PDA

View Full Version : Knock Knock,.........anybody home?

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 02:08 PM
I've read a lot of the threads on this forum and the majority of the posters believe that the regular season is nothing and the spurs will turn it up in the Playoffs. My question, What makes you think this team will be able to turn it up in the playoffs?

I'm not trying to bash the spurs because as a Lakers Fan we have respect for that organization and their accomplishments in the league. I have my worries about the Lakers as well, will they have enough experience in the playoffs to win it all? The Spurs, imo are not the team of the past that can turn it up a notch in the playoffs. These are not the Spurs of yesteryear. They really only have Horry and Finley on your bench that I would think could turn up their games but they are past their primes now and probably wont do much. Parker has never impressed me as a prime time player in the playoffs. Gino had one good run in the playoffs, and Duncan is definitely on the decline. I just don't see it at this point with the team that you have now. Please enlighten me. :fro

PM5K
01-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Please reference threads where the majority of our posters think we can "Turn It Up In The Playoffs"....

Extra Stout
01-18-2007, 02:20 PM
I've read a lot of the threads on this forum and the majority of the posters believe that the regular season is nothing and the spurs will turn it up in the Playoffs. My question, What makes you think this team will be able to turn it up in the playoffs?
You should restrict your reading to threads from this season.

Solid D
01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Knock Knock,.........anybody home?

Why even ask? This is one of the busiest sports forums out there...and this isn't even with our international night shift folks.
....................................http://www.mtiweb.com/isp/images/icons/arrows/anim_arrow.gif

231 (100 members & 131 guests)

Solid D, FirebatMIV, SoCal Lakeshow, Burn531, TimFan, spyder, ICE3000, ShoogarBear, Kori Ellis, Medvedenko, Lp26, telecomguy, kris, texbumTHElife, rmt, PHAT TONY, Budkin, VaSpursFan, mardigan, Despot, mermaid time, polandprzem, Elektric_HED, ManuTastic, KB24, johngateswhiteley, GayForManu, sprrs, cornbread, tsb2000, tomati 9, VIVA_LAS_ESPUELAS, Aggie Hoopsfan, hero03msu, Mr. Body, SC Trojan, duncanchick21, bdictjames, Maddog, MoSpur, bluestar28, leemajors, kidclutch20, 01Snake, greywheel, JPB, FvckMavs, shyne, Ronaldo McDonald, CosmicCowboy, gospursgooo, 101A, #1elliottfan, zwbgr, spurtime, Streakyshooter08, N4th4n, wildbill2u, SA210, JsnSA, Slomo, nkdlunch, lordswing, Big P, boutons_, rAn, abelle23, SenorSpur, V-Murder, Lakeshow1, dknights411, rayray2k8, FreshPrince22, George Gervin's Afro, fred33, ducks, spursfaninla, Lady M, mrose31, pad300, The Truth #6, Felonius Monk, ttdog, celldweller, Winnipeg_Spur, spurschick, TwoHandJam, MI21, SilverStyle, adrienne, TMTTRIO, 14dave, MarCowMar, Rogbok, Slinkyman, AZLouis, ctpsb, picnroll, lebomb, Frank Brickowski

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Eh. It'd be the same think Laker fans were saying back in 2003, before the Spurs bombed them out of the playoffs. "We can flip the switch anytime." It seems to be the fall-back position of dynasties in decline although, I can say, I don't see much of that philosophy around here.

Budkin
01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Excellent point!

Do you ever post your own thoughts or just troll leech onto Spur bashing threads? Oh wait I just answered my own question.

polandprzem
01-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Well almost 9pm in here

time to go to sleep :)

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Please reference threads where the majority of our posters think we can "Turn It Up In The Playoffs"....

I dont really want to go thru all the threads but it has been several who say that, this is january, titles are not won in january, etc..etc.. I've read alot of posts stating that.

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Eh. It'd be the same think Laker fans were saying back in 2003, before the Spurs bombed them out of the playoffs. "We can flip the switch anytime." It seems to be the fall-back position of dynasties in decline although, I can say, I don't see much of that philosophy around here.

The lakers were defending back to back to back champions at the time. There was a reason to think that they would turn it up after doing it for 3 years straight. The spurs were not the Champions last season and were pushed by the 8th seed in the first round, and lost in the 2nd round. Big difference.

PM5K
01-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I dont really want to go thru all the threads but it has been several who say that, this is january, titles are not won in january, etc..etc.. I've read alot of posts stating that.

Well that is true, titles aren't won in January, and that's not even the same as what you said in your original posting....

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Well that is true, titles aren't won in January, and that's not even the same as what you said in your original posting....

But the implications are that the spurs can turn on the switch come playoff time.

