01-18-2007, 05:27 PM
On now ticket760.com

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks Solid. I forgot about it.

What did I miss so far?

1Parker1
01-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Please tell me either he's quitting and we're getting Pat Riley to replace him.......or that he's trading away Finley +Barry +Udrich + Horry for someone useful. :angel

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Please tell me either he's quitting and we're getting Pat Riley to replace him.......or that he's trading away Finley +Barry +Udrich + Horry for someone useful. :angel

:lol @ Pat Riley

MoSpur
01-18-2007, 05:47 PM
He stated that the Pacers/Warriors 8 player deal had no affect on anything they were looking at. CIA

ShoogarBear
01-18-2007, 05:49 PM
He going to put a big something wrapped up in the middle of the floor of the Spurs locker room.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 05:49 PM
He said about Beno, "We are disappointed. He is disappointed in his play."

Then he said how they expected him to grasp the position this year, but it hasn't happened. And that's been a disappointment.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 05:52 PM
He is now talking about turnovers in the 4th quarter (not just Tony's). He mentioned that 15 of the 19 turnovers last night were by Tim, Tony, and Manu. He said that's something they have to focus on.

Spurologist
01-18-2007, 05:52 PM
He going to put a big something wrapped up in the middle of the floor of the Spurs locker room.

:lmao

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 05:54 PM
A caller asked about Kobe clearing out with his off arm.

Pop said that Kobe probably wasn't clearing out as much as fans think. It's just that fans are bias because they love the Spurs so much.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Regarding the 4 guys on the floor situation .. he said he made one substitution Tim for Fab and for some reason Bruce thought he was subbed out too. But that no one on the whole coaching staff, team or anybody noticed for some reason.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Now if someone can fill me in on the first half, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

BigVee
01-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Just like the team this year. Where's Solid D when you need it?

td4mvp21
01-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Same answers from Pop all the time, it seems. I didn't listen but I don't really see anything new from what people summarize. That's disappointing in itself.

itzsoweezee
01-18-2007, 06:03 PM
so did he say the spurs were going to make ANY adjustments?

timvp
01-18-2007, 06:03 PM
He said about Beno, "We are disappointed. He is disappointed in his play."

Then he said how they expected him to grasp the position this year, but it hasn't happened. And that's been a disappointment.

What has become clearer this year is that Beno has an amazingly low basketball IQ. We are talking Nazr level.

Beno has great natural skill, but he rarely knows how to manage clock or what is expected of him on either side of the court. It would help if he'd study the game more and concentrate more when he's on the court, but I haven't seen any signs that he's willing to do either of those things.

nkdlunch
01-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Is Pop show a weekly show? it seems he's been repeating the same shit all year. Fucking Pop has lost it

BigVee
01-18-2007, 06:06 PM
I agree. He has skills but no feel for the game. It is obvious that he has been told to shoot and by God he is going to....first screen he gets regardless of the shot clock the game situation whatever, up goes the brick.

Budkin
01-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Did he say this again?

"We addressed our needs over the summer and I'm happy with the players that we have."

timvp
01-18-2007, 06:10 PM
As long as Pop didn't pull out the "We Just Didn't Knock Down Shots" line, I won't go AHF.

itzsoweezee
01-18-2007, 06:11 PM
it's obvious that beno sucks. it's also equally obvious that parker is a far superior player. so why are some of parker's minutes being given to beno, or vaughn, or whoever? why isn't parker playing 40 minutes a game?

objective
01-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Pop also made it clear that he won't play Butler or White no matter what, and seemed to have Williams in that bunch to from the way the question was phrased.

Basically he said the Spurs were going to stick with Steve Smi--errr, stick with the solid core of players they've assembled.

td4mvp21
01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Pop also made it clear that he won't play Butler or White no matter what, and seemed to have Williams in that bunch to from the way the question was phrased.

Basically he said the Spurs were going to stick with Steve Smi--errr, stick with the solid core of players they've assembled.

