sure that Clipper were ready to do Barry+Udrih+Spurs' late 1st for Maggette.

Texas_Ranger
01-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Great job Spurs organisation. :madrun

bigdog
01-20-2007, 10:47 AM
with the loss of murphy,the warriors dont have too many big guys outside of beidrins and foyle. we might wanna ship scola's rights and someone else,like williams, for someone like beno

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 06:49 PM
with the loss of murphy,the warriors dont have too many big guys outside of beidrins and foyle. we might wanna ship scola's rights and someone else,like williams, for someone like beno

I think Golden State is talking to the Pistons about getting Nazr.

Bruno
01-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Neverending story :

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/abox/article_1553113.php

Tuesday, January 23, 2007
ART THOMPSON III
The Orange County Register

SIXTH BEST

Corey Maggette for sixth man of the year?

The Clippers’ swingman is not campaigning but his play off the bench has made him a viable candidate. Maggette is averaging 15.5 points.

Only Chicago’s Ben Gordon, at 21.3 points per game, has attained similar numbers, while performing primarily for his team’s second unit.

“I said from the beginning that could happen, when you have a guy like Corey coming off the bench, with his explosion and being able to take advantage of favorable matchups every night, that he could be very productive,’’ Dunleavy said.

Maggette has not entirely warmed to this role, which is why, through his agent Rob Pelinka, Maggette lobbied the Clippers to trade him. But although the Clippers contacted a number of teams, at Pelinka’s behest, Dunleavy has been reluctant to do make a trade, cognizant of what Maggette can do on the offensive end.

“He’s a high-energy guy that gives you a big boost,’’ Dunleavy said.

The league’s sixth man of the year award was an incentive that Dunleavy thought would get Maggette to readily accept coming off the bench.

“Any award you get from the NBA is a great accomplishment,’’ Maggette said. “But at the end of each day, I’m just striving to be the best player that I can.’’

ANOTHER NO-TRADE

Dunleavy dismissed as nonsense the latest trade rumor regarding Maggette. This one is a three-way deal involving the Clippers, Miami Heat and Philadelphia 76ers. It has Maggette going to the Heat, Miami trading forward James Posey and his expiring contract to the 76ers, with the Clippers receiving Philadelphia’s long-range shooting specialist Kyle Korver, who has Southern California roots.

It is no secret Miami has dangled Posey as trade bait. They tried to entice the Clippers into a Maggette for Posey trade earlier this season, but the Clippers declined.

Philadelphia trading Korver would be a shock. The 76ers signed him to a contract extension last summer.

It is likely, although not entirely certain, that the Clippers will let the Feb.22 trade deadline come and go.

“We threw our line in the water early and did not get any responses, at least none that were of any interest to us,’’ Dunleavy said.

VaSpursFan
01-24-2007, 09:50 AM
paper clips want to much for maggs...so they're stuck with each other. they're winning now so it's not as tense. if they go on a losing streak before the deadline, maybe they'll get desperate and move him. but i still think the spurs offer won't be good enough.

i like the idea of matt barnes in a spurs uni...but i don't think nellie let's him go with S. Jax headed to the big house

Mr. Body
01-24-2007, 10:03 AM
That Phila-Miami-LAC trade would be nice, but the Sixers need something more than an expiring.

Clippers doing the right thing by them; their best move was in not making one.

MoSpur
01-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I watched the Clippers game last night and Maggette didn't play in the third at all and didn't play too much period. He wasn't hurt, just didn't play. He played some fourth quarter minutes, but when he was in, he didn't look interested at all.

Mr. Body
01-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I watched the Clippers game last night and Maggette didn't play in the third at all and didn't play too much period. He wasn't hurt, just didn't play. He played some fourth quarter minutes, but when he was in, he didn't look interested at all.

To be fair, Milwaukee wasn't terribly competitive in that game.

That said, Maggette is hardly the cure-all panacea some people on this board make him out to be. If you look at the maligned '2008 Plan', you see how much money can be cleared under the cap to run at multiple free agents/take on salary, and Maggette junks up a lot of that space.

Not saying I wouldn't want him, but he only does one thing on the court well -- drive, get fouled, and go to the line, though his rebounding obviously helps. We need a multi-faceted wingman who can defend.