KB24
01-18-2007, 03:05 PM

DYNASTY???????????????????????????????

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

PM5K
01-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't say we were pushed in the first round, we beat them 4-2 and by an average margin of ninteen points.

Also understand that the Kings were one of, if not the best second half teams last season after they traded for Ron Artest, and we lost to a good team when we played Dallas in the second round (which shouldn't have even happened)...

SoCal Lakeshow
01-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Unless your name is Shaq Diesel or MJ, maybe Kobe then you can't turn it on for the playoffs and January does matter.

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't say we were pushed in the first round, we beat them 4-2 and by an average margin of ninteen points.

Also understand that the Kings were one of, if not the best second half teams last season after they traded for Ron Artest, and we lost to a good team when we played Dallas in the second round (which shouldn't have even happened)...

Artest being suspended hurt the kings in that series, not saying they would have won anyway but it was a factor. You did lose to a Good dallas team but your team has changed a lot. imo

PM5K
01-18-2007, 03:11 PM
But the implications are that the spurs can turn on the switch come playoff time.

I think the implication is not to panic, plenty of Championship teams have played much worse than we have now, including our own Championship teams in the past.

This team certainly can win a Championship, but I think the larger sentiment here is that we need a trade to give us the extra edge we'll need to beat the elite teams in this league...

And some of the other things you've said in your OP were stupid as well, Tim Duncan is still Tim Duncan, whose numbers are still pretty much in line with his career numbers.

Tony Parker has been one of if not the most consistent Spur over the past year, including the Playoffs where he averaged over twenty points per game against Dallas...

SoCal Lakeshow
01-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Artest being suspended hurt the kings in that series, not saying they would have won anyway but it was a factor. You did lose to a Good dallas team but your team has changed a lot. imo
Yeah forcing Duncan to play C this year is what really hurt the Spurs.

PM5K
01-18-2007, 03:13 PM

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I think the implication is not to panic, plenty of Championship teams have played much worse than we have now, including our own Championship teams in the past.

This team certainly can win a Championship, but I think the larger sentiment here is that we need a trade to give us the extra edge we'll need to beat the elite teams in this league...

And some of the other things you've said in your OP were stupid as well, Tim Duncan is still Tim Duncan, whose numbers are still pretty much in line with his career numbers.

Tony Parker has been one of if not the most consistent Spur over the past year, including the Playoffs where he averaged over twenty points per game against Dallas...

Now that's what I'm talking about. It is idiotic to think that Duncan is the same. He's being posterized every night. No one respects his low post defense anymore. He can not defend the paint effectively any more.

PM5K
01-18-2007, 03:17 PM
This is Tim Duncan's line from game seven of last years Playoffs:

41 Pts / 15 Rbs / 3 Blk / 6 Assts

That loss wasn't on Tim at all, or Tony, or Manu, it was on every other player that didn't show up besides our big three.

You really think that much has changed since the end of last season?

Mr. Body
01-18-2007, 03:19 PM

That loss wasn't on Tim at all, or Tony, or Manu, it was on every other player that didn't show up besides our big three.

Yes. The supporting cast is significantly weaker. The dropoff on an aging player is fast. Wicked fast.

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:20 PM

That was last season against Dallas who at the time had no answer for duncan. This season Tim looks akward, can't jump, and a step slow. His game is definitely in decline.

PM5K
01-18-2007, 03:20 PM
That was last season against Dallas who at the time had no answer for duncan. This season Tim looks akward, can't jump, and a step slow. His game is definitely in decline.

No way, and his stats don't show that at all.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Yes. They should have gotten him some help.

PM5K
01-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Yes. They should have gotten him some help.

Nope, again the stats don't show it at all, and neither does his play on the floor.

They should have gotten him more help though, when you score forty one points and grab fifteen boards and still loose it's obvious where the problem lies, and it's obvious where it doesn't...

SoCal Lakeshow
01-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Trade Duncan for KG :clap :clap

SoCal Lakeshow
01-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Nope, again the stats don't show it at all, and neither does his play on the floor.

They should have gotten him more help though, when you score forty one points and grab fifteen boards and still loose it's obvious where the problem lies, and it's obvious where it doesn't...
They are asking him to do to much. Score forty points and play all your post defense?? :wtf

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:25 PM
No way, and his stats don't show that at all.\

I can't believe you're serious. True his numbers are okay, but his overall game is not. No way! Also the spurs always had a center to help Duncan and in the past he was more of a help defender, now he is the last line of defense for the spurs and he's failing miserably.

PM5K
01-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Also the spurs always had a center to help Duncan and in the past he was more of a help defender, now he is the last line of defense for the spurs and he's failing miserably.

That's probably pretty accurate, but that wasn't your argument in your original post, which is still wrong...