Why he won't play Williams pisses me off. Every time that guy has gotten minutes, he's actually made shots and played good defense. Oh wait, that's why Pop isn't playing him! :lol But really, I know he's old and all, however he can actually contribute imo.

BigVee
01-18-2007, 06:17 PM
it's obvious that beno sucks. it's also equally obvious that parker is a far superior player. so why are some of parker's minutes being given to beno, or vaughn, or whoever? why isn't parker playing 40 minutes a game?

Because Pop is resigned to the fact that this team will not catch Dallas or Pho...so why not monitor minutes rather than try to win every reg season game?

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Did he say this again?

"We addressed our needs over the summer and I'm happy with the players that we have."

No. :lol

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
so did he say the spurs were going to make ANY adjustments?

They apparently talked about it in the first half of the show, which I missed. I'm waiting for someone else to fill in that part.

Solid D
01-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Sorry, I had an important phone call and couldn't comment earlier. The first part of the show went sort of like this:

Don Harris asked: Is this recent slide due to what the Spurs are not doing or more about what teams like Dallas and PHX ARE doing?

Pop said, 1st of all, credit to Dallas and PHX and others. From the Spurs perspective, the stars aren't playing very well, the bench isn't playing very well. Not playing defense very well. Not shooting very well. Lots of things. Our focus is not whether we are winning or losing. It's about whether we are getting better every day. Struggling right now.

PHX, Dallas, Houston bring a lot of fuel. They have a lot to bring. It's hard for us to bring (the intensity) all the time. (I didn't take this to mean an excuse...just a statement of the current state of the Spurs). We've really got our work cut out for us.

Bruno
01-18-2007, 06:27 PM
The podcast is available :
http://www.ticket760.com/cc-common/podcast.html

johngateswhiteley
01-18-2007, 06:34 PM
...i never understood the interest of the Pop Show?

1. nothing important is ever discussed
2. Pop isn't going to clue fans in on what his plans are, nor should he

Solid D
01-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Let's see, Pop also said their problem with intensity is a mental thing. The last 6 minutes of the game last night he thought they showed good intensity.

Someone asked if there is one person that the team relies on to stir them up and spur them on (i.e. Magic Johnson did that) Pop said this team doesn't have one guy that is really vocal except maybe Robert Horry. It's not about one player like Manu turning it up but everyone needs to contribute to increasing the intensity (or something to that effect). At some point this season they need to figure out how to bring the necessary intensity.

Pop was asked about the bench play. Asked about Beno. Pop said it would be disingenuous to say that Beno has played really well. They had hoped the backup PG would be a strength for them but that hasn't been the case. We're not satisfied or pleased with what Beno has brought to bear so far and he isn't either. Don asked about the other bench players, if he was disappointed in their production also. Pop said to a lesser degree but yes. The injuries to Francisco and now to Matt really hurt them because they were starting to get their rotations down on the front line and now they have had to do some different things/combinations. They have had to go "small" more since they went down and they haven't had to go with a small lineup this season prior to the injuries.

That's all for now.

SequSpur
01-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Intensity has nothing to do with fucking skill level. The Spurs just fucking blow.

Jobbs
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm not giving up on the Spurs yet. They've been in the Finals 3 out of the last 7 years. I'm just thinking they don't want to play hard until the playoffs like Tim did last year.

Oh yeah, let Fab start over Horry. Horry plays better off the bench.

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Pop started with - "we just didn't knock down shots"

2centsworth
01-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Beno has great natural skill

I'm with you all the way on Beno except for that. I have yet to see the great natural skill. Does he jump really high, contort his body to get shots off, dribble fast up and down the court, is he stronger than average, does he have great vision, or does he have a great shot?

The guy looks slow and untalented, but I have yet to see him in practice.

1Parker1
01-18-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm not giving up on the Spurs yet. They've been in the Finals 3 out of the last 7 years. I'm just thinking they don't want to play hard until the playoffs like Tim did last year.

