PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone disagree with this statement?

timvp
01-20-2007, 01:53 AM
If Devin Brown were on the Spurs, he'd be the team's best backup point guard, the team's best backup shooting guard, the team's best backup small forward and the team's best backup power forward.

I believe that currently, that is a true statement. The sad part is that Devin isn't even really that good.

But compared to what the Spurs have, I'd take Devin over every Spurs option at each of those positions. Devin > Udrih, even as a point guard. Devin > Finley and Barry, especially considering what the Spurs need (rebounding, defense and clutch shooting), Devin > anyone the Spurs put at PF during small ball.

Again, I'm not saying Devin is anything more than an average NBA player, just pointing out how weak this bench is. How the Spurs didn't sign a player of his caliber for the minimum, I'll never understand.

Devin Brown is better than James White will ever be, and Devin has actually proven himself in the Spurs' system and has proven that he's a clutch shooter in the playoffs.

SilverPlayer
01-20-2007, 01:59 AM
I agree and I think he would give us everything besides a backup point that we'd need to be in it in June.

polandprzem
01-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Hehe - well I wouldn't like to have Devin take care of playmaking, dribbling etc.

But if he would play on the court then Gino would take the PG position.

btw - he is gone, so why cry?

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Devin article from the E-N. I thought it was interesting that he kind of admits he didn't work hard in San Antonio.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012007.07C.BKNspurs.notebook.20e888a.html

Leaving hometown allowed former Spur Brown to grow up

Web Posted: 01/20/2007 12:13 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

It is no secret around the NBA that the Spurs have spent much of the past month looking for ways to upgrade their perimeter.

It also is no secret they passed on a player in their own town who might have been able to provide some help.

After being released by Golden State just before the start of training camp, former Spurs guard Devin Brown didn't land another job until New Orleans signed him on Dec. 21. He's filled in as the Hornets' starting point guard while Chris Paul has been sidelined and entered Friday's game averaging 11.5 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.6 assists, all career highs.

Brown, who worked out in San Antonio and played in local city-league games while he was looking for a team, said his agent spoke to the Spurs officials shortly after he was let go, but they already had opened training camp in France.

"By that time, they already had their roster and they had guys that were working hard, so it was one of those lose-lose situations," Brown said. "Their whole thing was, 'We don't know what we're going to do. Just stay in shape.'"

The Spurs still had ample opportunity to sign Brown after camp, but elected to add rookie guard James White to their roster.

"I think the whole thing was they didn't know what kind of shape I was in or what I was doing," Brown said. "When you're (in San Antonio) there's only one place to really work out and that's the practice facility. They hadn't seen me there, so I think that just left a lot of questions."

When the Spurs decided not to re-sign Brown after the 2004-05 season, they were concerned about his back trouble, which had slowed him, and his work ethic. Brown's lone season in Utah didn't ease the Spurs' concerns.

Brown agrees that leaving San Antonio, where he had a flourishing social life after playing at West Campus High School and UTSA, probably benefited his career.

"It made me grow up in the sense that when I was here in San Antonio, everything was too easy," said Brown, who distributed 25 tickets to family and friends for Friday's game. "You'd work out and then (the rest of the day) was like being at UTSA.

"I made a lot of mistakes and a lot of bad decisions. There were times when on days off, instead of going out and getting a workout. I'd just take the day off like I was Tony (Parker) or Tim (Duncan) and getting all these minutes.

"But being in Utah for a year will slow anybody down."

Brown can play all three perimeter positions, but most of his minutes with the Hornets have come at point guard. He's shooting only 35.8 percent and scouts think he has lost some of his athleticism — two reasons why he might not have been a perfect fit for the Spurs — but he also appears to be a better overall player.

Brown will be a free agent again this summer.

"New Orleans is going to be the first team I look at because they did take a chance on me," Brown said. "After that, as long as I stay healthy, we'll look at all the options."

timvp
01-20-2007, 02:06 AM
If a slacking Devin Brown beat out Brent Barry for a job in the rotation last time he was on the team, the Spurs should have at least taken a look at a post Jerry Sloan version of Devin. He looked to be in pretty good shape out there and played with a very good pace.

He's never going to be a great shooter, but on the Spurs he could shoot 42-44% playing off of Tim Duncan.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Granted he probably wasn't playing 100%, but from what I saw of him at the gym...I wouldn't go near the guy. He doesn't look that great. And from what I've seen of him with the Hornets I don't see why any teams would trip over themselves trying to sign the guy.

The guy is having a tough time beatin gout Pargo for minutes, that should say something about his value.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:12 AM
If Devin Brown were on the Spurs, he'd be the team's best backup point guard, the team's best backup shooting guard, the team's best backup small forward and the team's best backup power forward.

I hope that's a typo.

polandprzem
If a slacking Devin Brown beat out Brent Barry for a job in the rotation last time he was on the team, the Spurs should have at least taken a look at a post Jerry Sloan version of Devin. He looked to be in pretty good shape out there and played with a very good pace.

He's never going to be a great shooter, but on the Spurs he could shoot 42-44% playing off of Tim Duncan.

Like everybodys FG% goes up with Tim in the squad :nope

Louie Vega
It sucks to think that the Spurs could have had Devin for next to nothing. And Maggette for next to nothing (Beno & Barry).

timvp
01-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Granted he wasn't probably playing 100% hard, but from what I saw of him at the gym...I wouldn't go near the guy. He doesn't look that great. And from what I've seen of him with the Hornets I don't see why any teams would trip over each other trying to sign the guy.

The guy is having a tough time beatin gout Pargo for minutes, that should say something about his value.

