PDA

View Full Version : Spurs became a 3 men Orchestra

ArgSpursFan
01-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I donīt know how you all feel about it,but I feel like we are specting too much for our big three,by blaming Parker for not being a clutch player(including my self)and Timmy and Manu by not being in their best shape yet.

the thing is that the team has became a 3 men orchestra,thereīs no help from the bench,our big men are not being consistents(elson,Oberto,Bonner)+Beno is getting worse every second,and barry and Finley,well theyīre just too old and slow to guard quick perimetrals and to drive to the hoop,+Bowen is hurting the team at the ofence,and Heīs not the same bowen from 2 or 3 yrs ago.
So I have the feelin that we are only playing with 3 guys out there,while the rest of the .500 or + records teams play with 5 guys on a floor+ a bench that gives at least 25 pts p/game.
I guess Tony,Manu and timmy are gonna have to play like Jordan in his best moments to have a chance this year.

Hopefully a Trade or something can change the face and the spirit of the Spurs this year.

bigfan
01-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I think you are pretty much on target, though I think Elson is ok but if Bowen cant start hitting his 3's, he needs to go. Bones is doing that "too afraid to take an open shot" again, Horry and Finley are done, Udrih stinks, Oberto, Bonner, Williams, and Vaughan are spares and Butler and White are still just prospects. I say keep the big three, the two prospects and Elson and everybody else goes as trades are available or at the end of the season.

ArgSpursFan
01-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I think you are pretty much on target, though I think Elson is ok but if Bowen cant start hitting his 3's, he needs to go. Bones is doing that "too afraid to take an open shot" again, Horry and Finley are done, Udrih stinks, Oberto, Bonner, Williams, and Vaughan are spares and Butler and White are still just prospects. I say keep the big three, the two prospects and Elson and everybody else goes as trades are available or at the end of the season.

I though of Francis and I got some positive feedback in the forum, I think he can be usefull if he growes up and decides to win a championship

SenorSpur
01-20-2007, 01:05 PM
The 3-man orchestra is not to blame here. It is Pop and R.C. who are to blame here. It's their responsibility to surround these guys with enough of a well-rounded array of talent, skill and age so this team can continue to contend for a title while Duncan is around.

We've been very fortunate to have had back-to-back franchise players in Robinson and Duncan. Once Duncan leaves, there's a good chance we don't get another one right away. If that happens, it's hello medocrity.

This fact alone dictates that management should do whatever is necessary (even unass a few more mil) to ensure this team is at least title-ready every season during the Duncan era. Of course, I'm not suggesting spending money unwisely or throwing good money after bad. In fact, they've done a very good job of managing salary structures on this team for years.

However by allowing this roster to wither and decline, and at the same time passing on other younger, cheaper talent (Josh Howard, Leandro Barbosa) that could have helped improve and balance out the roster, they have failed miserably in this area. They've shirked their management responsibility and I curse them for it.

We'll find out over the next several weeks if they can save face and acquire at least 1 player that can give them an upgrade over the crap they have on the bench now.

v2freak
01-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Maybe trade one of the big 3 for 2-3 solid players. We've seen that a core of really good players surrounded by lesser players (04 Lakers) don't fare well.

ArgSpursFan
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
The 3-man orchestra is not to blame here. It is Pop and R.C. who are to blame here. It's their responsibility to surround these guys with enough of a well-rounded array of talent, skill and age so this team can continue to contend for a title while Duncan is around.

We've been very fortunate to have had back-to-back franchise players in Robinson and Duncan. Once Duncan leaves, there's a good chance we don't get another one right away. If that happens, it's hello medocrity.

This fact alone dictates that management should do whatever is necessary (even unass a few more mil) to ensure this team is at least title-ready every season during the Duncan era. Of course, I'm not suggesting spending money unwisely or throwing good money after bad. In fact, they've done a very good job of managing salary structures on this team for years.

However by allowing this roster to wither and decline, and at the same time passing on other younger, cheaper talent (Josh Howard, Leandro Barbosa) that could have helped improve and balance out the roster, they have failed miserably in this area. They've shirked their management responsibility and I curse them for it.

We'll find out over the next several weeks if they can save face and acquire at least 1 player that can give them an upgrade over the crap they have on the bench now.

What about Steve Francis?

ArgSpursFan
01-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Maybe trade one of the big 3 for 2-3 solid players. We've seen that a core of really good players surrounded by lesser players (04 Lakers) don't fare well.

who would you trade out of the big three?.
Manu,tony or Timmy?

nkdlunch
01-20-2007, 04:20 PM
I think it's unbeleivable that we have such close games vs. Dallas, and we give them a good fight everytime. We are basically playing 3 on 5 + their bench.

When we play Dallas our big three are awesome(of course w/the help of Bowen's D)

I cannot be more proud of those 4 players everytime we play Dallas. The rest of the Spurs are shit.

sprrs
01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
It's lack of motivation. The big three all rarely show up at the same time. When they all play at their best, it motivates the rest of the players to try that much harder.

objective
01-20-2007, 04:50 PM
it's a lot like when some of Robinson's prime years were wasted by surrounding him with bums like Sydney Green, Negele Knight, Charles Smith I, Carl Herrera, JR Reid . . .

