View Full Version : Pacers' O'Neal may be dealt

carib
01-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Informed sources near the Indiana Pacers situation suggest that Jermaine O'Neal may be a lot closer to being dealt than even he will admit. A few weeks ago, O'Neal announced that if he could not get the Pacers turned around, maybe it was time for him to go.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Pacers-O-Neal-may-be-dealt;_ylt=AsVCTg1Y6Uf4yuhMqRY0s8W8vLYF?urn=nba,21 816

carib
01-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Spurs need to do all that they can to get in the mix of this deal

dg7md
01-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Trade anybody and everybody outside of Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili for him.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Beno+Barry ain't gettin' that one done, either.

1Parker1
01-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Spurs have no one to offer for him. Pacers would want Manu or Parker I am sure.

He was my pipe dream in the "Possible Trade Ideas" thread...:depressed

Streakyshooter08
01-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, now way getting him without giving up TP or Manu... no way... :depressed

carib
01-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I would give up any one but Manu and Tim, for O' Neal.

1Parker1
01-19-2007, 07:31 PM
I would give up any one but Manu and Tim, for O' Neal.

Interesting. And just who do you think will be the Spurs PG the rest of the season if Parker is traded for him?

Manu can only play 28-30 minutes per game. Also, he's not a point guard. He can handle the ball well in spurts and run the offense for a couple minutes at a time, but to move him permanately to PG spot?

Barry? Beno??

carib
01-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Point guards come and go in the league, but a good big man is hard to find, one that is athletic and aggressive that is.

bigzak25
01-19-2007, 07:42 PM
shit, manu just needs to be ready to be the point in the 4th.... bye bye pony tarker if that were on the table...

Manu_The _Best
01-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah, now way getting him without giving up TP or Manu... no way... :depressed

I would trade Tony Parker for JON in a second, no problem - Tony will GET LOST against the Mavericks - we need someone strong to play along side Timmy - and this is JON - the NEW TWIN TOWERS will win another 2 titles!!!

Streakyshooter08
01-19-2007, 08:10 PM
I would trade Tony Parker for JON in a second, no problem - Tony will GET LOST against the Mavericks - we need someone strong to play along side Timmy - and this is JON - the NEW TWIN TOWERS will win another 2 titles!!!

Okay, but who is your PG then?

SoCal Lakeshow
01-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Okay, but who is your PG then?
Steve Francis

AFBlue
01-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Point guards come and go in the league, but a good big man is hard to find, one that is athletic and aggressive that is.

Yeah, the Spurs already have one...his name is Tim Duncan!

It would be an UNBELIEVEABLE frontline tandem (best ever?)...but it's simply impossible.

SequSpur
01-19-2007, 09:06 PM
duncan oneal and parker would win every game for the next 4 years.

Pablo Escobar
01-19-2007, 09:08 PM
man that shit would be pimp

SequSpur
01-19-2007, 09:09 PM
odalay pablo

BillsCarnage
01-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey, i've mentioned on another board that the Suns need to dangle Marion at the Pacers.

smdanss
01-19-2007, 11:08 PM
TD, O'Neal, Manu and TP together will be the best team in next 3-4 seasons. But what can we offer to the trade? :dizzy :dizzy

ducks
01-19-2007, 11:10 PM
murphy is already a pacer
oneal is going to get dealt

bigfundamental21
01-19-2007, 11:20 PM
I hope the FO at least tries to swing a deal, but not one that weakens our team. We need our Big 3. It would be sweet to see TP, Manu, Tony, and O'neal play together. It's probably a long shot, but we need to take a chance.

ducks
01-19-2007, 11:24 PM
oneal with duncan would be incrediable
some do not like him becuase of his rebounding numbers
his d would increase and spurs can get him rebounding more
beno+manu+eric williams (expiring contract) and barry picks for him

smeagol
01-19-2007, 11:29 PM
beno+manu+eric williams (expiring contract) and barry picks for him
or

beno+tony+eric williams (expiring contract) and barry picks for him would be a nice trade too.

ducks
01-19-2007, 11:30 PM
who would run point?

smeagol
01-19-2007, 11:31 PM
who would run point?
With that frontcourt, it doesn't really matter

ducks
01-19-2007, 11:33 PM
you have to have someone to shot outside shots to give room for oneal and duncan to work
their starting point(if tp was traded can not hit a outside shot

ducks
01-19-2007, 11:36 PM
if you saw the spurs with aj it was hard for david tell aj finally got a little jumper
but that was somewhat reliable

ducks
01-19-2007, 11:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3120
2006-07 IND 34 35:42 7.2 15.9 45.6 0.0 0.1 0.0 4.7 6.3 74.4 2.3 8.2 10.4 2.9 2.8 0.7 3.1 3.3 19.2

oneal is averagin one more rebound a game this year then last

nice

td4mvp21
01-19-2007, 11:44 PM
How about Beno and a draft pick!!