Leave it to Please_dont_ban_me to come up with the worst scouting report of all time. At least he didn't tell us who Devin Brown reminded him of.

Devin played well tonight, especially considering that the Hornets are so depleted that he had no help out there. He's averaging 11 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists so far for the Hornets and has started at point guard, shooting guard and small forward.

And uh, Pargo is one of the better backup point guards in the league and Devin beat him out for the starting spot. Do you even follow basketball?

Louie Vega
01-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Granted he probably wasn't playing 100%, but from what I saw of him at the gym...I wouldn't go near the guy. He doesn't look that great. And from what I've seen of him with the Hornets I don't see why any teams would trip over themselves trying to sign the guy.

Shit! I'll take 11 points coming off the bench anytime podna! Not to mention that Devin knows the system already and like he said in his comments he knows he fucked up and learned from it. I know Devin would bust his ass if he played for the Spurs.

timvp
01-20-2007, 02:16 AM
I hope that's a typo.

Again, if you watched basketball, you would have noticed that Devin spent a good percentage of his time at power forward the last time he was on the Spurs. Go watch Manu's 48 point game and come back and tell me who played power forward.

Thanks.

Das Texan
Devin has played great basketball.

I wish we had taken a flyer on him after getting bought out by the Warriors or whatever the hell they did.

We dropped the ball there. We know what Devin can bring to the table as a half assed player. He has shown the ability to perform in the playoffs and is not afraid to mix it up with players long or short.

milkyway21
that's overrating. He's good but not that good. Plus at the time we let go of Devin is we were concerned of his health situation that time. His back injury was the big issue, not his play. But i don't mind the Spurs bringing him over again.

i don't know but I'm sure i kind of miss his athleticism and dunks right now

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/pod_070119.jpg

Das Texan
01-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Didn't Devin also take a turn guarding Dirk and did a halfway decent job at one point also?

TDMVPDPOY
01-20-2007, 02:18 AM
he also be the best backup to gino for turnovers, i still cant forgive him for that rockets game where he made tmac look like god in 30 secs....

Please_dont_ban_me
Leave it to Please_dont_ban_me to come up with the worst scouting report of all time. At least he didn't tell us who Devin Brown reminded him of.

Devin played well tonight, especially considering that the Hornets are so depleted that he had no help out there. He's averaging 11 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists so far for the Hornets and has started at point guard, shooting guard and small forward.

And uh, Pargo is one of the better backup point guards in the league and Devin beat him out for the starting spot. Do you even follow basketball?

Not the New Orleans Hornets. Sorry.

All I've seen of them is a few games that were televised nationally. In those games Pargo and Devin Brown were on the court at the same time more often than Devin was on the court by himself. And Byron Scott tended to play Pargo in the 4th quarter more.

(It's not everybody's job to follow the NBA. If you feel you are the only one with a right to share your opinion, we can just call this TimvpTalk.com.)

Kori Ellis
that's overrating. He's good but not that good.

:lol LJ said in his original post...

The sad part is that Devin isn't even really that good.

I think he's saying that are bench sucks; not that Devin is awesome.

timvp
01-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Didn't Devin also take a turn guarding Dirk and did a halfway decent job at one point also?

Yeah. The last Spur to shut down Dirk was none other than Devin Brown.

I didn't bring that up because I don't want mass suicides in San Antonio.

:hat

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Shit! I'll take 11 points coming off the bench anytime podna! Not to mention that Devin knows the system and like he said in his comments he knows he fucked up and learned from it. I know Devin would bust his ass if he played for the Spurs.

Devin > Udrih

But that's not saying much. Not to mention in all his time here Pop could never convert him into a true point. You can't just turn a scorer into a point guard (see: Tony Parker). Would you play Devin ahead of Finley? I wouldn't. Would you play him ahead of Barry? I wouldn't. But Timvp seems to think he'd make a solid back up Power Forward. So maybe I'm wrong...

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Again, if you watched basketball, you would have noticed that Devin spent a good percentage of his time at power forward the last time he was on the Spurs. Go watch Manu's 48 point game and come back and tell me who played power forward.

Thanks.

Wow.

Are you going to hand in your assistant coach / GM application to the Spurs front office now, or after the season?

Das Texan
01-20-2007, 02:22 AM
Devin > Udrih

But that's not saying much. Not to mention in all his time here Pop could never convert him into a true point. You can't just turn a scorer into a point guard (see: Tony Parker). Would you play Devin ahead of Finley? I wouldn't. Would you play him ahead of Barry? I wouldn't. But Timvp seems to think he'd make a solid back up Power Forward. So maybe I'm wrong...

Grandma is better than Udrih.

And timvp also said he is the best backup power forward when we play small ball. You should learn to read better.

:downspin:

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Devin > Udrih

Pop didn't ever try to turn him into a point guard. He played forward here.

You wouldn't play him ahead of Finley? Do you know how much Finley sucks?

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Grandma is better than Udrih.

And timvp also said he is the best backup power forward when we play small ball. You should learn to read better.

:downspin:

Actually, he didn't say that.

Even if he did, you can't refer to him as a "back up PF". Finley played PF last year too in the playoffs, does that make him a back up power forward? Or does that make him a SG who can play PF when we play small ball?

timvp
01-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Wow.

Are you going to hand in your assistant coach / GM application to the Spurs front office now, or after the season?

Because I told you to go watch a game? :dramaquee

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Pop didn't ever try to turn him into a point guard. He played forward here.

You wouldn't play him ahead of Finley? Do you know how much Finley sucks?