MoSpur
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I agree with you. I'd rather have an athletic big man or long 3 and a dependable backup point before getting Maggette. I think Maggette gives the Spurs some good things, but not exactly what this team needs.

ploto
01-24-2007, 11:22 AM
There's talk that they are going to buyout Stephen Jackson. So he'd be on the open market.

Thought I would let people know that he may be heading to jail long before the season is even over.

When Jackson, acquired by Golden State from the Indiana Pacers last week, appears in a Rochester Hills, Mich. courtroom on Friday, there is a chance that he could be immediately incarcerated for 93 days.

Even worse, if he's convicted of the three charges he faces in Indianapolis stemming from an early-morning Oct. 6 incident at an establishment called Club Rio, Jackson faces up to five more years of imprisonment.

"I worry about what I can control," Jackson said. "And the only thing I can control right now is living my life the right way and playing basketball."

Jackson's court appearance this week deals with the probation he's served since pleading no contest in September 2005 to misdemeanor assault charges from the infamous brawl between the Pacers and the Detroit Pistons in November 2004. Jackson went into the crowd after teammate Ron Artest and
become involved in a melee with fans...

Even though the criminal recklessness charge is a "D" class felony -- the lowest of four types in Indiana law it carries with it a sentence of six months to three years in prison. The additional misdemeanor charges he faces of battery and disorderly conduct can lead to up to a year each.

A conviction for a violent felony results in a minimum 10-game suspension by the NBA and it could leave the door open for the Warriors to try and void Jackson's contract.

LINK (http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_5075195)

LilMissSPURfect
01-24-2007, 11:29 AM
I am open to the spurs getting help from where ever but it iz still upto POP to loosen up the reigns....I read somewhere that the SPURS might have exactly what they need as far as a 3 with ung legs and they got rebounders overseas and yet we are still here bickering about trades....

mssg to POP

"LET THEM PLAY" LET THEM PLAY!

i say stop calling plays on every possession and have the SPURS RUN and GUN more... who knows maybe that is the problem...they are so predictable....

I prefer watching TIM attempting an ALLEY oop rather than him holding the ball and Surveying !!! just go TIM!!!

GO!

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Lane (Kukuihaele, HI): Are the Nets seriously thinking about trading Vince Carter & Marcus Williams to the Clippers for Shaun Livingston & Corey Maggette? Doesn't this deal benefit the Clips more?

Chad Ford: I've got to give some love to my chatters from Hawaii.

I think this is a pretty fair deal because I think Shaun Livingston still has such enormous potential and Carter could leave via free agency. I think it also opens the door further to moving Jason Kidd.

Would give the Clipps the juice they need in the back court.

If the Clips are considering VCarter, I doubt they are giving a second thought to Beno/Barry.

T-Pain
01-25-2007, 07:28 PM
muah, goodbye Maggette

Please_dont_ban_me
01-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Aren't Al Harrington and Maggette comparible players?

What purpose does this serve? Other than unloading Dunleave. Maggette > Dunleavey, but you just gave up alot to get Dunleavy and Murphy...now you're turning around and giving Dunleavy away for a guy who plays just like the guy you traded for Dunleavy? Oooook.

Bruno
01-26-2007, 05:08 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-cliprep26jan26,1,405065.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Sterling wants Maggette to stay
January 26, 2007

Clippers owner Donald T. Sterling wanted to send a message, so he summoned General Manager Elgin Baylor, Coach Mike Dunleavy and Corey Maggette to an impromptu meeting Saturday near the bottom of the entrance ramp at Staples Center.

The Clippers had just routed the Memphis Grizzlies and Sterling figured the time was right to make his position known on the team's trade discussions involving Maggette. Sterling said he wanted the seven-year veteran to remain with the team, Maggette said he hoped to stay and Baylor and Dunleavy agreed that few players available in trades could help the Clippers more than Maggette, according to Clippers officials familiar with the conversation

Although the owner left the door ajar to trade the Clippers' leading scorer off the bench, telling Maggette he would permit Baylor and Dunleavy to move him in a deal that might improve the team significantly, Sterling was firm in his message: He wants Maggette to be with the Clippers for a long time.

The productive sixth man played a key role again Thursday night for the Clippers, who got a go-ahead three-pointer from Cuttino Mobley with 0.6 of a second remaining in a 102-101 win over the New Jersey Nets at Staples.