Buddy Holly
01-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Three team trade:

Barry, Beno to Indy

Bowen, Williams, Bonner to Utah.

Jermaine to SA

AK47 to Indy

Spurs get O'Neal

Indy gets AK47 and shooters with short contracts.

Utah gets a defensive replacement for AK47 as well as two players with ending contracts.

Phil Hellmuth
01-19-2007, 11:48 PM
anyone realize, they both will be happy about their block position on offense. THey both have opposite likings on the block, it would be incredible to watch.

exstatic
01-19-2007, 11:55 PM
We have 3 SGs and 1.1 PGs. Tony ain't getting dealt. If they do the deal, it will be Manu. You Argies will just have to buy all new Pacer gear.

baseline bum
01-19-2007, 11:58 PM
I would never trade Shawn Marion for Jermaine O'Neal. That is insane. Yeah... he had a really bad WCF two years ago, but his freakish athleticism and ability to hit a jump-shot make him a lot more valuable in my eyes than O'Neal. I don't get the desire to move this guy for every disgruntled name in the NBA. Why the Suns fans want to move this guy for one-dimensional pretty-boys like Rashard Lewis? Why do they act like this guy is less valuable than Stoudemire, or Boris Diaw, or Tim Thomas? This is a guy who gives you 40 minutes a night, shoots 50%, grabs 10 boards for you, almost 20 points, and can heat up to an unguardable level at any time.

Jermaine O'Neal offers a better shot-blocking presence, but in every other way it's a loss or a draw in swapping Marion for him. Jermaine's not some dominant low-post scorer or something, and he's so overrated. The year he finished 3rd in MVP voting he shot freaking 43%! 43%!... Michael Olowokandi numbers!

Pablo Escobar
01-19-2007, 11:59 PM
again that shit would be pimp

texbound
01-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Spurs trade Manu, EWill, J. Butler to Indiana for J. O'neal

Spurs then trade Beno and Barry + pick to LAC for Corey Maggette and Daniel Ewing.

PG Parker, Vaughn, Ewing
SG Maggette, Finley
SF Bowen, Horry, Bonner
PF/C J. O'neal, Oberto
PF/C Duncan, Elson

1.) Pop and RC would be run out of town for trading Manu.
2.) The team chemistry would be shot to hell

But what the hell, let's just blow this thing wide open and start over.

Pablo Escobar
01-20-2007, 12:04 AM
^^ im down ^^

smeagol
01-20-2007, 12:05 AM
We have 3 SGs and 1.1 PGs. Tony ain't getting dealt. If they do the deal, it will be Manu. You Argies will just have to buy all new Pacer gear.
No other PGs out there that can be picked up?

Buddy Holly
01-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I'd trade Tony way way way before I'd trade Manu.

smeagol
01-20-2007, 12:12 AM
I'd trade Tony way way way before I'd trade Manu.
You must be an Argie then.

Manu_The _Best
01-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Steve Francis

I don't know whether St. Francis is the asnwer - the Spurs would need to acquire a PG (have to ckech who is available???? NOT MY JOB!) and use Brent Barry as a backup PG, who is a great passer...i am NOT Pop to judge, but I know Dallas WILL STOP Tony's penetrations anyway as they did last year, so there is NOT much use of Tony against them:

On the other hand Timmy-JON-Elson trio upfront will make the Spurs unbeatable team, plus you will have Manu and Barry helping - tooooo much to handle for anyone... :downspin: :downspin: :downspin:

Buddy Holly
01-20-2007, 12:29 AM
You must be an Argie then.

Nope, just smart.

supaphly119
01-20-2007, 12:35 AM
are they trying to get good players or expiring contracts and just go for the lottery and get oden?

Budkin
01-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Man there's gotta be a way we could get him without trading any of the big three... I don't know all the particulars of making trades work but I wonder if we could just offer more... maybe Barry, Beno, Finley, Horry and a first round pick? :smokin

Sacramental
01-20-2007, 12:53 AM
TP, Horry, Beno, Finley, barry, 1st round pick for JO and a scrub.

Buddy Holly
01-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Perfect deal would be:

JO'N to SA
Barnes to SA

Barry to GS
Williams to GS

Richardson, Bowen, Butler to Indy

New starting lineup:

Tony, Manu, Barnes, Duncan, O'Neal.

T Park
01-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Bowen Jackie Butler Brent Barry Eric Williams for Jermaine Oneal and Matt Barnes?

lol

We wish.

Kobulingam
01-20-2007, 01:12 AM
duncan oneal and parker would win every game for the next 4 years.

90%+ of them.

Kobulingam
01-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Oneal wouldn't want to be a Spur because of one reason: Duncan. He won't play second fiddle to another PF.

Buddy Holly
01-20-2007, 01:34 AM
Oneal wouldn't want to be a Spur because of one reason: Duncan. He won't play second fiddle to another PF.