Finley is a proven vet in this league. He was huge for us against the Mavs last year.

What has Brown done? Other than underachieve and get injured. The guy was a decent player at best. Nothing to get a boner over.

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 02:27 AM
Actually, he didn't say that.

Even if he did, you can't refer to him as a "back up PF". Finley played PF last year too in the playoffs, does that make him a back up power forward? Or does that make him a SG who can play PF when we play small ball?

Devin > Udrih, even as a point guard. Devin > Finley and Barry, especially considering what the Spurs need (rebounding, defense and clutch shooting), Devin > anyone the Spurs put at PF during small ball.

Anyway, you can stop with your nonsense.

I think the point of the thread was that our bench sucks :lol

timvp
Devin > Udrih

But that's not saying much. Not to mention in all his time here Pop could never convert him into a true point.

Are you serious? :pctoss

LaMarcus Bryant
I still remember seeing Devin brown's first minutes as a spur, when we signed him to a 15 day contract or somethin

I still remember his first dunk as a spur.

And I remember pop benching his ass for fuckign up.
But I also remember him shutting down Dirk :lol

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Because I told you to go watch a game? :dramaquee

You were funnier when you tried to make fun of me for comparisons I never made.

timvp
01-20-2007, 02:30 AM

Telling you to watch a game in which Devin played power forward came across to you as me trying to be funny?

Why do I even respond . . .

gospursgooo
01-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Devin > Udrih

You wouldn't play Devin ahead of Finley? Hahaha... you're kidding, right? Right?
:lol

THE SIXTH MAN
01-20-2007, 02:33 AM
:lol What a drama queen :dramaquee

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Are you serious? :pctoss

Was it that ridiculous of a statement?

Am I the only one who remembers Devin trying to be used as a back-up PG? He was thought to be a guy who could be a true PG but turned out to be a better 2 or 3....(and 4, apparently).

Now I'm getting paranoid. Tell me somebody else remembers Devin Brown not being all he was cracked up to be as a back-up PG. =/

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 02:36 AM

Am I the only one who remembers Devin trying to be used as a back-up PG? He was thought to be a guy who could be a true PG but turned out to be a better 2 or 3....(and 4, apparently).

Now I'm getting paranoid. Tell me somebody else remembers Devin Brown not being all he was cracked up to be as a back-up PG. =/

Devin was never used as the backup PG. They never tried to convert him to a true point guard. He was used to backup the swingmen and at PF during small ball.

Maybe you don't know who Devin Brown is :lol

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:37 AM
You wouldn't play Devin ahead of Finley? Hahaha... you're kidding, right? Right?

Finley
PPG
RPG
APG
EFF
+ 6.52

Devin
PPG
RPG
APG
EFF
+ 13.00

Keeping in mind Devin Brown's a starter. Playing for a crappy team, where he should be getting alot of playing time/opportunities.

timvp
01-20-2007, 02:37 AM

:lmao :lmao

Devin never played a minute at point guard as a Spur. Not even in summer leagues or in preseason. The Spurs never even thought about making him a point guard.

Hopefully you are just joking around and I missed the joke.

Hopefully.

milkyway21
01-20-2007, 02:38 AM
Maybe you don't know who Devin Brown is :lol:lmao

milkyway21
01-20-2007, 02:42 AM
the team's best backup small forwardright now, I 100% agree with this. Bowen needs heeelp!!!

timvp
01-20-2007, 02:45 AM
Let's see if Please_dont_ban_me can pick Devin Brown out of this photo lineup:

http://www.guntotingliberal.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/sambodman.jpg http://www.tp.edu.sg/tp4u/life/images/chn02.jpg http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/Devin_Brown-arton20887-240x240.jpg http://www.birdchick.com/adventures/rabbit/rabbit-Thumbnails/4.jpghttp://static.flickr.com/47/162088220_89b60c292d_m.jpghttp://www.awolbush.com/images/george_bush_uniform_sm.jpg

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:48 AM
:lmao :lmao

Devin never played a minute at point guard as a Spur. Not even in summer leagues or in preseason. The Spurs never even thought about making him a point guard.

Hopefully you are just joking around and I missed the joke.

Hopefully.

You're telling me Devin Brown never once came off the bench and brought the ball up the floor as a PG?

milkyway21
01-20-2007, 02:49 AM
this thread is getting hilarious right now :lmao

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 02:50 AM
You're telling me Devin Brown never once came off the bench and brought the ball up the floor as a PG?
Even Tim Duncan brings the ball up the floor sometimes. But it doesn't mean that Spurs are trying to convert him to a true point guard and think that's his calling.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 02:53 AM
Even Tim Duncan brings the ball up the floor sometimes. But it doesn't mean that Spurs are trying to convert him to a true point guard and think that's his calling.

No. I mean as a backup PG.

Like, the lineup was never:

Devin
Manu
Bowen
Duncan
Whoever

I wish there were some sort of stat kept for bench players. Contrary to what Timvp thinks, I do keep up with the Spurs.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2007, 02:58 AM
No. I mean as a backup PG.

Like, the lineup was never:

Devin
Manu
Bowen
Duncan
JERMAINE O'NEAL WOOOOOO

I wish there were some sort of stat kept for bench players. Contrary to what Timvp thinks, I do keep up with the Spurs.

Sorry. I can dream.

timvp
01-20-2007, 02:59 AM
I wish there were some sort of stat kept for bench players.

:lmao

Devin never played point guard for the Spurs. Give it up.

Are you sure you've been watching the right Spurs?

http://premierleague.com/en/images/club_normallogos_180x160/tottenham_180.gif

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 03:06 AM

Devin never played point guard for the Spurs. Give it up.