It's not even a fact about playing hard. They've already lost 3 straight and now 2 straight and are 6-7 in their last 15 games and have a losing record against the top teams in the league. I can understand that they won't "play hard" every night (although it seems like other teams like the Suns, Mavs, Lakers can), but I do expect them to play hard in big games which they haven't been.

Spurs have several glaring weaknesses which began to be uncovered last season in the Mavs series. Problem is over the past few years, teams like the Mavs, Heat, Suns, Bulls, etc. have been working hard to become competitive and the Spurs have not adjusted their roster accordingly.

wildbill2u
01-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Pop started with - "we just didn't knock down shots"
Actually, if you look at the box stats, the big three hit a good respectable percentage. Manu probably didn't get enough shots. Barry had a good night both in % and in contribution (13 points in 19 minutes.)

Bowen was 2 of 9 and obviously had his head elsewhere. Beno was 0-4. Finley sucked. That was about it.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-18-2007, 08:04 PM
:lol @ Pat Riley

???

Riley got the Heat to beat the Mavs down 0-2, yet you laugh at him as a coach :lol

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 08:13 PM
???

Riley got the Heat to beat the Mavs down 0-2, yet you laugh at him as a coach :lol

No. I laughed at the idea of the Spurs firing Pop and hiring him.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-18-2007, 08:15 PM

my bad :smokin

Russ
01-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Did he remind people that the Spurs currently have the 3rd best record in a 30 team league?

timvp
01-18-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm with you all the way on Beno except for that. I have yet to see the great natural skill. Does he jump really high, contort his body to get shots off, dribble fast up and down the court, is he stronger than average, does he have great vision, or does he have a great shot?

Most of those attributes you listed would fall under great athleticism. Beno in the past when he was playing well had an innate ability to make the right pass with great timing and had a lethal midrange jumper off the jumper. Those two traits can't really be learned ... you are either born with that basketball ability or you're not.

What is hurting him right now is he's in bad physical shape and his basketball IQ is off the charts low for an NBA point guard. If he'd dedicate himself in getting into good shape and also dedicate himself to learning all the nuances of the point guard position, he could turn his career around.

I would have more hope if I ever have heard about him going early to practice or staying late after practice. He's actually known as the last one to get to practice and the first one to leave. Not good.

1Parker1
01-18-2007, 08:29 PM

Plus I was kidding.....well kind of. :p:

Russ
01-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Our focus is not whether we are winning or losing. It's about whether we are getting better every day.

Phil Jackson could have said that. :)

A caller asked about Kobe clearing out with his off arm.

Pop said that Kobe probably wasn't clearing out as much as fans think.

PJ probably doesn't say that -- especially after a loss. :spin

Russ
01-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Beno in the past when he was playing well had an innate ability to make the right pass with great timing and had a lethal midrange jumper off the jumper. Those two traits can't really be learned ... you are either born with that basketball ability or you're not.

Beno always struck me as a functional point guard on a top tier Euro team. No more, no less. He was always solid but without much upside. With all due respect timvp, why make him into some tragic waste of talent -- that doesn't seem fair to him or anyone else.

timvp
01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Beno always struck me as a functional point guard on a top tier Euro team. No more, no less. He was always solid but without much upside. With all due respect timvp, why make him into some tragic waste of talent -- that doesn't seem fair to him or anyone else.

Beno is damn talented, whether you want to believe me or not. He's not a John Crotty just-don't-mess-up type of player. At one point in time, he was the most talented young player in Europe. He even torched Tony Parker when they played against each other. We're talking 35 points, 10 assists while shutting TP down.

But if he doesn't want to put in the work, that talent is never going to show.

ploto
01-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Most of those attributes you listed would fall under great athleticism. Beno in the past when he was playing well had an innate ability to make the right pass with great timing and had a lethal midrange jumper off the jumper. Those two traits can't really be learned ... you are either born with that basketball ability or you're not.