So you're very personal with him. Otherwise, how would you know this to be true?

wildbill2u
01-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Guess which one is Duncan and which is O'neal this year

PPG 19.2
PPG 20.1
RPG 10.3
APG 3.3
SPG .75
BPG 2.05
FG% .548
FT% .619
3P% .000
MPG 34.3

RPG 10.4
APG 2.9
SPG .74
BPG 3.06
FG% .456
FT% .744
3P% .000
MPG 35.7

Buddy Holly
01-20-2007, 01:36 AM
If the Spurs wanted to trade for O'neal without losing one of the three, it'd have to be something like:

Bowen, Williams, Horry, Butler and Bonner for O'neal.

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 01:38 AM
If the Spurs wanted to trade for O'neal without losing one of the three, it'd have to be something like:

Bowen, Williams, Horry, Butler and Bonner for O'neal.

:lol

The Pacers don't have room on their roster for all those players.

If they trade O'Neal, they can get a much better deal than that.

Buddy Holly
01-20-2007, 01:41 AM
:lol

The Pacers don't have room on their roster for all those players.

If they trade O'Neal, they can get a much better deal than that.

I never said it was an actual deal, just the only way for it to work without using a big 3.

If we did, Tony/Barry for O'Neal works.

Would you trade Tony for O'Neal, would Indy take O'Neal for Tony?

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 01:43 AM
No, I would trade Tony for O'Neal and leave the Spurs point guard-less.

And I don't think the Spurs want a player that makes 19.7M next year, over 21M the next, etc.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2007, 02:02 AM
No, I would trade Tony for O'Neal and leave the Spurs point guard-less.

And I don't think the Spurs want a player that makes 19.7M next year, over 21M the next, etc.

I'd pay O'neal that in a heartbeat. He's worth it. Duncan and JON side-by-side would be like the 1999 team, only potentially better. We didn't have Manu or Parker then, and won it all. Course, we had the little general at point, and solid 3-point shooters.

I would at this point even trade Manu. Swingmen are plentiful these days in the NBA. We wouldn't need someone just as good as Manu to step in, we'd just need a player in the realm of his abilities. With the post presence, it wouldn't matter. We'd dominate boards every single game against any team in the league.

Even a lineup like Parker, Finley, Bowen, JON, Duncan would be hard pressed -not- to win a title. Think about that. Who would POSSIBLY present matchup problems with that line-up? We have a Dirk stopper in JON. The Suns -- well, we'd have defense AND offense, they'd only have offense, and we still have Bowen to shut down Marion (not that he would need to completely stuff him). Parker would still destroy Nash, so we'd have penetration ability and be able to force their defense to collapse.

No team in the LEAGUE would be able to guard us in the paint. Even with their bigs, the Mavs would be hopelessly outclassed. We'd have their big men in foul trouble from the 1st quarter of every game on. Not to mention how dominant JON could be with Duncan as a mentor.

Guys, I love Manu. He has more heart than almost anyone else in the NBA, and he's a great asset to this team. But at some point we are going to face the fact that we have matchup problems with the Mavs. Trading Manu away sucks, but wouldn't losing in the WCF suck more this year? I think so. Duncan is still in his prime. Make this deal happen, pick up a good swingman when free agency rolls around, and win 3 more titles with Parker/x/Bowen-whoever else we can get/JON/Duncan. Just two DECENT guards would be enough with that PG/PF/C combination.

Not to mention that, in order to acquire the SG/SFs we need, Pop could use a little something like this as an approach: "How would you like to play for (perhaps) the most dominant post tandem in NBA history?" He could then wax poetic about how the lane would part like the Red Sea whenever Duncan and O'Neal stepped out of the paint and drew defenders with them, the following easy lay-ups, the glory of titles, and a surefire contract boost for anyone on that team. All you need to do is sign on the dotted line, work your ass off on defense, and watch every other team in the league suddenly go into panic mode.

remingtonbo2001
01-20-2007, 02:20 AM
How bout' this. We coach our guys to play the right way....

remingtonbo2001
01-20-2007, 02:22 AM
Don't forget guys....We still have Scola's rights.

remingtonbo2001
01-20-2007, 02:27 AM
I'd pay O'neal that in a heartbeat. He's worth it. Duncan and JON side-by-side would be like the 1999 team, only potentially better. We didn't have Manu or Parker then, and won it all. Course, we had the little general at point, and solid 3-point shooters.

I would at this point even trade Manu. Swingmen are plentiful these days in the NBA. We wouldn't need someone just as good as Manu to step in, we'd just need a player in the realm of his abilities. With the post presence, it wouldn't matter. We'd dominate boards every single game against any team in the league.