Your stars will keep you in games, your role players will win you games most of the time.

Look at game 7 against Dallas last year. DeSegana Diop was knocking down jumpshots! Dallas's role players stepped up; Spurs role players laid down like old dogs.

Steve Kerr was a role player who would step up and win games as another example.

People will blame Duncan/Manu/Parker like they blamed Robinson/Elliott because that's the easy thing to do.

mardigan
01-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Is it to much to ask the big 3 to average 60 points combined? I dont think so, and if Duncan doesnt get his scoring up we are screwed. Our bench isnt the same, so the big 3 have to step up, who else is going to pick up the slack? Finleys done, and Barry cant keep himself on the floor, so who does that leave us with? Ginobli and Parker need to be more consistent, and Duncan needs to average 22 plus, thats all we need. And maybe Ming Bateer

v2freak
01-20-2007, 06:30 PM
who would you trade out of the big three?.
Manu,tony or Timmy?

My willingness to trade would be in this order:

1.) Ginobili
-injury prone
-inconsistent throughout the course of a game
-29 years old

2.) Parker
-ball hog at times
-disappearing act in 4th quarter
-still very young

3.) Duncan

SenorSpur
01-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I think it's unbeleivable that we have such close games vs. Dallas, and we give them a good fight everytime. We are basically playing 3 on 5 + their bench.

When we play Dallas our big three are awesome(of course w/the help of Bowen's D)

I cannot be more proud of those 4 players everytime we play Dallas. The rest of the Spurs are shit.

For that you can most certainly thank the head coach and G.M. They've surrounding the three basically with some garbage and now the trash is just starting to stink.

itzsoweezee
01-21-2007, 12:55 AM
the one upside is that the defense has gotten a little better. the problem now is the offense. when bowen is not hitting it's always a long game ahead. hopefully when elson comes back, he'll be given a lot of playing time b/c he can score around the basket. otherwise, they've got no shot. it's impossible to win playing 3 on 5 against the elite teams.

i still don't understand why popovich is so insistent on spreading all these minutes around. through half a season, it should be clear who can contribute and who can't. they really need to shorten the rotation up b/c when some of these second unit guys come in, the spurs melt down. so the choice is, really, play parker 40 minutes a game or settle for the 4 or 5 seed. since parker's young, i don't see the problem with him playing a lot.

Windbush
01-21-2007, 10:40 AM
- I agree that the big three need to have good games at the same time consistently. Two out of the three exerting there will on games should be expected every game.
- Bench needs to be able to fill in as supporting cast or have big games when big three are down. Beno hasn't shown me anything. I like Barry and Finley, but they need to be able to come in and play big three-like off the bench. Playing cold off the bench is not a good excuse.
- The three and five become liabilities if they don't provide offense. Opposing teams can easily focus only on the big three and defenses become easier. Understand that they are supporting casts, but if they can't score they need to shut down their player defensively (i.e. Rodman) or rebound big. Also no reason why a quick Parker or Ginobili can't guard opposing teams 1 or 2 instead of having to use Bowen and thereby exasperating match up problems.
- Duncan is actually a liability (dare I say soft) if he can't dominate a small-ball 4 or 5 defending him. I've noticed that his quickness has declined over the years. Yes, the guys he dishes to off the double teams need to be more consistent on the three point play. If they are not going to play small ball, then Duncan has to be able to offensively dominate their "center" to force the opposing team to go big or double team more.
- Also don't like the fact that Duncan is always guarding the slower of the two between the opposing 4 and 5. No reason defensively why he can't be better against either a post-up big like Shaq/Amare or shooting big like Dirk. You can't suck at both. I'll concede that his team defense guarding the baseline is great, but who one-on-one can he shutdown in the NBA's man-to-man league? Duncan has to be able to guard the big when playing small ball teams like the Suns (Amare) or Mavs (Dirk) otherwise he becomes a liability if he is not killing them offensively.

ArgSpursFan
01-22-2007, 07:16 AM

I agree with that,No doubt the bring it every game.We just need some help out there

ArgSpursFan
01-22-2007, 07:22 AM
- I agree that the big three need to have good games at the same time consistently. Two out of the three exerting there will on games should be expected every game.
- Bench needs to be able to fill in as supporting cast or have big games when big three are down. Beno hasn't shown me anything. I like Barry and Finley, but they need to be able to come in and play big three-like off the bench. Playing cold off the bench is not a good excuse.
- The three and five become liabilities if they don't provide offense. Opposing teams can easily focus only on the big three and defenses become easier. Understand that they are supporting casts, but if they can't score they need to shut down their player defensively (i.e. Rodman) or rebound big. Also no reason why a quick Parker or Ginobili can't guard opposing teams 1 or 2 instead of having to use Bowen and thereby exasperating match up problems.
- Duncan is actually a liability (dare I say soft) if he can't dominate a small-ball 4 or 5 defending him. I've noticed that his quickness has declined over the years. Yes, the guys he dishes to off the double teams need to be more consistent on the three point play. If they are not going to play small ball, then Duncan has to be able to offensively dominate their "center" to force the opposing team to go big or double team more.
- Also don't like the fact that Duncan is always guarding the slower of the two between the opposing 4 and 5. No reason defensively why he can't be better against either a post-up big like Shaq/Amare or shooting big like Dirk. You can't suck at both. I'll concede that his team defense guarding the baseline is great, but who one-on-one can he shutdown in the NBA's man-to-man league? Duncan has to be able to guard the big when playing small ball teams like the Suns (Amare) or Mavs (Dirk) otherwise he becomes a liability if he is not killing them offensively.