I would have more hope if I ever have heard about him going early to practice or staying late after practice. He's actually known as the last one to get to practice and the first one to leave. Not good.
Beno's timing is what impressed me when he first came to the Spurs. I liked the rhythm of the way he played, so to speak. That's gone, unfortunately. He also used to stay after practice, or even go back for a second time later in the day, during his rookie year. That unfortunately seems to be gone, too.

I am not sure why it is that he really seems to be so unclear as to what Pop wants him to do during the game. It does make you wonder why a young player would get progressively worse. When he first came, he seemed to be playing more on his natural instincts, but they are gone. Pop used to get on Hedo and Rasho and Brent because he wanted them to shoot more and not pass up shots. I guess Beno thinks he is supposed to shoot. He is such a great passer. He should just focus on setting guys up more and wait for the shots to come. Somehow, it's not being communicated or understood.

Now, for the comment to get bashed for. I said some time ago that Beno just isn't a player who would respond to the whole mind games, dog house, calling out in the media, etc... routine of Pop's. While not an excuse, I don't think it's helped much.

Russ
01-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Beno is damn talented, whether you want to believe me or not. He's not a John Crotty just-don't-mess-up type of player. At one point in time, he was the most talented young player in Europe. He even torched Tony Parker when they played against each other. We're talking 35 points, 10 assists while shutting TP down.

Well, I hope you're right. But the impression I got was that the Spurs wanted to draft a young point guard whom they could count on for years but who, at the same time, understood that he would be behind TP his entire career, and accept it (unlike Speedy Claxton).

The problem now is not that he hasn't exploded onto the scene -- it's that he can't get the ball past the ten second line when he's closely guarded.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I said some time ago that Beno just isn't a player who would respond to the whole mind games, dog house, calling out in the media, etc... routine of Pop's. While not an excuse, I don't think it's helped much.

What do you think would motivate him? He's hard for me to figure out. I don't know if he didn't expect he would have to work on his game in the NBA, if he was overconfident when he arrived in the league or what. Do you remember that interview at Rasho's house where they asked Beno about winning a title and he said something to the effect of that it wasn't that important to him, that his goal was to make the league and he did? Maybe he's already satisfied.

FromWayDowntown
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I am not sure why it is that he really seems to be so unclear as to what Pop wants him to do during the game. It does make you wonder why a young player would get progressively worse. When he first came, he seemed to be playing more on his natural instincts, but they are gone.

It makes me curious too, mostly because just the opposite has happened with Parker. Maybe it's just a case of two guys with very, very different personalities -- but Pop, I think, nurtured Parker (with a lot of tough love) into an All-Star caliber point guard. Tony was younger than Beno was when he entered the league, and maybe there's something to that. Tony was also given starter's minutes almost immediately and it might be that the carrot of being a starter on a championship caliber team was enough to give Parker the motivation to listen to Pop's rantings.

Whatever the case, it is clear that pretty much the opposite has occurred with Beno. Even if Pop wanted him to shoot, he seems to have absolutely no confidence and has regressed in that aspect of his game. I agree with timvp that Beno's decision-making is beyond ridiculous. The sequence at the end of the 2nd quarter of the Dallas game in January nearly made me jump out of the upper deck at the AT&T Center.

It might be that Beno is just a sensitive guy who struggles with criticism and gets down on himself, deflating his own confidence in that process. If that's the case, that trait isn't usually one you find in an NBA player -- particularly a point guard -- and I don't know that anything will ever change this situation. Maybe Game 4 of the 2005 Finals changed Beno forever; maybe the decision to sign Nick Van Exel last year has forever stunted Beno's growth. Such possibilities are more discouraging to me than anything else. I have hoped that Beno would experience some great success by having a great shooting night or suddenly grasping some concept that allowed him to flourish, but I don't think that's ever going to happen -- at least not in SA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Did he remind people that the Spurs currently have the 3rd best record in a 30 team league?