Maggette scored 18 points, grabbed six rebounds and had five assists.

The Newark Star-Ledger on Thursday reported that the Clippers and Nets talked about possibly trading Maggette and Shaun Livingston for star swingman Vince Carter and rookie guard Marcus Williams.

The Clippers did speak with the Nets about the availability of Carter and star point guard Jason Kidd, and were told the players were not available. The Clippers are no longer pursing any deals involving Carter and Kidd, team sources said.

The Clippers had been in discussions with many teams about potential trades that could help them improve before the Feb. 22 trading deadline. Carter and Kidd were among the players the Clippers identified as potential difference-makers.

The team had shopped Maggette because his agent, Rob Pelinka, was concerned about Maggette's role and requested a trade.

Before Thursday's game, Dunleavy said he did not expect Maggette to be traded.

"In the role he's in, Corey is very valuable to our team," Dunleavy said. "In terms of coming in and giving us scoring, rebounding and energy, Corey has been a big contributor to what we're trying to do."

Bruno
01-26-2007, 05:09 AM
Goodbye Corey. :cry

Mr. Body
01-26-2007, 05:35 AM
The Clips smartened up. They never were getting value for Maggette.

timvp
01-26-2007, 05:48 AM
The Clips smartened up. They never were getting value for Maggette.

Funny you say that now when you were saying earlier that Barry and Beno was too much to give up for Maggette.

Mr. Body
01-26-2007, 06:01 AM
Funny you say that now when you were saying earlier that Barry and Beno was too much to give up for Maggette.

I was going back and forth, as you may recall. While I recognized he was the better player, I thought it was a risky move that might disrupt the tenuous amount the bench was producing and that Maggette was several kinds of expensive for what he'd offer. I still don't think he'd be the solution.

SenorSpur
01-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Now we can REALLY kiss Maggette goodbye!

CLIPPERS REPORT
Sterling wants Maggette to stay
January 26, 2007

Clippers owner Donald T. Sterling wanted to send a message, so he summoned General Manager Elgin Baylor, Coach Mike Dunleavy and Corey Maggette to an impromptu meeting Saturday near the bottom of the entrance ramp at Staples Center.

The Clippers had just routed the Memphis Grizzlies and Sterling figured the time was right to make his position known on the team's trade discussions involving Maggette. Sterling said he wanted the seven-year veteran to remain with the team, Maggette said he hoped to stay and Baylor and Dunleavy agreed that few players available in trades could help the Clippers more than Maggette, according to Clippers officials familiar with the conversation.

Although the owner left the door ajar to trade the Clippers' leading scorer off the bench, telling Maggette he would permit Baylor and Dunleavy to move him in a deal that might improve the team significantly, Sterling was firm in his message: He wants Maggette to be with the Clippers for a long time.

Mr. Body
01-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Wonder why Sterling took so long to say so.

Regardless, he's doing the right thing.

Kermit
01-26-2007, 02:18 PM
"Wonder why Sterling took so long to say so."

he's donald sterling. he was probably too busy banging cocktail waitresses in his elevator, office, suite, restroom, front-court seat, locker-room, and control booth to notice anything.

i'm sure he pays them better than he pays his players.

SenorSpur
01-26-2007, 02:38 PM
"Wonder why Sterling took so long to say so."

he's donald sterling. he was probably too busy banging cocktail waitresses in his elevator, office, suite, restroom, front-court seat, locker-room, and control booth to notice anything.

i'm sure he pays them better than he pays his players.

Couldn't blame him for that! :spin

Shawn Carter
01-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Yall aint gonna get Maggette, Im currently workin on trade possibilities to get him to NJ with Carter goin to LA, yall heard it here first

ChumpDumper
01-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Actually I heard that somewhere else first.

Shawn Carter
01-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Actually I heard that somewhere else first.
well your hearin it from the owner himself...

ChumpDumper
01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Bruce Ratner?

SenorSpur
02-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Recall that several weeks ago an impromptu, "warm and fuzzy" meeting was called between GM Elgin Baylor, head coach Mike Dunleavy and SG Corey Maggette by Clippers owner Donald Sterling. During which time, Sterling confirmed his commitment toward keeping Maggette in a Clippers uniform.

Sterling went onto say that he wouldn't simply "give away" the player unless a deal made sense. There were also attempts by Sterling to "smooth over" any hurt feelings that may have transpired on the part of the player and coach. Apparently, there is still some discontent between the two.

