PDA

View Full Version : If there's one thing you have to do...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2007, 01:36 AM
...it is get courtside tickets for a game!!! Absolutely freakin INCREDIBLE!!! :elephant :fro :elephant :toast :spin

I am still high from being so close to the action and the players, and you see and hear things that you simply can't experience from anywhere else. Tonight was something I will NEVER forget.

Not only that, if you turn up early (ie. 5pm), wear a flag as a cape, and smile a lot, you can go and talk to the assistant coaches (Brett Brown, Chip Engelland (sp?)), and Bruce Bowen will spontaneously come over and yak it up for a minute or two. Not only that, Tony sat talking to Don Newman for about 15 minutes right next to me, Manu nodded, and I shared a joke with Rob Horry, Eric Williams and Francisco Elson. Totally, absolutely, undeniably an incredible experience.

Pics will follow when I get to Kori and LJ's to download them.

Dazed...
Amazed...
and utterly joyful!

RnROS

SilverPlayer
01-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Sounds awesome glad a real fan got to experience it. (since they mostly end up as corporate seats.)

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 04:12 AM
How much do courtside tickets go for?

Are they hard to get? Other than the price.

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 04:14 AM
How much do courtside tickets go for?

Are they hard to get? Other than the price.

Face value is $850 plus tax and fees, so about $865. Yes, very hard to find.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2007, 04:15 AM

Holy. Crap. That's a lot of money I could do something else with.

I love basketball, but wow.

Maybe when I'm 40 and making ^ 60k a year.

wildbill2u
01-20-2007, 12:57 PM
For my first 15 years or so as a season ticket holder, I had two seats seven rows up behind the Spurs bench in the old arena. great seats. Then my friend that had signed up for two seats also with me on Day One, decided to bail when they got too expensive for him.

This was in the mid 90s and I had another friend who had two courtside tickets near mid court facing the bench. He couldn't afford them alone so he and I shared them. The cost at that time was $50 per ticket plus you had to buy into the Spurs Corral which had been free.

Not an inexpensive night out when you figure in parking, drinks, dinner, pre-game drinks in Corral, during game beers, half-time drinks in Corral, during game beers, after game drinks in Corral, DUI tickets, etc. :drunk -- but they were worth it.

We'd get to talk to the players as they chased balls into the stands or took the ball out of bounds. Not to mention ragging on the Refs.

I can't imagine paying $1700 a night for two tickets x 41 games plus playoffs. Incredible escalation.

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-20-2007, 03:13 PM

its nothing when you travel all the way from Australia and its a possible once in a lifetime experience.

:fro

I'll be doing the same thing in the near future

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-20-2007, 03:14 PM
oh, for a Nuggets game though :lol

Im going to shoot for a home playoff game in 2008

spurschick
01-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I sat courtside, center court once... definitely a different way to experience the game. You hear a lot of things that you wouldn't otherwise.

CubanMustGo
01-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Trust me, even when you're there, it's a lot of money.

Spurs game center court, or new recliner?
Spurs game center court, or two car payments?
Spurs game center court, or house payment?

Glad you got to experience it, RnR! Good on ya mate!

nkdlunch
01-20-2007, 03:49 PM

60k? no way. maybe 100k. even then still a lot of money.

But before this Spurs generation is gone I will sit courtside at a playoff game. unfortunately I probably only have 1 or 2 years left

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Cheers to all for the good wishes! :)

Yeah, a lot of money, but worth every cent. I have no house payments to make (just paid off my apartment), my car is second hand and I bought it outright, and I really don't need for anything... I guess I buy experiences rather than goods, and I don't feel ripped off at all (although it is an incredible amount of money to pay for a 4 hour entertainment experience!).

Also, flowing out of my chat with Brett Brown, I went to the Spurs' practice this morning!!! Twas waaaaay cool. I didn't get to chat to any of the players, just watched them do their drills (I think they were all preoccupied with the upcoming road btb), but Bruce said hi and even remembered my name from last night (!), and I had a chat with Brett and Chip again - both really nice, interesting fellas. Man, I am one lucky SOB! :D ;)

Now all that remains is to meet DRob somehow. The way my luck is running, he'll turn up in the Oak Hills Tavern and shout me the birthday party I missed out on this year since I was on IV fluids in hospital at the time... :lmao

SANANTOJAMES
01-20-2007, 07:01 PM
thats good, we have season tickets on the floor every year and not too long ago my work gave me 2 seats in the time warner suite and, there is nothin like siitin on the floor

GrandeDavid
01-20-2007, 07:29 PM

I got four near David Robinson (on his row, a few seats down) for, I think, $1,200.