Even a lineup like Parker, Finley, Bowen, JON, Duncan would be hard pressed -not- to win a title. Think about that. Who would POSSIBLY present matchup problems with that line-up? We have a Dirk stopper in JON. The Suns -- well, we'd have defense AND offense, they'd only have offense, and we still have Bowen to shut down Marion (not that he would need to completely stuff him). Parker would still destroy Nash, so we'd have penetration ability and be able to force their defense to collapse.

No team in the LEAGUE would be able to guard us in the paint. Even with their bigs, the Mavs would be hopelessly outclassed. We'd have their big men in foul trouble from the 1st quarter of every game on. Not to mention how dominant JON could be with Duncan as a mentor.

Guys, I love Manu. He has more heart than almost anyone else in the NBA, and he's a great asset to this team. But at some point we are going to face the fact that we have matchup problems with the Mavs. Trading Manu away sucks, but wouldn't losing in the WCF suck more this year? I think so. Duncan is still in his prime. Make this deal happen, pick up a good swingman when free agency rolls around, and win 3 more titles with Parker/x/Bowen-whoever else we can get/JON/Duncan. Just two DECENT guards would be enough with that PG/PF/C combination.

Not to mention that, in order to acquire the SG/SFs we need, Pop could use a little something like this as an approach: "How would you like to play for (perhaps) the most dominant post tandem in NBA history?" He could then wax poetic about how the lane would part like the Red Sea whenever Duncan and O'Neal stepped out of the paint and drew defenders with them, the following easy lay-ups, the glory of titles, and a surefire contract boost for anyone on that team. All you need to do is sign on the dotted line, work your ass off on defense, and watch every other team in the league suddenly go into panic mode.

I have a question....What happens if Jermaine O'Neal becomes the next Vin Baker?..... Then what? Or maybe the next Shawn Kemp? Hmmmm.....

carib
01-20-2007, 02:27 AM
I am crying out to the main office please make this deal work, the Spurs shelf life will be added 4 plus years and become the best team in the league.

Just keep Tim

carib
01-20-2007, 02:29 AM
I have a question....What happens if Jermaine O'Neal becomes the next Vin Baker?..... Then what? Or maybe the next Shawn Kemp? Hmmmm.....

At what age did Vin Baker and Shawn Kemp lose their prime.

remingtonbo2001
01-20-2007, 02:48 AM
Mid to late 20's

Cry Havoc
01-20-2007, 02:49 AM

By that logic, the Spurs should NEVER TRADE FOR ANOTHER PLAYER. What if they turn out to be a bust!? Oh noes!!!

Because taking a pot shot at some unknown in the late 1st round is much more secure than Jermaine O'Neal. Are you serious? Look at his freaking numbers. He's proven himself as a dominant post presence in the NBA. With Duncan alongside, they would completely shut down the lane.

He gets boards, points, blocks, and most importantly, he's aggressive. And guess what? He's never won a title. He would fight so hard to ensure that we win it this year, guaranteed.

The bottom line is that NO team in the NBA could match up this season with Parker/Fin/Bowen/O'Neal/Duncan and feel comfortable about it. Sure, the Suns would give us occassional problems, and hell, the Mavs might still run us to 7, though I doubt it. We'd dominate on boards and blocks EVERY series, and still have enough weapons to score consistently. That's more than enough to win the title, IMHO.

The bonus would be that O'Neal is young enough to rebuild after Duncan goes into decline. We'd still have Parker/O'neal to use as a backbone for building up a young team hungry to keep us in the hunt for titles.

*edit*

Just for the record, I peered at Kemp's numbers. He never had a season as solid as Jermaine is putting together. Arguably his best would be 93-94, when he averaged 18 PPG with 10.8 boards, 2.6 assists, and 2.1 blocks. JON is putting up 19-10.4-2.9 with over 3 blocks! I understand what you're saying, but JON is a better defender right now than Kemp ever was. Right now, that's what our team needs more than a slashing guard. We need to re-establish the BEST defense in the league. JON would very give us not only that, but a true Dirk stopper as well (as much as the man can be stopped).

dbreiden83080
01-20-2007, 04:41 AM
I would give up Manu as part of a package deal in a heartbeat for O'neal. Come on guys O'neal, Duncan and Parker in our starting 5 that is totally worth saying bye bye to MANU.

stéphane
01-20-2007, 07:35 AM
is it me or are a lot of people still drunk from the new year celebration?
seriously spurs FO wont get a player who is payed that much ^^

ducks
01-20-2007, 09:34 AM
they went HARD after kidd who will make that much soon
they also went after oneal to a lesser degree
and they talked to brand

TDMVPDPOY
01-20-2007, 10:23 AM
tony parker is a scrub, trade him

wasnt bird interested in orb, i ship him out also with barry + filler

Russ
01-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Another bullet the Spurs dodged in free agency.

bigdog
01-20-2007, 10:37 AM
i have an idea....lets tell jonathan about our trade ideas,and he can tell pop and rc how badly spurs fans want JO. im sure he can a deal done. lmao

BillsCarnage
01-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I would never trade Shawn Marion for Jermaine O'Neal. That is insane. Yeah... he had a really bad WCF two years ago, but his freakish athleticism and ability to hit a jump-shot make him a lot more valuable in my eyes than O'Neal. I don't get the desire to move this guy for every disgruntled name in the NBA. Why the Suns fans want to move this guy for one-dimensional pretty-boys like Rashard Lewis? Why do they act like this guy is less valuable than Stoudemire, or Boris Diaw, or Tim Thomas? This is a guy who gives you 40 minutes a night, shoots 50%, grabs 10 boards for you, almost 20 points, and can heat up to an unguardable level at any time.