Did anyone remind him that third place is good for exactly jack shit?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2007, 09:13 PM
third best record? no no, you are looking at the standings from a few days ago, they are fifth best and sliding

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 09:15 PM
third best record? no no, you are looking at the standings from a few days ago, they are fifth best and sliding

No, currently they have the 3rd best record.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2007&group=league&column=winPercent&order=false&seasontype=2

remingtonbo2001
01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Defense is our problem, scoring 90 plus should be enough, but it hasn't been of late.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2007, 09:20 PM
No, currently they have the 3rd best record.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2007&group=league&column=winPercent&order=false&seasontype=2

ahh, I was looking at it like this

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2007&group=league&seasontype=2

remingtonbo2001
01-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Whatever happened to our lockdown defense....I mean when we would hold opponents to under 80 on a consistant basis. I miss those days. Sad part it, even though it supposedly "bored spectators", it was much more entertaining. DO YOU HEAR THAT DAVID STERN....I LIKE WATCHING BORING BASKETBALL.

FromWayDowntown
01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Defense is our problem, scoring 90 plus should be enough, but it hasn't been of late.

I don't disagree with that. And I think a big defensive problem for the Spurs right now is Tony Parker. Parker does some things well on the defensive end, but I think Parker is way to soft on screens; teams put him in pick and roll situations and are able to get the ball into the middle because Parker goes underneath the screen and the bigs aren't quick enough to stop the ball as it comes over the top. That necessitates a rotation on the baseline (which is there sometimes and not there sometimes) and behind the basketball. That's not when the Spurs are at their best defensively.

ShoogarBear
01-18-2007, 09:35 PM
What do you think would motivate him? Perhaps a nice assortment of gift accessories.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-18-2007, 09:42 PM

Until he moved to San Antonio and discovered what a burrito was

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Our defense sucks because of Pop's infatuation with small ball. With no second big man back there with Duncan to guard the paint, teams are just lifting their post players and going to the rack without fear of our 6'5" "power forwards" contesting their shots.

Pop bitches about defense, when in reality it's his shitty infatuation with small ball that is at the very heart of our defensive problems.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Our defense sucks because of Pop's infatuation with small ball. With no second big man back there with Duncan to guard the paint, teams are just lifting their post players and going to the rack without fear of our 6'5" "power forwards" contesting their shots.

Pop bitches about defense, when in reality it's his shitty infatuation with small ball that is at the very heart of our defensive problems.

He's been going small a whole lot more with Elson out because of a lack of personnel, I assume.

I'll be interested to see if when Elson returns, we still see long stretches of small ball.

Not that Elson is any good on D at all, but hey - he could "out tall" some players.

remingtonbo2001
01-18-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't disagree with that. And I think a big defensive problem for the Spurs right now is Tony Parker. Parker does some things well on the defensive end, but I think Parker is way to soft on screens; teams put him in pick and roll situations and are able to get the ball into the middle because Parker goes underneath the screen and the bigs aren't quick enough to stop the ball as it comes over the top. That necessitates a rotation on the baseline (which is there sometimes and not there sometimes) and behind the basketball. That's not when the Spurs are at their best defensively.

The Spurs have been a truely unique team, which may be the appeal, or lack of appeal. We're a half-court team that thrives on transition defense. In order for our offense to be truely effective, to get the shots our shooters need, our defense must be top notch. It isn't right now, but the issues seem to be minor, more or less, motivation. If this is a true dynasty, then you will see that switch flip around late Feburary. Flipping the switch isn't the most accurate description, but seems to provide the easiest explination. This is taking into account the injuries to Elson and Bonner. Unfortunately, due to the hole we've dug, it may be difficult to climb back to full HCA in the WC. Now, that being said, we have a real good track record digging ourselves outta holes, which is why I'm particularly optimistic. Whether it be a game, or an entire season, when we're down early, we find a way to fight back late. I'm not sure why. Maybe our guys get a thrill outta it. I'm not a professional basketball player, so I really can't comment.

timvp
01-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Maybe Game 4 of the 2005 Finals changed Beno forever; maybe the decision to sign Nick Van Exel last year has forever stunted Beno's growth.