Are you sure you've been watching the right Spurs?

http://premierleague.com/en/images/club_normallogos_180x160/tottenham_180.gif

I don't think I'm wrong.

You can continue to be condescending. I really don't care. When you show me some sort of proof that Devin Brown never once played back-up PG for the Spurs, I'll "give it up".

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 03:07 AM
I disagree with the statement. I think Devin just wasn't going to work here. I don't think he would have been any worse, but TBH no one thought our 2/3s from the bench were going to be the big problem this year. We all knew the back 1 might be an issue, and the 4 spot would more than likely be an issue, but no one was thinking that Devin fit a need.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 03:10 AM
God damn, i meant to post that way earlier in this thread, but I walked away from the computer and by the time I hit enter there was an entire thread. Oh Well.

Either way, I do wish Devin were here right now, but only because I've lost so much hope in Finley. Finley broke my heart.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2007, 03:13 AM
I don't think I'm wrong.

You can continue to be condescending. I really don't care. When you show me some sort of proof that Devin Brown never once played back-up PG for the Spurs, I'll "give it up".

You can't openly say anything you want and then expect people to disprove you and claim you're correct in your assumption otherwise. The burden of proof lies with you. You are the one who claimed he played PG, it is your job to back up that statement if you expect to be taken seriously.

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 03:17 AM
I don't think I'm wrong.

Show proof where the Spurs originally thought PG was his natural position and they spent time and effort trying to convert him into a "true point" and that experiment failed.

That's what your claim was. So that's what you need to find proof of. None of us really care.

It's just funny how you sidetracked this thread with a bunch of nonsense. When the original point was ... Devin's not that good, but he might have been a better option than what we have now. I don't even completely agree with that. But I do agree that the Spurs are hurting at backup point guard, backup swingman, and athletic PF.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 03:19 AM
You can't openly say anything you want and then expect people to disprove you and claim you're correct in your assumption otherwise. The burden of proof lies with you. You are the one who claimed he played PG, it is your job to back up that statement if you expect to be taken seriously.

Unfortunately there's no stat for bench players, in regard to what position they played. Not to mention I simply made a statement (like countless other posters on here who make posts without any sort of 'evidence'). If somebody is to call me an idiot, and say I don't know anything about basketball...one would think the 'burden of proof' is on them to prove there statement.

I already tried the Spurs stats, and Google. There's no way for me to show Devin Brown played minutes at backup PG. But I'm sure it happened. I'm hoping somebody else on here remembers that happening.

timvp
01-20-2007, 03:20 AM
I disagree with the statement. I think Devin just wasn't going to work here. I don't think he would have been any worse, but TBH no one thought our 2/3s from the bench were going to be the big problem this year. We all knew the back 1 might be an issue, and the 4 spot would more than likely be an issue, but no one was thinking that Devin fit a need.

Barry hasn't shown the ability to beat out Devin for playing time when both are healthy. With Barry, Finley and Bowen having a combined age of over 100, you'd think Spurs fans would be open to getting insurance for the minimum. Especially insurance which has proven to be able to play in the Spurs' system and come up big in the playoffs.

I guess not.

Or read this whole thread. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50992) I was begging for the Spurs to sign him.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Or read this whole thread. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50992) I was begging for the Spurs to sign him.

PSH! What do you know TIMVP?

Oh yeah. Crap. :toast

timvp
01-20-2007, 03:27 AM
Unfortunately there's no stat for bench players, in regard to what position they played. Not to mention I simply made a statement (like countless other posters on here who make posts without any sort of 'evidence'). If somebody is to call me an idiot, and say I don't know anything about basketball...one would think the 'burden of proof' is on them to prove there statement.

Check here, buddy: http://www.82games.com/04SAS5C.HTM

Devin Brown never played point guard.

Game over.

Apology Accepted.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 03:30 AM
It's just funny how you sidetracked this thread with a bunch of nonsense. When the original point was ... Devin's not that good, but he might have been a better option than what we have now. I don't even completely agree with that. But I do agree that the Spurs are hurting at backup point guard, backup swingman, and athletic PF.

I sidetracked this thread? My original post was simply:

Timvp gets a kick out of comments like:

Do you even follow basketball?

Let's see if Please_dont_ban_me can pick Devin Brown out of this photo lineup:

My comment was about him not being that great. Your boy chose to take the back-up PG comment and run with it.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 03:32 AM
Ok fair enough. But you have to take this into account as well:

1) Devin had a bad history with the Spurs. He's basically admitted that himself. Its pretty hard to go resign a player that you know didn't put in a good amount of effort and didn't really impress all that much when he was with another team.

2) Just because Devin is doing OK with the Hornets doesn't mean he would have done any better than Finley/Barry here. The situation didn't work for him before, it may not have worked again.

3) Finley and Barry both played well at the end of last year. There was no reason to not expect them to play at a decent level this year. And sometimes Barry has. Finley has sucked ass all year, but don't tell me you expected Finley to be this bad because there is no way I'll believe that.

Add to that that Devin's numbers are really overinflated in NO right now. He's playing OK, but can he maintain it and do that now that he's playing more regular minutes as opposed to just garbage time? I'm not sure yet. All in all with hindsight I definitely wish they had brought him in, but to me that just shows you how far away we are from being a championship team. When you're pining for Devin Brown, something is definitely wrong.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 03:32 AM
PDBM is just a drama queen. We've seen it time and time again.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 03:34 AM
Check here, buddy: http://www.82games.com/04SAS5C.HTM

Devin Brown never played point guard.