Jermaine O'Neal offers a better shot-blocking presence, but in every other way it's a loss or a draw in swapping Marion for him. Jermaine's not some dominant low-post scorer or something, and he's so overrated. The year he finished 3rd in MVP voting he shot freaking 43%! 43%!... Michael Olowokandi numbers!

This is the only trade for Marion i've ever thought of considering. I've never wanted to trade him in the past because i know his value to the team. O'Neal is one of the few players i'd trade Marion for, but that's just me. Putting O'Neal, Amare and Diaw on the front line might be enough to push the Suns over.

Besides, we all know how Marion does when his name comes up in trade rumors :ihit POW!

TwoHandJam
01-20-2007, 11:31 AM
J. O'Neal has a terrible fg% for a big man and his contract is whack. He just isn't worth it. Move on.

diego
01-20-2007, 11:36 AM
TD + JO whiniest frontcourt in the NBA!

seriously, I was high on JO back when he was a RFA but since then I've come to believe the guy has no balls. I dont think he would help as much as his numbers suggest.

carib
01-20-2007, 11:39 AM
J. O'Neal has a terrible fg% for a big man and his contract is whack. He just isn't worth it. Move on.

Are we looking for points or some one that can stop Dirk

wildbill2u
01-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Might trade Oneal even up for Duncan. Their stats are virtually the same and Oneal is a little more athletic and younger.

But then you have to think about what Duncan has meant to the Spurs. And that Pop has said that when Duncan goes, he goes. Hmmm. Do the deal. :clap

Seriously, ONeal is not an option. We have nothing the Pacers want without trading one of the big Three and losing either Parker or Manu would simply create another big hole in the starting roster.

TwoHandJam
01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Are we looking for points or some one that can stop Dirk
O'Neal is no Dirk stopper (Dirk scored 43 in their last matchup) and signing him would just leave us with gaping holes at other positions. You beat Dallas with depth and defense, not just by stopping Dirk. They are a well balanced team.

Bruno
01-20-2007, 12:08 PM
O'Neal is too expensive, Spurs can't have two bigmen paid $20M/year.

LakeShow
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
O'Neal is too expensive, Spurs can't have two bigmen paid $20M/year.

He may be but he would be the perfect compliment for TD. TD is at his best with a player like that behind him. You can just about put anybody with those two that can hit some shots to compete for the title. Those 2 could impose their will together on the league. Teams would have to try to match up with the spurs and who would Dirk guard? That's the key in beating Dallas. Make Dirk work and be accountable on D, in the post and he'll bow down.

lefty
01-20-2007, 02:59 PM
How bout' this. We coach our guys to play the right way....
:clap

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-20-2007, 04:00 PM

I've always liked J.O., but THJ might be right. The Pacers have put some good talent around J.O. with only limited success. The Ron Artest debacle probably played a role in their plight the last couple of seasons, but J.O., for all his talent, hasn't shown that he's a winner.

George Gervin's Afro
01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
I'd give up Parker straight up for O'Neal.. for those who question our need for point guard we already have needs that we cannot address with TP.

remingtonbo2001
01-20-2007, 05:52 PM
By that logic, the Spurs should NEVER TRADE FOR ANOTHER PLAYER. What if they turn out to be a bust!? Oh noes!!!

Because taking a pot shot at some unknown in the late 1st round is much more secure than Jermaine O'Neal. Are you serious? Look at his freaking numbers. He's proven himself as a dominant post presence in the NBA. With Duncan alongside, they would completely shut down the lane.

He gets boards, points, blocks, and most importantly, he's aggressive. And guess what? He's never won a title. He would fight so hard to ensure that we win it this year, guaranteed.

The bottom line is that NO team in the NBA could match up this season with Parker/Fin/Bowen/O'Neal/Duncan and feel comfortable about it. Sure, the Suns would give us occassional problems, and hell, the Mavs might still run us to 7, though I doubt it. We'd dominate on boards and blocks EVERY series, and still have enough weapons to score consistently. That's more than enough to win the title, IMHO.

The bonus would be that O'Neal is young enough to rebuild after Duncan goes into decline. We'd still have Parker/O'neal to use as a backbone for building up a young team hungry to keep us in the hunt for titles.