See below

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44594/20070207/maggette_upset_at_dunleavy_again/

Maggette Upset At Dunleavy Again
7th February, 2007 - 11:10 am
Los Angeles Times -
Corey Maggette only played 17 minutes in the Clippers' loss to the Knicks on Tuesday night and voiced very strong criticism for Mike Dunleavy following the game.

"It's just more of Dunleavy's [stuff] again," Maggette said. "I don't get it, I really don't. It's crazy. I put in work. I deserve to play.

"It's totally mind-boggling to me. [It's] unbelievable that I couldn't help this team tonight. Why? Why?"

In January, Donald Sterling came out and said that things had cleared after an impromptu meeting between Maggette, Sterling, Elgin Baylor and Dunleavy.

"He isn't listening to Sterling," Maggette said of Dunleavy. "If he listened to him, I'd be playing.

"I really felt we were [past this]. I guess not, because here we go again. I'm a yo-yo, man."

Of course, none of this means anything for the Spurs. It's just simply to let everyone know that all isn't quite as rosy as the Clips have been leading the world to believe.

VaSpursFan
02-07-2007, 03:38 PM
coach/player relationship fractured beyond repair. the clips have to move Maggs now.

RC's Boss
02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Recall that several weeks ago an impromptu, "warm and fuzzy" meeting was called between GM Elgin Baylor, head coach Mike Dunleavy and SG Corey Maggette by Clippers owner Donald Sterling. During which time, Sterling confirmed his commitment toward keeping Maggette in a Clippers uniform.

Sterling went onto say that he wouldn't simply "give away" the player unless a deal made sense. There were also attempts by Sterling to "smooth over" any hurt feelings that may have transpired on the part of the player and coach. Apparently, there is still some discontent between the two.

See below

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44594/20070207/maggette_upset_at_dunleavy_again/

Maggette Upset At Dunleavy Again
7th February, 2007 - 11:10 am
Los Angeles Times -
Corey Maggette only played 17 minutes in the Clippers' loss to the Knicks on Tuesday night and voiced very strong criticism for Mike Dunleavy following the game.

"It's just more of Dunleavy's [stuff] again," Maggette said. "I don't get it, I really don't. It's crazy. I put in work. I deserve to play.

"It's totally mind-boggling to me. [It's] unbelievable that I couldn't help this team tonight. Why? Why?"

In January, Donald Sterling came out and said that things had cleared after an impromptu meeting between Maggette, Sterling, Elgin Baylor and Dunleavy.

"He isn't listening to Sterling," Maggette said of Dunleavy. "If he listened to him, I'd be playing.

"I really felt we were [past this]. I guess not, because here we go again. I'm a yo-yo, man."

Of course, none of this means anything for the Spurs. It's just simply to let everyone know that all isn't quite as rosy as the Clips have been leading the world to believe.
Yeah i read that too. I guess we can say our prayers before we go to bed and hope huh?

RC's Boss
02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I just hope he wouldn't bring that attitude to the Spurs if he were to come here.

FromWayDowntown
02-07-2007, 03:45 PM
I'd think that if the owner has Maggette's back and Maggette thinks the problem is Dunleavy, that it's more likely that Dunleavy will be the person to leave the organization. Dunleavy did great things for that franchise last year and they're starting to get some things straightened out in Clipperland, which might suggest that Dunleavy is secure, but these sorts of squabbles tend to be resolved against the coach.

Mr. Body
02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"

ShoogarBear
02-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Sounds like some CIA-type government destabilization to me.

MoSpur
02-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I read this earlier in the morning, but doubt the Spurs have anything the Clippers would like to have. They are said to be wanting to sign Christie to another 10-day contract.

itzsoweezee
02-07-2007, 04:32 PM
I just hope he wouldn't bring that attitude to the Spurs if he were to come here.

sounds like he's got a legit gripe. dunleavy's decisions this year are mind-boggling.

VaSpursFan
02-07-2007, 04:41 PM
sounds like he's got a legit gripe. dunleavy's decisions this year are mind-boggling.

tell me about it...q. ross starts??? wtf???