Game over.

Apology Accepted.

Fair enough, I was wrong.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 03:34 AM
PDBM is just a drama queen. We've seen it time and time again.

Manny. Really...what does this have to do with you?

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 03:36 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/dramaqueen.gif
Manny. Really...what does this have to do with you?My bad, go back to your private conversation on the internet. Peace.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2007, 03:38 AM
Manny. Really...what does this have to do with you?

You made a post to a public forum claiming to know something you didn't. You're going to catch hell for it. Just sit back, laugh, take everything a little less seriously, and things will look a lot better for you. Promise. :fro

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 03:41 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/dramaqueen.gifMy bad, go back to your private conversation on the internet. Peace.

http://polaris.umuc.edu/~acreed/AMBA606-Toolbox2/commonimages/Photosav/SubwayfranchiseinWien.jpg

^ is your friend.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 03:43 AM
You made a post to a public forum claiming to know something you didn't. You're going to catch hell for it. Just sit back, laugh, take everything a little less seriously, and things will look a lot better for you. Promise. :fro

:D

I don't have a problem being wrong. It's just the way someone goes about saying it that irks me. If he didn't play back up PG, then he didn't play back up PG. Just say that. Putting it in a 'your an idiot' type of format bugs me. Anyways. I was wrong. Sorry for sidetracking the thread.

Cry Havoc
01-20-2007, 03:44 AM
That's what I'm saying. If you have a problem being called an idiot.... stay far, far away from the net, cause it's gonna happen, deserved or not.

timvp
01-20-2007, 03:45 AM
Ok fair enough. But you have to take this into account as well:

1) Devin had a bad history with the Spurs. He's basically admitted that himself. Its pretty hard to go resign a player that you know didn't put in a good amount of effort and didn't really impress all that much when he was with another team.

2) Just because Devin is doing OK with the Hornets doesn't mean he would have done any better than Finley/Barry here. The situation didn't work for him before, it may not have worked again.

3) Finley and Barry both played well at the end of last year. There was no reason to not expect them to play at a decent level this year. And sometimes Barry has. Finley has sucked ass all year, but don't tell me you expected Finley to be this bad because there is no way I'll believe that.

Add to that that Devin's numbers are really overinflated in NO right now. He's playing OK, but can he maintain it and do that now that he's playing more regular minutes as opposed to just garbage time? I'm not sure yet. All in all with hindsight I definitely wish they had brought him in, but to me that just shows you how far away we are from being a championship team. When you're pining for Devin Brown, something is definitely wrong.

1) True. However, we are talking about a minimum contract. He messes up once, you cut him. Plus this was after a year of playing under Jerry Sloan. He doesn't put up with slacking.

2) I don't agree. In 2005, Brown had beaten out Barry as the team's backup swingman. The only reason he lost the job was due to injury. He put up better stats that year than Finley or Barry did last year.

3) The Spurs entered the year with an old, old swingman rotation. As I said in that thread, it was a huge risk. Barry, Finley and Bowen are all closer to retirement than their prime. To protect yourself from one or more of those players having an off year due to injury or age was the obvious thing to do. Especially when the insurance option costs as much as James White.

And Devin is averaging 14 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists as a starter. Coming into this game, the Hornets were undefeated with him starting at point guard ... and that's with Paul, Peja, West, BJax, etc. injured. I don't think it's fair to Devin to insinuate that his production has come in garbage minutes.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 03:53 AM
http://polaris.umuc.edu/%7Eacreed/AMBA606-Toolbox2/commonimages/Photosav/SubwayfranchiseinWien.jpg

^ is your friend.Well, that may very well be the case, but I guess another way I could lose weight would be to have no balls like you. Poor PDBM, have you picked out your Wedding Dress yet?

http://jennie6987.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/neutered.jpg

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 03:58 AM
1) True. However, we are talking about a minimum contract. He messes up once, you cut him. Plus this was after a year of playing under Jerry Sloan. He doesn't put up with slacking.

2) I don't agree. In 2005, Brown had beaten out Barry as the team's backup swingman. The only reason he lost the job was due to injury. He put up better stats that year than Finley or Barry did last year.

3) The Spurs entered the year with an old, old swingman rotation. As I said in that thread, it was a huge risk. Barry, Finley and Bowen are all closer to retirement than their prime. To protect yourself from one or more of those players having an off year due to injury or age was the obvious thing to do. Especially when the insurance option costs as much as James White.

And Devin is averaging 14 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists as a starter. Coming into this game, the Hornets were undefeated with him starting at point guard ... and that's with Paul, Peja, West, BJax, etc. injured. I don't think it's fair to Devin to insinuate that his production has come in garbage minutes.Those are fair points. Its sad that its not even the ASB and there are so many glaring holes and no way to fix them.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 03:59 AM
Well, that may very well be the case, but I guess another way I could lose weight would be to have no balls like you. Poor PDBM, have you picked out your Wedding Dress yet?

http://jennie6987.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/neutered.jpg

No balls? You're going to have to elaborate on that one for me, tubby.

If you're sincerely looking to lose weight, not swallowing down sausage at meets is probably a good start. Please refrain from checking out my package. Thanks.

polandprzem
01-20-2007, 04:00 AM
Typical timp thread :rolleyes

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2007, 04:01 AM
To stay on topic for a second, is this even realistic?

Is there a fair chance of him ending up in a Spurs jersey, despite the Spurs saying 'thanks but no thanks' earlier in the season? Also...how much is he making right now with the Hornets?

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 04:05 AM
To stay on topic for a second, is this even realistic?