*edit*

Just for the record, I peered at Kemp's numbers. He never had a season as solid as Jermaine is putting together. Arguably his best would be 93-94, when he averaged 18 PPG with 10.8 boards, 2.6 assists, and 2.1 blocks. JON is putting up 19-10.4-2.9 with over 3 blocks! I understand what you're saying, but JON is a better defender right now than Kemp ever was. Right now, that's what our team needs more than a slashing guard. We need to re-establish the BEST defense in the league. JON would very give us not only that, but a true Dirk stopper as well (as much as the man can be stopped).

I was being SARCASTIC....

Manu_The _Best
01-20-2007, 06:14 PM
who would run point?

We need obviously to acquire a PG, and also use Barry for a backup to do that - he is GOOD - TONY, ANYWAY, IS NOT DOING A GOOD JOB RIGHT NOW - Look at his asts - he is OUT OF THE FIRST 10 in Asts in the League (which is a disaster!!!), as having less than 6 per game - he is far away from Nash, Kidd, Billups and co., even TJ Ford is better passing guard...Popovich turned Tony into a scorer, as I said, the Mavs WILL SHUT TONY DOWN PRETTY GOOD in the Playoffs, so in this case we better off TRADE TONY FOR JONeal - WE NEED TO WIN TITLES NOW, you CANNOT BANK on the future with Tony because Timmy is getting OLDER AND OLDER...Thus, we need another TWIN TOWER right next to him -this is our style that won the titles for us before!!!

GO SPURS!!! :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:00 PM
barry can not run the point on d
barry can be a backup point but not full time

manu and tp's problem right now is they do not trust their teamates to make their baskets
not tp's passing skills

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:03 PM
We need obviously to acquire a PG, and also use Barry for a backup to do that - he is GOOD - TONY, ANYWAY, IS NOT DOING A GOOD JOB RIGHT NOW - Look at his asts - he is OUT OF THE FIRST 10 in Asts in the League (which is a disaster!!!), as having less than 6 per game - he is far away from Nash, Kidd, Billups and co., even TJ Ford is better passing guard...Popovich turned Tony into a scorer, as I said, the Mavs WILL SHUT TONY DOWN PRETTY GOOD in the Playoffs, so in this case we better off TRADE TONY FOR JONeal - WE NEED TO WIN TITLES NOW, you CANNOT BANK on the future with Tony because Timmy is getting OLDER AND OLDER...Thus, we need another TWIN TOWER right next to him -this is our style that won the titles for us before!!!

GO SPURS!!! :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

how are you going to get a better point guard?

Bob Lanier
01-20-2007, 07:16 PM
I would never trade Shawn Marion for Jermaine O'Neal. That is insane. Yeah... he had a really bad WCF two years ago, but his freakish athleticism and ability to hit a jump-shot make him a lot more valuable in my eyes than O'Neal.
Shawn Marion's near useless in a halfcourt game and can't play on-ball defense at any position. It's nice to have a small forward who can rebound that well, and he's certainly an impressive athlete, but even if the jumpshooting china doll Jermaine O'Neal is overrated... he's nowhere near as overrated as Shawn Marion.

Manu_The _Best
01-20-2007, 07:21 PM
barry can not run the point on d
barry can be a backup point but not full time

manu and tp's problem right now is they do not trust their teamates to make their baskets
not tp's passing skills

I am talking about asts as a point guard, you are saying non-sense telling me ABOUT SCORING and SCORING %. The PG job is NOT about his scoring and scoring % (it is IDIOTIC to think that, ok???!!!), but it is about how you run the point!!!

Well, read here it is by PURE NUMBERS:

TOP Point Guards IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW:
Assists (min 22 games)
Player Team Assists
nash,steve Pho 11.51
kidd,jason NJN 9.18
paul,chris NOr 8.96
williams,deron Uta 8.72
miller,andre phi 8.68
davis,baron GSW 8.58
billups,chauncey Det 8.10
wade,dwyane Mia 8.00
ford,t.j. Tor 7.74
felton,raymond Cha 7.61

TONY CANNOT BE FOUND HERE!!! He IS NOT TRUE POINT GUARD, but just a SCORER - if you look at his stat BY ONLY SCORING between ALL PGs in the League, YES, he stays well, but THIS IS NOT HIS JOB - his job is to run the point and give us ASTS, and for this he DOESN'T DELIVER!!!

Assists/Turnover (min 22 games,20 min) which is YOUR MAIN indicator how good a point guard is:

Player Team Assists
daniels,antonio Was 4.24
williams,jason Mia 3.75
billups,chauncey Det 3.63
duhon,chris Chi 3.53
kidd,jason NJN 3.28
williams,deron Uta 3.23
nash,steve Pho 3.16
miller,andre phi 3.11
ollie,kevin Phi 3.00
cassell,sam LAC 2.96

Here Tony CANNOT be found as well!!!