BALLZ & MY WORD
02-07-2007, 05:50 PM
I could see him getting 25mpg here. However, that point is rendered mute considering its outside the realm of possibility that we get him.

yavozerb
02-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I could see him getting 25mpg here. However, that point is rendered mute considering its outside the realm of possibility that we get him.
No way he would shoot enough for 25 pts, probably more like 15-18 pts a night..Agree with on you on the fact it doesnt matter cause we are not trading for him anyways

Extra Stout
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
COINTELPRO Pop.

BALLZ & MY WORD
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
No way he would shoot enough for 25 pts, probably more like 15-18 pts a night..Agree with on you on the fact it doesnt matter cause we are not trading for him anyways

25 minutes per game not points

Slinkyman
02-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Maggette would probably start with manu coming off the bench, he could see 30 mpg i think. but i also think there's no way the spurs get maggette.

mardigan
02-07-2007, 08:48 PM
He hasnt played at all tonight

Mr. Body
02-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Maggette's gone. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow where.

mardigan
02-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Lets hope, I cant see any other reason that he hasnt even come in to the game.

Ocotillo
02-07-2007, 08:58 PM
If he gets unhappy with small minutes it would only be a matter of time before he would be pouting here if Pop sat him for missing defensive assignments.

T Park
02-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Brent Barry hasn't played the second half has he :flypig

exstatic
02-07-2007, 09:41 PM
He would. Doc Rivers couldn't stand him in Orlando, either. That's why he's a Clipper now.

Fabbs
02-07-2007, 09:59 PM
He would. Doc Rivers couldn't stand him in Orlando, either. That's why he's a Clipper now.
I've got to say, as much as timvp and other have outlined how MeGettys rebounding and FTs could help the Spurs Championship, agree with exct his attitude is off the hook selfish. Clipps last year were having their 1st success in years and all he could do was bitch about playing time.

Latter part of the season he seemed to accept his role. But does his MeMe attitude ever go away or just lie dormant ready to burst.

Best of both worlds if we could get a 2007 Champ role out of him and then cut him loose afterwords???

SequSpur
02-07-2007, 10:07 PM
yawn

AFBlue
02-07-2007, 11:19 PM
UPDATE: Corey didn't play tonight during the Clips double-digit loss to Cleveland that only saw them score 77 pts. According to team officials, Corey was out with the flu.

Okay, this has BS written all over it. Maggette gets put on the inactive list one day after publicly chastising his coach, yet again, and they say it's the flu?

Even after the owner tried to make peace with all parties, the situation is still unresolved. This looks to me like one of those "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" situations on the part of the Clippers FO.

He's getting traded by the Feb. 22nd deadline...BOOK IT! I just don't know where to....

AFBlue
02-07-2007, 11:20 PM

For future reference...it's moot, not mute.

exstatic
02-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I don't think they'll trade him during the season, but he may want to put his house up for sale this summer. Clippers will get much more value this summer when there aren't deadline pressures.

AFBlue
02-07-2007, 11:27 PM
I don't think they'll trade him during the season, but he may want to put his house up for sale this summer. Clippers will get much more value this summer when there aren't deadline pressures.

The season is only halfway over and I'm sure there's only so much the Clippers FO can put up with. If he continues his rants about lack of PT and the Clips continue to lose, the boos will get louder and his trade value will plummet.

AFBlue
02-07-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm beginning to think this was all part of Pop's plan. He KNEW one pep talk wouldn't do the trick. He knew the Clips would eventually get desperate and start to reconsider the deals that were laid on the table.

So he started Barry....not to give the bench a boost, but to boost his value.

Barry + Butler for Maggette

JPB
02-09-2007, 08:11 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-cliprep9feb09,1,6322886.story?track=rss

CLIPPERS REPORT
Maggette is sick, not being punished
Conspiracy theorists, relax: Sixth man was too ill to play against Cavaliers.
February 9, 2007

PHILADELPHIA — Although the Clippers seem to have many problems that might derail their season, Corey Maggette's situation hasn't been a distraction for the team, Clippers sources said Thursday.

The Clippers' sixth man again expressed frustration about his role after playing only 17 minutes in Tuesday's loss to the New York Knicks, blasting Coach Mike Dunleavy for leaving him on the bench for most of the second half while the Knicks overcame a 10-point halftime deficit.