Is there a fair chance of him ending up in a Spurs jersey, despite the Spurs saying 'thanks but no thanks' earlier in the season? Also...how much is he making right now with the Hornets?

No chance; the Spurs aren't interested. He makes the minimum.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 04:15 AM
No balls? You're going to have to elaborate on that one for me, tubby.

If you're sincerely looking to lose weight, not swallowing down sausage at meets is probably a good start. Please refrain from checking out my package. Thanks.Checking out your package? :lol

I just figured your constant whining was sign you might be missing your balls.

BeerIsGood!
01-20-2007, 04:17 AM
No chance; the Spurs aren't interested. He makes the minimum.

Besides Mags and SJax, who is a legitimate possible contender for youth and/or athleticism at the backup 2 or 3 for this season? I can't think of many scenarios where the Spurs go into the playoffs with anything different than what they have right now.

polandprzem
01-20-2007, 04:19 AM
Well maybe we should start a thread about bringing back Gervin, Robinson, Elliott, Gilmore and others?

Worth thinking

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 04:19 AM
Besides Mags and SJax, who is a legitimate possible contender for youth and/or athleticism at the backup 2 or 3 for this season? I can't think of many scenarios where the Spurs go into the playoffs with anything different than what they have right now.

If the Warriors are keeping SJax, maybe Matt Barnes (I don't think GS is keeping five swingmen).

Maybe Travis Outlaw (there's a thread where a publication said the Spurs are talking to the Blazers about him).

Damien Wilkins in on the block in Seattle, but I don't think he's an upgrade really, other than younger legs.

Hmm.. I'll have to think.

Kori Ellis
01-20-2007, 04:20 AM
Well maybe we should start a thread about bringing back Gervin, Robinson, Elliott, Gilmore and others?

Worth thinking

Umm.. This thread isn't about bringing back DBrown. It's about how DBrown isn't that good but he might be better than what we have. It's a statement about our bench; it's not saying they should bring him back.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 04:21 AM
FWIW, Mullin sounds like he wants to keep Jax, so I don't think he's going to be available.

SpursWoman
01-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Maybe you don't know who Devin Brown is :lol

I think he might be confusing him with Antonio Daniels. :spin

ArgSpursFan
01-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Finley is a proven vet in this league. He was huge for us against the Mavs last year.

What has Brown done? Other than underachieve and get injured. The guy was a decent player at best. Nothing to get a boner over.

Brown=Good D.
Finley=NO D. AT ALL

Russ
01-20-2007, 10:33 AM
It is a great mystery why the Spurs did not sign him. Sometimes the best things to do are the easiest -- Brown was right there for the taking.

One thing's for sure -- he's quick enough to grab a long rebound and he can create some havoc out there (for which team sometimes varies).

ploto
01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I think he might be confusing him with Antonio Daniels. :spin
Or I was thinking Alex Garcia.

And for the record, I have never believed that the Spurs really had any concern about his back. I think that was a publicly acceptable excuse to placate the local fans.

The question I have is- if Beno has the same work habits as Devin, then why did the Spurs pick up his option but not want Devin for the minimum? Do they really think he makes good trade bait to package with another contract?

ploto
01-20-2007, 11:51 AM
It is a great mystery why the Spurs did not sign him. Sometimes the best things to do are the easiest -- Brown was right there for the taking.
Sometimes I think that the Spurs get a player and have in their minds what they are going to turn him into. When that does not happen, they cut him loose, not really examining whether or not they used the guy properly. What I mean is- they have a system and plug players into it even if they are trying to put a square peg into a round hole. For example, the Spurs repeatedly bring in guys who they want to have camp out at the three-point line- even if that has not been their game. Hedo was always more of a slasher, and even though he tried really hard to fill that role because he was about the closest thing the Spurs had to a pure shooter, it really was not his strength at all. The same with Brent Barry. The guy is at his best with the ball in his hands, but they bring him in and want him to do the whole camping out at the three-point line bit. Again, he is probably the best pure shooter they have, but it has been apparent from day one that he plays his best with the ball in his hands and contributes more to the overall sucess of the team that way. But you saw how quickly Hedo was gotten rid off- and how soon they started trying to trade Barry- because neither became the next Steve Kerr. All I kept hearing about Devin was that he wasn't good enough to be the next Bruce Bowen, so I guess the Spurs thought they would move forward with that search- which for the record still hasn't produced anyone even close to Devin- yet alone Bruce.

Bruno
01-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I disagree with that statement.
Devin Brown FG% is 36% and he is playing for one of the worst team in the league (Hornets are 5-9 with Devin, that is to say 29 win on the season). :lol

Barry is a better backup SG/SF than Brown.
With Elson and Bonner, Spurs need less to play small ball than last year. Spurs have mainly play small this year when big men were injured. Evne if Brown is a better small ball PF than Finley, he isn't a very good one.

Bruno
01-20-2007, 12:05 PM
The question I have is- if Beno has the same work habits as Devin, then why did the Spurs pick up his option but not want Devin for the minimum? Do they really think he makes good trade bait to package with another contract?

Beno has ten times more upside than Brown who is a 6'3" SG.
Even if this year : Brown > Beno, Beno at 100% >>> Brown at 100%.

wildbill2u
01-20-2007, 12:24 PM
1) True. However, we are talking about a minimum contract. He messes up once, you cut him. Plus this was after a year of playing under Jerry Sloan. He doesn't put up with slacking.But the point of the article was that Devin grew up outside of SA and learned how to be a pro with the right work ethic... In reality, he had a lot of the same issues at Utah and that's why Sloan got rid of him.