You think Scola could be a good contribution for the team next year,to play against quikers powers forwards,and let timmy get their center?

Pero
01-22-2007, 07:57 AM
-still very young

LOL, that is a reason to trade him?

Windbush
01-22-2007, 01:28 PM
You think Scola could be a good contribution for the team next year,to play against quikers powers forwards,and let timmy get their center?

I'd like to say yes, but I honestly haven't seen him play much to give you a good answer. I love Timmy to death, but I'm wondering if there are inherent match-up problems that will never be fully accomplished except by dominating on the other side of the ball.

ArgSpursFan
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I'd like to say yes, but I honestly haven't seen him play much to give you a good answer. I love Timmy to death, but I'm wondering if there are inherent match-up problems that will never be fully accomplished except by dominating on the other side of the ball.

Well,the guy is considered the Best player in Euroleague right now by the european press+Dirk never pasted 25 pts against him,when germany played against Argentina,and thats been going on for at least 4 years now.I think thats a good resume from him to bring him down to SA

Windbush
01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Well,the guy is considered the Best player in Euroleague right now by the european press+Dirk never pasted 25 pts against him,when germany played against Argentina,and thats been going on for at least 4 years now.I think thats a good resume from him to bring him down to SA

That is good news. Why do you think the Spurs are so willing to let Scola go? Salary demands? Inexperience?

ArgSpursFan
01-22-2007, 05:59 PM
That is good news. Why do you think the Spurs are so willing to let Scola go? Salary demands? Inexperience?

Honestly,I donīt know.Salary demands?I canīt be.heīs a 3 M/year player,Inexperience,donīt think so,he is more experienced on guarding NBA players tham any roockie or even a 2nd or 3rd. year player+Heīs done pretty well against Dirk on even Timmy,in the last Olympics games.
I just think the spurīs GM or Pop,are just not seeing the whole picture.They didnīt sign him last year and them brought Bonner,Elson and even Oberto,who I think is not making the impact they thought he was going to.

v2freak
01-22-2007, 10:09 PM
LOL, that is a reason to trade him?

LOL it's a reason to not have him be first choice trade bait

SequSpur
01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
This team has one player. Tony Parker. The best player on the team and the only reason the spurs have the record they have.

Pero
01-23-2007, 05:01 AM
LOL it's a reason to not have him be first choice trade bait

Ok hahah, now that makes sense. :)

wildbill2u
01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Look at all the great teams of the past. They always had at least two or possibly three great players--with a solid support group at the other two positions and a good bench. The starting five play most of the minutes so their contribution is magnified over that of the bench.

Basketball is a game where teams can dominate with a couple of great players. But you must have the support on the starting team from the other two positions--and right now, when our two-headed center and Bowen score and rebound well, we win.

Bowen is a rebounding liability at his position compared to most teams. When Bowen isn't scoring and the center position doesn't play well, we lose. It's a matter of a very few points or rebounds, but those supporting players are crucial.

ArgSpursFan
01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Look at all the great teams of the past. They always had at least two or possibly three great players--with a solid support group at the other two positions and a good bench. The starting five play most of the minutes so their contribution is magnified over that of the bench.

Basketball is a game where teams can dominate with a couple of great players. But you must have the support on the starting team from the other two positions--and right now, when our two-headed center and Bowen score and rebound well, we win.

Bowen is a rebounding liability at his position compared to most teams. When Bowen isn't scoring and the center position doesn't play well, we lose. It's a matter of a very few points or rebounds, but those supporting players are crucial.

You think elson being injuried had something to do?Cause Oberto is doing what he can,but donīt ask him for more,he can be a decent buckup power forward tham a center in my opinion,and Bruce,well he is 35 now,so Iīd say he has a year or two at the most left.And them you have 35 ys old Finley in the bench and 37 ys old horry and 33(i think)yrs old Barry.

v2freak
01-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Ok hahah, now that makes sense. :)

He has a lot of upside; besides, the Spurs have invested a lot in him already

Agloco
01-23-2007, 06:21 PM
I think the Spurs are willing to let go of Scola because of their French project Ian Mahinmi.

This kid is a stud and he will be the answer to our needs at center next year or the following.

Granted Scola and Mahinmi dont play the same position but Mahinmi has the ability to play the 4 or 5 if need be......

Time to take out the garbage as they say. The bench and center position are why the Spurs look mortal this year.

Anyone know where Keon Clark wound up this year? He was high on my list when I first saw him.....