Maggette sat out Wednesday's loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers because of what a Clippers official said were flu-like symptoms, and his absence from the lineup and bench a day after criticizing Dunleavy prompted reporters to question whether the Clippers had privately taken disciplinary action against their second-leading scorer.

There was no coverup, team sources said.

Maggette was so ill that he remained at the team hotel for the first half of Wednesday's game. The seven-year veteran wasn't at practice Thursday and might not play tonight. People who saw Maggette on Thursday said he "looked horrible" and laughed about fans' conspiracy theories.

Meanwhile, the Clippers have lost three in a row and are 1-3 on a seven-game, 12-day trip, their longest of the season.

Most in the organization already knew that Maggette would rather play elsewhere because of his feelings about Dunleavy, sources said, and Maggette's agent earlier in the season requested a trade. General Manager Elgin Baylor has repeatedly tried to bring Maggette and Dunleavy together.

Dunleavy would commit to playing almost anyone who performed to his expectations, many said, but Maggette rarely does.

In the loss to the Knicks, Maggette had no rebounds or deflections (a key statistic in Dunleavy's grading system) and missed several rotations on defense, sources said.

The situation hasn't been a problem in the locker room because the Clippers are a veteran team, players said, adding they admire Maggette for his work ethic and like him personally, but business is business.

Despite Maggette's latest comments, it's doubtful the team would trade him before the Feb. 22 deadline.

TONIGHT

at Philadelphia, 4 PST, (5:30, Channel 5)

Site — Wachovia Center.

Radio — 710.

Records — Clippers 24-25, 76ers 17-33.

Record vs. 76ers — 1-0.

Update — Forward Tim Thomas (hyper-extended right knee) might not play tonight. Philadelphia Coach Maurice Cheeks has been credited with much of the team's improvement since Allen Iverson was traded. Only 5-18 with Iverson on the roster, Philadelphia is 12-15 since the deal in which it acquired Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 first-round draft picks.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 08:57 AM
JPB...you smell that?

Whoah.....what a load of BULLSHIT!

TheTruth
02-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Why is this Spurs news?

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Why is this Spurs news?

Previous interest in Maggette by Spurs FO I guess. To shoot down Spurs fans that are hopeful of an irreparable tear between Clippers FO and Maggette causing a monumental slide in his trade value and a chance for the Spurs to have a "do-over" with the Barry-Udrih/Bonner deal.

Pure and utter desperation....

Bruno
02-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Maggette acting like a dumbass can help Spurs to get him because :
- Clippers will seek more to trade him if he is cancer.
- His trade value is lower.
- Some teams that are young or/and without a strong chemistry (like Toronto) can judge that Maggette is a too big risk to take for them.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Maggette! Maggette! Maggette!

MoSpur
02-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I went to another web-site where you can propose trades. I tried a Brent Barry and Beno Udrih for Corey Maggette and it worked $$$ wise. I don't know if the Clippers would be willing or even if the Spurs would be willing. However, it worked financially. A lot of you may have known this though before. LOL

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 01:51 PM
I went to another web-site where you can propose trades. I tried a Brent Barry and Beno Udrih for Corey Maggette and it worked $$$ wise. I don't know if the Clippers would be willing or even if the Spurs would be willing. However, it worked financially. A lot of you may have known this though before. LOL

Yeah that was the initial hot rumor.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Greetings once again from New York, where I witnessed the showcasing of Jerome James (I know, it sounds like a contradiction of terms) first-hand the other night at MSG and picked Corey Maggette's brain about where he might get traded (he thinks the Spurs are still a possibility). Less than two weeks to go before the trade deadline, so I welcome all queries on that subject. Also, any and allVegas-themed questions will be entertained with All-Star just a week away. Let's roll ...

This the intro from his chat on ESPN this afternoon....

BALLZ & MY WORD
02-09-2007, 04:26 PM
This the intro from his chat on ESPN this afternoon....

Did you mean, this IS the intro from his chat on ESPN this afternoon? I suppose that was about as asinine as you correcting me on mute vs. moot point huh. Thanks for the insight, I suppose.

Bruno
02-09-2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-clippersqa10feb10,1,4167971.story?page=1&coll=la-headlines-sports

Maggette and Dunleavy / Ask Jason Reid
12:23 PM PST, February 9, 2007

Readers questions for Clippers beat reporter Jason Reid.

Q: Mike Dunleavy has ruined the Clippers by deciding that Quinton Ross, barely an average sub, is a better player than Maggette, which is ludicrous.