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:34 PM
That's probably pretty accurate, but that wasn't your argument in your original post, which is still wrong...

Well it wasn't really an argument. I can clearly see that Duncans game has declined. I was kind of curious why some of you do not see the same.

polandprzem
01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Everybody is in decline

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Everybody is in decline

Not everybody, just some of those who have been in the league for along time and playing in the post will wear you out quicker than those who do not play the post.

wildbill2u
01-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Good teams do ratchet their play up in the playoffs because each game really means something.

But all teams do it, so the question is whether the Spurs can ratchet their team play up to a higher level better than Phoenix or Dallas for instance.

So far we haven't seen much team interest in playing better against elite teams during the regular season. And Pop still seems to be unsure of what he has to work with this year.

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Good teams do ratchet their play up in the playoffs because each game really means something.

But all teams do it, so the question is whether the Spurs can ratchet their team play up to a higher level better than Phoenix or Dallas for instance.

So far we haven't seen much team interest in playing better against elite teams during the regular season. And Pop still seems to be unsure of what he has to work with this year.

Good point. Pop seems lost in todays NBA. The spurs just don't seem like a team equipped to raise it up a notch in the playoffs. IMO

MajorMike
01-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Wow, you sit someone out from the playoffs then let them blow a seemingly wrapped up series their next time in, and the fans come back with a vengence.

polandprzem
01-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Not everybody, just some of those who have been in the league for along time and playing in the post will wear you out quicker than those who do not play the post.

I was talking about the forum :wakeup

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:55 PM
I was talking about the forum :wakeup

:oops my bad

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Wow, you sit someone out from the playoffs then let them blow a seemingly wrapped up series their next time in, and the fans come back with a vengence.

You don't keep the Lakers down long, our history says as much. We're Back after a short fall from grace. :fro

polandprzem
01-18-2007, 03:58 PM
:oops my bad

Our all bad :drunk

Good nighty to U all

peace

SoCal Lakeshow
01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
:lol

I get it, but at first I thought you were talking about the Spurs.

GrandeDavid
01-18-2007, 04:04 PM

Historically speaking, more specifically during the Tim Duncan era, the Spurs have annually added a couple of new role players to the mix and the entire team has needed until March or so to really come together and start winning. I don't see this season as any different. I think the Spurs are not a flip switching team come playoff time, but they clearly gather momentum after the All Star break, historically speaking. Lately its been the infamous "rodeo road trip" which has righted the ship. However, this year's edition promises to be particularly brutal.

Once the Spurs get to the playoffs, their defensive instincts, ability to play possession ball and run, either or, plus their rich experience among their key players, all translates into playoff ballers. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I am certain that come playoff time the Spurs will be capable of beating any team in a series.

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Historically speaking, more specifically during the Tim Duncan era, the Spurs have annually added a couple of new role players to the mix and the entire team has needed until March or so to really come together and start winning. I don't see this season as any different. I think the Spurs are not a flip switching team come playoff time, but they clearly gather momentum after the All Star break, historically speaking. Lately its been the infamous "rodeo road trip" which has righted the ship. However, this year's edition promises to be particularly brutal.

Once the Spurs get to the playoffs, their defensive instincts, ability to play possession ball and run, either or, plus their rich experience among their key players, all translates into playoff ballers. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I am certain that come playoff time the Spurs will be capable of beating any team in a series.

Point taken! The only thing I would say is that the spurs always played well in the regular season too. What have they lost? 7 games at home? They lost seven games all of last season at home. This team just seems different to me from previous spurs teams.

GrandeDavid
01-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Point taken! The only thing I would say is that the spurs always played well in the regular season too. What have they lost? 7 games at home? They lost seven games all of last season at home. This team just seems different to me from previous spurs teams.

IŽll be honest with you. I'm disappointed with the Spurs' seemingly lethargic, take-it-for-granted play at home this season. Pretty pathetic. Then again, they've lost some tight ones. They've had a couple of injuries, like most teams, but a main culprit is just the terrible shooting of Mike Finley, Brent Barry lately and Robert Horry. Plus it seems like Parker, Ginobili and Duncan are rarely in sync, together, on an almost nightly basis. I think that time will straighten them out, but I must admit I have my concerns. Obviously age and wear and tear are among the big worries I have. All in all, I'm hoping that the Spurs can muster a deep run this season then somehow bring in an athletic perimeter player, a strong backup power forward and maybe see James White of my alma mater Cincinnati develop and earn a roster spot.

GrandeDavid
01-18-2007, 04:16 PM
The Lakers have earned my respect this season. Well, they've never lost it, especially Kobe Bryant hasn't. The Lakers are looking damn good. Damn good and you know they're back for several years as long as Kobe and Phil are around.

