PDA

View Full Version : The latest from ESPN's rumor mill...

spurschick
01-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Seeking Mohammed
Jan 20 - The Warriors are discussing a trade with the Detroit Pistons involving center Nazr Mohammed, a person familiar with the talks confirmed on condition of anonymity.
The source said Detroit has inquired about Warriors combo guard Monta Ellis, recently acquired point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius, swingman Mickael Pietrus and forward Matt Barnes. -- Contra Costa Times

Golden State has apparently expressed interest in Mohammed, though Pistons president Joe Dumars said he has not had a conversation with the Warriors. -- Detroit News

Like almost everybody else, the Nets made a perfunctory call to Detroit to inquire about Nazr Mohammed in the past two days. And like almost everybody else, they had nothing the Pistons want in exchange.
It was believed that the Nets offered Jason Collins, and the Pistons said no thanks. -- Newark Star-Ledger

Not Available?
Jan 20 - The calls about Jason Kidd's availability have dwindled in recent days, once word spread around the league that the Nets aren't interested in moving him.
Two reasons: They are now convinced there are only two or three teams in the league that can put together an adequate package for one of the NBA's hottest players, and they have also reached the conclusion that there is no logical deal for Kidd that doesn't lead to a rebuilding/bust-it-up scenario. -- Newark Star-Ledger

When a person close to Kidd said on Friday, "He would love to end his career" as a Net, it showed where Kidd's head is amid his troubled personal life.
One team source said the chances of Kidd being traded "are very, very slim." Another said, "If anything, his name has been taken out of talks."

In fact, since Kidd's divorce became public, management has gone to him and told him they support him, multiple sources said. -- Bergen Record

AK Fires Back
Jan 20 - Andrei Kirilenko on Friday deftly deflected disparaging remarks made Thursday by Jazz owner Larry H. Miller.
"I understand Larry, and I'm very respectful to him, because he's really a guy who's worried about the team," Kirilenko said. "And, I actually worry about the team. And I don't want to become a player who don't give a (care) about anything what's going ... just take your paycheck, go home. I worry about it. That's why I worry about my game."

Jazz coach Jerry Sloan did some rejecting of his own Friday. "We're not looking to trade anybody," he said. -- Deseret Morning News

Not A Match
Jan 20 - Bernie Bickerstaff confirmed to the Charlotte Observer that he talked to the Los Angeles Clippers about Corey Maggette's availability, but there didn't seem to be a match.
Bickerstaff asked if the Clippers were interested in the first-round pick the Toronto Raptors owe the Bobcats.

The Clippers indicated they'd also want another small forward, and that seemed like too high a price. -- Charlotte Observer

X-Factor
Jan 20 - To those who follow the NBA closely, he's the most intriguing.
Ike Diogu (pronounced dee AH-goo) comes as an X-factor who can swing the trade favorably toward the Pacers if he lives up to the expectations that were attached to him when he was chosen with the ninth pick in the 2005 draft, eight spots ahead of Danny Granger.

"It's a chance to show people what I can do," he said. "I'm a young player so I have a lot to learn. Every aspect of the game, I have a lot of room for growth. It's definitely encouraging." -- Indianapolis Star

Owner 'Ain't Happy'
Jan 20 - "Whenever it gets to the point that I don't want to win, I'm quitting," Ed Snider said. "If that's the way I have to be responsible for the team, I'm quitting.
"If you think I'm sleeping well ... I'm miserable. This is the worst year I've ever spent in sports, and I ain't happy."

Asked, though, about the Sixers' current state, Snider said: "It isn't good. We're going to do what it takes to make it better. And that's Billy Kings's job. "Billy has to figure out what he has to do," the chairman said. "When he tells me what that is, I'll tell him what I think." -- Philadelphia Daily News

Collins Fumes
Jan 20 - Jarron Collins watched Jerry Sloan's signal, turned away from the team's huddle and shouted ... well, a rather blunt one-word opinion.
"It's just bull----" Collins said. "Eight points, two rebounds in seven minutes, and I can't get back in the game?"

He believed he had earned more time. "I want to play, but he's not playing me," Collins fumed. "But it's the coach's prerogative. It's his decision. It's just bull----" -- Salt Lake Tribune

Opting Out?
Jan 20 - Eduardo Najera is leaning toward not opting out of his contract next summer.
"It makes sense (to not)," he said. "It's a lot of money to just walk out of."