Dunleavy has replaced Maggette as a starter by a guy who can barely score a point and who can't shut down anyone on defense, the vaguely hinted premise for Dunleavy's infatuation with him.

Maggette is a dynamic scorer, rebounder and passer who brings tremendous energy to his team...at least he was before Dunleavy suppressed him. He's left out of the team's offensive scheme even when he's on the floor. Everything goes into Brand, who isn't scoring as much because he's double and triple teamed but still insists on putting it up almost every time. Or into Kaman with his clumsy $52-million moves. Or Cassell, or Livingston, which is fine, or Thomas who's OK, or Mobley who gives you 24 points one day and nothing the next.

The Clippers need every weapon they have to succeed. Maggette gets nothing but handoff passes beyond the 3-point line. He gets almost no leads to the basket. He has to take it to the hoop by himself.

Despite all this, he's still the team's second leading scorer!

Charles Sergis

A: Well, you obviously have strong feelings about the Maggette-Dunleavy situation. Maggette isn't happy playing under Dunleavy, which he has repeatedly made clear in his critical comments about the coach.

I disagree that Dunleavy has ruined the Clippers. The team has played poorly while failing to meet expectations, and there's plenty of blame to go around, but Dunleavy's decision to start Quinton Ross and others instead of Maggette hasn't demoralized the seven-year veteran.

If anything, Maggette has been even more motivated to excel in his reserve role and reaffirm his importance to the team. Dunleavy wants to win and has made decisions he believes are best for the Clippers. His job has been made more difficult because, as you noted, Chris Kaman has struggled.

The Clippers expected Kaman to have a big season and it hasn't happened yet. Kaman has regressed from last season, which has been a big problem. Maggette has been a productive scorer throughout his career, and might benefit from playing in a more up-tempo offense.

Dunleavy and Maggette are proud and stubborn men. They haven't worked well together, so Maggette might be traded after the season.

Q: Instead of speculating what Dunleavy's motives may have been, how come no one in the media dared to ask His Highness why he didn't play Corey more since it was obvious that the Clips needed more effective inside play against the Knicks?

Corey might not have had any rebounds when his coach yanked him. But coaches frequently allow great shooters to stay in and keep firing away during a game. Skillful shooting is much harder than rebounding. Why not leave Corey in since it wasn't very likely that a strong inside player like him would finish the game with no rebounds?

Both Dunleavy and Maggette leave something to be desired in their respective realms as coach and player. But this time I feel Corey's questions have some merit.

Clifford Burton
Santa Monica

A: Dunleavy declined to answer reporters' questions about the Maggette situation. While he was speaking with his family and friends after the game (Dunleavy is a New Yorker), I informed him in detail of Maggette's comments in an attempt to persuade him to respond.

I definitely would have preferred to have comments from Dunleavy, but he chose not to comment. That's his prerogative.

Dunleavy is tired of commenting about the Maggette situation. The whole thing has been a thorn in his side.

As for your observation about Maggette being a skillful shooter, I strongly disagree with you. Maggette has been an aggressive scorer throughout his career, but that's not the same thing as being a skillful shooter.

He's really not a very good shooter, especially from long range (12.5% on three-point shots through his first 44 games). He can score, however, which is why other teams have attempted to acquire Maggette.

Q: I've been following the Clippers since 1988. Like many others, I was really excited last year and am very frustrated with the Clippers play this year.

It is totally unfair that Maggette has to face this trade situation. Maggette has put in lots of time, effort and dedication for the Clippers. Ever since he came back from his injury last year, he's been coming off the bench. Moreover, Q. Ross who replaced him for the starting position, is no longer the starter. So why is Maggette on the bench?

In contrast, Mobley's play has been terrible and he's getting lots of minutes.

In short, Dunleavy's "coach's decision" answer to the press is insufficient. Maggette deserves an answer from Dunleavy for shorting his playing time and hurting the Clippers chance to win.

Michael Au

A: Earlier in the season, Maggette volunteered to come off the bench, which pleased Dunleavy. Maggette figured it would be better if he just accepted a reserve role, which he did after Dunleavy committed to giving him a prominent position as the team's sixth man.