He may be one of those players who takes a longer time to figure out how to be a pro and match his talents to the game and to a team. It happens occasionally with players like Bowen, but most often with marginal players they bounce around and wind up playing overseas or hopefully become gainfully employed elsewhere.

As far as his play goes, his stats at NO are padded because he's getting more time because of injuries. In fact, he's now shooting at career lows percentagewise (.364 and .305 vs .409 and .346) and his percentages were never good although he got a lot of layups.

I

TwoHandJam
01-20-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't really agree with the statement. I think Barry makes a better backup point than Devin and even though I don't have much data on Bonner, what I've seen from him tells me he'd make a better backup PF.

I will give you that our bench sucks though....

SequSpur
01-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I call for Devin Brown the day he left UTSA, I call for Devin Brown when he won the USBL player of the year, I call for Devin Brown for the entire 05-06 year and now.. and then Timvp starts a thread like its his idea.....

Welcome to the bandwagon. :pctoss...

BeerIsGood!
01-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Even if this year : Brown > Beno, Beno at 100% >>> Brown at 100%.

The question is: Will Beno ever be playing at anywhere near 100% ever again?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I've never looked at Devin Brown with the same homerism that some Spurs fans did. Perhaps, had I known his UTSA history I would have been a believer.

But I think Timvp's original point was a valid one. Even with my assessment of him being merely average as far as NBA talent goes, I think he's playing better than anyone else coming off our bench this year.

Our bench...in spite of having some big names on it (Finley, Horry, Barry) stinks this season, so far.

Bruno
01-20-2007, 04:05 PM
The question is: Will Beno ever be playing at anywhere near 100% ever again?

Only Beno knows :depressed

On thing is sure : it's less likely than four months ago when spurs picked his option.

1Parker1
01-20-2007, 04:19 PM

I don't know if he'd be the team's best backup PG, though admittedly I've never seen him play the PG spot so I may be biased. I would think that if Pop gave Manu/Barry more backup time there when Parker rests, one of them would be the best back up PG.

I do know that Devin Brown would probably have been a bigger help against Dallas last series and perhaps even this season. I'd rather have him in there when Pop decides to go small than Michael Finley. Brown rebounds better and defends better and I think he has the speed to stay with Dirk.

I haven't seen many Hornets games this season. Have they played the Mavs yet? If so, how did Devin Brown fare against them?

timvp
01-20-2007, 05:06 PM
I disagree with that statement.

I hope you would, considering you were the person most against bringing back Devin in the first place. I would hope that you stuck to your guns. But your love for Finley and Beno isn't looking so hot now, is it?

Devin Brown FG% is 36% and he is playing for one of the worst team in the league

Take out his first two games when he walked off the street and into major minutes with the Hornets where he went 1-11 and he's shooting 40%. And the fact that it's for one of the worst teams in the league makes it more impressive. Imagine what percentage Bruce Bowen would shoot if he were the main offensive weapon ... or your boy Michael Finley for that matter :lol

(Hornets are 5-9 with Devin, that is to say 29 win on the season). :lol

And coming into the game against the Spurs, Devin had led the team to three straight wins as the starting point guard. And this is a team without Chris Paul, Peja Stojakovic, David West and Bobby Jackson. Only a hater wouldn't be impressed.

Barry is a better backup SG/SF than Brown.

Uh, yeah, then what happen in 2005? Brown beat out Barry for the backup job. The only reason Barry "won" it back was because Kevin Willis decided to pick up and throw Devin in the shower.

With Elson and Bonner, Spurs need less to play small ball than last year. Spurs have mainly play small this year when big men were injured.

Other than Game 1 of the season, I can't remember a game in which the Spurs didn't play small ball for a part of the game. On paper the Spurs should be playing small ball less, but tell that to Pop.

Evne if Brown is a better small ball PF than Finley, he isn't a very good one.

So he's an improvement over what the Spurs have but you didn't want him for the minimum?

:dizzy

timvp
01-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Maybe the Spurs can win the Upside Championship this year :rollin

ALVAREZ6
01-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I agree with the statement and I really didn't like it when the Spurs dropped him to Utah. Devin Brown was a young, solid role player.

But then again, even though Barry is no star himself, he has given the Spurs clutch shooting in the playoffs. He's shooting really well this season from behind the arc this year. He's not the best defensive player but you can't say that he doesn't help at all.

ALVAREZ6
01-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't know if he'd be the team's best backup PG, though admittedly I've never seen him play the PG spot so I may be biased. I would think that if Pop gave Manu/Barry more backup time there when Parker rests, one of them would be the best back up PG.

Barry, maybe. But I think LJ was excluding all starters by default. Manu isn't bad at all at dishing the rock but he's a starter and therefor not really a backup PG.

objective
01-20-2007, 05:18 PM
If a slacking Devin Brown beat out Brent Barry for a job in the rotation last time he was on the team, the Spurs should have at least taken a look at a post Jerry Sloan version of Devin.

that's the most correct thing ever posted. He owned Barry in the rotation, and people forget just how good he was playing before the back injury. I believe in the 8 games including and prior to the injury he averaged 15 points and 6 rebounds off the bench, after having a very good year already.

Bruno
01-20-2007, 06:17 PM
But your love for Finley and Beno isn't looking so hot now, is it?

I don't see the link with Devin Brown. I don't like Finley, I've jsut said that eh wasn't that bad in december. I like Udrih and the way he plays when he decides to play.
BTW, you can like a player even if he sucks, scrubs are likeable too. Remember Theron Smith.