LEARN THIS GAME FIRST then talk about it!!! Tony Parker is USELESS as a point guard, BUT as a SHOOTING GUARD he is terrific, however the Spurs will be better off getting JONeal and acquire a TRUE PG, who can PASS the Ball, not just shoot...Also, Parker doesn't have the size to beat the Mavs - they will shut him down as they did last year in the Playoffs when he was a disaster...

GO SPURS!!!

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:25 PM
who is going to be your true point guard?

tp goes to any team other then the spurs his assists goes over 8 agame

T Park
01-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Ah I see the idiot argentines are out and about.

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:28 PM
so you are going to trade tp for oneal
so are you then going to try to trade manu for a pure point guard?

or are you going to trade kidd for duncan
they both make about the same amount of money... :wtf
or duncan for nash?

no one besides manu or duncan are going to get you a true point guard......
that is good right now

Manu_The _Best
01-20-2007, 07:31 PM
The Spurs will find someone - for example - they could sign Francis if he breaks his contract with NY or look to trade for someone offering Finley, Beno and a draft pick...I would rather see Timmy and JONeal as a due...it will be unbeatable...I really don't care what tony will do in other teams, THE FACT is HE IS USELESS as a POINT GUARD for the Spurs becaue they turned him into a scorer with over $60 mln. contract - WE DON'T NEED THAT...For this money I would rather have JONeal...END OF STORY...

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:31 PM
The Spurs will find someone - for example - they could sign Francis if he breaks his contract with NY or look to trade for someone offering Finley, Beno and a draft pick...I would rather see Timmy and JONeal as a due...it will be unbeatable...I really don't care what tony will do in other teams, THE FACT is HE IS USELESS as a POINT GUARD for the Spurs becaue they turned him into a scorer with over $60 mln. contract - WE DON'T NEED THAT...For this money I would rather have JONeal...END OF STORY...

steve is not a true point guard......

Manu_The _Best
01-20-2007, 07:34 PM
steve is not a true point guard......

The Spurs could trade Beno, Finley and a draft pick for a PG, and use Barry and Vaughn as backups...Timmy and JONeal and Elson TRIO will be unbeatable upfront - the Mavs will go down ASAP!!! It is worth to sacrifice Tony for that...It will bring at least 2 more titles NOW...Keep in mind Timmy is getting OLD!!!

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Who?

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 07:35 PM

You realized that J O'Neal makes as much as Tony and Manu combined, right?

He's not worth that much money.

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:36 PM
I am ok with your backups...

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:37 PM

maybe not but spurs might have to overpay a player for a few titles

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 07:38 PM
TONY CANNOT BE FOUND HERE!!! He IS NOT TRUE POINT GUARD, but just a SCORER - if you look at his stat BY ONLY SCORING between ALL PGs in the League, YES, he stays well, but THIS IS NOT HIS JOB - his job is to run the point and give us ASTS, and for this he DOESN'T DELIVER!!!

You think that's his job. Pop and the Spurs think his job is to score and run the offense. Racking up assists isn't their biggest priority.

Manu_The _Best
01-20-2007, 07:40 PM

Kori, I know that, but I disagree - I think he is WORTH - look at the Mavs they spent MUCH more money than us...Timmy-JONeal-Elson TRIO will shut down the entire NBA with "D" and blocks, this is what the Spurs are known for, then an average PG, as St. Blake for example, will be enough for the Spurs to win it...I am sure Popo can find someone if offer Finley, Beno and a draft pick...Of course this is juts a thought, POPO WILL never TRADE TONY...BTW, why my signature doesn't come in even if I selected it??? Because of the size?

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:42 PM
I think oneals numbers next to duncan would improve......................
I think he is a vocal leader to...........

POOH may know more about that though

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Kori, I know that, but I disagree - I think he is WORTH - look at the Mavs they spent MUCH more money than us...Timmy-JONeal-Elson TRIO will shut down the entire NBA with "D" and blocks, this is what the Spurs are known for, then an average PG, as St. Blake for example, will be enough for the Spurs to win it...I am sure Popo can find someone if offer Finley, Beno and a draft pick...Of course this is juts a thought, POPO WILL never TRADE TONY...BTW, why my signature doesn't come in even if I selected it??? Because of the size?

You realize that the Mavs players that they are paying a lot of money don't play on the Mavs anymore. (Finley, Bradley, Eschmeyer, etc.) If you take out those players and count the players that are actually playing on the Mavs - then the Mavericks and Spurs spend the same amount of money.

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:45 PM
well, the spurs have 2 number ones next draft don't they?

HOW is that going to help this year if they trade tp for oneal?

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:46 PM
rookie point guards are not perfect
you have to use patience with them
tp is a rare case
and pop did not want to go to him so quick but was forced to

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 07:47 PM
well, the spurs have 2 number ones next draft don't they?