Najera, making $4.57 million this season, can terminate the final year of his six-year, $24 million deal.

"It depends how we do here," said Najera, who will study the matter after the season. "How we finish here with the playoffs and what kind role I'm going to have." -- Rocky Mountain News

Days Numbered?
Jan 20 - Whether Eddie Griffin remains a member of the Timberwolves today at the conclusion of his five-game drug-test suspension, don't count on seeing him in a game.
An announcement by the team on the issue is likely to be made today, according to a team official.

But even if he remains on the roster, he won't be part of the game plan. -- St. Paul Pioneer Press

Now that Eddie Griffin's five-game NBA suspension for violating the league's drug policy is expired, the Wolves will soon send him packing.
They have offered a buyout. If Griffin and his agent turn it down, the case will wind up in arbitration. And put it this way: The Wolves might have some information to produce at such a hearing. -- Minneapolis Star Tribune

Owner Glen Taylor indicated after the Wolves' double-overtime loss to Detroit Friday night that Griffin had played his last game with the team. He said the 6-10 player's status would be resolved in the coming week, suggesting the Wolves would release or arrange a buyout with Griffin.
"Not a suspension. It'll be a long-term deal," Taylor said. -- Minneapolis Star Tribune

Gavin Fires Back
Jan 20 - Furthering the he-said/he-said saga surrounding Kings point guard Jason Hart, team co-owner Gavin Maloof said Friday that Hart's agent, Bill Neff, did not call him or Joe Maloof to discuss his client's playing time.
"Unless he called the wrong number, I never received a message from him," Gavin said. "Neither did Joe. And I never had anybody tell me to call him back. I never got a call from him. I never did."

Gavin Maloof also took exception to Neff's insinuation that the team's owners might have been responsible for Hart's lack of playing time. -- Sacramento Bee

JMarkJohns
01-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I know he's a bonehead, but if the price was right, I'd hope the Suns would consider looking into Griffin. A 6-10 athlete with range and shotblocking ability fits what they do. He could easily play 10-15 minutes off the bench, keep the offense spread and help with a blocked shot per.

A scrub and a 2nd-rounder sounds good to me.

himat
01-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Monta Ellis? :greedy

Amare_32
01-20-2007, 04:42 PM
I know he's a bonehead, but if the price was right, I'd hope the Suns would consider looking into Griffin. A 6-10 athlete with range and shotblocking ability fits what they do. He could easily play 10-15 minutes off the bench, keep the offense spread and help with a blocked shot per.

A scrub and a 2nd-rounder sounds good to me.

They are better off getting Nazr Mohammed.
________
512 (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_512)
________
Peak Towers Condominium Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

JMarkJohns
01-20-2007, 05:45 PM

Yeah, because his hands of stone and 2-foot range are exactly what D'Antoni loves in his big men :rolleyes

I'll take Nazr, but I'm not D'Antoni. If D thought little of Hunter and Nazr is only a slight improvement (mostly in rebounding), then I doubt he bites. He'd rather have a guard than a big.

Amare_32
01-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah, because his hands of stone and 2-foot range are exactly what D'Antoni loves in his big men :rolleyes

I'll take Nazr, but I'm not D'Antoni. If D thought little of Hunter and Nazr is only a slight improvement (mostly in rebounding), then I doubt he bites. He'd rather have a guard than a big.

Eddie Griffin is no better. Both Nazr and Griffin tend to disappear.
________
Vapir no2 (http://vaporizer.org/portable)
________
Zoloft help (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

JMarkJohns
01-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm not saying Griffin is a good player. Merely a good fit. He's got range (32-to-35% from range), he's got shot blocking skills (close to 1.5-per in 20 minutes a game for his career), he rebounds well (over 5+per in 20 minutes a game for his career) and he's big (6-10, 230) and athletic enough to run.

He fits a need with the required wants, not just fills a position like Nazr likely would. I'm not saying either would play much, just that D'antoni might be more inclined to play Griffin with his offensive ability than Nazr or Hunter for their lack of the same.

Bob Lanier
01-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Are you insane?