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 07:33 PM
I got four near David Robinson (on his row, a few seats down) for, I think, $1,200.

2nd row? Yeah they are around $400 each I believe. Courtside, very first row, on the sides (not endzone) are the price I quoted.

ducks
01-20-2007, 07:34 PM
cool

xcoriate
01-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Dude that better have been an Aussie flag!

Thats amazing sounds like it was worth every cent - plus you got invited to the next days practice? Incredible.

*turns green with envy*

Did you chat to Brett Brown about the NBL days?

I think when I go over it will be to see the playoffs probably need one more year of saving... I'm running out of time to see Timmy/Manu at a high level...

xcoriate
01-20-2007, 07:56 PM
oh btw - Cry Havoc are an insane band :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Dude that better have been an Aussie flag!

Thats amazing sounds like it was worth every cent - plus you got invited to the next days practice? Incredible.

*turns green with envy*

Did you chat to Brett Brown about the NBL days?

I think when I go over it will be to see the playoffs probably need one more year of saving... I'm running out of time to see Timmy/Manu at a high level...

Yup, always wear the Aussie flag, and Brett and I did chat about NBL days! :)

Save youmoney and make you move mate, it's worth it. :toast

braeden0613
01-20-2007, 08:34 PM
...it is get courtside tickets for a game!!! Absolutely freakin INCREDIBLE!!! :elephant :fro :elephant :toast :spin

I am still high from being so close to the action and the players, and you see and hear things that you simply can't experience from anywhere else. Tonight was something I will NEVER forget.

Not only that, if you turn up early (ie. 5pm), wear a flag as a cape, and smile a lot, you can go and talk to the assistant coaches (Brett Brown, Chip Engelland (sp?)), and Bruce Bowen will spontaneously come over and yak it up for a minute or two. Not only that, Tony sat talking to Don Newman for about 15 minutes right next to me, Manu nodded, and I shared a joke with Rob Horry, Eric Williams and Francisco Elson. Totally, absolutely, undeniably an incredible experience.

Pics will follow when I get to Kori and LJ's to download them.

Dazed...
Amazed...
and utterly joyful!

RnROS
Yeah everyone was wondering why you had the flag draped over your back...Andrew Gaze was the common answer

GrandeDavid
01-20-2007, 08:50 PM
2nd row? Yeah they are around $400 each I believe. Courtside, very first row, on the sides (not endzone) are the price I quoted.

I was in town with a big time client/business partner who had never been to an NBA game so I doled out the duckets. I guess I got a reasonable deal then. Even more reasonable when David shook my hand and recognized my nameless self. ha ha

GrandeDavid
01-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Kori, another funny thing was Jack Ramsey was a ref that night and during a timeout he sort of lingered along the sideline right in front of where we were sitting. I didn't even have to really shout, but I did tell him something like "keep working, Jack, you're doing a great job" and he turned around and sort of did an air guitar thing briefly and winked at me. Pretty funny at the time.

1Parker1
01-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Awesome!! Sounds like your trip is going great so far!

How'd you end up getting to watch practice also? Do the Spurs usually let people come and watch?

ploto
01-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Glad you had a great time!

I actually don't like sitting that low. I have such a hard time seeing-- literally having to look up to the court. I prefer several rows up- above eye-level and at a better angle for us short people.

TMTTRIO
01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah it's a pretty neat experience. I got a great deal on a set of tickets the 2nd row behind the Spurs bench. It was an awesome experience. I got to hear Pop get caught up arguing with the ref, Tony said something in french when the ref called a call against him, and Manu cussing at himself in spanish and taking it out on the chair with his towel :lol . It's amazing what you'll see and hear when your down there :lol .

MI21
01-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Fuck yeah, Ruff. That's incredible. I know I'd definitly be talking to Brett Brown about the NBL etc and trying to work my way into meeting the players through him :D

The main attraction of courtside for me is hearing all the talk from coaches, players etc.. I have courtside members tickets for the team in my area in Australia, and it's pretty damn cool in a stadium of 5,000. I can't imagine what it's like at the AT&T. Very jealous mate.

Old School Fool
01-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Nice.