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 04:35 PM
The Lakers have earned my respect this season. Well, they've never lost it, especially Kobe Bryant hasn't. The Lakers are looking damn good. Damn good and you know they're back for several years as long as Kobe and Phil are around.

thanks, I do believe Phil is going to resign for a few more years. We know we have a young team but we are very satisfied with our team. We couldn't image that the lakers would be so good so soon. No one is talking about getting KG anymore either, most that I talk to would rather keep bynum, me included.

Extra Stout
01-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Tim Duncan probably does not play all-out every night like he did earlier in his career. He is content to let Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili do much of the heavy lifting.

He does raise his game in the playoffs. He will again.

The team as a whole does not show the energy and fire of past Spurs teams. Part of that is because the regular season does not mean a whole lot to them. They have had home-court advantage and lost in the second round. They have been the #2 seed, and cast aside the #1 seed in the WCF with little fanfare.

Given how much better they are on the road this year, HCA likely does not mean much to them. That said, their mediocrity at home, which ought to be their comfort zone, I think does speak to their complacency.

The danger in trying to "flip the switch" is that things like team cohesion are developed over an entire season, not a few weeks in April and May.

And while their lackadaisical attitude contributes to their underwhelming performance this year, the fact remains that aside from the Big 3, this team is composed of aging role players who are nearly totally spent, and marginal NBA talent which only looks competent because of the system. Their lack of athleticism, lack of rebounding, and unexceptional interior defense preclude their reaching an elite level. These are structural problems with the roster unrelated to their effort and focus night in and night out.

So perhaps their lackadaisical attitude stems in part because deep down they know they aren't truly good enough to win it all.

And perhaps the inattention to what have been obvious roster needs for a couple of years now betrays that team management no longer has that full commitment to winning. If leadership is not committed, then neither will the team be.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Tim Duncan's been on a decline for 4 years now. He'll hang two more championship banners and people will be saying he's on the decline.

pad300
01-18-2007, 05:13 PM

That's an interesting opinion - how many 40 year old post players have you seen recently, and how many 40 year old perimeter guys

Post Players - Kevin Willis, Karl Malone, Motumbo...

Perimeter Players - ???

Evidence suggests that post players last much longer than perimeter guys...

SoCal Lakeshow
01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
That's an interesting opinion - how many 40 year old post players have you seen recently, and how many 40 year old perimeter guys

Perimeter Players - ???

That's due to the fact that there arn't as many post players in general. There's always alot of good new perimeter players.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Tim Duncan's been on a decline for 4 years now. He'll hang two more championship banners and people will be saying he's on the decline.
Duncan is in decline. Please clean your Spurs homer glasses.

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Tim Duncan probably does not play all-out every night like he did earlier in his career. He is content to let Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili do much of the heavy lifting.

He does raise his game in the playoffs. He will again.

The team as a whole does not show the energy and fire of past Spurs teams. Part of that is because the regular season does not mean a whole lot to them. They have had home-court advantage and lost in the second round. They have been the #2 seed, and cast aside the #1 seed in the WCF with little fanfare.

Given how much better they are on the road this year, HCA likely does not mean much to them. That said, their mediocrity at home, which ought to be their comfort zone, I think does speak to their complacency.

The danger in trying to "flip the switch" is that things like team cohesion are developed over an entire season, not a few weeks in April and May.

And while their lackadaisical attitude contributes to their underwhelming performance this year, the fact remains that aside from the Big 3, this team is composed of aging role players who are nearly totally spent, and marginal NBA talent which only looks competent because of the system. Their lack of athleticism, lack of rebounding, and unexceptional interior defense preclude their reaching an elite level. These are structural problems with the roster unrelated to their effort and focus night in and night out.

So perhaps their lackadaisical attitude stems in part because deep down they know they aren't truly good enough to win it all.

And perhaps the inattention to what have been obvious roster needs for a couple of years now betrays that team management no longer has that full commitment to winning. If leadership is not committed, then neither will the team be.

Good post. Do you guys think that maybe the game changing has anything to do with the spurs this season? I think one of the reasons the Lakers are doing well is because the Lakers have adapted to the New NBA.

LakeShow
01-18-2007, 05:46 PM

Perimeter Players - ???

How effective were those players after playing 10 years in the league? (Not counting Malone who was different) Kevin willis? Mutumbo is playing well now and never was much of a scorer. I'm talking about able to lead their teams to title. Sure those guys hung around because they were big but none of those players could lead their team to a title which is something that the Spurs are hoping Tim Duncan can do because he's done it in the past. Tim Duncan can still be effective, even though he has declined (imo) but can he lead you to a title at this stage I don't think so.