I think the Pistons figured out that if you pressure Beno, he wilts. And since then, you'll notice that any halfway decent coach orders their point guard to pressure Beno the moment he steps foot on the court.

I think the Nick Van Exel angle is overblown. Even when Van Exel signed, the Spurs gave Beno every chance they could to win the job. Spurs fans forget, but it was Beno who was the backup at the beginning of last year. And again in March, Pop went back to Beno. But both times, Beno either played bad or got hurt ... giving the coaches little choice but to go with NVE. NVE was doing everything he could to play, while Beno was missing ten days with a cold.

And right now if the rotting carcus of NVE was still on this team, he'd be the backup point guard ... even knowing how bad he got exposed against the Mavs in the playoffs last year.

Bottomline with Beno is the NBA adjusted to his game and Beno hasn't yet put in the effort to improve.

aaronstampler
01-18-2007, 09:55 PM
IMHO, Beno really wants to be traded. I think his problem is that he's lost all motivation to play well here because he knows no matter how well he plays, he'll be at the most a 16 mpg guy behind Tony who's only 24 and going nowhere. Some guys play better when they want to be shipped, Beno's playing worse. He doesn't look very happy to be here.

His problem is he's too talented to be a backup and he knows it, but not nearly talented enough to start for a championship level team. He can start for like maybe three or four teams in the league and that's it. I think he's conflicted about being a scrub in the NBA when he could be a star in Europe, kinda like how Pepe Sanchez was. Sanchez went back to Europe and maybe Beno should too.

That reminds me, I think Pepe would be the perfect backup point for us, but he makes too much money in Europe to want to come back I think.

timvp
01-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Until he moved to San Antonio and discovered what a burrito was

From someone in the know, Beno bought a house in San Antonio "because he loves the breakfast tacos and the latinas".

That explains a lot.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2007, 09:59 PM
IMHO, Beno really wants to be traded. I think his problem is that he's lost all motivation to play well here because he knows no matter how well he plays, he'll be at the most a 16 mpg guy behind Tony who's only 24 and going nowhere. Some guys play better when they want to be shipped, Beno's playing worse. He doesn't look very happy to be here.

His problem is he's too talented to be a backup and he knows it, but not nearly talented enough to start for a championship level team. He can start for like maybe three or four teams in the league and that's it. I think he's conflicted about being a scrub in the NBA when he could be a star in Europe, kinda like how Pepe Sanchez was. Sanchez went back to Europe and maybe Beno should too.

That reminds me, I think Pepe would be the perfect backup point for us, but he makes too much money in Europe to want to come back I think.

Could Beno be a star in Europe? Wasn't he not good enough to play for Maccabi and didn't he only average like 8 and 2 in Euroleague?

remingtonbo2001
01-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Off topic....Is it just me.... OR does this just scream DIRK.... :dramaquee

Oh and look, HERE comes Dirk's BEST BUDDY Devin Harris.... :nutkick:

remingtonbo2001
01-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Could Beno be a star in Europe? Wasn't he not good enough to play for Maccabi and didn't he only average like 8 and 2 in Euroleague?

I would agree that Beno is very talented, and has shown so at various times. It would appear that Beno simply lacks consistancy. Now, what would cause this inconsistant play? Isn't that the question that needs to be addressed? He is a very talented guard, but this appears to be a confidence issue. Maybe instead of hiring CHIP ENGLAND, the Spurs should have hired a TEAM PSYCIATRIST :lol

tsb2000
01-18-2007, 10:19 PM

http://www.oakparkjournal.com/sports/2004-Bears8-21-2004-coach-lovie-smith-01sm.jpg

We are 27-13 with Beno as our backup PG....