No, they have one first rounder and two seconds.

LakeShow
01-20-2007, 08:16 PM
I know that I'm not a Spurs fan but I am a fan of the NBA. Not only a fan of the NBA, a Lakers fan :lol I always wanted to say that! They use that slogan on the Lakers channel.

Anyway, although I know that having Oneal would make the Spurs one of the best in the league. I would really like to see that. Tim does not have the game to play this run and gun, small ball game. If the Spurs are going to keep him and if they want to win with him. They have to go back to his game. That's a halfcourt game slowing the game down. Oneal would be perfect for the spurs and Duncan at this juncture of his career. He could provide some offensive help for Duncan and teams would have to guard both of those players. I want to see a twins tower, to put a stop to this small ball bullshit. I want to see teams go back to pounding the post and taking high percentage shots instead of all these low percentage bricks we are seeing daily in the NBA today. I want to see teams having to match up with the spurs rather than teams matching up to this small ball game. Trade Manu or Parker, doesnt really matter. A player like Oneal does not come often. The spurs will have to overpay to get Duncan some quality help. What's overpaying for 3 years? Go for it, I guarantee that they wont regret it! :fro

bringBAKElie
01-20-2007, 08:27 PM
I thought the Spurs have a conditional 2nd first round pick, although i cant remember from who

Big P
01-20-2007, 08:34 PM
We have a conditional second round pick from Chicago..if its before the 50th pick we get nothing, after the 50th pick we get it.

carib
01-20-2007, 10:57 PM
This is the best situation that the Spurs will come across for a long time to come, if they don't go after O'Neal and invest some money in this player they are not serious about spending any money on quality players.

Good players spend the money; over the hill players they come cheap.

T-Pain
01-20-2007, 11:16 PM
i think were gonna have to give away one of our big three (duncan, ginobili, parker) to get o'neal, unfortunately. The Pacers are gonna want someone sexy to give away their man.

ducks
01-20-2007, 11:37 PM
spurs wanted kidd oneal or brand
they stuck out on all three
spurs were willing to pay the max to any of the three

rascal
01-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I would give up Manu as part of a package deal in a heartbeat for O'neal. Come on guys O'neal, Duncan and Parker in our starting 5 that is totally worth saying bye bye to MANU.

Agree Manu is the one who has some trade value and would be the better one to trade than Parker.

rascal
01-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Carlos Arroyo may be available for those who want a pg. He isn't a high assit man but the spurs don't play a style that lends to a need for a high assit style pg. A good shooting pg with low turnovers and some offensive fire power is a better fit.

Manu_The _Best
01-21-2007, 08:41 PM
You think that's his job. Pop and the Spurs think his job is to score and run the offense. Racking up assists isn't their biggest priority.

Kori, the main part of the Tony's job as "running the offense" is to penetrate and create opportunity for his temmates by passing the ball to them (this is WHY is called a PG, NOT a shooting guard) - look at Nash and WHY he is Number 1 Point Guard in the League - he has 11 asts per game and also scores - look at the Suns - they are flying - Tony is ONLY scoring, BUT NOT RUNNING THE OFFENSE, sorry, and this is shoen greatly in his Tendex Index and stat as having almost FLAT spead (I wrote about that so many times), meaning he isn't providing deep anything else (in the overall picture), BUT JUST SCORING...The stat doesn't lie... :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

Agloco
01-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Spurs need to do all that they can to get in the mix of this deal

I've been dreaming about Jermaine ONeal since Robinson retired........screaming it at the TV as Robinson did his last post-game interview.

What happened that offseason almost made me go postal......

WTF were the Spurs thinking going after Jason Kidd?!?!?!

Imagine if we hadn't gotten our dick caught in our zipper after the 2003 season?

exstatic
01-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Kori, the main part of the Tony's job as "running the offense" is to penetrate and create opportunity for his temmates by passing the ball to them (this is WHY is called a PG, NOT a shooting guard) - look at Nash and WHY he is Number 1 Point Guard in the League - he has 11 asts per game and also scores - look at the Suns - they are flying - Tony is ONLY scoring, BUT NOT RUNNING THE OFFENSE, sorry, and this is shoen greatly in his Tendex Index and stat as having almost FLAT spead (I wrote about that so many times), meaning he isn't providing deep anything else (in the overall picture), BUT JUST SCORING...The stat doesn't lie... :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:
The Suns don't run a motion offense. Learn some b-ball. Nash dominates the ball. That's why he avgs 11 assists. If no one but Parker handled the ball in the half court, his assists would be way up. If there isn't a fast break opportunity, Parker dumps the ball to a big at the top of the arc, and goes into his cuts.

exstatic
01-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Ah I see the idiot argentines are out and about.
When did all of these new, Parker-hating Argies show up? I'm about to go all Sequ on their asses...

T Park
01-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Good question, I don't know what got their panties in a bunch.