Had he not volunteered to come off the bench, Maggette would have started often this season, Dunleavy said. Maggette has been effective as a sixth man, averaging 15.2 points (second on the team) and 5.7 rebounds (third). But Maggette is averaging only 27.3 minutes.

Maggette averaged a career-high 36.9 minutes in the 2004-05 season. Elton Brand leads the team this season in minutes played at 38.1, and Maggette believes he should play more.

As for Mobley, he's averaging 34.4 minutes, 12.5 points and is shooting 39% from three-point range. Mobley has been inconsistent, but Dunleavy is committed to Mobley because he is considered better on defense than Maggette.

Dunleavy says his office door is always open to players. Maggette could meet with Dunleavy to discuss his standing on the team, but it seems Maggette would prefer to limit his contact with Dunleavy.

Q: I just can't understand Dunleavy. Maggette is not only a very good player, but he is also very popular and has many fans throughout Los Angeles. I have always admired Dunleavy as a coach — but there is something wrong — why does he dislike Maggette? Get over it and put him on your starting team and win the games. Don't be so stubborn or Clipper fans will get rid of you not Maggette

Joan Hawley McGrath
Long Beach

A: It's really not personal with Dunleavy. He's so competitive, he would play almost anyone who could help the Clippers win. Of course, Dunleavy is not pleased that Maggette has made critical comments about him to reporters.

Dunleavy is frustrated with Maggette because of his performance on defense and decision-making. Maggette believes Dunleavy does not respect his ability.

Dunleavy signed a $22-million contract extension this season, so he's not going anywhere. Maggette would be the one to leave.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Did you mean, this IS the intro from his chat on ESPN this afternoon? I suppose that was about as asinine as you correcting me on mute vs. moot point huh. Thanks for the insight, I suppose.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be condescending, just trying let you know so that you didn't sound ignorant when possibly using the word in the future. If you want to be pissed about it and correct every spelling error/word omission that I have, go ahead waste your day. :rolleyes

I was being helpful....you were being an ass.

BALLZ & MY WORD
02-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Hardly have time to correct every spelling error. However, as for you not being condescending, that is a matter of perception. Wasn't sure where you were coming from, so I atleast tried to thank you for the insight. Anyway my point is [/B]moot considering we're debating over words on a Spurs forum. Honestly it isn't that crucial. Sincerely though thanks for the insight.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Hardly have time to correct every spelling error. However, as for you not being condescending, that is a matter of perception. Wasn't sure where you were coming from, so I atleast tried to thank you for the insight. Anyway my point is [/B]moot considering we're debating over words on a Spurs forum. Honestly it isn't that crucial. Sincerely though thanks for the insight.

No problem, happy to help, and sorry I called you an ass.

I hope the Maggette discussions aren't a moot point, but you might be right. It just seems that his latest outburst and his open discussion about trade possibilities increase the odds, IMO.

BALLZ & MY WORD
02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
No problem, happy to help, and sorry I called you an ass.

I hope the Maggette discussions aren't a moot point, but you might be right. It just seems that his latest outburst and his open discussion about trade possibilities increase the odds, IMO.

Hopefully it will open up the door of possibility. His apparent discontent is not doing much for the Clippers leverage in negotiations. I'd like to see him in the Silver & Black, with that said our more than content FO has to make it happen.

Manuismyhomeboy
02-10-2007, 12:01 AM
I don't know if anyone else saw this, but Maggette had yet another DNP tonight against the Sixers.

T Park
02-10-2007, 12:06 AM
yeah hes gone

just a matter of who gets him.

If I were the Spurs id be busting my ass trying to get him

Kori Ellis
02-10-2007, 12:11 AM
I don't know if anyone else saw this, but Maggette had yet another DNP tonight against the Sixers.

I think reports said early today that he was sick.

Bruno
02-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Maggette flu seems legit because Cassell has too the flu. However you can wonder how badly he was ill : maybe he could have through the flu but he isn't that motivated.

johnpaulwall21
02-10-2007, 03:49 AM
why in da bloody hell are we still talkin bout this dude? Its over we wont get him before the deadline. damn

Bruno
02-10-2007, 04:57 AM
why in da bloody hell are we still talkin bout this dude?

If you don't want to talk about Maggette, just don't click on the Maggette thread.

Its over we wont get him before the deadline. damn

Who should I believe you or Maggette who has said two days ago that "the Spurs are still a possibility" ?