And the fact that it's for one of the worst teams in the league makes it more impressive.

So puting good stats on a bad team is harder than a good team. :spin

Uh, yeah, then what happen in 2005? Brown beat out Barry for the backup job. The only reason Barry "won" it back was because Kevin Willis decided to pick up and throw Devin in the shower.

It was before his back injury. He has been quite bad since it.

Other than Game 1 of the season, I can't remember a game in which the Spurs didn't play small ball for a part of the game. On paper the Spurs should be playing small ball less, but tell that to Pop.

Spurs have played 3.3 min per game in a small ball configuration in November and 3.9 min in december. It's quite few.

So he's an improvement over what the Spurs have but you didn't want him for the minimum?
:dizzy

I rather sign another player for the min if Spurs want to have a small ball PF. Some D leaguer are likely better small ball PF than Devin.

Maybe the Spurs can win the Upside Championship this year :rollin

Like it or not but some of Spurs moves are based on upside and not on immediate help.
That's why they have signed White over players like Brown.
Spurs spend money on Udrih and White because they have the upside to be good nba players.
I've just explained why Spurs have picked Beno option and not spend money on Brown without saying if I agree or not with that.

MannyIsGod
01-20-2007, 06:18 PM
And for the record, I have never believed that the Spurs really had any concern about his back. I think that was a publicly acceptable excuse to placate the local fans.
The organization doesn't have press releases to placate the fans, the fans just assume things on their own.

BeerIsGood!
01-20-2007, 09:40 PM
I must have missed the whole "kevin willis throwing devin in the shower" thing back in '05. What happened? A shower fight?

objective
01-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I must have missed the whole "kevin willis throwing devin in the shower" thing back in '05. What happened? A shower fight?

You missed it because it didn't happen in 2005, it happened in the 03/04 season. Willis wasn't even on the team in 2005.

People are confusing the rib injury Brown got horsing around with Willis in '04 with the back injury he suffered on court in 2005.

GrandeDavid
01-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Interesting, LJ. The sad thing is on a fairly recent Pop show, Popovich, himself, strongly rejected the possibility of Devin coming back. What the hell happened!? I never would've considered Devin a cancer, and I know he had a back back and all, but I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt and a second chance...but ONLY a second chance. See if he really has grown up. He's definitely got youth.

Mr. Body
01-21-2007, 04:06 PM
It's amazing what playing for a shitty team can do for your stats.

Devin Brown does well for a crappy NO/OK team. Suddenly he's better than our entire bench.

Stephen Jackson puts up nice numbers for a dismal GSW team. Suddenly he's a basketball god and would obviously be able to do the same for the Spurs.

This guy Conroy puts up amazing numbers in a third rate league like the NBDL, suddenly he's better than Beno Udrih.

It's amazing no one here has gotten the call to work for anyone's front office, isn't it?

timvp
01-21-2007, 04:59 PM
You missed it because it didn't happen in 2005, it happened in the 03/04 season. Willis wasn't even on the team in 2005.

People are confusing the rib injury Brown got horsing around with Willis in '04 with the back injury he suffered on court in 2005.

Yeah true, my bad. I mixed up the season ending injuries :dizzy

Here were Devin's 8 games prior to getting injured in 2005:

NJ - 22 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists
PHX - 13 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals
DEN - 15 points, 7 rebounds
NO - 8 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds
MIN - 7 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists
CHA - 15 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists
DET - 18 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
NY - 22 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist

The Spurs would kill for that type of production off the bench from a swingman. If Barry or Finley could even do half that, the Spurs would probably have four or five fewer losses on the year.

timvp
01-21-2007, 05:07 PM
It's amazing what playing for a shitty team can do for your stats.

Devin Brown does well for a crappy NO/OK team. Suddenly he's better than our entire bench.

Stephen Jackson puts up nice numbers for a dismal GSW team. Suddenly he's a basketball god and would obviously be able to do the same for the Spurs.

This guy Conroy puts up amazing numbers in a third rate league like the NBDL, suddenly he's better than Beno Udrih.

It's amazing no one here has gotten the call to work for anyone's front office, isn't it?

1) That crappy NO/OK team is 4-1 with Devin as the starting point guard.

2) The Pacers are worse than Golden State. Both are hovering around .500, but the Warriors are in a much harder conference. You put Indiana in the West and they are battling it out with Memphis.

3) If Beno didn't have a contract with the Spurs, he'd go back to being the backup point guard on some Russian team or wherever the Spurs found him. Beno has regressed to the point that he wouldn't even dominate the NBDL and there's no way he'd be starting for a Euroleague team.

timvp
02-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Bump.

In Devin's last eight games, he's averaging 15 points per game while shooting 50% from the field and 49% from beyond the arc. He has scored in double figures in 14 straight games. He's hit at least one three-pointer in 13 of those 14 games. He's averaging more rebounds than anyone on the Spurs outside of Duncan. He's averaging more assists than anyone on the Spurs outside of Parker.

Devin Brown on the Spurs right now would probably be starting and would be a huge key to this team. Brown starting with Manu off the bench would make this team so much better than it is.

Such a got damn shame.

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

Mr. Body
02-02-2007, 02:56 AM
He's been playing well. Color me surprised.

timvp
02-02-2007, 03:02 AM
I'm happy for Devin that he's playing so well, but it pisses me off as a Spurs fan. How did they not at least give him a non-guaranteed look? I know he was lazy in his last stint with the Spurs, but what would it have hurt to have one final look at him?

It's not a stretch at all to say Devin is playing at a higher level than anyone on the Spurs outside of the Big Three.