ALVAREZ6
01-21-2007, 12:51 AM
One lucky man.

angel_luv
01-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Wow- you got to go to a Spurs practice! That is too cool! :)

joeyjfive
01-21-2007, 12:08 PM
One of my friends lives next to David Robinsons parents house and like his whole family has met David Robinson, I hate it cuz I'm a bigger Spurs fan than all of them combined. The only Spur I've met was Antonio Daniels.

mabber
01-21-2007, 12:47 PM
It really is an awesome experience to sit courtside. I've sat courtside twice at Mav games. I have season tickets in lower level (only 10 rows back) and it's SOOOOOO much better and different sitting courtside. A friend & I spent $1,250 each (made it my Christmas gift from wife) to get courtside tickets (via EBay) to sit courtside for game #2 of the NBA finals and it was absolutely awesome. If you're a big fan, it's worth spending the money to do it at least once. The $1,250 we each spent ended up being a bargain for that game from what I learned.

timvp
01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Kori, another funny thing was Jack Ramsey was a ref that night and during a timeout he sort of lingered along the sideline right in front of where we were sitting. I didn't even have to really shout, but I did tell him something like "keep working, Jack, you're doing a great job" and he turned around and sort of did an air guitar thing briefly and winked at me. Pretty funny at the time.

http://espn.go.com/i/columnists/ramsay_drjack_m.jpg

Did Holt forget to pay a bill and they had to use replacement refs?

ShoogarBear
01-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, WTF, Dr. Jack reffing?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks to all. ;)

GrandeDavid, nice stories. All I have left on my list now is to meet David, and I'm hoping he will come to the Rockets game on Wednesday so I at least have a chance at that. I wrote to the Carver Academy three time explaining my entire backstory and asking them to at least pass on my emails, but never heard back... :depressed

MI21, actually, I really wanted to meet Brett as I loved his D-Mac teams and wanted to ask him whether he was the common link that brought Gaze and Heal over, and of course he was. He is a really nice guy, and I'm glad I got to meet him. Same with Chip, a lovely man. And I admire the obvious commitment and intensity that both of them bring to their jobs. Guys like them are what make our entire organisation so strong and shouldn't be forgotten.

The only player who spoke to me was Bruce, and he even remembered my name when he saw me at practice the next day which was a fantastic gesture on his part. He is exactly what he appears to be, someone who obviously cares about people and understands the impact he has on them.

As for talking to the other players, it would have been nice but, really, what can you say in a minute? I don't really feel a need to talk to them, because to have any sort of meaningful interaction would take a while, and they have enough on their plates without listening to my drivel. It is enough that I met Brett and Chip (and had a good chat with both) and Bruce, and that they know that there are people out there all over the world who love their team as much as I do and do crazy things like this. Who knows, maybe one day I'll run into Tim or Manu or Fran in a bar somewhere and buy them a drink...

However, despite not chatting with the players, most of them nodded or smiled or hammed it up to let me know they knew I was there, and that was nice.

As for getting into practice, I think it's pretty much a special thing that Brett did for me because I've come all this way to watch the team, and I thank him so much for that. I also thank Pop who would have had final say over whether someone like me was let anywhere near the building!

I will write more about practice soon when I get some longer computer time.

I am one lucky SOB, and I intend to ride my fortune as far as it will take me. Bring positivity to the world where you can, and generally good things will come your way. That's my experience, anyway. :)

Gotta go eat, back later.

Ruff

ShoogarBear
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Damn, I just priced courtside seat for the Spurs-Wiz game on Feb. 5th.

$850 per seat.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

(edit: the game's the 7th).

Holt's Cat
01-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, WTF, Dr. Jack reffing?

Later on Tuwbbs showed up and they flew bwack togethwer to South Beawch.

BeerIsGood!
01-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Damn, I just priced courtside seat for the Spurs-Wiz game on Feb. 5th.

$850 per seat.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Since the Spurs only really play about half the game - the price should be cut by half too. You should also get a refund of 2% for every TO by Beno as well as every missed open shot by Finley.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Since the Spurs only really play about half the game - the price should be cut by half too. You should also get a refund of 2% for every TO by Beno as well as every missed open shot by Finley.

:lol Few of those tonight. :(

angel_luv
01-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Later on Tuwbbs showed up and they flew bwack togethwer to South Beawch.

You have a Sylvester like accent?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Sorry, but I can't respect men who have cats. Peter Holt, get yourself a dog or a fish or something, but a cat?

Women and cats, fine, but men... there's just something wrong with that. It creeps me out... :lol

PS Welcome, Tigole Bitties! :D

Holt's Cat
01-23-2007, 12:20 AM
You have a Sylvester like accent?

You have a nice puwwy?

alamo50
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Also, flowing out of my chat with Brett Brown, I went to the Spurs' practice this morning!!!

I am very happy for you Ruff ,as I remember you passed on it last time you were in town!
Sucks that the Carver Academy doesn't get back to you though.........

Just don't expect anything and keep running around with that Aussie flag wrapped around ya at the at&t!
I know you are living your dream right now.

Awesome mate!
Cheers!

I am awaiting the pics!!!